Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective [Case I]

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective [Case I]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Post by diginova »

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
sherlock holmes

Click map to enlarge.

Welcome to the streets of Victorian London. The fog is rolling in and murder is in the air, and you, as one of the Baker Street Irregulars, are out to solve the crime. Wander into the opium den beneath the Bar of Gold, but beware, that may be Colonel Sebastian Moran lurking in the corner. Be on the lookout for the giant rat of Sumatra as you roam the docks of London. Help Sherlock Holmes keep the Empire safe from the forces of evil.

Holmes's London Map

Holmes's London Map is a simplified street map of Victorian London. It gives a pictorial view of the area in which all the cases occur. There are approximately five hundred numbered locations, or Clue Points, that represent specific places (orange), such as Scotland Yard or the Bank of England, or general purpose locations (yellow). Each clue point is designated a number, and the Map has been divided into five sections corresponding to London's postal districts. Each is represented by two letters, clockwise from top left: NW (North West), WC (West Central), EC (East Central), SE (South East) and SW (South West). Thus, when you are given the address 39 Aldersgate EC, you will know that it is located in the upper right section (EC), on Aldersgate Street, in the space labeled 39.

Holmes's Lecture of 1886

Holmes's Lecture of 1886, reproduced below, provides background information as to the people and resources that will prove invaluable in solving the cases presented. The locations given are also listed at the start of the Telephone Directory.

Newspaper Archive

The Newspaper Archive is a collection of newspapers, one for each case, which may provide clues and information pertaining to the cases. Feel free to refer to them at any point during the game. All newspapers from previous cases are also available to view.

London Directory

The Directory contains an alphabetical listing of most characters and places mentioned or alluded to in the cases. There are also categorised places; for example, if a murder is committed with poison, you may wish to visit the various chemists and apothecaries listed in the Directory.

Game Play

There will be five main Irregulars, who will have final say in determining which Clue Point to go to on their turn. Anyone else may discuss options with them, even players not in the game, but all communication must take place in-thread. Once one Irregular has chosen a Clue Point, or after 48 hours have passed, the next Irregular takes their turn and so on.
When a player thinks they have solved the mystery, they can announce in-thread that they are ready to take the Quiz. If a majority (three) of the Irregulars agree, investigation on the case will cease and final scoring will commence.

The Quiz

Each Quiz is divided into two parts.
Part One
covers the essential questions raised in the case. Each question has a point value attached to it, and Part One is worth a total of 100 points.
Part Two
contains bonus questions which may relate to the case or, in some instances, relate to general Holmes canon.
The final score for the case is determined by taking the quiz score, adding five points for each clue Holmes took to solve the mystery, and then subtracting five points for each clue the Irregulars took to solve the mystery.
Holmes always scores 100 points total, so if you can answer the bonus questions correctly or solve the case quickly, you can beat him at his own game!

The Irregulars

nickthename
Mist7676
JDGA
RedPanda
JasonWazza

Irregulars in Training

Nobody Special
kcdaspot
Last edited by diginova on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 10 times in total.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:34 pm

Post by diginova »

Spoiler: Holmes's Lecture of 1886
Holmes stood next to a map of London which hung on the wall of the sitting room at 221 B Baker Street. Watson intermittently surveyed the scene over the pages of his book, while Holmes paced back and forth in front of a group of attentive youths, his black brier in his right hand, his left in the pocket of his mouse-coloured dressing gown.

"London is not a beautiful city,” began Holmes. "Under the soot that covers its buildings is the residue of the Empire, a teeming mass of four million souls trying to survive, mostly off of each other. Behind this assemblage is a force of evil, a legion of scoundrels weaving their web of iniquity over the city, and in the centre of the web is the master criminal himself, Professor James Moriarty, the greatest schemer of all time, the organizer of every deviltry, the controlling brain of the underworld—a brain which might have made or marred the destiny of nations. That’s the man! But so aloof is he from criticism, so admirable in his management and self-effacement that his true character is unknown to the public and police. This fact must be kept in mind in all your investigations.''

"How has he managed to stay so unknown, Mr. Holmes?”

“That is a good question, Wiggins. Moriarty insulates himself from the crimes he controls and the public with an organization of underlings and thugs who make sure that no thread of evidence can be traced to Moriarty. So you can see that we are not dealing with the ordinary criminal mind and we will need all the help we can get.

“Today we will discuss some of the people who will be of help to you in your investigations. At the start of any investigation you must keep in mind that it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. The people that I will introduce you to at this time will help you collect the facts.

“Our first stop will be
St. Batholomew’s Hospital
or Bart’s." Holmes pointed to 38 EC on the map with the tip of his pipe. “Bart’s is one of the oldest and greatest of London’s hospitals and is one of the medical schools of the London University College. Located here is the office of the Coroner’s Chief Medical Examiner, Sir Jasper Meeks. He is London’s greatest forensic pathologist You can depend on him for all the technical details that can be obtained from a
corpus delecti.

“Will the bodies of murder victims always be taken to Bart’s, Mr. Holmes?’’

“Yes, Wiggins. All deaths that have questionable causes must be examined by the Chief Medical Examiner.

“Our next stop is the
Scotland Yard Criminology Laboratory
, located at 22 Regency-street, SW. Here we meet H.R. Murray, Head Chemist. It is rumoured that Murray lives in the lab; any time of day or night you will find him bent over one of his tables trying to extract the history of a crime from the physical evidence available to him. You can learn much from old H.R. if you can follow the twists and jumps of his thinking; there is no better mind when it comes to interpreting the physical evidence from a crime.

"Wouldn’t it be easier just to go to Scotland Yard, Mr Holmes?” asked Wiggins.

A smile came over Holmes’ face as he lowered himself into the wicker chair. “Yes, let’s talk about
Scotland Yard
If
the Yard would read the reports or knew how to look at the evidence, then there would be no need for our services. Yes, they will get the reports and sometimes they may even read them, but that doesn’t mean that they will know how to interpret them. Gregson and Lestrade are the pick of a bad lot, but you will find that they often twist the facts to fit
their
preconceived theories. But you are right, Wiggins, Scotland Yard, at 13 SW, is a very valuable source of information. The professional police have methods for gathering facts and information that are not open to us.

“At this time I would like to mention another invaluable source of information,
The Office of Records
at number 14 Chancery-lane, WC. This huge fireproof Tudor-style edifice contains legal records, both criminal and civil, as well as state-papers. Your contact there is Disraeli O’Brian, Head Clerk of the Land Records Department, whom you will find a walking, or should I say sitting, encyclopaedia of the office’s affairs over the last thirty years.

“Another records office you should know about is
Somerset House
on the south side of the Strand at 17 WC. The Office of the Registrar-General of Births, Deaths, and Marriages and the Probate Registry are located there. You will also find the Commons Will Office which is a great repository of testamentary writings of all kinds.”

“Who should we contact at Somerset House?” asked Simpson.

“The records are open to the public so you will need no special contact.”

Holmes rose from his chair and stood facing the map while lighting his pipe. When it was started he turned again to his audience and resumed his lecture, “Let's talk a little about the courts. We will have little to do with the official law enforcement establishment, but it is a source of information.
The Criminal Court
, or “Old Bailey” is located at 36 Old Bailey, EC, and should be kept in mind when dealings with known criminals are concerned. You can pick up a lot of information hanging around Old Bailey.

“When I was studying at Bart’s, I would run across to Old Bailey and watch the trials of the day in progress. It was seeing the unimaginative nature of our criminal and legal classes that made up my mind to become a consulting detective. Small cases that show some degree of imagination and challenge are more rewarding than the large crimes that lack anything new.

“There is one young barrister, Edward Hall, whom you will find most days at Old Bailey, who is a cut above the other unimaginative members of his profession. You will find him of assistance.”

“Mr. Holmes!”

"Yes, Simpson?”

"Could you tell me the difference between a barrister and a solicitor?”

"Yes, of course. A solicitor handles the routine legal business of our society. If you do not have to go before a court, then you will have no need for a barrister. If you must go before a court, then your solicitor would engage the services of a barrister. A barrister is a member of the highest class of lawyers who have the exclusive right to plead in superior courts. The particular business of the barrister is the advocacy of causes in open court and, except in criminal cases, he may not undertake a case without the intervention of a solicitor who actually prepares the case for trial.

"This would be a good time to talk about the Inns of Court. Here on the map you will see
Grey's Inn
, 10 WC,
Lincoln's Inn
, 13 WC and
The Temple
, 33 EC. These four great Inns of Court—the Temple is divided into two Inns, the Inner Temple and the Middle Temple—are incorporations for the study of law possessing the exclusive privelege of calling barristers to the Bar. All barristers must belong to one of the four Inns. The Inns contain dining halls, libraries, offices and living quarters for barristers and law students.

“Now that we have looked at the top of the legal society let’s lower our sights a little and look at some other resources available to us. The first is Porky Shinwell."

“I must say, Holmes, you would have to lower your sights a great deal to find Porky Shinwell." Watson laid his book down on his lap and looked up at Holmes for the first time.

“It all depends on where one keeps one’s eyes, my dear Watson. Porky is not a pillar of society, I dare say. But he is a man who has learned from his mistakes and is trying to start a new life on the right side of the law. He has been of great help to us in the past as I expect he will be again in the future. Shinwell Johnson, known as Porky, after two terms at Parkhurst has given up his life of crime for that of innkeeper. He is now the proprietor of the
Raven and Rat Inn
, 52 Hall-street, EC.

“Whose patrons once filled Parkhurst, Millbank and every other prison in the Empire,” interjected Watson before returning to his book.

“Right, Watson, But what better patrons could you have to keep an ear on the underworld of London. You can always get a case, or help on a case, from Porky Shinwell.

“Speaking of the underworld we should mention Fred Porlock. ‘Fred Porlock’ is the assumed name of a member of Moriarty’s criminal organization who has been of immense help on a number of occasions, I don’t know who he is or why he informs on his master, it is enough to know that he does. He communicates with me by post or by leaving a message, usually in code, at
Parsons and Sons Toy Shoppe
, 18 Shaftesbury Avenue, NW.”

"A toy shop?"

"Yes, at times Porlock’s sense of humour shows through. "Now for one of the most valuable sources of information available to you, the newspapers. Approximately 570 newspapers are published in London and its environs. As you know, I have filled one of the upstairs lumber-rooms with back issues of newspapers and I consult them regularly. The press is a most valuable institution, if you only know how to use it. I read nothing but the criminal news and the agony column. You will find the agony columns are most instructive, and the private consulting detective will not want for work so long as they exist.”

"But aren’t most of the things found in those columns insignificant, Mr. Holmes?”

"Insignificant? Perhaps, Mr. Simpson, perhaps. But it has been more important to me to choose a case for its uniqueness and interest than for its significance. The strangest and most unique things are very often connected not with the larger but with the smaller crimes, and occasionally, indeed, where there is reason to doubt whether am positive crime has been committed. One of the reasons I am training you in the art of detection is to enable you to take over part of my case load.

Re member, the more information you get out of the newspapers the more time you will save in solving your case. "I have also found two reporters to be of assistance from time to time. They are Henry Ellis of
The Times
and Quincin Hogg of the
Police Gazette

"Mr. Ellis is the foreign news editor and is a great reservoir of information of what's happening on the continent. He also has an interest in crime news and is always happy to help when he can, but you must be careful of what you tell him or you might find what you confided to him in the next day’s Times. He can be found at his office at 30 EC.

"Quintin Hogg is crime reporter for the
Police Gazette
. He is an ex-police inspector who found the environment of Scotland Yard less than stimulating. He is a good reporter with a strong deductive mind. A very good resource to keep in mind. His address is 35 EC.

"Any questions?"

“Don’t you think you should mention your brother Mycroft?" asked Watson. "After all, he has been of great help to you in the past, Holmes."

“I would rather think that I have been of great help to him, my dear Watson. But you are right, I should tell them something of my brother. He is a great resource when it comes to information about the government.”

“He is the government," said Watson, imitating Holmes’ manner of speaking, which presented the young men seated in front of Holmes the challenge of trying to conceal their mirth.

"Yes, Watson, I have made that statement in regards to my brother,” answered Holmes, less than amused. "He has an extraordinary faculty for figures, and audits the books in some of the government departments. Mycroft lodges in Pall Mall, and he walks round the corner into Whitehall every morning and back every evening. From year’s end to year’s end he takes no other exercise and is seen nowhere else, except only in the Diogenes Club, which is just opposite his rooms. If you ever need his help, you will find him available at the
Diogenes Club
at 8 Pall Mall, SW.

Another person I would like to mention is Langdale Pike, a person who usually gets in the last word. He’s a human reference work on social scandal, especially of the London scene. He contributes bits of gossip to the 'garbage papers' that cater to an inquisitive public. His working hours are spent at the
Societies Club
at 2 St James, SW.

“What about the Central Carriage Stables, Mr. Holmes?” asked Wiggins. “I’ve always had good luck getting information there.”

"That’s a good one, Wiggins. The
Central Carriage Stables
is located at 5 Grey's Inn-road, WC. It is at this location that all of London's cabs are stabled and despatched. I have gotten much valuable information on people's movements by talking to the cab drivers. A good one, Wiggins, a
good
one.”

Holmes again set himself down in his wicker chair. “I guess that is enough for today. Can you think of anything I missed, Watson?”

“What about Lomax at the London Library?”

"Yes, he can be of value. Lomax is a wealth of information and can find anything you need on the full shelves of this great library.

"I think that is enough for today, but I must tell you again that it is of the highest importance in the art of detection to be able to recognize, out of a number of facts, which are incidental and which are vital. Otherwise your energy and attention must be dissipated instead of being concentrated.

"Well, gentlemen, if you will move over to the table, I will ring Mrs Hudson and have her bring up some tea and biscuits.”

"Thank you, Mr. Holmes.”

“My pleasure", responded Holmes. “I am sure we will soon be able to put your talents to work.”

Spoiler: Telephone Directory
For individual names, just post in thread (either first, last, or partial name) and I'll tell you where they are located if they are in the Directory.
Raw scan of full Directory: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/688 ... ECTORY.pdf

PLACES AND PEOPLE IN HOLMES'S LECTURE

Sir Jasper Meeks, Chief Medical Examiner—38 EC
H.R. Murray, Criminologist—22 SW
Disraeli O'Brian—14 WC
Somerset House—17 WC
Edward Hall, Barrister—36 EC
Porky Shinwell, Innkeeper—52 EC
Fred Porlock, Informant—18 NW
Henry Ellis, Reporter,
London Times
—30 EC
Quintin Hogg, Reporter,
Police Gazette
—35 EC
Langdale Pike, Society Columnist—2 SW
Central Carriage Stables—5 WC
Lomax, Librarian—5 SW
Mycroft Holmes—8 SW
Scotland Yard—13 SW

AUCTION HOUSES

Armitage's Gallery—21 NW
Bonham's—12 NW
Christie's—87 SW
Gartling's Art Salon—75 WC
Sotheby's—78 NW

BANKS AND EXCHANGES

Bank of England—23 EC
Capital & Countries—75 NW
City & Suburban—72 EC
Continental Bank—68 WC
Cox & Co.—22 WC
Credit Lyonnais—60 SW
Drummond's Bank—26 WC
Holder & Stevenson—69 EC
Stock Exchange—22 EC
Sylvester's—84 EC
Worthingdon Bank—67 NW

BARRISTERS

Attard, Charles—34 EC
Bakersfield, Woodward—21 NW
Faversham, F.V.—32 WC
Hall, Edward—36 EC
Krantz, Herbert—72 WC
Mason, Cecil—92 EC
Nast, Flavin—29 EC
Robarts, Wilfrid—37 WC
Truax, Robert—34 EC

BATHS

Bell's Baths—11 EC
Chelsea Baths—29 SW
Crown Swimming Baths—20 SE
Haley's—57 WC
Nevill's Turkish Baths—92 WC
St. George's Baths—28 NW

BOARDINGHOUSES

Beaufort House—7 NW
Borough, The—86 SE
Dover Rooms—11 SE
Kent House—7 WC
Knaresborough House—30 SE
Madame Charpentier—59 SE
Mrs. Cory's—25 SE
Mrs. Hawgood's—7 EC
Mrs. Jetley's—7 SE
Mrs. Warren's—76 WC

BOOKSELLERS

Gilbert & Field—41 EC
Hatchard's—63 NW
J. & E. Bumpus—12 NW
Sotheran & Co.—72 WC

BOOKSELLERS - USED & RARE

Dobell—66 WC
Pickering & Chatto—86 SW
Quaritch—66 NW
Steven's—63 WC

CARPETS

Cardinal & Hartford—11 WC
Gregory & Company—79 NW
Shoolbred & Co.—61 WC
Sidley & Sons—32 SE

CHARITIES

Indigent Blind Vis. Soc.—11 WC
Invalid Ladies Est.—92 NW
London Homeopathic—9 WC
Salvation Army—69 EC
Salvation Army Hostel—42 SE
Watt Street Mission—88 EC

CHEMISTS

Ambrecht & Co.—32 NW
Gould & Son—68 EC
John Taylor, Chemist—72 NW
Keene & Ashwell—87 SW
Leath & Ross—85 SE
Squire & Sons—66 WC

CHURCHES

Jesuit Church—69 EC
St. George's Church—81 Nw
St. Mary's Church—19 EC
St. Paul's Cathedral—28 EC
St. Saviour's—2 WC
Scottish National—51 EC
Welsh Calvinist—11 WC
Westminster Abbey—17 SW
Westminster Chapel—88 SW

CLUBS

Anglo-Indian—67 WC
Bagatelle Card Club—14 NW
Baldwin Card Club—88 SW
Carleton—7 SW
Cavendish, The—25 NW
Diogenes Club—8 SW
Irish Social Club—8 SE
Russian Social Club—7 SE
Societies—2 SW
Tankerville—34 WC
West End Social Club—12 WC

COCOA MANUFACTURERS

Cadbury Bros—76 SE
Epps—76 NW
Fry & Son's, J.S.—95 EC

CORONER'S OFFICE

Coroner—91 EC
Medical Examiner—38 EC

CYCLES

Bayliss Cycles—92 EC
Swift Cycle Co.—90 EC

DENTISTS

Harrison Beaufort—23 WC
A.A. Goldsmith—93 NW
G.H. Jones—64 WC

DETECTIVE AGENCIES

Barker's—66 WC
Francis Baird—25 EC
Martin Hewitt—77 SE
Moser's Agency—18 WC
Paschal:Investigations—78 WC
Pinkerton Internat'l—24 NW
Tod's Private Enq.—84 SW

DOCTORS

Agar, Dr. Moore—93 NW
Ainstree, Dr. A.—32 WC
Bestianelli, Dr.—39 EC
Fell, Dr. Gideon—55 WC
Giblisco, Dr.—46 SE
Jackson, Dr.—64 EC
Mason, Dr. Jerrold—29 WC
Richards, Dr.—83 WC
Trevelyan, Dr. Percy—19 SW
Verner, Dr.—60 SE
Watson, Dr. John H.—42 NW

EMBASSIES

American Embassy—18 SW
China Legation—38 NW
French Embassy—59 SW
German Embassy—9 SW
Russian Embassy—54 SW
Spanish Embassy—38 SW

FLORISTS

Finsterwald Florists—46 WC
Grayson's Nursery—50 EC
Mayall's—9 WC
Stirges Florist—31 SW
Waldenboch Florist—24 NW

FURRIERS

Arctic Fur Store—68 WC
Debenham & Freebody—34 NW
Jeff & Harris—24 NW
National Fur Store—64 WC

GOVERNMENT OFFICES

Government Office—14 SW
Colonial Office—91 SW
Foreign Office—92 SW
Home Office—93 SW
India Office—94 SW
Printing Office—95 SW

GUNSMITHS

Colt's Fire Arms Co.—12 NW
Grant Arms Co.—5 EC
Rigby & Co.—1 SW
S. Golf—28 WC
Westley Richards—31 NW
Winchester Arms Co.—21 EC

HOSPITALS

Charing Cross—91 WC
Chelsea Hospital—45 SW
King's College—71 WC
Middlesex Hospital—10 NW
St. Bartholemew's—38 EC
St. George Hospital—57 SW
St. Thomas Hospital—29 SE

INNS OF COURT

Gray's Inn—10 WC
Lincoln's Inn—13 WC
Temple, The—33 EC

INSURANCE COMPANIES

Lloyd's Shipping Reg.—17 EC
London & Globe—79 SW
Pearl Assurance Co.—86 EC
Provident—68 EC
Royal Insurance Co.—68 NW

JEWELERS

A. Marx & Co.—36 SE
Carrington & Co.—33 WC
De Vries Diamond—34 SW
Gross & Hankey's—90 NW
J.W. Benson Ltd.—17 NW
Lambert's—88 SW
Ortner & Houle—75 WC
R.S. Garrard & Co.—44 EC
Rowlands & Frazier—40 NW

NEWSPAPERS

Central Press Syndicate—25 EC
Daily Chronicle—64 EC
Daily Gazette—74 WC
Daily News—71 SE
Daily Telegraph—88 NW
Evening News Standard—9 NW
Pall Mall Gazette—90 SW
Police Gazette—35 EC
St. James Gazette—89 SW
Spectator—51 SE
Sporting Times—47 EC
Standard—40 EC
Star—26 NW
Times—30 EC

PAWNBROKERS

Jabez Wilson—73 EC

POLICE STATIONS

Bow Street—70 WC
Lambeth—53 SE
Old Bailey—36 EC
Scotland Yard—13 SW
Titchfield—89 NW

SETTLEMENT HOUSES

Pembroke Mission—63 SE

TOBACCONISTS

Amber & Co.—35 WC
Benson & Hedges—16 NW
Bradley's—54 NW
Carlin—7 SW
Dunhill's—86 SW
Friboug & Treyer—88 SW
Little Newspaper Shop—9E WC
Mortimer's—95 WC
Simpson's Cigar Divan—20 WC
Wolff, Phillips & Co.—44 SE

WATCHMAKERS

Barraud & Lunds—16 EC
Chas. Frodsham & Co.—38 NW

Spoiler: Newspaper, 20 March 1888
[1]

THE TIMES.

LONDON, TUESDAY, 20 MARCH, 1888. PRICE 3d.

BIRTHS

On the 18th inst., at Clyde House, Clyde-road, Dublin, the wife of Major C.B.H. Jenkins, 19th (Princess of Wales Own) Hussars, of a daughter.

MARRIAGES

On the 14th March, at the British Embassy, Paris, LIEUTENANT-GENERAL NAPIER CAMPBELL to CAROLINE MARGARET DUFF (Mrs. HENRY PRICHARD), daughter of the late Deputy Surgeon-General Charles Murray Duff.

DEATHS

On the 13th March, at the British Legation, Stockholm, of inflammation of the lungs, Mr. Corbett, Her Brittanic Majesty’s Envoy Extraordinaire and Minister Plenipotentiary to His Majesty the King of Sweden and Norway.

On the 16th March, at Little Brickhill, near Bletchley, ASPHODEL, the beloved child of ALEXANDER and KATIE E INLAY, aged one year.

MISCELLANEOUS

MASSAGE and ELECTRICITY—Perfect INSTRUCTION in the most approved system given by a lady. Experienced, practising under the first medical men in London. Terms, four lessons two guineas. Patient attended. London and vicinity.— Mrs. E., 115, Queen’s-road, Bayswater.

DR. SAARI’S MAGIC ELIXIR— Incredible REMEDY for large variety of AILMENTS. Cures colds, coughs, and throat ailments of all types. Bottles 2s. Sold everywhere.

DR. SAARI’S ELIXIR, look for it. Developed by acclaimed physician, Ewell B. Saari.

PERSONAL,&c.

CHARLES WILSON, of Texas—Please SEND ADDRESS to Godfrey C.’s family, Sloane-street Post-office, SW.

TEN POUNDS REWARD—LOST on March 8th, an EARRING, consisting of a tear-drop emerald circled by diamonds. Whoever will take same to 51, Cadogan-street, SW, shall receive the reward.

LOST, a COLLIE DOG, black, with tan eyebrows and paws and white ruff. Wound on right cheek. Name on white metal plate attached to round leather collar. OSCAR TEEVAN, 16, Charing-cross-road, NW. Anyone taking the dog back to that address will be rewarded.

FREE DINNERS to HUNGRY CHILDREN.—The Committee gratefully ACKNOWLEDGES the following DONATIONS in aid of their work, comprising free dinners, soup kitchen, evening shelters for boys and girls, infant day nursery, and other agencies:—Lady Clarendon £2 2s.; Mrs, Edwards, £2 2s.
Miss F.M. GLADSTONE, Hon, Sec. Latymer-road Mission, Blechynden-street, W.

ENTERTAINMENTS

BILLIARD-HALL, 8, Waterloo-place, SW. Monday next to Saturday, GRAND MATCH for £400; ROBERTS, spot barred, v. Middleton, 100 spots in a break. Admission 2s. 6d. and 5s. Table by Wright and Co.

ROYAL, Holborn.—CASCABEL, the sensation of Paris, from Covent-garden Theatre, every evening and Saturday matinees. First appearance in the variety halls for Miss Sandra Gamble.

ART EXHIBITIONS

GROSVENOR GALLERY. 31, NEW BOND-STREET—NOW OPEN. A CENTURY OF BRITISH ART. TWENTY-FIVE HOGARTHS, THIRTY-TWO CONSTABLES, SEVENTEEN GAINSBOROUGHS. ELEVEN TURNERS,
8 Reynolds, 12 Wilkies, &c.
ADMISSION ONE SHILLING.
From 10 to 10.
ELECTRIC LIGHT.
An event not to be missed

SITUATIONS

REQUIRED, in a clergyman’s family, a YOUNG MAN-SERVANT, who has been page under a butler. Total abstainer preferred.—Vicar, 5, Warren-street, Fitzroy-square, NW.

Respectable woman wanted (married preferred), as HOUSE PARLOURMAID. Tall, good waitress, and thoroughly capable servant indispensable. Personal character. Address 22, Page-street, Vincent-square, SW.

TO CAPITALISTS WANTED, a GENTLEMAN with not less than £2,000 to share in the working at a most successful automatic machine which is now earning immense profits. Address E.C.,
Financial Times
, 28, Bridge-row, EC.

BOARD & RESIDENCE, APARTMENTS

BOARD and RESIDENCE, 39, Bedford-place, Russell-square, WC, for families and gentlemen. Conveniently situated. Excellent table. Man-servant. Bath room. Foreign languages understood. Terms moderate.

ITALIAN—A young gentleman wishes to BOARD and RESIDE with an Italian family, living in the neighbourhood of Bayswater, to improve himself in that language. Apply, by letter, A.Q.Z., 36, New Oxford-street, NW.

TRADES

STEINWAY and SONS PIANOFORTES—Gold Medal at the Inventions Exhibition, 1885. Gold Medal at the Society of Arts, 1885. Pianos for sale or hire. Catalogues free. Steinway Hall, 33, Wigmore-street, Portman-square, London, NW.

MUSICAL BOXES—Messrs. NICOLE FRERES, Geneva (Est. 1815). Sole London Depot, 21, King William-street, EC. Highest Exhibition Awards for quality of tone and finish. Write for No. 76 Catalogue post free. Every description of musical box repaired at most moderate charges, or allowed for in exchange.
Also available: Mechanical dolls, reproductions of Royalty and of children, all capable of specific mechanical movements. Works of art and of science; a treat for one and all.

[2]

THE WIMBLEDON MEETING

The last day of the competition in the first stage of the Queen’s Prize was favoured by better weather than the riflemen assembled in Wimbledon Camp have yet enjoyed during the progress of the current meeting. A considerable reduction in the velocity of the wind, which yesterday was registered at 10 miles to the hour, and a welcome rise in temperature rendered the conditions of the meeting far more pleasant than they had been earlier in the week. It has been announced that for some reason or other, the annual and popular match between picked teams of the House of Lords and the House of Commons has been allowed to drop for the present year. Besides the competition for the Queen’s prize, the competition among the Indians and colonists for the valuable Corporations Prize, and among the public school teams for the Ashburton Shield, promise much excitement during the coming week.

The following is a list of the principal scores for the Queen’s Prize:—
Seven shots at each range
Corp. Simcock, 2d Cheshire—93
Lieut. Golding, Berkshires—91
Sir Clayton Partridge—90
Capt. Kent, 5th Northumberland—89
Count von Schulenberg—88
Col. Sebastian Moran—87
Phillip Marlowe—86
Pte. Hollis, 19th Middlesex—84
Lord Astley Denham—83
Emile Zobar—82
Sgt. Murray, 1st Edinburgh—81

First stage principal diagrams: 600 yds; 7 shots in military positions. Dimensions of target, 6 ft. square; bull’s eye, 24 in. in diameter.

PARLIAMENTARY INTELLIGENCE

House of Commons, Monday, March 19 The speaker took the chair shortly after 3 o’clock

JUDICIAL RENTS IN IRELAND

In reply to Mr. J.E. ELLIS, COLONEL KING-HARMON said,—
The number of applications to fix judicial rents awaiting adjudication in the Land Commission on the 1st of March, 1887, was 10,668. The number on the 1st of March, 1888, was 62,157.

THE ARTILLERY VOLUNTEERS

In reply to Mr. MARK STEWART, Mr. E. STANHOPE said,—
The Artillery Volunteers are permitted to wear the same uniform as the Royal and Militia Artillery, except that they wear silver lace where the others wear gold lace.

In reply to another question from Mr. MARK STEWART,
Mr. E. STANHOPE said the average number of Artillery Volunteers for the last two years attending at Shoeburyness was 1,756, and at Barry Links 1,232.

BURGLARIES

To the Editor of the Times

Sir.—The Press and the public generally should force our timid, halting officials to take energetic action against certain forms of crime. May I suggest that—

1. Any person committing a burglary or robbery from the person, accompanied by violence or brutality, be flogged.
2. Any burglar or other thief having upon him a revolver, or other distinctly murderous weapon, be flogged.
3. The police force be increased, especially mounted patrols in certain localities.
4. Certain constables be armed with revolvers.
5. The police generally have a “freer hand” in dealing with crimes of robbery or violence.
6. More activity among the members of the police force be insisted on by the Chief Commissioner.
7. The public should be officially informed as to the legality, or otherwise, of using firearms in defence of their lives and property.

Experience shows, however, the futility of expecting the “authorities” ever to take the lead in these matters. They never do anything until forced.

Yours faithfully,
ONE OF THE PUBLIC

ARMS TRADE FAIR CLOSES

The International Arms Trade Fair, which opened at the Royal Agricultural Hall March 4th, closed yesterday with a 21-gun salute to the Queen which reverberated around the city.

The closing ceremonies began earlier in the awarding of Gold Medals for excellence. Accepting five medals on behalf of the Krupp Works was the Countess von Schulenberg, bride of 5 months to the German Military Attache and the archetype of the fair-haired Rhine maiden. A gold medal was also awarded to the
Societe Bacri Freres
and accepted by Emile Zobar, French Military Attache.

Hector del Guerra, military attache to the Spanish Embassy, stirred the large crowd with a magnificent speech.

The affair was marred by several demonstrators sporting anti-arms placards. Alexi Meshkoff, Russian Military Attache, was struck in the head by a tomato.

LITTLE EGYPT MAKES A HIT

Last night the Tivoli was the scene of a novel divertissement. Little Egypt, that agile and beautiful exponent of the graceful, sensuous Oriental
dame du venire,
entertained all present with her lithesome, swaying body.

A nimble-fingered pianist who was up in profane music sounded the opening chords of the wicked dance and, with writhing and twisting body, Little Egypt stepped out the measure while all the men looked on with open-mouthed astonishment. Louder and louder banged the piano, more and more rapidly the abdominal muscles of the dancer twitched. Her eyes gleamed with the excitement of it all and her bosom heaved with tantalizing irregularity. With a crash of chords the dance ceased and the men were left with silence broken only by long drawn out sighs from a couple of the gentlemen.

Little Egypt, who is known as Hatasu Asquith off stage, has come to England by way of Egypt and Syria. Vague rumours persist that she was deported for illegal political activities in those countries, but quite a few Englishmen are glad to have her here.

[3]

FOREIGN NEWS

We have received the following telegrams through the Reuters’ Agency:—

INDIAN MISSION

We understand that the Viceroy of India has decided that his eldest son, Lord Clandeboye, shall accompany the mission to Cabul.

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY

Vienna, March 17
The little Princess Elizabeth, daughter of the Crown Prince and Princess, fell from her carriage to-day when the Prater flew open. Happily, she suffered no injury.

FATAL FIRE IN NEW YORK

New York, March 19
A fire broke out to-day in an apartment on an upper storey of a house in this city. Believing all other means of escape to becut off. the occupants of the room jumped from the window into the street below. One of them was killed and seven others were injured in their fall.

FATAL EXPLOSION OF SHELL

St. Petersburg, March 19
This afternoon, as a wagon-load of old artillery material, which a dealer in iron had bought from the Government at public auction, was being discharged at the purchaser’s place of business, a 9 in. shell, supposed. but erroneously to have been duly unleaded, burst in the midst of a number of people. Sixteen persons, including four children, were killed on the spot, and several others were more or less seriously injured.

THE CHOLERA

Rome, March 19
The cholera returns for the past 24 hours report 115 cases and 36 deaths in the province of Brindisi, being a decrease of 32 cases and 12 deaths as compared with the preceding day.

To-day’s figures include 11 cases and three deaths in the town of Brindisi, 44 cases and 17 deaths at Francavilla Fontana, 23 cases and 10 deaths at Latiano, and 20 cases and one death at Bon Vito.

Three cases and two deaths are reported from Codigoro.

Trieste, March 19
From noon yesterday until the same hour to-day there have been three fresh cases of cholera and one death in this city.

Fiume, March 19
Six fresh cases of cholera and three deaths occurred here during the past 24 hours.

THE NEW POLAR EXPEDITION

New York, March 19
Colonel Gilder, who was arrested yesterday when on the point of of starting for his Polar expedition, has not been released on bail, as at first reported. He denies the charge preferred against him of having misappropriated a bond entrusted to his care.

His lawyer promised speedy action and counter-measures against what he termed, “wholly unfounded charges.”

MR. GLADSTONE AND THE IRISH LEADERS

Mrs. J. Thomas, of Wooburn, Bucks, having sent Mr. Gladstone a copy of her pamphlet has received the following acknowledgement:—“Dear Madam,—I thank you for your book on the Irish Nationalist leaders. Your production is, in my opinion, wise and timely, for even we, who are frankly devoted to the cause, have not always, perhaps, done that justice to the men which history will certainly award. Yours, &c., W.E. GLADSTONE. Pray use this note as you think fit.”

DARING DAYLIGHT ROBBERY

R.S. Garrard and Co. Jewelers was the scene of a daring theft yesterday afternoon. The burglar apparently threw a smoke bomb from the floor of the store onto stairs leading to the offices above. As store employees raced to fight the "fire." the thief looted a display case of jewels valued in the thousands of pounds.

Scotland Yard’s chief suspect in the crime is Thomas O’Neill, an internationally known jewel thief who was known to have been in London within the last several days. However, the police report no success in their attempts to apprehend O’Neill.

Garrard’s is offering a reward of £500 for information leading to the capture of the perpetrator of this crime and the restoration of the stolen jewels.

SUSPECTED THIEF FOUND STRANGLED

The body of Pierre Matin, suspected international jewel thief, was found early yesterday floating in the Thames. He had apparently been strangled to death. Although Matin, a citizen of France, had been detained by authorities in many countries in connection with various thefts over the years, he had never been convicted of any crime. The police have nosuspects at this time, but report that the murderer must be powerfully built as the physical evidence indicates the victim was strangled with bare hands.

LATEST INTELLIGENCE

(From Our Correspondents)

INDIA

Calcutta, March 19
Intelligence from Chittagong of yesterday’s date states that a raid on a Meong village is reported from the Chaima Valley, near Tainchi. Three of the inhabitants were killed and 24 taken prisoners. A band of Meongs, with a detachment of frontier police, have gone in pursuit of the raiders.

The headless body of the European who had been missing since the attack by Kuki raiders on Lieutenant Stewart’s surveying party in the Chittagong hills has been discovered near the British camp.

THE SUEZ CANAL QUESTION

Paris, March 19
Several journals announce this evening that M. Flourens has received a reply from England concerning the modifications proposed by the Porte in the Suez Canal Convention. This reply is stated to differ only in some unimportant details from the views held by France, so that a complete accord between the British and French governments on the subject is imminent.

THE LATE EMPEROR WILLIAM

Melbourne, March 19
Memorial services for the late Emperor William were held yesterday in many churches in the capitals of the various Australasian colonies.

DE VRIES DIAMONDS NEVER FOUND

This month marks the first anniversary of the daring De Vries Diamond theft. Scotland Yard is apparently no closer to discovering the whereabouts of the stolen gems now than they were a year ago.

Nat Cook, who was convicted of the crime and is now serving a sentence in Millbank Prison, persists in his claims of innocence.

The manager of De Vries testified that two men committed the robbery, and two men were tried. But only Cook was convicted. Jonathan Small, his co-defendant, was acquitted.

The reward for the recovery of the diamonds continues to be offered by De Vries, but thus far no one has stepped forward to claim the prize.

BENEFIT TOMORROW — At the Conservatory for the Royal Society of Horitculture. A sale of flower-bearing plants and seeds. Open to the public.

INQUEST

To-morrow at St. Bartholomew’s, into the death of Sylvia Carrasco. Any interested parties are urged to attend.

Retraction:
In yester-day’s paper we mistakenly reported Jess Fyer had died. He is alive and well. Our apologies.
Last edited by diginova on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Post by diginova »

(reserved)
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Post by diginova »

(reserved)
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Post by diginova »

(reserved)
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
JDGA
JDGA
Goon
JDGA
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:48 am

Post by JDGA »

/in sure why not
Fickle, cold and harsh or caring and warm
Strongly opinionated or barely invested, but a constant
You know the wind will always come back.
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:01 am

Post by diginova »

One more and the case begins.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

/in
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Post by diginova »

Despite the lateness of the month, March is still roaring like a lion. In fact, just as we alight from our cab in front of 221B Baker, a derby hat skitters by propelled by the fierce wind. In close pursuit is none other than Wiggins, chief of the Baker Street Irregulars and. after Dr. Watson, Sherlock Holmes' most able assistant. Before we can join in the chase, Wiggins manages to halt the flying bit of finery with a deft stroke of his umbrella. Cramming it squarely on his head, he saunters back towards us.

“Hello,” he says cheerily. “It would appear that Mr. Holmes is summoning the troops. Shall we?"

With the point of his umbrella, a very versatile tool it appears, Wiggins stabs the doorbell. It is several moments before Mrs. Hudson answers. After a brief exchange of greetings, she sends us on our way to Holmes' apartment.

Above, we find Holmes and Dr. Watson sitting at a table engaged in earnest conversation with a gentleman in his late forties, expensively dressed yet somewhat rumpled in appearance.

“Warm yourselves" says Holmes, “and I will explain my reasons for calling you out on such a bitter morning.”

Coats and hats are immediately shed—there is a distinct ‘pop’ as Wiggins removes his derby—and a rush is made for the fireplace. In due course introductions are made, and the gentleman is identified as Mr. Richard Allen, brother of the late Courtney Allen, president of the Grant Arms Company.

“It is the recent death of Mr. Allen’s late brother,” says Holmes, “that occasions his visit to us. Briefly, Courtney Allen was found shot to death in an alley behind his office on the evening of March 9th at approximately 7:00 p.m. by the constable on patrol. Scotland Yard has put the crime down as a simple robbery ‘by person or persons unknown,’ largely due to the fact that the victim’s wallet was found empty near the body and his gold pocket watch was missing. Mr. Allen was just telling us a bit about his brother when you arrived. Please continue, Mr. Allen.”

“Well, Courtney was a dynamic individual. Always busy, forever on the move. Yet he had the unique ability to make ten minutes spent with you seem like an hour, so complete was his attention to you. Of course, his charm worked like a magic potion on the ladies.”

“You said he was married?” asks Watson with a raised eyebrow,

“Oh, yes... poor Beatrice.”

“Was he involved in an, ah, in an affair at the time of his death?” asks Wiggins.

“Yes, I believe he was, but I have no clue as to who the lady might have been. You see, the night before he was killed, I popped ’round to his office at about half-past five and managed to coax him to supper at Keen’s. We were there but a short while when Courtney begged leave. He indicated that he had an important meeting, said ‘Auf Wiedersehen,’ and winked. That wink meant a woman.”

"Is the company financially sound?” asks Watson.

“Oh, quite. A fine investment for anyone’s portfolio. You see, the company was founded as a small gun shop some seventy-odd years ago by our great-uncle Thaddeus Grant. It catered to a very elite clientele.”

“Most of the chaps in the regiment were equipped with pistols from Grant’s,” nods Watson. ”Why, Braxton—you’ve heard me speak of Braxton, Holmes—he had a pair of the finest duelling pistols—”

“Yes, Watson. Pray continue, Mr. Allen.”

“Courtney, always fascinated by firearms, apprenticed himself to Uncte Thaddeus. When Thaddeus died in 1873, he bequeathed the business to Courtney. While maintaining the original shop and its tradition, Courtney expanded into the international arms trade. With loans and the sale of public stock, he was able to build a plant at 12 Deverell-street for the manufacture of heavy ordnance. Today the firm is debt-free and very profitable. Of course, a drop in the share price occurred with the news of my brother's death.”

“Who has ascended to the presidency?” asks Watson.

“Courtney’s picked successor, Phillip Marlowe, the 2nd vice-president.”

“And why not the senior vice-president?”

“Young Lord Ragland, who runs the Deverell-street plant is a brilliant technician but a most inept businessman.’’

“Who inherits your brother’s stock?”

“His wife, Beatrice.”

“Now I think we might examine the effects found with your brother.” So saying, Holmes turns his attention to a briefcase and a large, brown envelope.

“It looks as if some sharp object has been used on it,” comments Watson, referring to a long gouge on the leather of the briefcase.

“Yes, and it’s practically brand-new. I gave it to Courtney for his last birthday, January 6th. As you can see, it is locked. The police found it that way. Courtney kept the key on a chain attached to his watch fob. The watch, of course, was stolen.

Holmes retrieves a long piece of wire from the coal scuttle. After gaining Allen’s permission, he inserts it into the lock and, with a quick flick of the wrist, springs the lock open.

He pulls out several folders for our examination. Each is filled with company papers and is coded to indicate its contents. One marked ML-C, for instance, concerns various coal mine leases. Another, marked S-87-R, contains a listing of sales to the Russian Government during the preceding year. One folder is empty. It is marked SP#10-A.

Holmes then empties the contents of the envelope onto the table. The inventory includes: spectacles and case, a ruby ring, a gold wedding band, a key chain with keys, an empty wallet, a small notebook and a note which reads: “Meet me tonight at Spaniard’s - 10 - A.M.”

Seizing on the notebook. Holmes observes, “There are two entries on the day of your brother’s death. ‘Capt. Egan — 8:30 p.m!!' Can you tell us who

Captain Egan might be, Mr. Allen?”

“I've never heard the name.”

The other entry is, ’Plant — 8 a.m. — surprise!’... The previous day’s entry is 'Bishop's F — 8:50 p.m.’ and a notation that it's 'Billy's Mother's Birthday.'" "'Billy' is Courtney's secretary, William Linhart."

Holmes compares the writing in the notebook with that of the note. They appear to be identical. He nods and says, “I believe we have enough to begin our investigation."

After Allen has gone, Wiggins comments that his hand gestures were most intriguing. "Combining infinite subtlety with tremendous force, it is easy to imagine that he has no trouble making his wishes known on the floor of the London Stock Exchange."

“I don't recall Allen giving out his occupation," says Watson, puzzled.

"No," replies Wiggins, “but certain phrases he spoke, coupled with the penciled notations on his left shirt cuff, stock prices surely, led me to conclude that he was a stockbroker."

“Bravo, Wiggins! Well, Watson, our young man has come a long way since the days when you described him as ‘a dirty, little street arab' eh?”

“Thank you, Mr. Holmes, but, after all, I was taught by the master."

"True," says Holmes matter-of-factly. “Quite true."
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Post by diginova »

Player order has been randomized.

The Newspaper Archive has been updated!

The London Directory has been updated!

Nobody Special
, you have control for the first Clue Point.

Investigation Turns:
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Post by Mist7676 »

Wow, a lot of reading to do ^___^ I'l; read up tomorrow, but excited to see this started.
You Are Worth It
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

Holy fucking crap that was a lot of reading.

@Mod: Is it possible to get a banking statement (or something of the sort) of specific people, and if so how would be the way we would get one?

I have a feeling this isn't supposed to be co-op so i choose to leave out the name of who i am thinking for the bank statement.
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:40 pm

Post by diginova »

If you happen to know what bank they are at, you could go there and ask. There are a couple banks listed in the Directory.

Also, you're all trying to solve the mystery... if you hide too much, you won't be able to get the clues you need. For the first case, you're all deciding to end the investigation as one, so it's more coop than not, but from Case 2 on you'll all take the Quiz individually.

Also, if you don't want to read as much, the Lecture is just background. All the locations given are listed at the top of the Directory. Plus, unless you're looking for a specific clue, most of the Newspaper is fluff.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

Ok so this one is co-op.

My first thought is it's possibly the brother of the deceased, he's a stock broker, so if he needed cash quickly, he would simply short sell the stock knowing his brother would die and drop the price of the stocks.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 am

Post by JasonWazza »

Ok so i have been thinking on this for a while.

Suspects:
Deceased Brother (Suspect #1)
Deceased Wife (Suspect #2)
Guy who is now the boss of the Munitons Plant (Suspect #3)

Reasoning behind Suspect #1: Simple, he's a stock broker, assuming he short sold his brother's company's stock, he would have debt's cleared/extra cash

Things that would prove suspect #1 is the criminal: Any random changes in cash in his bank account, Debts that are yet to be cleared.

Reasoning behind Suspect #2: Simple, she inherits a lot of money, could be a gold digger yo, but seriously, it's possible that she found someone else.

Reasoning behind suspect #3: He's now the boss of the most major Munitions company out there.

Things that would prove suspect #3: Him knowing of him being next in line to be boss, Stock being sold just before/bought just after the killing

The main thing that can prove a killer's identity is a sudden change in their bank account in a positive manner, anyone but a random mugger would know the implications of killing the Deceased.

Also there's one thing troubling me.
One folder is empty. It is marked SP#10-A.
Why would this folder be empty?

Simple thought is it implicates the killer, as i doubt it would be empty on purpose, finding these files with someone would link them to the crime as well.

Things we need to focus on:
Finding the contents of the folder.
Heading to the crime lab to determine anything
Specific
about the killer, height is the major one i can think of, this can be determined by the wound and probably clarified by the reports the crime lab should have.
Finding the watch, could be a key way to finding the killer.
Banking statements of any suspects we have, once we know what bank they are using.

@Mod
Few things, due to it being 1886, what sort of things are we likely to find in a crime report/autopsy report?
Is it possible (and where from) to get a stock holder report for times around the death (probably a week before to the current date, any changes being kept in mind)
Can i please get the address of the following people added to the directory: Deceased's Wife, Deceased Brother, The New Munitions Boss
Is it likely that the company has details of what was in the folder?

That's about all i can think of for now, yeah i'm probably thinking into this too much but meh i'm into this sort of thing.
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:53 am

Post by diginova »

In an autopsy or at the scene, you can find what killed the body, and any additional evidence that may have been dropped.
In terms of stock, you'd need to find the actual stock certificates.
Your last question is not a question for me, but for the players.

Requested Addresses:

Allen, Courtney—14 NW
Allen, Richard—1 WC
Marlowe, Phillip—32 NW
Ragland, Lord Henry—56 SW

Keen's Chop House—37 WC
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:58 am

Post by JasonWazza »

In post 15, diginova wrote:In an autopsy or at the scene, you can find what killed the body, and any additional evidence that may have been dropped.
Ergh the past sucks.
In terms of stock, you'd need to find the actual stock certificates.
...... The past....
Your last question is not a question for me, but for the players.
I figured that may have been the case.
Requested Addresses:

Allen, Courtney—14 NW -
Deceased brother

Allen, Richard—1 WC -
Deceased, assumedly the wife will be there.

Marlowe, Phillip—32 NW -
Current boss, previous number 2

Ragland, Lord Henry—56 SW -
Previous number 1

Keen's Chop House—37 WC
@Mod
: what relation does Keen's Chop house have to the case?

That just seems to be a somewhat random directory :shifty:
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:18 am

Post by diginova »

It was mentioned in the briefing for the case and wasn't otherwise listed in the directory.

They also have rudimentary ballistics... they know about powder and such, and the caliber of the bullet.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:35 am

Post by JasonWazza »

Erm i can't seem to find it in the briefing?

Is it not named in full and just
Slightly
referenced?

Would they be able to calculate shooting angle and such or is that too much?

Did i mention that the past sucks?
diginova
diginova
Goon
diginova
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:29 am

Post by diginova »

I see the issue. For some reason smart quotes didn't work, so searching for Keen's gives nothing. Here is the quote.
“Was he involved in an, ah, in an affair at the time of his death?” asks Wiggins.

“Yes, I believe he was, but I have no clue as to who the lady might have been. You see, the night before he was killed, I popped ’round to his office at about half-past five and managed to coax him to supper at Keen’s. We were there but a short while when Courtney begged leave. He indicated that he had an important meeting, said ‘Auf Wiedersehen,’ and winked. That wink meant a woman.”
They can calculate distance and possibly general angle, but comparing guns? They could probably get down the caliber.
猫の手も借りたい

Robo Rally
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 am

Post by JasonWazza »

So i'd assume it's a restaurant of some sort.

The fact that it was the night before he was killed, it means the woman was an affair.

New possibility:
The wife killed him out of revenge, asking her things and trying to see if she shows remorse may be worth it?
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:28 am

Post by Mist7676 »

I think that the fact a folder was missing, could mean:

1) The killer stole it.
2) Given at one of the meetings listed.

The gash on the leather suitcase could possibly be someone trying to break into it? If it was the wife, she would most likely know the key was on the watch.
You Are Worth It
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

/ego

Gonna keep an eye on this.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Post by Kcdaspot »

Im honestly interested in the affiar more myself...

I'd like to know about the girl and what she knew.

The deceased may have confided in her.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
nickthename
nickthename
Goon
nickthename
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Post by nickthename »

Is this full? If not, /in
Well, if you wanted to look into the asshole of a bull, you wouldn't find any shit there, cause all the bullshit is right here.
--Cr1TiKaL

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”