Newbie 1452: You Only Van Twice (Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Newbie 1452: You Only Van Twice (Over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Hello! Welcome to Newbie Game 1452.

If you are a newbie player, please review the game rules below.

Spoiler: Living Players (57/9)
AbboTT
Lootifer
alongtimeago
Malakittens (SE)
The Acting Method (IC)

Spoiler: Dead Players (4/9)
SatanHellYeah,
Vanilla Town
, lynched Day 1
jon_h61,
Vanilla Town
, killed Night 1
Hermy,
Vanilla Town
, lynched Day 2
RachMarie,
Town Cop
, killed Night 2

Game Rules

General Rules:

0. Read this post very carefully.
1. This is a game. Have fun!
2. Be respectful of your fellow players. Review your posts before you submit them. If you have to wonder "am I being rude here?" then you should rewrite your post.
3. Do not quote any communications between you and me. Doing so will result in a modkill.
4. Do not talk outside of this thread about this game with anyone other than me unless doing so is explicitly allowed per your role PM.
5. If I need to edit one of your posts for any reason,
i
t
w
i
l
l
l
o
o
k
l
i
k
e
t
h
i
s
. For that reason, you may use any solid colors you like, but please steer clear of any kind of rainbow gradient.
6. Do not hesitate to PM me with any questions you have about the game.
7. All general site rules apply to this game.

Game Rules:

1. The only active abilities you have during the day are voting for a lynch and talking. To vote for a lynch
Spoiler: Do this

Code: Select all

[b]vote Untrod Tripod[/b] 

or 

[vote]Untrod Tripod[/vote]

It is helpful, but not necessary for you to unvote before you change your vote.
2. Lynch is reached at a simple majority.
3. You may vote to not lynch anyone for the day cycle by voting No Lynch.
4. In general, if you have a question for me, please send it via PM. Asking me questions in-thread is fine, but I am far more likely to miss them that way.
5. If a player has not reached lynch threshold by deadline, no lynch will take place that day.

Activity Rules:

1. You must post at least once every 72 hours except in the event of V/LA (explained below). If you do not do so you will receive a prod, after which you will have 24 hours to post in this thread. Prods will be tallied in the first post in this thread. Any player who requires three prods will be force-replaced.
2. If you anticipate that you will be unable to post in the game for a period of time, post in the game what you expect this period to be like so:

Spoiler:
Untrod Tripod wrote:Sorry all, I will be V/LA from 2/22-2/25

3. Each game day will last for a maximum of 21 days.
4. All deadlines will be posted in votecounts and the current deadline will be in the first post of this thread.
5. Each night will last 72 hours. If you fail to submit a night action during that time, no action will be used.

More Rules:

1. Do not use invisible text or tiny font size to hide things.
2. If there is a modkill during the day, the game will continue as before without ending the day.
3. As the mod, I reserve the right to change any of the above ruleset (within reason) at any point. I will tell you all in the thread if the ruleset has been changed and quote the change.

IC and SE Guidelines:

The purpose of the IC and SE players in this game is to help newbies understand how this game is played and how this game is played on this website. If you have any questions about abbreviations, etiquette, mafia, etc. do not hesitate to ask your IC. Newbie games are meant to be educational. That said, remember these things
1. Because roles were assigned randomly, do not assume that your IC or SE players are town. They will provide you will good information, but they are no more likely to be town than any other player in the game.
2. There are no stupid questions! If you are unclear about any mafia-related questions ask your IC in thread. The answer to your mafia-related questions will be helpful to everyone in the game.
3. The tells and advice listed in the wiki will only get you so far. Your IC and SE are vastly more useful resources than the wiki. They will help you use analysis for this particular game.

Setup:

This game uses the Matrix6 setup. This is a semi-open setup, meaning that there are several options for what this setup could be and these options are known to you. I used random.org to determine both setup and role distribution. I sent proof of randomization to the Newbie Game List Mod.

Have fun!

Useful Links

Newbie Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Commonly Used Abbreviations
Last edited by Untrod Tripod on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Post by Malakittens »

VOTE: TAM
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
Lootifer
Lootifer
Goon
Lootifer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Post by Lootifer »

hi all

VOTE: brufe
alongtimeago
alongtimeago
Townie
alongtimeago
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Post by alongtimeago »

VOTE: SatanHellYeah
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Post by The Acting Method »

td lr: The following is a general introduction to myself as well as what you can expect from me with some commentary about the strategy behind the RVS stage, I've pretty much
stole[/strike borrowed this intro from Thor665, who is pretty awesome player. Please read on if you are a first time player or want to read the information, if not feel free to skip. I have also included information about RQS stage, It's slightly more controversial and disliked cousin. Please note that when the equal signs appear, I suggest you read as there's information that's need to know.

IC Intro
Greetings,

I am
Thor665
The Acting Method and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a Good IC
That article is part of our amazing Mafiawiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player). I also like to combine this with what its called the RQS (Random Questioning Stage) Which I tend to use alot in newbies. Basically the idea behind the RQS stage is to gather information and start getting people to ask questions and answer them. People believe that it forces people to take a stance on something and thus can benefit town while others believe that it merely stagnate's gameplay. It's purpose however is practically identical to the RVS stage and can be handy.

===========================================================================================================================================================

Now, since I have concluded my great wall of text, first some general housekeeping questions: (Note, my RQS questions are referred to as general housekeeping questions.)

Okay a few General Housekeeping questions I like to ask:
1. What time zone are you in?
2. How often do you expect to be on and posting?
3. How many games have you played in?
4. What is your opinion on Lynch all Lurkers/Liars?
5. What side do you prefer playing as?

My answers:
1. GMT -8:00 hours. (That's Pacific time.)
2. I expect to post at least once a day if not more. I'll also try to avoid double posting if I can.
3. I have been in several games, both on site and off site (all off site games are on the same site though) where I'm also a regular mod.
4. Vote prodding lurkers is acceptable, I'm not to big on replacing, (if I replace out it's a sign of frustration, not one of alignment) Voting liars is recommended when it is discovered. Both in my opinion are situational. If you are on a site like the one I come from, and most of the mafia players (by this I mean people who play mafia) are already in the game lynching an inactive or a lurker is a decent policy, just to keep the game alive. I would not recommend it here (save maybe some of the larger games where people wait for replacements for periods of time.)
5. I enjoy town far more than scum.

VOTE: Malakittens
Hello to you too!

Hi to Rach Marie as well.
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.

Theater Season Mafia STARTING SOON!!!!
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:15 pm

EBWODP (Edit by way of double post)
In post 4, The Acting Method wrote:td lr: The following is a general introduction to myself as well as what you can expect from me with some commentary about the strategy behind the RVS stage, I've pretty much
stole
borrowed this intro from Thor665, who is pretty awesome player. Please read on if you are a first time player or want to read the information, if not feel free to skip. I have also included information about RQS stage, It's slightly more controversial and disliked cousin. Please note that when the equal signs appear, I suggest you read as there's information that's need to know.

IC Intro
Greetings,

I am
Thor665
The Acting Method and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a Good IC
That article is part of our amazing Mafiawiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player). I also like to combine this with what its called the RQS (Random Questioning Stage) Which I tend to use alot in newbies. Basically the idea behind the RQS stage is to gather information and start getting people to ask questions and answer them. People believe that it forces people to take a stance on something and thus can benefit town while others believe that it merely stagnate's gameplay. It's purpose however is practically identical to the RVS stage and can be handy.

===========================================================================================================================================================

Now, since I have concluded my great wall of text, first some general housekeeping questions: (Note, my RQS questions are referred to as general housekeeping questions.)

Okay a few General Housekeeping questions I like to ask:
5. What side do you prefer playing as?

My answers:
1. GMT -8:00 hours. (That's Pacific time.)
2. I expect to post at least once a day if not more. I'll also try to avoid double posting if I can.
3. I have been in several games, both on site and off site (all off site games are on the same site though) where I'm also a regular mod.
4. Vote prodding lurkers is acceptable, I'm not to big on replacing, (if I replace out it's a sign of frustration, not one of alignment) Voting liars is recommended when it is discovered. Both in my opinion are situational. If you are on a site like the one I come from, and most of the mafia players (by this I mean people who play mafia) are already in the game lynching an inactive or a lurker is a decent policy, just to keep the game alive. I would not recommend it here (save maybe some of the larger games where people wait for replacements for periods of time.)
5. I enjoy town far more than scum.

VOTE: Malakittens
Hello to you too!

Hi to Rach Marie as well.

Lootifer
Lootifer
Goon
Lootifer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Post by Lootifer »

I love answering questions!

Gmt + 12
I can usually find more than enough time to fit in multiple daily posts but sometimes work and training/exercise gets in the way
This is my second ever mafia game. Though I hate being bad at things so have done
some
homework
I understand lying is sometimes rational but in this setup id be pretty confident of lynching someone caught in a lie. Lurkers I am less certain on as I suspect this website has a lot of people who sign up and subsequently decide mafia is not for them or find themselves out of theor depth; so I think one would need to evaluate it on a case by case basis
2 and 0 for town so far so i have no view.

Posted on phone so apologies if its a little borked
AbboTT
AbboTT
Goon
AbboTT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Post by AbboTT »

Greetings, friends.

VOTE: TAM

All aboard the IC wagon!
Meta? What meta?
alongtimeago
alongtimeago
Townie
alongtimeago
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Post by alongtimeago »

1. I live in Central Standard Time, which is I think -6:00.
2. The goal is to post at least once every day, if not more.
3. This will be my first non-face to face game, and my first game of Mafia period in a few years.
4. I think that lynching liars is something that I would be down for unless they had a reallly good reason for lying. As for lurkers, I'm not sure what I think of lynching them since I've never been able to experience it before.
5. I generally enjoy having any role that lets me gain information my opponents don't have, whether it's being in the Mafia myself or having a position like Cop or Soda Jerk that can give me info.
Brufe
Brufe
Townie
Brufe
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Post by Brufe »

Hello everyone, I'll start off by saying this is my first ever game of mafia. However, I'm familiar with how the game is played and have watched a few live matches before coming to this website.

1. Eastern Time

2. I will be posting at least once a day

3. None

4. It really depends on how much they are lurking and how late in the game it is. Lynching a liar is a policy vote for me.

5. I think it would be interesting to be the informed minority, but I like the challenge of figuring out the town circle just as much.

FoS AbboTT for feeling it necessary to come out the gate placing a second vote on the IC day 1.
AbboTT
AbboTT
Goon
AbboTT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Post by AbboTT »

@Brufe throw out a vote, buddy. Let's get this party started.

Also. Just as a side note. Quicklynch is a danger in games this small. Look to TAM for better guidance, but in general I'd say we shouldn't really go past L-2 or maybe even 3 until things have gotten rolling.

A townie lynch followed by a successful NK puts us in a baaad situation. Especially if it's early in D1 and we don't learn anything from it.
Meta? What meta?
SatanHellYeah
SatanHellYeah
Goon
SatanHellYeah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:27 am

Post by SatanHellYeah »

1. GMT +1
2. I expect to post once(at least) every week day. My activity on weekends may vary.
3. One. As scum.
4. Lynching Lurkers/Liars is just fine.
5. When I played off-site, I liked to be scum rather than town. Bad luck.

Aaaaand

VOTE: Lootifer
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste.
SatanHellYeah
SatanHellYeah
Goon
SatanHellYeah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:04 am

Post by SatanHellYeah »

Actually

UNVOTE: Lootifer

VOTE: Brufe
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste.
alongtimeago
alongtimeago
Townie
alongtimeago
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:58 am

Post by alongtimeago »

What made you decide to change your vote SHY? Was it still RVS, or did he do something that you found scummy?
Also, a question for everybody. When do you think is the right time to move out of RVS and into serious voting?
AbboTT
AbboTT
Goon
AbboTT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:36 am

Post by AbboTT »

RVS is a vehicle to break the ice and move us into the game. Personally, I like to move on to the hunt as quickly as possible. We only have so much daylight.

That being said, I also try to give everybody a chance to at least get an RVS vote out before I start digging.
Meta? What meta?
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:37 am

It depends along time ago.

However, I'm curious why AbboTT has not done the RQS stage yet.

Also @AbboTT do you support the old IC policy lynch theory and why?

AbboTT
AbboTT
Goon
AbboTT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:17 am

Post by AbboTT »

I'm not familiar with that theory, but I am against policy lynching in general. Especially in a game with so little room for error.

I would, however, like to establish an early read on you since you obviously have us at an experience disadvantage.
Meta? What meta?
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:32 am

So do the SE's.

However I notice that you over looked my other statement

[quote=I said] However, I'm curious why AbboTT has not done the RQS stage yet. [/quote]

You still have not answered this.

I have said that in n00bs I prefer RQS, You can always talk over start a wagon that could turn into a policy lynch. Which is what post 7 does. You try to save yourself by giving the advice about quick lynching. But you still don't look very good to me for those actions.

AbboTT
AbboTT
Goon
AbboTT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 am

Post by AbboTT »

I didn't overlook it. It wasn't a question. :)

You seem a little nervous about being lynched.
Meta? What meta?
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:45 am

I hate with a passion page one wagons or RVS wagons. I've seen people get lynched on them and discourage them whenever possible. The only time I find a page one wagon or RVS wagon even remotely justifiable is if someone does something so incredibly scummy that it needs voting. However those situations are very rare.

So? You didn't respond to it, and I think even without asking it as a question I made it quite clear that I wanted a response.

Just because it wasn't formed as a question, you still have not responded in any fashion, which I find highly odd and slightly suspicious.

AbboTT
AbboTT
Goon
AbboTT
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:57 am

Post by AbboTT »

In post 19, The Acting Method wrote:I hate with a passion page one wagons or RVS wagons.
Eep. I'll make a mental note of that one. That seems to go against site meta a bit doesn't it? I didn't intend to draw out hate, only scum.

For the record, I don't think anybody has done anything especially scummy yet apart from Brufe's partial TAM buddy and vote withholding.
@Brufe: TAM finds my not playing along "highly odd and slightly suspicious." What do you think?
Meta? What meta?
The Acting Method
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
The Acting Method
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 am

I'd find it less scummy if you were giving a reason instead of just deliberately ignoring it. That's what's setting off the warning bells.

RachMarie
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
HUGS ♥

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 am

Post by RachMarie »

Pacific I am in California

I work from home so depending on schedule I can post a lot or a little. It varies. I always have a tab open on MS though along with many other tabs.

Probably around 50 or so not sure would have to count them up but other than a few in game chat or skype, all the games were on this site.

Lurking can be done by either scum or town. Yes it is better for town if players are active, but RL happens. So by itself lurking is not enough reason to lynch someone. Pressure them into participating, sure, but not enough to say yes they are definitely scum. I am not a fan of lying even if town thinks they have a good reason for it. Lying as town destroys trust. It is better to tell the truth. Even as scum, its better to limit the lying to what you absolutely have to lie about.

5. What side do you prefer playing as? I have played Town and Scum, even been one of the 2 scum teams, however I have never been 3rd party so far.

So I have to say Town.

Now for my RVS

VOTE: jon

For fooling me so well last time :P
BRAND NEW Get to know me http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=69243
Like the phoenix I am rising from the ashes
chilledtea: We played bad on day 2 when we lynched rach.

YT Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0psF_ ... Jpw/videos
jon_h61
jon_h61
Mafia Scum
jon_h61
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:26 am

Post by jon_h61 »

Greetings!

First things first, answers to TAM's questions:

1. I'm in CST or Gmt-6

2. This will probably vary, but at least once a day, and probably more often than that.

3. I'm not sure, a few were eaten by Tigers, and Meat World forced me out of a few others. I've played enough games to know how easily scum can pull the wool over Town's eyes.

4.These are policy lynches that scum can safely make a case on, to try to appear Town-like. I prefer to take each situation on it's own merits before I decide where I'll stand.

5. This one's a no-brainer - TOWN! I've only played as scum twice, and both of those as a replacement. I much prefer finding my own case, and trying to convince the rest of Town that I'm right, over fabricating cases to appear Town aligned.

In post 13, alongtimeago wrote:Also, a question for everybody. When do you think is the right time to move out of RVS and into serious voting?
As fast as possible. RVS is just a term used to describe the beginning of the game, when we have no information to go on. It isn't a formal period of the game. For me RVS is over after the first initial vote I lay out. After that, every thing I read and everything I post is for the purpose of outing scum and trying to convince others I'm onto something. I'm also big on trying to create Town blocs, as these can be deadly to scum.

@ AbboTT I'm also curious why you didn't answer the RQS. Is there a reason for not answering them?
In post 19, The Acting Method wrote:I hate with a passion page one wagons or RVS wagons.
I understand where you are coming from, but sometimes they help to sort out players early on. On rare occasions a page one wagon will even catch up scum.

A last bit of advice, use the preview button. It'll help you catch badly formatted posts before they're posted. It also gives you a chance to look over your post to make sure it's understandable and says what you are trying to get across.
jon_h61
jon_h61
Mafia Scum
jon_h61
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:30 am

Post by jon_h61 »

Hi Rach

You were scum the last time we played weren't you? A series of unfortunate events drug me away from the game, and the next time I got to look it over, I was dead. Did you kill me?

As for this game
VOTE: Rach Marie
A little OMGUS goes a long way! :lol:

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”