Newbie 1475 - mafiascum ward - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Newbie 1475 - mafiascum ward - Game over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:40 am

Post by farside22 »

Welcome to Newbie 1475, A game for 9 players.
All back story in the game is for fun.

Player List:

Kop
DarkLordMauve

InsidiousLemons

knittingfrenzy18
(aka red)
sirdanilot

Xayzeck

SeeEmpty
RachMarie
Squirrel Girl (SE)

Jingle (SE)

Does Bo Know (IC)

Lobotomy death:

Spoiler:
Xayzeck - mafia goon lynched day 1

InsidiousLemons
- Town Tracker - killed Night 1

Sirdanilot - Vanilla Townie - Lynched day 2
[/color
rachMarie - vanilla townie - lynched day 3

SeeEmpty - Vanilla Townie - Killed night 3
knittingfrenzy18
(aka red) - Vanilla Townie - lynched day 4
Does Bo Know (IC)
- VT killed end game
Kop
DarkLordMauve
- 1-shot BP killed end game
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:42 am

Post by farside22 »

Please take the time to read the rules.

Spoiler: Rules
Activity:
• Days are a maximum of 2 weeks. Nights are 72 hours.
• Days end when the 2 week deadline or a majority has been reached. At the end of the deadline, if a majority has not been reached, no lynch will occur. If majority is reached early, day will end at the next vote count. Once the final vote, or hammer, is cast on a wagon, that person is effectively lynched and the town is in twilight. During this time, no votes or unvotes will be counted.
• Actions performed at night should be PMed to me. If you can perform an action, and I do not receive a PM from you, no action will occur. Though, I would still prefer a PM stating that you do not want to perform a night action if you choose to do so. If you do not have a night action, do not PM me.
• I will attempt to post a vote count every page. Although, there may be times when circumstances prevent me from doing so. I will also post a vote count whenever someone is placed at L-1. Also, a vote count may be requested at any time, as long as it’s been at least a page since the last one.
• You are expected to make at least one post every 48 hours.
• If you have not posted for at least 72 hours, I will issue a prod. If you still have not posted in 24 hours, you will be replaced. You get 3 prods per game. In the event I have to issue a fourth prod, you will be replaced.

Voting:
• Votes should be bolded and have the word “vote” followed by the person’s name. Example:
Vote farside22
or VOTE: farside. Any vote that is not bolded will not be counted.
• Talking is allowed in the thread during twilight, but it is not allowed at night.
• You are dead when I post the death scene for you. Upon your death, you are expected to stop posting. Failure to do so will result in your being engulfed by shadows.

General:
• I am the mod. It is my job to make sure that the game runs efficiently for the enjoyment of the players. Do not try to outthink me when it comes to the rules or break the game to the detriment of other players. You get a maximum of two warnings on any given offense. Do not test me.
• Do not try to unfairly influence the game. This includes claiming scum partners, making bets, or any other action that breaks the spirit of the rules and influences how the game is played.
• Do not use this color in your posts. This is my color. If you do so, it will be seen as you attempting to impersonate the mod.
• Do not directly quote any PMs from me or pretend to do so.
• Do not edit your posts. If you need to do so, do it in a double post.
• Do not speak to anybody about this game but me, unless I have given you permission to do so.
• Do not attempt to hide the content of your message. This includes any method that is not immediately readable by the majority of players, including myself.
• If you are mod killed, you will be changed into a Neutral Survivor and will automatically lose the game. The day will automatically end after a mod kill, regardless of alignment.
• Flavor text has no impact on the game and is for my enjoyment only.
• If you have a question or need to get my attention, you can either send me a PM or address a post to me in bold.
• This is a game. Games are fun. Games are also not personal. Please do not take this game personally or purposefully and maliciously prevent others from having fun. If it gets too bad, I may have to step in, and nobody wants that.
• These rules are subject to change.

This game follows the Matrix 6 setup:

ABC
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
Mafia Roleblocker
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia Goon
Town Tracker

Spoiler: Role PMs
You are a Vanilla Townie.

Your goal is to rid your town of the mafia. Your only tools are your voice and your vote. You win when you have gotten rid of all anti-town factions.

Best of luck.

You are the town doctor.

Your goal is to rid your town of the mafia. Once per night you may send me a PM with a single name. That person will be protected from all night kills. You win when you have gotten rid of all anti-town factions.

Best of luck.

You are the town cop.

Your goal is to rid your town of the mafia. Once per night you may send me a PM with a single name. At the end of the night you will receive a verdict of either mafia or town. You win when you have gotten rid of all anti-town factions.

Best of luck.

You are the town tracker.

Your goal is to rid your town of the mafia. Once per night you may send me a PM with a single name. At the end of the night you will receive a message telling you who that person visited. You win when you have gotten rid of all anti-town factions.

Best of luck.

You are the town jailkeeper.

Your goal is to rid your town of the mafia. Once per night you may send me a PM with a single name. Any actions sent by the person or targeting that person will be blocked. You win when you have gotten rid of all anti-town factions.

Best of luck.

You are a Town 1-shot bulletproof.

Your goal is to rid your town of the mafia. You may be shot 1 time and still survive. You win when you have gotten rid of all anti-town factions.

Best of luck.

You are a mafia goon, along with your partner, who is a Mafia Goon/Roleblocker.

Your goal is to take over the town. Once per night, you may send me a PM with the name of a person you wish to night kill. During the night and pre-game, you may talk with your partners here.

You win when you make up a majority of the town.

Best of luck.

You are a mafia roleblocker, along with your partner, who is a Mafia Goon.

Your goal is to take over the town. Once per night, you may send me a PM with the name of a person to night kill and/or with the name of a person to role block. You must specify each action. During the night and pre-game, you may talk with your partner here.

You win when you make up a majority of the town.

Best of luck.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:53 am

Post by farside22 »

Welcome to the MafiaScum Mental Ward, the place of the mentally insane.

The people here think there is a killer or killers on the loose. The nurses think the patients are delusional. The Doctors look at the files and know the patients are delusional. You enter the ward unaware of all the insidious underground of the horror that has taken place.

Once inside you see the bars on the window, a lone TV that has only rabbit ears and no box. There are 2 couches and 4 regular seats. One person is talking to her doll and carrying on a conversation with the thing. You start to struggle once you realize that you are to be kept in this white, depressing place.

The guards shove you into the room with 12 other people you had never met.

The guard disappears and everyone ignores you.

The lights flicker all at once. The place goes deathly quiets and then pitch black.

You panic and call out in the dark room.

“Hello!!!”

A scream is heard.

All at once the lights come on and you see the girl that had been talking to the doll on the floor with her throat split open. She is struggling for air, kicking and thrashing around. Blood spits out of her throat faster and faster.

You lean over and ask “Who did this to you”

She gargles

“aaaaaaa”

And blood spits out of her mouth.

Everyone is in shock. The girl stops moving and her eyes go wide as she gasps for her last breath.

The guard runs in and see’s you leaning over and everyone else in the room is crying.

The guard grabs you.

“Did you do this?”

“No! The lights went out I was trying to help”

Guard: “Who did this?”

No one answers.

Guard: “Till we find the killer no one leaves this room of the ward”

farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:05 am

Post by farside22 »

You can confirm either in thread or via pm
Squirrel Girl
Squirrel Girl
Mafia Scum
Squirrel Girl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:30 am

Post by Squirrel Girl »

/Hazelnuts!
InsidiousLemons
InsidiousLemons
Mafia Scum
InsidiousLemons
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:04 am

Post by InsidiousLemons »

/confirmicus
knittingfrenzy18
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:08 am

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Confirm
!

Pumped for my first MS game :)
-Red (Call me Red.)
InsidiousLemons
InsidiousLemons
Mafia Scum
InsidiousLemons
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:03 pm

In post 6, knittingfrenzy18 wrote:
Confirm
!

Pumped for my first MS game :)
Me too! Except for me, my first game ever! Hopefully a fun one.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Post by Jingle »

/confirm

Let the games begin!
InsidiousLemons
InsidiousLemons
Mafia Scum
InsidiousLemons
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 pm

In post 8, Jingle wrote:/confirm

Let the games begin!
May the odds be ever in your favor...

...Once 3 more people confirm.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Post by farside22 »

I will be giving people 48-72 hours to confirm. I hope we did not loss anyone waiting for a game to start
SeeEmpty
SeeEmpty
He/Him
Goon
SeeEmpty
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Post by SeeEmpty »

Confirm!

2 more to go! :)
DarkLordMauve
DarkLordMauve
Townie
DarkLordMauve
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 am

Post by DarkLordMauve »

/confirm :D
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:11 am

Post by farside22 »

The guard lets you out of your rooms.

"Figure out who the killer is and we will make sure to find the truth."
"Why trust us?" You ask
"Who better to understand the workings of a crazy person but some who is crazy too."
The guard smirks.
"You stay in this room and give me a name."

The guard walks out the door and you hear the cluck of a lock.

It is now day one. With 9 alive it will take 5 to lynch.
Deadline is February 24th 9:10am EST.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:36 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

I’m Does Bo Know, and I’ll be your IC this game. If you don’t like calling me that, I really prefer DBK or just Bo. Anything else is really distracting to me for some reason.

Firstly, we have 2 SE’s playing with us today, and they are here to introduce some experience into the game, so that the newbies can see how players play here at MafiaScum. It is not their job to answer questions about theory, setup, etc., but I’d expect that if a newbie asks them about reads or something, they should try to answer for the sake of your learning experiences.

As always, you should listen to the Mod and follow their rules, and they are always the best people to ask when it comes to setup questions.

Out of respect, it is in your best interest to stay fairly active in games of Mafia. If you find yourself always having to replace out of games or not being able to catch up, Mafia may not be the game for you. Replace out if necessary, of course, but don’t do it all the time. And try to enjoy yourself. If you’re not having fun playing, Mafia isn’t for you, so I'll have to do with orange.

In order to best separate my mentoring role as an IC and my role in this game as an experienced player, I will be typing my IC notes in green. I like purple, but that's the Mod's color.

So, review:
- SE’s aren’t here to answer questions but I expect them to be willing to explain some of their play to newbies that don’t understand.
- Mod is here to answer questions regarding setup, or any rules in this game.
- I am here to answer all other questions (certain terms you don’t understand, reasons why something may be a scum/town tell, or anything that might come to mind in that respect).
- Try to stay active, play to win, play by the rules, and have fun!

Let’s get started!

VOTE: InsidiousLemons
MAKE LIFE TAKE THE LEMONS BACK!

I'd also like everyone to answer these, since I've found these are a great way to stir up discussion in Newbie games:

- How do you feel about a "Lynching All Liars" policy?

- A "Lynching All Lurkers" policy?

- Have you played anywhere else before/have experience with Mafia? (Newbies only)

It's not too important if the SE's choose not to answer these, but every answer at least helps me get started. I'll give my answers if enough people ask but I wanna see where you guys stand.
Town: 11-12; Scum: 10-4; Third-party 1-0
knittingfrenzy18
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:11 am

Ah, the IC decided to make a nice introduction. Allow me to:

I'm Red, and I'm a girl. Just to get that out of the way.

I have played forum mafia before, on another site, but not more than around 4 games. I'm here to test the waters at MS and learn all yall's traditions. When I get comfortable around here, I'll be jumping into the other fora to hone my logic skills. :)

Vote: Does Bo Know
for being the IC yayay RVS

RQS:
1. I think LAL is a legit policy lynch and I understand the logic behind it, yet I don't always advocate it (e.g. hypo even though that's not a real lie), besides other reasons town might lie.
2. Lynch all lurkers? From where I come from, never heard of it before, and back there, I would never do it. Lurking may or may not be different here though, and that's what I'm here to learn.
3. Well there you go, up there. I've played mafia at AoPS; I come heralding from the same place as willwang123 and basketballstar24. I've also played some chat mafia at EpicMafia, but I'm horrible at that. I really love forum mafia and how well I can play it.

Might I add more RQS questions?
- Are you better at playing as town or mafia?
- What timezone are you in?
- What is the last thing you ate?

4. I'm better playing as mafia. Even though my experience is limited, I simply cannot control the game the way I'd like to as a townie. When I'm mafia, I can be a master manipulator, since I know pretty much everything there is to know about the game, plus I personally feel that I can pull off a pretty good town cover. When I'm town, however, I can be a scumhunting failure. I make a lot of scummy mistakes that leave me dead, one way or the other [by the newb scum] way.
5. ET. Maryland!
6. A fried dumpling.
-Red (Call me Red.)
knittingfrenzy18
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:14 am

Question towards IC/SE: What is the difference between bolding votes and using the vote tag? Is one preferable over another?
-Red (Call me Red.)
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:17 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

In post 15, knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Might I add more RQS questions?
- Are you better at playing as town or mafia?
- What timezone are you in?
- What is the last thing you ate?
- Record says Mafia, but I feel like my town game is improving while my scum game isn't, likely because my scum game is now distinguishable from my better town game.
- CST (GMT -6 I believe?)
- I actually don't remember...I wanna say a buffalo chicken pizza? I might've had candy hearts or something between but eh.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:18 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

In post 16, knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Question towards IC/SE: What is the difference between bolding votes and using the vote tag? Is one preferable over another?
There is no difference. Vote tags are usually easeer for mobile phone users, but otherwise I haven't met a mod yet that wanted one over the other. The unvote tag is IMO the more useful tag since you can just click it and it still works without putting a name in.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:18 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

easier

whatever the one time I decide not to preview my post
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:41 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

Do you like being called Red instead of your username?

Also I've always been a little irritated with people that don't like being called an opposite gender if they don't put their gender under their avatar. At least you did both :P

Everyone should get an avatar if they haven't already. A lot of people here use that as an identifier in a game more than the actual username.
knittingfrenzy18
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:49 am

I wrote:Red is my favorite color, in addition to being a conveniently short alias.
Me explaining why I like being called Red. I highly prefer it over my username, but obviously my username can be used for official purposes.

Hmm yay I didn't notice the gender under the avatar. Ilikeit.
-Red (Call me Red.)
SeeEmpty
SeeEmpty
He/Him
Goon
SeeEmpty
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:03 am

Post by SeeEmpty »

Hi, I am SeeEmpty! I have registered this account quite some time ago and played 2 games, but didn't get to finish both due to problem with the forum. So technically I've never completed any forum Mafia game before. However, I did play a few chat games on mIRC around the time I registered this account, but those games are quite weird (with very strange roles and very small number of players).

To me, there should be no reason to lie if you're Town. So lynching all liars does make sense.

Lurkers are not helpful if they are town as they do not give you any idea about their alignment. If there is no obviously scummy player around, then by process of elimination those lurkers are probably scum. Still it is not a good idea to just lynch any lurker,

I'm much more comfortable playing town from my chat game experience, but I'd say I suck equally on both town and scum. Probably a wee bit better at town,
probably

Timezone: GMT+8, if anyone failed to notice. :wink:

Errrmm... What I ate? Why does this matters? :?

VOTE: DarkLordMauve

because I've never heard any good guy being called a Dark Lord before.
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:36 am

Post by Does Bo Know »

UNVOTE:
VOTE: SeeEmpty
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:57 am

Post by Jingle »

I'm Jingle, one of the less unexperienced players of the game. I promise I've never played mafia before. Not even in any of my completed games on site. :shifty:

One point that was missing from Our Friendly Neighborhood
Spiderman
IC's intro is that his helpfulness is not alignment specific. For that matter, you should probably expect me and the other SE to also answer questions helpfully regardless of alignment. I will not lie about game theory or any of that there nonsense in this game. This game is primarily to introduce new players to the game, and I will do my best in that capacity.

On the topic of questions:

I despise policy lynches. If you are going to lynch someone, let it be alignment based, not utility based. With that said, in certain cases lying and lurking can be scumtells. I live in the PST (UTC-8). I enjoy playing town more in mountainous games and scum in role madness. I have much more practice playing as scum, but my record in both cases is fairly good.

Something I've seen be a problem recently: Do not fakeclaim as vanilla town. It is stupid, and will inevitably hurt us.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”