Newbie 1513: Lingo Linguistics (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #1200 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:54 am

Post by pirate mollie »

drew n1, vetty (no brainer) n2, hd n3
whew!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1201 (ISO) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:11 am

Post by Thor665 »

With a lynch of drew, I would know it wasn't a drastic scum action to try to turn around the Day 1 lynch to me.
With no other information my reads would have remained about the same.

Looking back my top scumspects appeared to be BB or HD - I would have probably continued on the HD push.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1202 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:38 am

Post by Rob14 »

In post 1197, Aneninen wrote:Rob, you told me that I should remind you something: 713.

The comment I wanted to make, now that you're not caught up in determining whether I'm saying something intentionally for alignment purposes, is the following:

We were not attacking you. Identifying a communication issue is crucial to discerning alignments. Lately, my scumhunting has been mostly composed of analyzing language and word choice (in combination with the "big things", but the better players don't slip up in big ways so the little things count extra). If I can't count on that when analyzing you because you have English as a second language and may not fully understand the connotation inherent in certain words, I really need to know that. Same goes for other players in the game. This isn't attacking you at all; you speak the language quite well. But there's still a big difference in how I read native and non-native speakers. Similarly, there's a difference between how I read people who have compatible experience in the game (i.e. similar formats/setups played on the forums or IRL) versus genuine newbies. Spotting the difference between the two is fundamentally important to my ability to read a player.

I wasn't trying to attack you personally in any way (and I'm sure the other experienced players are the same in this respect). Noting that there is a communication issue is just something that allows scumhunting. It's like if I'm speaking American English and you're speaking English with a heavy Scottish accent. We have to identify that there's an issue, because despite me being 25% Scottish, I can't understand a word anyone says with a thick Scottish accent. Then we have to slow down and speak deliberately so that we can understand each other. That's all the other players and I were trying to do.
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1203 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:09 am

Post by Aneninen »

I see your point, Rob.

Though I've already written everything about this topic in the thread, I'm recapitulating the most important things.

(1) Since I've been playing only IRL Mafia before, the posting style of some of you appeared to be rude. In an IRL game we have a thumb rule like "don't attack the player; attack the case". Having read other threads and by joining other games I realized later that your posts were eventually normal.

(2) Before joining the forum I thought that there are players from all around the world. Why? Because by playing many other kinds of online games I had had this experience before. Later I realized that most of you are from The US, some of you are from The UK or Australia or other native-speaker countries and there are not that many non-native players. Thatswhy I didn't understand why it was a "big deal" that I'm not a native speaker. Also, sometimes I'm simply unfamiliar with the Mafiascum terms (like MyLo/LyLo and things like that), though I've read the Wiki a lot. (Side-note: that was the main reason for mentioning the timezone topic: I thought that the players were most probably from different countries...)

(2/A) By the way, I can feel offended easily if someone says that my English is bad. There is a reason for it, I may tell it in PM if you're interested in it.

(3) I also understoond later that it was a mere coincidence that some of the experienced players had "attacked" a newbie. See also (1). Though, on Day1 I thought that it was not a coincidence. Shyt happens, I suppose, I'm not the only one in the Mafiascum history who made up an utterly wrong case. See also (2) – I thought that if some of you had a communication issue for
real
, there should have been questions about concrete sentences like "what did you mean by... ?" Instead of dealing the "misrepresentation–misinterpretation" cards over and over.

[Side-note: As I mentioned it before, I was working as a journalist for long years. I got used to writing like that. This means: I write something, I read it back, I edit the text, read it back again, etc. I realized that I have no time for this method. Thatswhy I end up with shytty sentences and this has nothing to do with the language I use.]

(4) In addition, I have many experiences on other webpages (not mafia-pages) where it's "normal" that the "older" members are trying to make "newcomers" quit for good. I thought it was the same here. I don't want to say bad things about anyone but, Stabsinthe's attitude strengthened this feeling in me. (Later, of course it turned out that he was a jerk and he should have been ignored all the time.)

(5) Though it's not about the things you were writing about, but I think it's very important so I write it again: before the game started I had had to wait a lot in the queue, than for the start. I would have been really annoyed if I had been quicklynched on Day1 because of a stupid case, or because of "communication barriers". (You'd understand the latter part better if you lived in such a vile country like this.) Later I understood that getting quicklynched on Day1 is very, very rare, and weak cases on Day1 are pretty common.
I strongly think
that the IC speech (or the mod speech?) should contain something about this topic. Something like
Don't get worried if there are a couple of votes for you early in the game. Quicklynches on Day1 are really rare, especially in newbie games. (Unless you do something extremely scummy.) Remember: a Day lasts for two weeks. Even if you have more votes than anyone else, it's still unsure that you're going to be the Day1 lynch in the end.
(Especially since Days are much shorter on many other webpages.) In my opinion, a comment like this might help newbies a lot!

In short, I think the whole fight came from several unfortunate events and misunderstandings. Has this post cleard the things for you, Rob?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1204 (ISO) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 am

Post by Thor665 »

I would refuse to include that info in y speech because it would be anti-town in my opinion.
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1205 (ISO) » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:01 am

Post by Aneninen »

I have been thinking. Maybe I'm going to write a separate post about it and about other ideas, somewhere in the Discussion section. Talking about them OFF-game is not anti-town, I suppose.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1206 (ISO) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Post by Mina »

Goodbye.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”