Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie Game 1018 - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Post by CallMeLiam »

Did Someone Say Mafia? Newbie Mafia 1018

Brought to you by CallMeLiam

Taffeta? No, Mafia!
Your peaceful retirement community has been invaded by elderly organised crime, and they're stealing all the hard candies and blankets! Even worse, they seem to be killing people and shaving off the last precious months of your lives. So it's time to do what old people do best: sit around talking endlessly while judging each other. Those you suspect of being against you will soon regret crossing the grumpiest bunch of fossils the world has ever seen. Fire up your pacemakers.

Players:

Spoiler:
Timmer
Olinea, Townie
nonameformedude, Townie
DavidParker, Doctor*
Sweep*
Zorblag, Townie*
jmurph3, Townie**

Dead Players:

Ragnarokio, Mafia Goon - Lynched Day One

cnnrmagic_beard
ThAdmiral, Townie - Lynched Day Two
Dean Harper*
Wisakedjak, Townie - Lynched Day Three

2003041*NazgûlErinyes
Trylledej, Mafia Goon - Lynched Day Four

* indicates your semi-experienced players who've completed at least two games here, ** indicates your inexperience challenged player who's completed at least five. They're here to help.

The game will be run according to one of the following set-ups chosen at random:

*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Town Cop, 1 Town Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Doctor, 6 Vanilla Townies

The Role PM's for all the potential roles follow in the rules post.
Last edited by CallMeLiam on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:19 am, edited 17 times in total.
is now full, but replacements are always welcome.
CallMeLiam
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Post by CallMeLiam »

Rules

[001] Please vote in bold in the following format:
vote: CallMeLiam
. Abbreviations are fine so long as it's clear who you're voting for:
vote: CML
is great unless Crimp My Lucy is also in the game. Voting for no lynch at all is also fine.
[002] When a player has a simple majority of votes they'll be lynched.
[003] There will be strict deadlines of three weeks per game day. They may be shorter if you decide on a lynch, but never longer if you can't.
[004] Don't talk about this game outside the thread unless your role specifically allows it
[005] Once you're dead you're dead. No "Bah" posts please.
[006] Don't edit/delete previously submitted posts.
[007] Don't quote any PMs from me. Paraphrasing is fine, but direct quoting will get you modkilled.
[008] Night will never end early, but it may end late. Night PM's received late will not be counted though.
[009] If you're gonna be unable to post for any length of time a post in-thread directed
To the Mod
: or a PM is fine. Putting it in your sig is not.
[010] No invisible text, no hidden code, no colours, no weird fonts. Them's mine.
[011] I will prod when requested or when I feel it's necessary, then replace if after 48 hours the prod hasn't been picked up or acknowledged.
[012] It's a game. We're here to have fun. Play nice with each other.
[013] Breaking most of these rules will usually get you replaced out. Breaking 007 will get you modkilled and you'll automatically lose the game.
[014] The potential role PM's are:

Role PMs

Welcome to Newbie Mafia 1018 [PLAYERNAME]!
Followed by:

Townie
You're a simple townie. You can vote and get shot.
You win when all threats to the town are eliminated..
Doc
You're the town's doctor. You can vote, get shot and protect one player each night from the mafia. Each night just PM the name of another player and you'll prevent any attempts on their life.
You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
Cop
You're the town's cop. You can vote, get shot and investigate one player's alignment per day. Each night just PM me the name of a player and discover whether they're with the town or the mafia.
You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
Goon
You're a Mafia goon. You can vote, conspire at night with your partner [OTHER SCUM'S NAME AND ROLE] and kill folks. Each night you can discuss the game here: [QUICKTOPIC] and pick which player your group will kill.
You win when only your mafia is alive, or nothing can prevent this.
Roleblocker
You're a Mafia Roleblocker. You can vote, conspire at night with your partner [OTHER SCUM'S NAME AND ROLE], kill folks and block the actions of other players. Each night you can discuss the game here: [QUICKTOPIC] and pick which player your group will kill. Additionally, you can PM me the name of a player and any actions they attempt that night will fail. Should you be the last living member of your mafia, you can both kill and block on the same night.
You win when only your mafia is alive, or nothing can prevent this.
Last edited by CallMeLiam on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CallMeLiam
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Post by CallMeLiam »

Roles going out now. Please confirm in thread.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Post by jmurph3 »

/confirm. Let's get this party started!
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:30 am

Post by Ragnarokio »

Confirmado.
nonameformedude
nonameformedude
Townie
nonameformedude
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:42 am

Post by nonameformedude »

/confirm. my hip hurts, and wheres the attendant with that tapioca!
Show
Im engaged to a lovely lady, I tell you she drives me crazy!
She's always on my brain, my beautiful mary jane!

http://www.emazinglights.com/media/js/a ... ont-v2.psd
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:18 am

Post by Sweep »

/confirm
Timmer
Timmer
Goon
Timmer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 am

Post by Timmer »

/confirm, but I've just gotten home from a night shift so I'll catch up with the start of things after I get some sleep. And after I find those hard candies.... *shakes a rheumatic fist*
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:16 am

Post by DavidParker »

Hi all! I see no familiar faces, so greetings.
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
cnnr
cnnr
Townie
cnnr
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:30 am

Post by cnnr »

/confirm
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:01 am

Post by 2003041 »

/confirm
Show
New Game: Town 0W//1L Scum 0W//0L Power Roles: 0/1
Replacement: Town 1W//0L Scum 0W//0L Power Roles: 1/1
Work by day, Guitar Hero/Rock Band by twilight, Mafia at night. THAT, my friends, is a perfect day!!!

We need subscribers for our GH/RB team to be sponsored.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TEAML3G3NDOFFICIAL <----Subscribe here to help us.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:52 am

Post by Dean Harper »

/confirm
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

-- Rose Nadler, 'Through the Looking Glass' (Lost)
CallMeLiam
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 am

Post by CallMeLiam »

That's 11\11 confirmed so let's get going. Deadline is 9pm GMT on October 20th, a countdown to that is here.

With NINE alive, FIVE votes will lynch.
Last edited by CallMeLiam on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 am

Post by Sweep »

Just a few Q's so that we can know a bit about everyone.

1)What is your time zone?
2)What is your mafia experience, on this site and elsewhere?
3)How frequently do you expect to be posting?

1) GMT
2) 3/4 Games completed about 10 months ago.
3) Everyday.
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 am

Post by Sweep »

Oh and Random Vote:

VOTE: 2003041
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 am

Post by Ragnarokio »

Sweep wrote:Just a few Q's so that we can know a bit about everyone.

1)What is your time zone?
2)What is your mafia experience, on this site and elsewhere?
3)How frequently do you expect to be posting?

1) GMT
2) 3/4 Games completed about 10 months ago.
3) Everyday.
1) EST
2) Second game here. I've played mafia for a little over a year on another site, and have played a lot of games on other miscellaneous sites. (I'm still pretty bad at the game though >.>)
3) My schedule isn't too static, as long as i'm in the right time and mood i'll be posting a lot. I should be able to post at least once a day, though i'll probably be posting more.

Random Bandwagon:

VOTE: 2003041
cnnr
cnnr
Townie
cnnr
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 am

Post by cnnr »

1) GMT -8
2)I've played a handful of real-life games, but have not completed a full game here yet.
3)Everyday

Anyone want to share strats for finding mafia this first round? I happened to recently play a live game with a guy who had been playing for quite a while and he educated us on some of the strats and nuances of the game that I never even considered, including strats for playing the very first round, which is often very slow and long since there is little to no info. One of his recommendations is going around the room and asking people what their strategies are, so that we get to know their personalities and what they are thinking.

Admittedly this strategy probably works better in real life where you can watch for tells and reaction time, but still, doesn't hurt to try?

Thoughts?
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:01 am

Post by jmurph3 »

Hi everyone! I am your friendly neighborhood IC, meaning Inexperienced Challenged, meaning that in addition to playing, I'm also here to help you out with any questions that you have while playing. If this is your first game here, welcome! If you are one of the 4 SEs (semi-experienced player), I expect a good game from you guys!

The number one thing that I want to emphasize is that it's ok to ask questions, especially if this is your first game. It can be a little intimidating playing with so many more experienced players, but don't be afraid! We're pretty nice people in general.

I'd like to start off with some general do's and don't's of Mafia.

:right: Do talk. Not participating actively on purpose is just as liable to get you killed, especially on the first day. Why? Because a lot of mafia players feel that in lieu of a good scumtell, a lynch based off inactivity is just as good as killing scum because it helps town more than having dead weight hanging around. Consider yourselves warned. Please note that in addition to just not participating, called lurking, there's also what's called Active Lurking, meaning that you're posting without moving the game forward. This is just as bad to many as not posting at all, so don't do it!

:right: Do read the wiki. Seriously. Most questions that you will have can and will be answered in the wiki. From common abbreviations (like WIFOM or OMGUS) to unfamiliar terms (meta, mafia theory), you'll find it in the wiki. Also, some more experienced players will, instead of answering your questions, respond with a link to the wiki. So you might as well cut out the middleman.

:right: Do not be afraid to vote. Voting can and does create discussion. Even if you think you don't have enough evidence for a vote, feel free to lay out what you do have. More discussion helps town. Less discussion hurts town. If you still don't think you have enough for a vote, lay out your evidence and add a FoS - finger of suspicion, meaning you find the person suspicious but aren't ready to vote.

:right: Do not claim, except in the cases of L-1 or LyLo (if you don't know what these terms mean, where are you going to find them? If you answered "the wiki", you win. What you win is irrelevant). Claiming only serves two purposes: it gives scum more information than they need to have, and it distracts town. Please note: "town" is an alignment. By being town-aligned, you can have one of 3 roles: Cop, Doctor, or Civilian (also known as Vanilla Townie - VT - or townie). Saying that you are townie, VT, or civilian means that you are claiming a role, even if not a power role. You don't want to do this, as it can narrow the field on potential legitimate power roles, thus making it easier for the scum to pick them off.

:right: Do not be afraid to die. Remember, you win if your alignment wins, NOT if you survive until the end. Yes, it sucks to get killed, but the goal is to win, not to survive.

:right: Do not take things personally. It's just a game, and if someone points out a flaw in your logic, it doesn't mean that they think you're stupid. On the flip side of that coin, don't make personal attacks on people. It's liable to get you mod-killed, and it's just mean-spirited. This is a fun game, so try to have fun with it!

:right: TRY not to appeal to emotion. It happens; we all end up doing it, for the most part, some without even realizing it. And people respond differently to it. But know that if you do appeal to emotion, some will find you scummy.

:right: Finally, and perhaps most importantly, do scumhunt! The scum are not going to sit around with signs over their heads asking to be caught. You have to ask the hard questions and get them out into the open and make them mess up or say things they shouldn't. And I don't mean ask questions like, "How are you doing today?" Ask people about their motivations for doing things, or why they said things the way they did. Mafia is a game of details, and sometimes you have to be nitpicky.

Now, to answer Sween's questions,
1) My timezone is EDT (and after daylight savings time, will go to EST, though I don't know if we'll still be playing this particular game in November :eek: ).
2) I've played Mafia IRL for awhile, and joined Mafiascum in February of last year. I've completed five games and have various others that I can't talk about :D
3) Hopefully at least once a day, but it depends on the day. I work and go to university full time, so some days I literally just can't get online.

@Mod: You said with eleven alive, it takes 6 to lynch. However, I only count 9 players. To verify, it'll take 5 to lynch, correct?

Finally, VOTE: cnnr. Your name makes no sense. And your avatar is too ridiculously cute to let live. In regards to your question about strategies, I don't disagree that it could be interesting, but as this may be some peoples' first game, I'm not sure how helpful it will be. Also, my own person strategy depends a lot on the people I'm playing with, which I won't know about until later in the game.
CallMeLiam
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
CallMeLiam
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:04 am

Post by CallMeLiam »

jmurph3 wrote:
@Mod: You said with eleven alive, it takes 6 to lynch. However, I only count 9 players. To verify, it'll take 5 to lynch, correct?
Fleurgh. My other modding game has 11 in it.
Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:13 am

Post by Ragnarokio »

@Strategy Question: What i normally do is try and talk my way through the first day, not mentioning all of what i see (but definitely noting it), and generally observing players. I'll try to contribute as much as i can. As soon as i feel that I've found something potentially suspicious i'll try to talk a person around the points i have, mostly to determine if i am correct or not, and if i find that they've gotten scummier rather than more towny, then i'll up my "talking" to a full-on attack. Obviously my play isn't really that straight-forward at all though, i generally change what i'm doing a lot, and occasionally succumb to impulse.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 am

Post by Dean Harper »

1) GMT -8
2) I've got roughly 5-10 games under my belt, I was really active for about a year and half before stopping playing. I'm "technically" an IC because of those games, but I am forced into the SE role due to my absence. I'm considering this game as my "get back into the swing of things" game.
3) Mostly every day, except for a few times where homework and projects get in the way, college life is kinda tough in the spare-time department. However, I only have 2 classes per day in the mornings, with no class on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Only times I will be missing on those days would be if I have plans with friends.

Ragnarokio wrote:@Strategy Question: What i normally do is try and talk my way through the first day, not mentioning all of what i see (but definitely noting it), and generally observing players. I'll try to contribute as much as i can. As soon as i feel that I've found something potentially suspicious i'll try to talk a person around the points i have, mostly to determine if i am correct or not, and if i find that they've gotten scummier rather than more towny, then i'll up my "talking" to a full-on attack. Obviously my play isn't really that straight-forward at all though, i generally change what i'm doing a lot, and occasionally succumb to impulse.
Hmm, I get that you are explaining your playstyle, but I don't like that you are already trying to say "I'll contribute as much as possible," and laying out how you intend to play the game. I will be watching to see if you follow this pattern. "Covering" your tracks in advance seems a great way to hide scumminess. When your play tends to not match up later due to you not actually attacking someone, you will be able to say "But I haven't found anything suspicious yet."
IGMEOY
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 am

Post by Dean Harper »

Also,
vote: nonameformedude
for lack of originality.

Ragnarokio
Ragnarokio
Goon
Ragnarokio
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:34 am

Post by Ragnarokio »

Dean Harper wrote:1) GMT -8
2) I've got roughly 5-10 games under my belt, I was really active for about a year and half before stopping playing. I'm "technically" an IC because of those games, but I am forced into the SE role due to my absence. I'm considering this game as my "get back into the swing of things" game.
3) Mostly every day, except for a few times where homework and projects get in the way, college life is kinda tough in the spare-time department. However, I only have 2 classes per day in the mornings, with no class on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Only times I will be missing on those days would be if I have plans with friends.

Ragnarokio wrote:@Strategy Question: What i normally do is try and talk my way through the first day, not mentioning all of what i see (but definitely noting it), and generally observing players. I'll try to contribute as much as i can. As soon as i feel that I've found something potentially suspicious i'll try to talk a person around the points i have, mostly to determine if i am correct or not, and if i find that they've gotten scummier rather than more towny, then i'll up my "talking" to a full-on attack. Obviously my play isn't really that straight-forward at all though, i generally change what i'm doing a lot, and occasionally succumb to impulse.
Hmm, I get that you are explaining your playstyle, but I don't like that you are already trying to say "I'll contribute as much as possible," and laying out how you intend to play the game. I will be watching to see if you follow this pattern. "Covering" your tracks in advance seems a great way to hide scumminess. When your play tends to not match up later due to you not actually attacking someone, you will be able to say "But I haven't found anything suspicious yet."
IGMEOY
Not finding anyone suspicious is generally not a legitimate excuse no matter what the persons playstyle is.
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Post by 2003041 »

Hello to all! I am one of the four local SE's. Before I answer the questions, a few things I'd like to note:
1) You guys can use my nickname 2k3. It's easier to type and hell, even I use it.
2) My keyboard is screwed up. Every once in a while there will be a missing 'e' or a missing capitol letter. I will take my time typing, but if you don't understand a word because of this, let me know.

On to the questions!!!
1) I'm EST, which I believe is GMT-5
2) This is my fourth game here (2 completed and 2nd game from start) and I've only played twice off site. First one was real life (which was just terrible) and the second was on a Guitar Hero forum.
3) I can post just about every day, but I'm playing GH6 a lot right now, so I'll answer all questions asked and try and post as much as I can.

And because I can't vote for CallMeLiam for the blatant early contradiction, I will
Vote: Timmer
for having Stimpy without Ren.
Show
New Game: Town 0W//1L Scum 0W//0L Power Roles: 0/1
Replacement: Town 1W//0L Scum 0W//0L Power Roles: 1/1
Work by day, Guitar Hero/Rock Band by twilight, Mafia at night. THAT, my friends, is a perfect day!!!

We need subscribers for our GH/RB team to be sponsored.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TEAML3G3NDOFFICIAL <----Subscribe here to help us.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

Ragnarokio wrote:
Dean Harper wrote:1) GMT -8

IGMEOY
Not finding anyone suspicious is generally not a legitimate excuse no matter what the persons playstyle is.
Just making sure I point out that it's a possible move you could make.

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”