Newbie 1726 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:06 am

Post by Caston »

In post 12, delta9 wrote:VOTE: Caston

For not posting yet.
I'm here! VOTE: Delta9 for voting me.

Excited to start my second game of mafia.
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:49 pm

Post by Caston »

In post 14, Jaack wrote:
In post 13, Caston wrote: I'm here! VOTE: Delta9 for voting me.

Excited to start my second game of mafia.
Why delta over ecane?
Because it's the RVS and I chose one by random.
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (isolation #2) » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Post by Caston »

In post 16, Jaack wrote:
In post 15, Caston wrote:Because it's the RVS and I chose one by random.
Well, how would you propose advancing out of rvs? We're probably not going to catch any scum with just random votes.

I agree. I think our best bet for determining scum is through conversation.

Delta9, what's your experience with Mafia?
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (isolation #3) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:21 am

Post by Caston »

In post 18, Foxbird wrote:Any reason you only asked Delta, instead of engaging a player who was already talking to you?
I asked Delta because he's a new player to the website, like myself. Jaack's SE status is pretty self-evident -- he has experience on the website already. Just trying to get some discussion going among the newer players. Curious to see if they have played on other websites/in real life.

While we're on the topic, what's your experience with mafia? :P
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (isolation #4) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:47 am

Post by Caston »

In post 20, Foxbird wrote:Some offsite in various locations and one other newbie game here on MS that I replaced out of for health reasons!
Let's extend the question to alexs, ecane, and Gratuitous, too - this game is really quiet and tame so far. Get in here, guys!
I'll chime in as well. This is my second game of forum-based mafia. I have played once in real life too. Last game I was little quiet, so it's my goal to be a bit more interactive this game.
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (isolation #5) » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:47 am

Post by Caston »

FYI, I'm working this weekend so I won't have much time to contribute. I'll be more active come Monday.
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (isolation #6) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:32 am

Post by Caston »

In post 53, Jaack wrote:Got early scumbuzzes from caston and foxbird. Caston's 17 felt like he was trying to appease me more than anything.
In post 17 I was answering your question and then trying to start some conversation because the game was moving slowly.
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (isolation #7) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:44 am

Post by Caston »

In post 53, Jaack wrote:Was hoping to get an answer from caston before offering my take on things but whatever.
And I'm sorry, but what question are you referring to? Post 16?
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (isolation #8) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:29 am

Post by Caston »

In post 22, Jaack wrote:To both of you: how are you planning to catch scum based on their experience?
As I mentioned before, I asked the question to try and start some conversation. I have heard that newer players would tend to lurk if they are scum, and be more active if they are a town PR. So I was going to see where the conversation went.

I don't necessarily think activity is necessarily a town-tell/scum-tell for more experienced players, as they probably have developed more deceptive strategies.
Caston
Caston
Townie
Caston
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (isolation #9) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 am

Post by Caston »

In post 67, Nachomamma8 wrote:I'm not a huge fan of this opening. You started in the RVS because you thought that it was the way to go, correct? But then, when someone questioned you on it, you swapped approaches and instead went to questioning random people; this makes it seem more like you didn't believe in your initial approach (and was using it to coast), and then ended up taking a more questioning, active approach which almost seems like a direct response to that opening.

If you think that conversation is the best bet for finding scum, then why didn't you open with it?
In my first game, I was told most games open with a random voting stage, where you choose someone at random to vote for. Our game started pretty quickly following the RVS.

I started with a questioning approach because this game was slower to start than my last game.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”