Newbie 656 Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #529 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:56 pm

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Final Day 3 Vote Count

thegeckoj - 3 (Petunho, Kairyuu, Artem)

Not Voting - 2 (RandomGem, thegeckoj)

3 to Lynch.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #530 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Sorry folks, looks like you have one more day ahead of you.

thegeckoj,
Townie
, Lynched Day 3

Night has begun. Those of you with night actions must submit your choices before Saturday, December 13th.

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #531 (isolation #2) » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Kairyuu is the latest victim to fall to the Mafia. Will he be the last?

Kairyuu,
Townie
, Killed Night 3

Day 4 has begun. With 3 alive, it takes 2 to lynch.

Sorry I didn't get the thread opened sooner, I forgot to add it to my watched topics list.

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #537 (isolation #3) » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:32 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Prodding RandomGem.

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #539 (isolation #4) » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:01 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Petunho wrote:Also last time RandomGem posted was 1 December, more than two weeks ago and still we had a nightkill. I really have to look to Artem more closely. You have been played amazingly townie looking, but I got the same vibe from my first newbie game's scum.

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

Just so we're clear, I PM'd everyone during the Night phase and I got a response from everyone. Otherwise I would have replaced a missing person before opening the thread. - Vel

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #541 (isolation #5) » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Looking for a replacement for RG.

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #544 (isolation #6) » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:12 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Sorry guys, but the holidays are making finding a difficult replacement almost impossible.

I'm going to wait another 2-3 weeks, and then if I still haven't found anyone I'm going to call the game a tie.

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #546 (isolation #7) » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:52 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Bah forgot about that. Well if we get to that point I'll call it. The Newbie Queue is bursting with replacement requests due to the holidays. Sorry guys. Keep playing and I'll keep looking.

Petunho, I suggest you get as many thoughts out as possible. That way, if I do find a replacement, Artem and the replacement can work off of your thoughts. Not ideal, but better than just tossing in the towel.

If you think this is too much work and you guys want to call it now, just send me a PM. I won't end it unless both of you say yes to ending it.

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #549 (isolation #8) » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:47 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Casey replaces RandomGem.

Due to Pentunho leaving on the 4th, the game will end, win/lose/draw on that day. That gives you a little over 1 week to come to a decision.

Good luck!

Vel

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #559 (isolation #9) » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:34 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Ouch. Another town falls to the insidious ploys of the Mafia. Maybe the town will fare ok, but I'm kinda doubting it.

Petunho,
Townie
, Lynched Day 4

Artem
wins the game for the
Mafia
team!!

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #560 (isolation #10) » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:59 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Casey, if you ever find yourself in LyLo again don't ever vote straight off the bat. Especially when you've just replaced in. One of the other players may convince you that you might be wrong :)

Kairyuu, I know that you offered to replace back in, but in a 3 person LyLo I couldn't let you back in because:

1) the scum probably had good reason for taking you out Night 3

2) too easy to metagame who had to be the remaining scum, even if 1 didn't apply.
Kairyuu wrote:This one really clued me in. Both Petunho and RandomGem were completely inactive on site starting more then 4 days before Night started, and ending (or not, in RG's case) almost a week after Night ended. Who was the only person posting on site who could have possibly killed me? Artem, that's who.
This is just flat-out dumb luck. I would not have opened the thread up when I did if I had not heard from all the players, considering the circumstances under which I inherited the game. Petunho and Artem responded within 24 hours of me sending out the mass prods.

RG picked the PM up but never responded. I went ahead with it anyway, because at least then I could say that he had picked up the prod. When he picked it up but never responded I knew that he'd need to be replaced, but I couldn't start looking for that replacement until I would normally have done so, because that would give things away :)

Good game guys. Sorry it got dicey there at the end, but I'm glad you were able to finish it out.

Vel

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #562 (isolation #11) » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Kairyuu wrote:Don't worry about it Casey. You replaced into a bad spot and followed your instincts. I would have done the same thing, only my vote woulda landed on Artem for reasons stated above (I'm the only player I know that votes immediately in lylo).
Kairyuu: I still don't get how to understand vote patterns.
Alright then. Each player will vote, probably for several people, over the course of the game. Those votes can be compared to the votes of other players to gain information. Voting patterns are nice ways to catch scum either following their buddies patterns (useful when someone votes similarly to a proven scum) or following a high profile townie (useful in endgame situations when someone looks quite pro-town and a less highly viewed player has almost the same patterns). The scum will generally either band together as subtly as possible, or follow strong townies in a similar fashion.

What Artem did was brilliant play though. He decided to follow a townie, which isn't uncommon. However, the townie that Artem chose to follow was not high profile, but rather one who was helpful in small ways so that no one actually suspected scum out of him, but no one put him high on town lists either. A player like that generally coasts to endgame without getting lynched or NKed, and Artem, who followed the same voting patterns, was able to do the exact same thing.
Nice explanation!
Also, is checking when people visit the board a valid strategy? That seems a little like cheating.
It isn't my favorite activity, but if it works, why not?
If you're smart, you'll go to your profile and change "Hide my Online Status" to YES and get rid of the ability for people to try to game that little meta. I agree it's cheating to a degree.

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #571 (isolation #12) » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:26 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last Post.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”