Newbie 1497 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Josh_B
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1550 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:14 am

Post by Josh_B »

I thought about shooting knell. but I pressed enter. on the Aquamin night kill. and said screw it, I'm hosed either way. You and Knell have both been in games with me before. I didn't think I could convince either of you that this was my town game. JCM and Mewbie, but I guess I was kind of uneasy about the position I was already in, and I didn't know what trickster was planning. But then I slipped and you caught me on it. I figured better to save the WIFOM and further scum meta for a future game.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1551 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 am

Post by Thor665 »

::insert rage::

I'm a touch busy in RL at this second, I will do my usual post game writeup no later than the end of this coming weekend though.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1552 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:04 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 1501, Knell wrote:It's going to be hilarious if we should've just sheeped Thor the whole game XD.
And, yeah, "hilarious" by way of "unending rage" ;)
Knell
Knell
Goon
Knell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1553 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Post by Knell »

It took awhile. But we saw your greatness eventually Thor. :]
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1554 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Unending rage.
Knell
Knell
Goon
Knell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1555 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Post by Knell »

That made me smile slightly.
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1556 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Post by Aquanim »

Can't say I'm smiling.
Knell
Knell
Goon
Knell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1557 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Post by Knell »

? I thought it was a good... I don't know the word. It's like when you say you're mad at someone, but you're being hyperbolic and not serious.

Like saying you'll never forgive someone for eating your chocolate or something.
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1558 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Post by Aquanim »

Meh, I'm in a foul mood today. Don't mind me.
Knell
Knell
Goon
Knell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1559 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Post by Knell »

:] All have those days. It was fun to play with you Aqua.
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1560 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Post by Aquanim »

To you as well Knell. And, for that matter, most everyone else.
Madonna
Madonna
Goon
Madonna
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1561 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Post by Madonna »

Salutations; I sucked. My reads were smurfing great, but that is all I got. Thanks, town, for giving me a small share in the glory by not sucking. Hearty congratulations to Not_Mafia, Knell, and Aquanim on rooting out the evil. Consolations to Thor665, theelkspeaks, and Belisarius for dying too soon.

Josh_B, you were in a hard spot in terms of integrating, though your predecessor did a good job of appearing town to the majority, so you had good odds. BlueBloodedToffee, remind me to never, ever care about AtEs. Tr1ckster, your charade worked for quite some time; good work.

I hope to get to play with you folks, replaced included, in future games and maybe lynch a few of you. Cheers.
Make the right decision,
VOTE: Madonna
Belisarius
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1562 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:53 am

Post by Belisarius »

To answer your question from before the game ended, Josh: Yes, I have failed to send a NK before. ONLY ONCE! In a bastard game, no less (StrangerCoug's La Isla de Muerte)

I got distracted by a video game and lost track of what day it was and missed the NK deadline. :(
Josh_B
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1563 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:06 am

Post by Josh_B »

Thanks Madonna. I still would have liked to see the Knell kill Night 3 instead of Thor (but I didn't get to choose). I keep mentioning it because I actually want to hear BBT's thought on the case he was going to make, but I haven't been saying it out right. ::curse you Mafia for trying to be manipulative all the time:: She's a tough player to lynch. I feel like people were thinking the same way about the Belisarius lynch. He can be a dangerous foe, or a victorious ally on either side of the field.
Madonna
Madonna
Goon
Madonna
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1564 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Post by Madonna »

Oh, huge failure to give thanks to Zaicon for moderating and putting up with our nonsense. I hope you were entertained, Zaicon!
Make the right decision,
VOTE: Madonna
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1565 (ISO) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Post by Thor665 »

@Josh - I would agree that would have been a better kill. I was more correct than Knell in my reads, but town was not only ignoring me, they were calling me scum at that point. I was quite surprised that I got night killed.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1566 (ISO) » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

OK guys, not sure how long Trick will be so gonna post up our Mafia thread here.

http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/e7RZ2wEQWPK
Squirrel Girl
Squirrel Girl
Mafia Scum
Squirrel Girl
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1567 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:35 am

Post by Squirrel Girl »

Hi everybody!

It's now time for;

Thor's Semi-Patented Wall o' Reads!

Aquanim - Well, the mod's list makes this interesting out the bat. This is apparently a touchy one for you as evidenced by your last postings here...but, I will note, that I think your frustration towards me is misplaced. My reads were highly accurate in this game - and I was generally ignored. Now, part of that might be because I didn't sell myself correctly. However, part of that is also because of how other's reacted to me. I think your reaction was amongst the worst, and I think this post here really sums up my issue with your play. I think that you allowed a personal dislike of me to bleed into your alignment read of me, and then paired that with scumtells that...made no sense. You found logical inconsistencies, yes. I cannot deny that - however you failed to show any scum motivation for them. Town will say and do bad and silly things ALL THE TIME. It is your job, as town, to figure out the MOTIVATION behind them. motives are scummy, actions are simply tools to figure out motive. I think you spend way too much time focused on actions, and not enough time trying to spot the motives and reasoning for the actions. As a quick example, note that I thought you were being a poor player on multiple fronts...but I never stopped calling you town. That's because I could tell your motive was town minded - it was just wrong. As your town play deepens and you learn to look to the next level, I think your accuracy will improve. I also give you solid props for a good 'looking town' game, which was helpful.

Belisarius - As I said when i voted you, I thought the case on you was pretty silly. Your biggest crime was mostly kind of lurking out near the end...but I can understand how when a derpy case is being shoved at you that most people tend to react with rage or ennui. I thought you played fine.

BlueBloodedToffee - The tell that busted you in my mind was one of applying the same tell differently to two people. The only logical reason to do that is if you have an agenda and are ergo - scum. I think the best defense of this will come as you learn your town game better. Here's my own supah sekrit scum strategy - don't lie. When you are making a case on someone, make the exact sort of case you'd make as town - it's a brilliant method. You had excellent communication in the QT - you and Trickster are about the best scum QT I've seen in a Newb, certainly the best I've seen this year.

Tr1ckster - your advice in the scum QT was spot on and well done. Though I have no idea why you think I'm an easy mislynch ;) We'll have to try that next game, and see who can make which happen :D . I don't think you should have tried the notes gambit (even if some town players defended you over it - which is just poor on their part) also, you definitely lurked out near the end...albeit with needing a replacement, but if any of that was intentional lurking it really hurt your situation.

Knell - I think you probably had overall the best town performance. You were not the most clearly seen as town, but your reads were, generally speaking, pretty spot on. You, functionally, proved Trick scum with your line of inquiry, and you were quite willing to state your reads at any point.

Madonna - I think you died due to good scum play. Their PR quest was well done. I thought you played fine for while you were in the game, if you were holding back because you were a PR I don't think that's a good idea and you could have been more forthright.

Not_Mafia - Just stop defending scum :P I think you overall did a solid enough job. My issue with you is you often felt disassociated from the game. Like you only half remembered things and were not on top of the game flow. Are you playing a lot of games at once? You might find your accuracy improving if you maybe played 1-2 less simultaneously. I went through some time finding my own sweet spot where I had enough games to stay interested while also having not so many that I didn't become overwhelmed. It is massively pro town to balance this, because only a scum player can do okay with that as a situation - and consequently a town player is kinda being a derp to his fellow town if he's doing it.

theelkspeaks - I voted you simply because the other main wagon was me (for some reason :igmeou: ). I thought you were, at best, an okay lynch. I think my biggest willingness to lynch you was simply that you didn't see Aqua as town. Partly that's maybe my fault for not explaining it to you clearer at some earlier point, or maybe not reminding myself how new of a player you are. Stuff like that should stop bugging you as you play a few more games and get better at spotting town players.

Also my general IC blurb here - everything above is opinions, take it, leave it, but I think it's at least worth reading and working over in your head to see if you think I have a point. I actually did like how independent the town was in that they didn't insta-sheep me (though that was frustrating too), but it is good to have your own thoughts and not be scared to state them. I'm available to answer any questions you have about any of the above thoughts, or anything else in the game, or to talk about theory, or why I did any given action, or what I thought about any given action, yadda, yadda. I'm a theory resource if you want it.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1568 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:36 am

Post by Thor665 »

An alt slip, but, yes, same deal ^^^
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1569 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:51 am

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

Thanks Thor. I have only played 2 games so far and in both games I rolled scum so it was difficult for me to get started not knowing how I would play as town. Really enjoyed the game though.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1570 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:59 am

Post by Thor665 »

That's rough, I think it's exceedingly hard to play decent scum until you know how you play your town game. You'll get there soon enough, the RNG gawds are a fickle bunch.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1571 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Post by F-16_Fighting_Falcon »

In post 1568, Thor665 wrote:An alt slip, but, yes, same deal ^^^
This is interesting. I never would have guessed...
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1572 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Post by Thor665 »

It was intentional that way.

Also, I had not been happy with the reactions I had been getting from my stronger playstyle, and wanted to try a softer sell approach - but knew if I just did it directly I'd be lynched for not playing like I always do. It was mostly magical to, once again, be called obv. town simply because people were not weighed down by paranoia about my scumplay.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1573 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Post by Thor665 »

The funniest thing was the amount of people guessing at the alt - some of the guesses were hilariously off.
Josh_B
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1574 (ISO) » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Post by Josh_B »

In truth, I'm a little glad to see the alt come out. Thor, I have some things I'm going to want to talk to you about in a couple of weeks or so.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”