Newbie 1484 (Day Two)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:33 am

Post by LessThanOriginal »

In post 7, Bulbazak wrote: I'd also like to know how much experience each of you has with Mafia, that way I know how much I should expect to guide you through this game. I, for example, have over a year's worth of experience with the game and have been in over 30 games on and off site. I'm also playing in 11 other games atm, so if I don't get back to you right away, I might just be busy elsewhere. I'm not ignoring you.

Lastly, I'd like all those that don't have an avatar to get one. They help us tell each player apart, and it makes it easier to associate each player with their actions.
In terms of experience, I've played on two other sites and started playing in 2011.

@Bulbazak: Any numbers for how often this is right? I mean, I can sort of see why (so newbie Mafia members have someone teaching them how to play as Mafia at the same time as the newbie Townies have someone trying to help them play well as Townies so the balance isn't tipped too heavily in Town's favour), but to have that always be the case when there are only three people in each game classed as non-newbies? That's just encouraging people to kill them off because there's ~1/3 chance of them being Mafia and it's not like you would always have to flip all of them in order to get to the Mafia member. So yeah, numbers would be useful, even a rough estimate.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:46 am

In post 17, Hopkirk wrote:"Because one of my helper monkeys is bound to be scum."
If there is someone who doesn't know how game works and you say this when explaining how to play there's only one possible way they'll interpret it.

That is NOT equal to saying it's an "equal chance", see lessthanoriginal seems to have believed it. That is the misinformation.

For the third time- why are you saying that?

Pedit- It's purely random. You can pick any 3 random people and it'll be the same chance as for se/se/ic. You're using false statistics now to try and distort things and I'd like you to tell us why.
Believed what? They're independent variables, but I'm interested as to where he's going with this.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (isolation #2) » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 am

In post 21, Hopkirk wrote:"it's not like you would always have to flip all of them in order to get to the Mafia member."

There does not have to be any mafia within the ses/ic. this is why i'm saying he's giving false information as you've just said you believe there's always at least one scum there.

pedit- yes he said it was random then said BOUND which means always for something that isn't true.

The two newbies seem to believe you saying one of the se/se/ic must be scum which is where this is coming from. You said this directly in your first post which is why i'm obviously correcting you and ASKING WHY YOU SAID IT.
I was following his logic. That doesn't have to mean I believe it. In a truly random setup the roles will always be picked randomly. Given I don't know much about the mod, I have to presume that that will be the case here.

However, I was wondering whether Bulbazak was pushing for a lynch against one of the SEs and wanted to see if that was indeed his aim. If Mafia, eliminating the more experienced players more likely to read him correctly would be a good move, but given that he is also experienced it could easily backfire if his own argument is used against him (though with the length of the phase changes, perhaps not?).
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (isolation #3) » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:35 am

In post 51, Hopkirk wrote: 5.) The first newbie to post believed you. Another one later did too. Yet you feel justified in saying “nobody would believe me” how?
What part of "I didn't believe him, but was trying to follow through on what he was trying to do" don't you get? Don't twist events to fix your view; it really won't help you in the long run.

(That said, it appears that at least one person did take take what he said seriously so your point isn't entirely undermined.)
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (isolation #4) » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:52 am

In post 53, I Love Fairies wrote:If I truly wanted to disallow people from getting a read on me, I wouldn't post at all, or at very least, I would post sparingly.
Interesting that you would think this way. How would you say the Mafia would act then?
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (isolation #5) » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:17 am

In post 63, I Love Fairies wrote:Actually, I'm quite okay with this lynch. Those who would be willing to go through with this lynch are very likely to be scum. The reasons for voting me are highly illegitimate and already contradictions and inconsistencies have shown themselves with your pressure on me. I'm willing to trade my life for a much clearer picture of who is scum. It's a good trade off.

I'd be willing to bet that either Hopkirk or One (perhaps both) are scum based on their reasons given for wanting to lynch me.

If this lynch does manage to go through, I'd like this post to be referenced.
It takes a majority for a lynch to go through so that would require 5(?) players to be scum by your line of thought.

Of course, it's ages away from the deadline so you're being a bit pre-emptive anyway. I mean, I think we may be out of RVS now, but still, the chances of a lynch sticking at this point are minimal unless you just dig yourself deeper. Which could happen, I suppose.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (isolation #6) » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:04 am

Btw, this may seem sort of random, but if there's anyone not yet with an avatar (or planning to change theirs soon) can you avoid "smug" ones? Just, I've realised recently that despite my best attempts it (a "smug" avatar) may sort of influence my reads ^^;. As in, I end up associating the avatar with the player and then I end up reading everything they say as though it's said in an arrogant tone and yeah :/.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (isolation #7) » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:31 pm

I don't really want an avatar; it's just that other people's can mess me up :x. I'll just end up with the Windows Koala if I get one though.

As for my playstyle, I'm trying something sort of different from normal with leading questions, but apparently it's not really working. However, my normal meta is basically lurking and chipping in with some mechanics-based stuff and that's not really the best for a newbie game (or indeed, most setups this simple) IMO. I can try the accusation style perhaps, but half of the time I'll feel like I'm just reading into stuff that I can interpret either way. Eh, I'll decide in the morning.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (isolation #8) » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:25 am

In post 94, Hopkirk wrote: @Lessthanoriginal: You hve a scummy playstyle.
I prefer to call it "null". But are you talking about my normal playstyle from how I described it, or how I've been playing in this game? (Or both?)
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (isolation #9) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:39 am

I can't remember; was there a lynch everyone was going for? Just, if there isn't then we can try and put some pressure on the lurkers to speak up a bit?
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (isolation #10) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:25 am

In post 118, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 117, LessThanOriginal wrote:I can't remember; was there a lynch everyone was going for?
Any reason you can't read the thread?

And if you want to advocate a lurker lynch then push for it. You shouldn't worry about what everyone else wants to do.
I was in a rush at the time. My point was that if you're currently all pressuring someone else then splitting the votes stops either of the bandwagons from having as much effect in terms of reactions or an eventual lynch.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (isolation #11) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:00 am

Just saying, I'm not going to give a read on anyone this early in the game. If I ever do so it will likely be in defence of someone or as a reads list at the start of the next day phase. Though, honestly, I wouldn't say your best Town reads right now because that's just asking for them to be at risk of a NK.

When there's enough information for a scum lynch to come out of it from it, that's when the reads are given IMO.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (isolation #12) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 pm

In post 131, catboi wrote:
In post 124, LessThanOriginal wrote:Just saying, I'm not going to give a read on anyone this early in the game. If I ever do so it will likely be in defence of someone or as a reads list at the start of the next day phase. Though, honestly, I wouldn't say your best Town reads right now because that's just asking for them to be at risk of a NK.

When there's enough information for a scum lynch to come out of it from it, that's when the reads are given IMO.
Are you going to do anything this early in the game? What's your plan for finding mafia?
I have no specific plan as such. I prefer to observe and step in when I see something relevant. It gains me a null read most of the time, yes, but that just means I'm unlikely to be NKed or lynched, which suits me fine and allows me to hopefully get to end game when my reads get more accurate.

@Fairies: I would say that the start of D2 would be a good time to share read lists. We would have information from D1, the flip and the NK, but because reads are likely to change over the course of a Day, it's not going to be as useful in terms of the Mafia finding NKs. Also, with read lists I tend to look more at the reasoning behind the reads, rather than the reads by themselves so it will be useful to look back on after the D2 flip.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (isolation #13) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 am

@JarJarDrinks: I said I aim for "null", not "scum" so no, at this stage in the game a lynch on me should be relatively low priority. And I've explained why I don't want to give my reads yet, and I stand by that.

I'm not null on everyone, but given that this is a newbie game I'm focusing on looking more for newbie Town slips ("scum slips" by newbies are often actually just them being newbies, whereas Town slips are pretty hard for them to fake) and so can't offer much in the way of scum reads. Well, I have speculation, but I need a lot more evidence before I can be sure on anything.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (isolation #14) » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 am

^sorry. Just to be clear about the above, I was talking mainly about my Town reads when I said I don't want to give them yet.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #152 (isolation #15) » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:47 am

@soctor: Given it's now pretty likely that you'll flip I think a read list from you (and *just* you) would be useful.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #164 (isolation #16) » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:11 am

@Bulbazak: I think that the claims of cheating were unsubstantiated because that clearly wasn't your intention, but I do think he had a point with it potentially being misleading to people who are unsure what's going on. I don't think your original post was indicative of alignment, but neither do I think that his *original* response was. What happened after that when it escalated may possibly be useful, but I think the initial posts give nothing useful as to your alignments. Keep in mind I've believed him about claiming the vote had nothing to do with it when trying to reason this through, but I find it hard to believe that scum would be so blatant in responding to a vote like that so.

Ninja'd.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #165 (isolation #17) » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:13 am

In post 164, LessThanOriginal wrote:@Bulbazak: I think that the claims of cheating were unsubstantiated because that clearly wasn't your intention, but I do think he had a point with it potentially being misleading to people who are unsure what's going on. I don't think your original post was indicative of alignment, but neither do I think that his *original* response was. What happened after that when it escalated may possibly be useful, but I think the initial posts give nothing useful as to your alignments. Keep in mind I've believed him about claiming the vote had nothing to do with it when trying to reason this through, but I find it hard to believe that scum would be so blatant in responding to a vote like that so.

Ninja'd.
Basically, after thinking this through it gives me slight Town vibes on Hopkirk and nothing on Bulbazak.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #208 (isolation #18) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:12 am

I was going to come in and attempt to get people to bounce off soctor for useful reactions when he flips. Apparently that's getting sorted already though.

Still, I think we need to get more people talking than just the main five or so. And yes, I'm including myself in the "people who should probably be talking more" category. What do you guys say to a questionnaire for everyone to respond to? If yes, I'll take question suggestions, though no fishing for PT roles is allowed, for obvious reasons :V.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #210 (isolation #19) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:20 am

Vibes are such a wonderful reason to lynch people, aren't they? :P

Nah, it annoys me when people don't give real reasons. It makes it harder to figure out when they're being genuine and means there's a lot less evidence to prove them either way later on.

Carry on.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (isolation #20) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:57 am

In post 212, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 210, LessThanOriginal wrote:Vibes are such a wonderful reason to lynch people, aren't they? :P

Nah, it annoys me when people don't give real reasons. It makes it harder to figure out when they're being genuine and means there's a lot less evidence to prove them either way later on.

Carry on.
And i try and lynch you where?
Just putting it out there in case i forget later (i should really do spreadsheets again).
It was a general comment on the culture of people lynching on vibes. Your post may have triggered it, but being pre-emptively defensive really isn't my style. Nice job trying to pin something on me though, I guess. Slightly more solid than just "vibes".
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #223 (isolation #21) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 am

[quote="In post 217
In post 208, LessThanOriginal wrote:What do you guys say to a questionnaire for everyone to respond to? If yes, I'll take question suggestions, though no fishing for PT roles is allowed, for obvious reasons :V.
Why do you need our permission to ask questions?[/quote]
Quite a lot of things are different here so I was unsure how a questionnaire would be taken. Also, if there's no interest then there's no real point in putting out the questions if they'll just be ignored. The questions people suggest themselves may be useful though. There's the obvious stuff: your opinion on the current lynch; who do you want to flip next; potential distancing/buddying, and so on. But the questions that others suggest may give stuff away as well.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (isolation #22) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 am

Messed that quote up. Will fix later.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #226 (isolation #23) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 am

Post fixed.
In post 217, Bulbazak wrote:
In post 208, LessThanOriginal wrote:What do you guys say to a questionnaire for everyone to respond to? If yes, I'll take question suggestions, though no fishing for PT roles is allowed, for obvious reasons :V.
Why do you need our permission to ask questions?
Quite a lot of things are different here so I was unsure how a questionnaire would be taken. Also, if there's no interest then there's no real point in putting out the questions if they'll just be ignored. The questions people suggest themselves may be useful though. There's the obvious stuff: your opinion on the current lynch; who do you want to flip next; potential distancing/buddying, and so on. But the questions that others suggest may give stuff away as well.

@Hopkirk: People's suggestions as to questions to include in the questionnaire can be enlightening in of themselves. However, if I get no replies on that by this time tomorrow then I'll post up a questionnaire with just my questions anyway, I guess. Speaking of, do you have any potential questions to add?
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #236 (isolation #24) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 am

So, questions. Ideally, I would like everyone to answer them (yes, that includes myself :V), but I have my doubts about that working tbh.

1) What do you think of the current lynch?

2) Depending on how doctor flips, who do you think would be a good suspect next phase?

3) Is there anyone you suspect of distancing? Explain.

4) Ditto above, but with buddying?

5) When do you think the best time for a full reads list would be?

6) Give your two scummiest reads right now, and say why.

7) If there is a cop, who do you think would be best to be investigated tonight?

8) Also, do you think it would be a good idea to have everyone announce
one
read sans reasoning at the start of next phase? Explain your reasoning.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #237 (isolation #25) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:53 am

And JarJar just reminded me of another.

9) What is your opinion on lynching lurkers?
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (isolation #26) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:39 pm

1) What do you think of the current lynch?

Fairly apathetic to it. Correct D1 lynches are pretty rare (at least in the places I've previously played) so it's more that I'm using soctor as a way to read other people after his flip than having much hope in him flipping Mafia. I haven't seen anything I would count as a Townie slip from him yet though, and newbies tend to be much better at making those kinds of mistakes genuinely so eh, I can hope.

2) Depending on how doctor flips, who do you think would be a good suspect next phase?

If Mafia, I'd have to check his interactions with everyone again, but hopefully he'd have slipped somewhere in his read list. I'd also look at those last on the bandwagon (in case of bussing).

If Town, I'd probably also look at those who found him scummy. Probably in the middle of the bandwagon, or people who said he was susp, but refused to vote (what reasons did they give? If "better suspect" leaning towards Town perhaps?). There are so many factors to take into account though and they all depend on each other so I'm not that good at explaining, sorry.

I put this down expecting actual names, and yet I can't provide them myself >_<.

3) Is there anyone you suspect of distancing? Explain.

I think most things so far have seemed to genuine to be put on. But I'm presuming the Mafia don't get the chance to communicate before the game starts so.
@Robocopter87
, can the Mafia talk in their QT before the game starts? I couldn't find it in the rules, sorry.

4) Ditto above, but with buddying?

Possibly? I'll have to look back through later if I have the patience.

5) When do you think the best time for a full reads list would be?

About a (rl) day into D2, for reasons previously explained.

6) Give your two scummiest reads right now, and say why.

Hopkirk. He seems to eager to sling guilt onto people. If scum, it would be a good idea to look at who he's not yet attacked.

Docthorr. Fewest number of posts and at least one of those was excusing his behaviour and putting it down to timezones. Given the length of phases and the fact that I'm only an hour behind him, I think, I can say that his timezone in no way justifies how quiet he's been, and that he needs to contribute more at the very least. He goes vote, unvote, weird comment about my lack of avi, more excuses for not posting, etc. http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... ct[]=23316

7) If there is a cop, who do you think would be best to be investigated tonight?

People in the grey areas in terms of alignment. They'll be less likely to be killed at night because the Mafia often like to keep around people likely to draw more suspicion than them, and the read can help clear up a lot of things if they can get it out somehow. I'm thinking Bulbazak, or maybe me?

8) Also, do you think it would be a good idea to have everyone announce
one
read sans reasoning at the start of next phase? Explain your reasoning.

This was originally an idea on how to help the cop before I realised a potential flaw in it. And then I thought I'd keep it in to see who else noticed it. Ask me about it once more people have answered 'cause I don't want to influence the answers too much.

9) What is your opinion on lynching lurkers?

Depends on what classes as a lurker, I suppose. If someone is posting quality content, but few posts then I probably wouldn't class them as a lurker. I'd probably say that a lurker is someone who doesn't contribute enough useful information to the thread. Anyway, I don't think that's really needed at this stage in the game, but if anyone becomes at risk of a modkill due to inactivity I would rather lynch them than get a modkill *and* a lynch and possibly be down by two Townies at the end of a phase.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #255 (isolation #27) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 am

I asked you guys to offer up suggestions for questions. It's hardly my fault everyone refused to and so ended up being solely mine. Though, I disagree that the questions are scummy because they're asking about exactly the sorts of things we need to be thinking about right now. I'll try to respond to all relevant questions aimed at me in a bigger post, but sorting out all the quotes might take a bit of time >_<.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #256 (isolation #28) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:33 am

In post 249, Hopkirk wrote:@Lessthan: Why would it be advantageous for scum to be throwing reads everywhere (thus making enemies) rather than focusing on 1-2 people and making friends who won’t lynch him?
I'm sorry. I really don't get what you're asking here? At first I thought the question was based on my answers to the questionnaire, but I just checked and I'm still as confused.
In post 250, Docthorr wrote:I really don't like LTO. Haven't liked her for a while. (Still have my vote on her)
She is correct in the lack of my posts and content, but I do believe the ones with actual content have more info than any of her posts. Outside of her last post where she finally gave some actual content by answering her own list. The other posts she made were some general questions.
I don't like the list at all. It gives the mafia a view in the towns mind and I will not give my answers on them.
OMGUS but without the vote because you've already used it on me. I have previously given what I consider content and you saying otherwise won't change that in my mind. Explain what information the Mafia would glean from this that Town wouldn't, and how it would be used? Genuine question. I would ask how the information Town gains weighs up vs the information Mafia gains, but I doubt you could be so unbiased, sorry.
In post 251, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 247, LessThanOriginal wrote:

People in the grey areas in terms of alignment. They'll be less likely to be killed at night because the Mafia often like to keep around people likely to draw more suspicion than them, and the read can help clear up a lot of things if they can get it out somehow. I'm thinking Bulbazak,
or maybe me
?
OK. I don't understand how a townie could possibly suggest himself for a cop check.

This just reeks of scum trying to imply that he has nothing to hide. I'd love to hear <original explain how copchecking him could possibly be a benefit to the town.
Right now with the suspicion on me that I have I'm distracting Town from locating actual Mafia members. I said to go for people in the grey areas for a reason.

To post #252: Who I mention previously has no bearing on what my reads are. I don't see what your point is here?

Also, to post #252: Hopkirk's particular attack on Bulbazak at the start was for potential misleading information and so could theoretically be done by either side, but I found Town more likely at the time. However, since then Hopkirk has repeatedly gone after people on (IMO) pretty flimsy pretences, and so his read has slipped down to slight scum.

If I've missed out any questions that desperately need answering :V, please say and quote their post number too if need be ^^.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #262 (isolation #29) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:47 am

It was more lurkers in general who I hadn't paid too much attention to previously @above. And the best NK would be the Towniest read or a PT, right? I made sure not to ask about that so how they would get that info from the answers, I honestly don't know.

The distancing and buddying questions were aimed partly to see how people would handle it than who they were saying about. The way players throw dirt tends to seem slightly different if I can just get down how to read it. Would say more, but g2g. Will check in on my phone in a bit though.

And also, pronouns are there in the profile for a reason :V.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #269 (isolation #30) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 am

In post 265, Hopkirk wrote:Considering he's only 4th on my list- thus i wouldn't be voting him today- that's pretty irrelevant.
What i've said before and lurker lynch stuff.
Not a lynch I'm going for, today i'll lynch less than or soctor. Preferably soctor.

Less than
1.) Respond to my q
2.) Conclusions from your list stuff
Question?

I'll say what my thought process behind 8 was before I flip, but honestly, not enough people replied for me to try and pick out groupthink vs guiltflinging vs any other number of things. I wasn't planning on writing up conclusions when I wrote them though, just what I could potentially speculate and connections ("unlikely to both be scum" for example) between people. And even that was just going to be in my head for the most part. People are supposed to be able to interpret this stuff for themselves; I just try to produce info to work off. I'll write something up before I go down though, I guess. Night.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #281 (isolation #31) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:09 pm

@Hopkirk: By "question" you meant the one that I didn't understand and so couldn't answer? Can you please reword it with some context or I can't do a thing about it. You knew that when you told me again to answer it :/.

Conclusions with come in the evening (GMT). If anyone else wants to answer the questionnaire before then please do so.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #282 (isolation #32) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 pm

In post 281, LessThanOriginal wrote:@Hopkirk: By "question" you meant the one that I didn't understand and so couldn't answer? Can you please reword it with some context or I can't do a thing about it. You knew that when you told me again to answer it :/.

Conclusions will come in the evening (GMT). If anyone else wants to answer the questionnaire before then please do so.
Fixed >_<.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #284 (isolation #33) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:53 pm

In post 283, Hopkirk wrote:@ Faries: Wouldn’t you say that’s better than lynching a pr by accident? They would have had to claim anyway around then (this guy already had).

@Lessthan: How is that even misinterpretable?

I said “Why would it be advantageous for scum to be throwing reads everywhere (thus making enemies) rather than focusing on 1-2 people and making friends who won’t lynch him?”

Would scum
A.) Vote+pressure lots of people thus making enemies out of most of the playerlist who would be more inclined to vote them later.
B.) Focus on voting/pressuring 2ish people and making friends with the others- going for a lynch without creating any enemies or drama.

Then consider what I’m doing (A).
Scum would not find it advantageous to do A.
So you can explain why me doing A makes me a scumread of yours.
If you really agreed with that idea then you would currently be reading me as Town :P. I've said I'm only giving scum reads atm because the strongest Town reads could assist the Mafia NK, remember? So, no, I'm not going with this argument, especially when I've seen Mafia play like (A) in the past in order to gain Townie points.

Though, I disagreed you using the word "pressuring" to describe your play earlier so ^^;.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #288 (isolation #34) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:12 am

In post 286, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 284, LessThanOriginal wrote:If you really agreed with that idea then you would currently be reading me as Town :P
Um what? Are you you implying that you are playing in a similiar fashion to hopkirk? Voting and pressuring lots of people? Like you are the one person in the town who is the furthest from that description as possible. You STILL haven't even cast a single vote yet.
I was implying I was playing sort of like (A) actually in that I don't care about making enemies with my scum reads and questioning of people. Later in the game I would consider voting because I know I'm 100% Town and can't say the same about anyone else, but this is D1 and so I see it that suspicion on me is unlikely to fade and so the best I can do is try to create reactions and interactions for Town to work off when I'm gone. Staying around longer will just have me distracting Town from the actual threats.

Though fyi, for future game's reference for anyone in here, you will rarely find me voting outside of endgame. I'm too indecisive for it to be successful anyway when I think I don't yet have all the information. And I don't like to be responsible for lynching Town which is pretty stupid of me because that's always going to happen, but eh.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (isolation #35) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:39 am

In post 295, Thesoctorisin wrote:Why isn't <original claiming?
It's called rl >_<.

Will reply to all the rest of the stuff in one.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (isolation #36) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:14 am

In post 291, JarJarDrinks wrote:Well I don't know why you'd think this since like I said, no one else has been less confrontational than you. You seem completely afraid to give your reads of people all throughout the game.
Really. Claiming Hopkirk as one of my scummiest reads is utterly unconfrontational given how he seems to attack all who question him :V. I really should stop with the self-meta'ing though ^^;.
In post 293, Hopkirk wrote:Since last day...
Intent to hammer
lessthan. Lessthan please claim.
VT. Actually though, it's probably better to hit Town anyway than Mafia D1 now I think about it. As in, Mafia are often (and even more so in newbie games) given away by their interactions with other members, right? As in, they'll try to subtly defend them, often be the last to hammer if they bus, and stuff like that. Remove half the Mafia and suddenly it's a lot harder to find them. That's just from a D1 perspective though, and as the game goes on you tend to get enough info that that doesn't matter so much (and it's not like it's a good idea either to leave scum in the game for long if you can help it). So yeah, sorry if you were expecting something else, but if you really think I'd be this calm about a lynch if I was a PT...?

8 was thus: if everyone announces one read and then doesn't give their reasoning for it at the start of D2 then it allows a potential cop to get out their investigation results without it immediately leading to their NK or Town lynching them (because that's exactly the sort of thing Town does sometimes). The flaw I thought I found (but am now not so sure of) is that if as the Days pass a certain person gets all their reads correct then it heavily ups the chances of the Mafia locating them. However, now I'm not so sure that it *is* a flaw because if the Mafia aim for that person and they flip cop then Town basically has a load of confirmed leads and the Mafia are likely restricted to killing off any confirmed Town reads (or being lynched in the case of scum investigations) and so can't focus in on other PT or people who are threats to them. And of course, if there is no cop then it basically just gets the Mafia extra paranoid and looking at the wrong people while all the pretend cops smile at them like so: :cop:. So yeah, I was wondering if anyone was wondering about that themselves and if their logic would follow the same route as mine, but apparently not. I think it's a valid tactic personally, but people don't tend to listen to me so I doubt anyone will actually go for it.

Apologies for the wall of text. It's very relevant though so please read it and keep it in mind for future phases.

Anything I missed?
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #300 (isolation #37) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:16 am

In post 298, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 297, LessThanOriginal wrote:
It's called rl >_<.

In one what? We're 9 hrs till deadline. Ur roll claim would have taken less words then this post did.
I was on my phone and wanted to get some other stuff out before I was hammered unrelated to a claim. See above.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #301 (isolation #38) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 am

In post 300, LessThanOriginal wrote:
In post 298, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 297, LessThanOriginal wrote:
It's called rl >_<.

In one what? We're 9 hrs till deadline. Ur roll claim would have taken less words then this post did.
I was on my phone and wanted to get some other stuff out before I was hammered unrelated to a claim. See above.
See last page ;_;.

Have you stopped messing up my gender now at least?
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #304 (isolation #39) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:47 am

I don't entirely agree with your assessment of my play (it was bad, but not for the reasons you guys are saying imo), but eh. Good luck, all. Doc, if you're in, you know who to protect ^^.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #307 (isolation #40) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 am

In post 305, Thesoctorisin wrote:Are you supposed to discuss when you want to hammer? because I am ready now but I'm not sure if I should ask first since this affects us all.
Read the thread, will you?
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #308 (isolation #41) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 am

Though just fyi, this is my Town meta. Night.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #421 (isolation #42) » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 am

@Bulbazak: The Doc thing was simply me trying to make it seem as though the PRs and Mafia roles were slightly different than they actually were. There wasn't any point in attempting secret messages when I had no way of knowing if they would get through and to make them obvious enough to be caught (given that I hadn't exactly provided a key for reference) would be to make them obvious enough to be intercepted by Town imo.

And seriously, you're basing my play off a Marathon game where I was playing at nearly 2am and as an Innocent Child? I can't see how people react to me in the same way if I'm confirmed by a mechanic and I really ought to have pulled out of that game once there were enough players like I said I would, but I'm stupid so I didn't :V.

Though yes, I *was* serious when I said I was playing to my Town meta, even if you probably think it's a terrible one. Whatever, list what you think my errors are then?

Sorry, this is all just complaining. Thanks for the game, Robocopter87. Sorry for getting caught so quickly.

soctor, I'm thinking you may need to improve distancing (you appearing to change your mind near the end of the phase where I was lynched but refusing to hammer, for example) and saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff. You need to get into the Town mindset and think about what they would be asking; not just coming in with stuff you think might fit when you think you've not posted for a while or are under pressure. At least that was my interpretation, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #428 (isolation #43) » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 am

I wasn't rolefishing. I had little interest in outing PRs when soctor was out in the open like that. My priority was to try to get him out of that and to blend in. In the end I failed at both.

Where I have played in the past these questions have been asked repeatedly and I think that information can be gleaned off them, especially with how people will try to twist things to fling suspicion on people. Asking certain questions get people on guard about the wrong things and so there answers may reveal other things. Obviously that wasn't my intention there, but that is the "Town" mindset it came from.

And no, I'm not going to be proactive, sorry. It may take a while for people to get used to it, but I'm fairly sure that's already happening to some extent. If I get another few results where I get lynched so quickly then it would be stupid not to try to change tact a bit, but as it is I think people can adjust to my meta.

Yes, you probably hate my Town play and apparently you don't buy that that *was* my Town play, but I don't like sharing my conclusions because I'm never sure. Sorry if that offends you.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #429 (isolation #44) » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:37 am

*their

@Bulbazak for above
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #430 (isolation #45) » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 am

By the way, the thing about me and scum hunting is that half the time I think that people are swatting at shadows that aren't there. Yes, things can be read into in some ways, but sometimes I feel like I'm in an English lesson and people are equating Hamlet to Jesus somehow :V.

As a Town player that means I wait longer (too long in most cases) for more evidence and don't leap on people for as many things (or anything really), which means that my scum play has to line up with that. Of course, given that I hadn't played here previously I could have maybe gotten away with it, if I could keep it up which I probably couldn't.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”