Newbie 2090 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
BigTerp
BigTerp
He
Goon
BigTerp
He
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #975 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:55 pm

Post by BigTerp »

In post 967, furtiveglance wrote:BigTerp tysm for saving me 2 nights in a row. I was trying to pretend I had a guilty on Somnus a bit
It was literally a coin toss between you and Luke night 1. Was kicking myself tell hard after I saw like was NK'd.

Your persistence on Somnus day 2 and the fact I had TTTT pegged as his partner is what made me want to protect you again. TTTT's post here viewtopic.php?p=13298148#p13298148 where he was proclaiming how town I was felt like a ploy to get me protected at night so mafia could kill the player they wanted. I'm my mind it was Furtive.
GoldfishFromTheMoon
GoldfishFromTheMoon
She/He/They/Xe
Goon
GoldfishFromTheMoon
She/He/They/Xe
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/He/They/Xe

Post Post #976 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:56 pm

Post by GoldfishFromTheMoon »

In post 972, marcistar wrote:i
i think out of everyone, goldfishfromthemoon was really admirable for this game. they took on the challenge of the slot they replaced into and it didn't really look like they wanted to throw in the towel. though everybody played good, this is what stands out the most in my eyes at least.
Thank you!! ( :
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #977 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:30 pm

Post by Alianna »

In post 216, Alianna wrote:My very primitive reads list that is very much subject to change:

Slightly Townish People

Mr Turtle - Initial gut feeling says townie and I like the logic in 183 and 202.

Somnus - Similar reasons to Mr Turtle.

furtiveglance - My points in 177 still stand, but their defenses in 184 and 209 have leaned me in a townish direction.

Nulls

TTTT - You are entirely unreadable.

PlmPestPlaY - Hasn’t posted enough to get an impression.

Lukewarm - I get a slightly off vibe but I have zero evidence so I’m not going to call them scum.

Slightly Scummy People

BigTerp - furtive has convinced me not to vote for them but I still find their logic strange for reasons that have already been discussed.

marcistar - Not liking 169. The read on furtive was questionable. Felt like she was fishing for reasons to find them scummy. I didn’t see any of the things she was talking about. 204 seems suspicious as well but I would expect that more from newbie scum. So not sure quite what to think.

I'm a scumhunting god.
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #978 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 pm

Post by Alianna »

I would like to apologize to the town.
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #979 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:52 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

Oh, and @Somnus it was not the cop emoji that was supposed to be my pr hint. It was this:
In post 640, Lukewarm wrote: Not sure I know how to feel about it with her being this open with it though. Definitely something to think about over the night phase
"Definitely something to think about over the night phase" was me faking that I was going to be targeting her with something over the night.

It was not supposed to look like an "I am a pr" comment, more of leaving myself something to point at to say "see guys, I said who I was gonna check"
PlmPestPlaY
PlmPestPlaY
Townie
PlmPestPlaY
Townie
Townie

Post Post #980 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:35 pm

Post by PlmPestPlaY »

In post 975, BigTerp wrote:
In post 967, furtiveglance wrote:BigTerp tysm for saving me 2 nights in a row. I was trying to pretend I had a guilty on Somnus a bit
It was literally a coin toss between you and Luke night 1. Was kicking myself tell hard after I saw like was NK'd.

Your persistence on Somnus day 2 and the fact I had TTTT pegged as his partner is what made me want to protect you again. TTTT's post here viewtopic.php?p=13298148#p13298148 where he was proclaiming how town I was felt like a ploy to get me protected at night so mafia could kill the player they wanted. I'm my mind it was Furtive.
I also targeted furtiveglance night 1, despite being a bit suspicious of Mr Turtle. I was surprised when you flipped doctor, since I thought Lukewarm would have been the obvious choice night 1. I guess Somnus was also the obvious choice for me on night 1. I guess when you roll PR you try to balance who looks most scummy/towny vs who is most involved in the game. GG everyone.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #981 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:50 am

Post by TTTT »

GG to all
was very fun
I have a lot of thoughts to share but they'll have to wait for tonight
just got off my ship and now have to drive home
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #982 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:51 am

Post by TTTT »

I will just say for now that this game was won because of townhunting
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #983 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:55 am

Post by TTTT »

OK I have another minute here
furtive, be careful doing what you were trying to do
with softing a fake guilty
it was obvious
but also you left some gaps
which made it obvious you didn't actually have a guilty
check my PT for one example
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #984 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:56 am

Post by TTTT »

I echo Luke: scumchat was fantastic
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #985 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:11 am

Post by TTTT »

In post 978, Alianna wrote:I would like to apologize to the town.
No apology needed!
your slot was likely saved from miselim because of your early day1 play
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #986 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:15 am

Post by TTTT »

In post 961, Frozen Angel wrote:Great game everyone. Thanks for playing and I hope that you enjoyed it.

It was the first game I modded in a long time so I hope that I did the necessary. I'll try to moderate a game in the mini-theme queue in the next 20 days and you're all invited ^.^
Great modding, FA!
you grabbed pagetops and stayed in the background finding replacements
solid work
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #987 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:05 am

Post by TTTT »

Scumteam

You guys had one of the better scumchats I've seen in a Newbie game. You bounced a lot of ideas off each other. I think I'd enjoy being scum a lot more if I got to be scum with either of you.

You had a much deeper understanding of setups and strategy than most scumteams made up of newer players.

You lost because:
1) You didn't out or kill any PRs until night2.
2) Town started making themselves obvious.

I'll also point out that when I fake-hammered you Somnus, you recognized that it might not have been a valid vote (it wasn't, and I'd checked with our mod ahead of time to confirm). You could have townspewed there. It was a risk for me to give you that opportunity, but I thought it more likely you were unaware of that particular part of FA's ruleset and would tell the truth, than be aware of it and fake spew town.

Turtle, you were almost universally townread for . I was the only one who didn't like it and I never adequately explained why. Re-reading it now I still have a hard time pointing to exactly what I don't like about it, but I'll try. Basically you were asked "who looks scummy to you?" and your response was very very well put together. Too well put together. Marci just wants to know who is scummy to you and you give her a detailed post with links and very formal writing "Currently, I have him as a scum-lean." "He's in the null range for me, but I'd love to see a bit more thoughts even if they're basic and bare-boned." etc. It just didn't feel like how town reacts to that type of question at that stage of the game. I hate to say it appeared "try-hard" because I don't want to encourage laziness from town (hypocritical, I know), but it's a bit of that. It's also a bit off that the person asking for your scumreads is the person you end up voting, yet you spent a lot of time casing two other players in the same post. It would have been more natural to make a post voting her and explaining why and then just listing the other two players who you also scumleaned. Sorry for the long explanation. I might also have just been "right for the wrong reasons" here. :]

Turtle, you'll be a formidable scum player when you interact live more often. You seemed largely absent from the ongoing discussions and then would drop in with a long well-thought out post. That works day1, but if town is finding each other you will get left out of that.

Somnus, your early day1 stuff was tonally very solid.

Overall an impressive effort from two newer players.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #988 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:16 am

Post by TTTT »

Furtive

You make the game more fun. Yes, it's hard to read you, but I eventually got there.

Let's talk about your soft fake guilty on Somnus...

First, I'll give you props for the read and sticking to it!

But... I gotta tell you that that could have ended very badly for town. It was clear that you were trying to soft a guilty. But I also wasn't buying it and this sealed it for me:
Spoiler:
In post 887, furtiveglance wrote:I can't see Somnus and PPP as a pair. The mafia team is therefore Somnus/GoldfishFromtheMoon, or PPP/Goldfish.

So then I have to figure out which of these is true:
"Furtive is an investigative and has a guilty on Somnus"
or
"Furtive is scum and is settting up to fakeclaim a guilty on Somnus"
or
"Furtive is VT and is softing a fake guilty on Somnus"

It is VERY hard to come to that third conclusion. And if you had actually fake-claimed a guilty it would have likely lost us the game because it would have resulted in a PR outing themselves in counterclaim.

So yeah, never fakeclaim (or soft) a guilty if you are VT. At least not in a Newbie game.

But I give you kudos for 1) the read on Somnus that evaded me, and 2) having the balls to try something tricky like that.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #989 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:17 am

Post by TTTT »

Luke

I already said it. You did everything you needed to do.
Look town.
Eat a NK.

Even if the NK was for the emoji cop and not your actual soft. :cop:
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #990 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:20 am

Post by TTTT »

Alianna & Goldie

You both actually played just fine. I know you probably don't feel like you did, but you avoided being elim'd through your interactions. I'm not just saying this to be nice. You both looked town the more you posted. The only problem was that a slot that replaces with newer players often and with not a ton of content is often scum in Newbie games. And then the newbscum greeting didn't help.

Please stick around.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #991 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:30 am

Post by TTTT »

BigTerp

You were the towniest town to ever town. The same way that Luke felt about my meta digging (when it really wasn't necessary for me to do so) is how I felt about you writing game advancing posts when scum!you had no reason to do so, and it would have benefitted scum!you to let the game stagnate. If you had been scumread by others at that point it could have been a scum move to try to appear town by advancing the game, but you had no reason if you were scum to do that.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #992 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:32 am

Post by TTTT »

PPP

As the game progressed you just got townier and townier. That's actually a very good way to play as a PR, as long as it isn't obvious that you are trying to do that.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #993 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:33 am

Post by TTTT »

Marci

Sorry for the day1 miselim. I wish you hadn't given up. It felt at some point that the elim was inevitable.

Still, you win whether dead or alive, so cheers!
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #994 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:46 am

Post by TTTT »

From my private thread:
based on Turtle's readslist
if he's scum I'd guess the partner is Somnus or Luke
I think it's constructive to break this down a bit...

Newer players tend to null or scumlean their partner (Somnus points this out in the scumchat btw), but beyond this they also often give reasons that are fence-sitting or express confusion about the slot, so that they have wiggle room to change the read later if they need to bus or TR their partner and not look bad for the read change. If I wasn't TTTT myself I would have added TTTT to the list of possible partners.
In post 276, Mr Turtle wrote: Yeah, I'll give a short reads list (with colors!).

BigTerp
- You have a very straight forward and therefore transparent thought process, which I like. Although you sometimes take jokes seriously, you ask a lot of questions. You are open to understand and to re-assess, which makes me believe that you aren't just looking for someone to push but that you are actually trying to solve the game.

Alianna
- Their entrance seemed authentic. Their interactions with TTTT are definitely not something I'd expect a first time player to fake. Their transparency is also towny. Overall, they seem very comfortable in the thread. Also a hedgey reads list, which I once again will attribute to newness. I do hope that they come back soon, though.

TTTT
- TTTT has interestingly given little explanations to their posts. It's something I have seen a lot of more experienced players do, though for what I do not know. I also believe this is what makes them hard to read. The posts and explanations I've seen from them have been towny this far. Their ISO features a lot of live interaction with other people which I know is hard to fake.

Somnus
- I don't really know what to do with them. They have a high volume of posts and they're playing aggressively. This implies that they aren't afraid to be loud, which is good for town. For this reason alone I'll town-lean them, but I need to re-assess this sooner or later.

Lukewarm
- Hasn't been around much. Their opinion on furtiveglance seems to come from a genuine place, but they haven't done much else notable.

furtiveglance
- Explained above

PImpPestPlaY
- Explained above

marcistar
- Explained above

---------------------

As far as comments on your reads list goes: What do you think of Alianna's posts on page 1 & 2? Do you think that it's fakeable for their first game, especially with regards to their transparency towards TTTT? I definitely agree with you about Lukewarm being the least memorable. I'm hoping that they will post a bit more today. Also, is the reads list ordered? If so, why are Somnus + PPP above TTTT?
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #995 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:47 am

Post by TTTT »

You are all beautiful geniuses and I hope to play again with you soon.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #996 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:10 pm

Post by TTTT »

even if none of you came back to talk to me after the game ended... :(
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #997 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:47 pm

Post by Alianna »

In post 996, TTTT wrote:even if none of you came back to talk to me after the game ended... :(
Oof, sorry.
GoldfishFromTheMoon
GoldfishFromTheMoon
She/He/They/Xe
Goon
GoldfishFromTheMoon
She/He/They/Xe
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/He/They/Xe

Post Post #998 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:57 pm

Post by GoldfishFromTheMoon »

In post 996, TTTT wrote:even if none of you came back to talk to me after the game ended... :(
Sorry we're all focused on pur current games I think.
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #999 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:04 pm

Post by Alianna »

In post 990, TTTT wrote:
Alianna & Goldie

You both actually played just fine. I know you probably don't feel like you did, but you avoided being elim'd through your interactions. I'm not just saying this to be nice. You both looked town the more you posted. The only problem was that a slot that replaces with newer players often and with not a ton of content is often scum in Newbie games. And then the newbscum greeting didn't help.

Please stick around.
Good to know I was less bad than I thought lol. I wish I hadn’t had to replace out but oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”