Newbie 1675: Resolution Mafia - GAME OVER!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Newbie 1675: Resolution Mafia - GAME OVER!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:17 am

Post by fferyllt »

Newbie 1675 - Resolution Mafia

Moderator: fferyllt

The New Year is a time for making changes, starting afresh, and resolving to accomplish new goals. And a time for backsliding, forgetting, and same old same old. This game will test your resolve!

Player List (9)

AlwaysInnocent
Spader9

KickAssAndGiggle
Christopher
Radical Rat
Calvary choclatethunder_

Nictherat
Kosc, Blurry

PhantomCobalt
Bellaphant
(SE)
pignash
Lowell (SE)

Accountant (SE)
Drixx (IC)

Spoiler: Alive
KickAssAndGiggle
Christopher
Radical Rat
PhantomCobalt
Accountant
Drixx

Spoiler: Dead

Nictherat,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day 1
AlwaysInnocent
Vanilla Townie
, died Night 1
pignash
Mafia Goon
, lynched Day 2

Spoiler: Modkilled
None...ever

Spoiler: Vote Counter Settings
Living PlayersKickAssAndGiggle
Christopher
Radical Rat (replaces Calvary; choclatethunder_)
PhantomCobalt
Accountant
Drixx

Links

Last edited by fferyllt on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:32 am, edited 13 times in total.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:21 am

Post by fferyllt »

Newbie Setup

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
Mafia Roleblocker
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia Goon
Town Tracker

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. For example Row 1 (1 jailkeeper, 1 vanilla townie, 1 mafia goon) would add an additional 5 vanilla townies and 1 mafia goon, for a total setup of 1 jailkeeper, 6 vanilla townies, and 2 mafia goons.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional private thread, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and at all times during the Day and Night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional private thread, located here, which you may talk in during pregame, and at all times during the Day and Night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.
r

The game thread is here.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 am

Post by fferyllt »

Rules:

Voting and Deadlines:

1. Voting must be bolded in the form
Vote: Player
- bold tags

Code: Select all

[b]Vote: Player[/b]
or

VOTE: Player vote tags

Code: Select all

[vote]Player[/vote]

or else they will not be counted. Unvotes are not required to change your vote, but they are helpful. Please note: I'm using an automated vote counter. If you don't use the vote tags, be sure to add a colon after the word "Vote".

2. I don't mind if you use nicknames/abbreviations when you vote someone. But if I have no idea who you're voting for, then the vote won't be counted. Please note: the vote counting application may be more finicky about nicknames than I am. If you notice that your vote hasn't been recorded, please let me know.

3. Lynches require a majority of votes: (number of living players/2) +1, rounded down.

4. If there's no majority at deadline, there's no lynch.

5. When the hammer vote is cast, all players, including the lynched may talk freely until the final vote count and lynched player's cardflip have been posted. I will lock the game thread at that time.

6. When you are hammered, on the following day, you may make a "bah" post with no game-relevant information. Nothing more.

7. Deadlines are set at two weeks and extensions will only be given in the most extreme of circumstances.

Prods and Replacements:

1. Prods will be given if you do not post in
48 hours
. Weekends count as a single full day in determining if a prod is due.

2. You will be replaced if you either do not respond to a prod, or need to be prodded more than 3 times total. You may request for a player to be prodded at any time, but the less you request, the happier your mod is. Prods requested when a player has been absent for less than 48 hours do not count for replacement purposes.

3. If you're V/LA, make sure I know. If you are V/LA for more than a week, I'd suggest requesting replacement, but that's not required. If a lengthy V/LA is adversely affecting the game (e.g., if you are not able to post minimally during that time), then your mod may replace you.without penalty.

Misc.

1. Dark Blue (#004080) is the color I will use for mod posts. Please don’t use this color or otherwise try to make your posts look like mod posts..

2. You can talk about the game in the private threads given to you via PM. Otherwise, please refrain from talking about this game outside of this thread, and don't talk about other games inside of this game. This is a sitewide rule. See announcement here.

3. No editing, deleting, using invisible texts, write in code, etc...

4. Don't quote or talk about any mod-recieved PMs. Your flavor is for you to enjoy and you only until the end of the game.

5. I make mistakes. If you notice I make one, please let me know.

6. Questions are vastly preferable to Modkills. If you're thinking about to do something that you're unsure is within the letter or spirit of these rules and the game of mafia, then tell me about it.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:27 am

Post by fferyllt »

Role PMs will go out shortly. Confirmations will take place via PM. Once at least 7 of the 9 players have confirmed, I'll open the thread and we'll start the game!

I'll update this post as pre-game things happen.

UPDATE 1: Roles are out, 5 confirmations so far.

UPDATE 2: 7 have confirmed! The game will start momentarily.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:57 am

Post by fferyllt »

Vote Count 1.1
Day 1 Begins!

Not Voting
(9): Lowell, Spader9, choclatethunder_, Accountant, KickAssAndGiggle, Christopher, Blurry, Bellaphant, Drixx

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline: January 18, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2016-01-17 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

Blurry and choclatethunder_ have 24 hours in which to post before I must seek a replacement.
- :]

Idic
Christopher
Christopher
Goon
Christopher
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:41 am

Post by Christopher »

Good morning! What a time to be alive...
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:05 am

Post by KickAssAndGiggle »

Greetings fellow hunters of the scum. This shall be my first game on this site, but I have played a dozen or so games in off-topic sections of other gaming forums. In fact, I found myself enjoying those Mafia games more than talking about the PC game/XBox game the forum was actually for...and hence why I am now here, playing with you fine ladies and gentlemen.

Anyway...

VOTE: Accountant

(Because all good Mafias surely have an accountant! :])
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:01 am

Post by Lowell »

VOTE: spader

What do the things in parentheses mean? I'm an SE! Is that good?
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:16 am

My utterly non-extensive reading on the matter leads me to believe that SE means "Semi Experienced", i.e. it's not your first game on the site.
It's OK if you disagree with me. I can't
force
you to be right...
Spader9
Spader9
Townie
Spader9
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:27 am

Post by Spader9 »

Just gonna OMGUS this.

VOTE: Lowell
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 am

Post by Drixx »

VOTE: KickAssAndGiggle because that red avatar border totally makes his posts look sinister.

IC Introduction:
Hello everyone. My name is Drixx and I am your IC for this game. IC is a bit of humor, standing for Inexperience Challenged. The IC is a volunteer position served by experienced players who wish to help newer folks have an enjoyable experience in their first games, and to help teach some of the basics of the game and answer any questions of mafia game theory which may arise. There are also SE players in the game, which means that they have played a certain number of games including at least one outside of the Road to Rome. SEs are not obligated to answer questions, nor are they obligated to answer honestly should they choose to answer any questions.

The IC position is not at all indicative of role or alignment, so anything I say using this color should not be used to judge my alignment. This also means that you can trust me to always be honest with you concerning questions of mafia theory, as I understand it, when I speak in this color as the game's IC. Some areas of theory are always evolving or have several viewpoints, and while I will do my best to be thorough, I also will try not to leave you with novels to read. If there are differing views, I will explain the ones I am familiar with and which particular part I agree with.

Please be aware that while I shall not lie to you in my role as IC, you should consider me just as likely as any other player in the game to be on the scum team. The roles are assigned randomly. This also means that while I will always be honest and helpful with my posts and answers about the game, you should be careful as sometimes an honest answer can be very misleading. Mafia is a game with many facets, and deception is one of the most valuable; especially for the scum team. As the game's IC, I have a private topic where I can post thoughts about the game as it progresses, and should there be any time where I choose to play differently than I would otherwise play, because I am the game's IC, I will make a note of it there so you can see after the game.

As a start: Since it takes only 5 votes on day one to lock someone, you should think carefully before placing a vote that might allow the scum team to lock a player. As the days move onward, the number of votes required lessens and placing a vote is something you will want to think about carefully. You can always state that you suspect someone. Generally this is done by using the acronym FoS, which means "Finger of Suspicion". If you place a vote that puts someone one vote away from being lynched, it is generally considered good form to put a bold warning that the player is at L-1 (Locking Votes minus 1). If a player is already at L-1, generally you should state an intent to vote and allow them time to give a final defense, reads, or make a claim.

Finally, there is plenty of time in each day phase, so be sure to discuss things with the rest of the players, ask questions, respond to questions from others, and check back in as often as you have the time. An active game is a great deal more fun than an inactive one.

Please do remember to keep things civil. A little humor never hurts, so long as it isn't in the form of a personal attack against other players. Mafia is a game that can sometimes inspire emotion, and if you get frustrated with another player, remember to attack the play and not the player. That's about it for my introductory post. If you have any questions for me, please bold them and put them on a new line starting with @Drixx or @IC to make sure that I see them, and I'll do my very best to answer it as quickly as possible.

I work as a professor in real life, so please feel free to ask as many questions as you would like; I really don't mind answering them.

Let's have a great game guys!
Get to know a Drixx - Recently Updated!
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 am

Post by Bellaphant »

VOTE: Drixx

Didja miss me? :P
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:15 am

Drixx wrote:VOTE: KickAssAndGiggle because that red avatar border totally makes his posts look sinister.

Erythrophobia: an irrational fear of the color red.

I heard a rumor its an affliction you apparently share with John Gotti. Hmm...

(Although it
may
be that I heard the rumor when I made it up...2 minutes ago)
force
you to be right...
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:21 am

Post by Drixx »

In post 11, Bellaphant wrote:VOTE: Drixx

Didja miss me? :P

Of course I did. Love that avatar!
Christopher
Christopher
Goon
Christopher
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:59 am

Post by Christopher »

Can we vote to not lynch anyone on day 1? I would think that would be preferable that to mislynch.
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:11 pm

You are welcome not to use your vote before the end-of-day deadline, and you are welcome to attempt to persuade others to follow your example.

If nobody has a
majority
at deadline, there will be No Lynch. (This is standard setup: in other more complex games it may be that only a
plurality
is needed).

But if we No Lynch:

1) Scum get to pick first person to leave the game, which is a clear advantage to them,

2) If our investigative role (assuming we have one, in 4 of 6 setups for Newbie Games, we do) gets "unlucky" on Night One, the advantage to scum is even bigger,

3) The whole point of forum mafia is working out who is scum from their posts. By the end of the day, we ought not to be so in the dark to not have a clue, and

4) One of the best ways of finding scum is by analyzing the reasons they give to lynch someone, and the order in which they entered onto the lynch bandwagon. No lynching gives no (or less) info.

To be clear, I am 99% sure I
won't
be going for No Lynch already. I in fact find your suggestion suspicious. Perhaps you genuinely didn't know the answer to your question. Or perhaps...you want us to
think
you didn't...
force
you to be right...
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Post by Lowell »

In post 14, Christopher wrote:Can we vote to not lynch anyone on day 1? I would think that would be preferable that to mislynch.

This is the novice-iest question ever-- this guy is town.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:15 pm

Post by Lowell »

Also LOL at this IC thing. I guess I didn't know what I was getting myself into.
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:04 pm

Post by Drixx »

In post 17, Lowell wrote:Also LOL at this IC thing. I guess I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

You're in an (SE) slot. That just means you have some experience on site. You aren't obligated to do anything special.
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:01 pm

In post 16, Lowell wrote:
In post 14, Christopher wrote:Can we vote to not lynch anyone on day 1? I would think that would be preferable that to mislynch.

This is the novice-iest question ever-- this guy is town.

Totally possible. My reply that it was suspicious was ever-so-slightly "tongue in cheek".

I'm null reading him for now though: if he is scum and has played before off-site, its the sort of thing they might try to pull.

However, you were very quick to call him town Lowell: do you not consider it even possibly a scum ploy?
force
you to be right...
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

Yup. The question - not terribly suspicious. The town read in a couple of posts for something that easily faked... Hella alarm bells.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:56 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

Also, no lynch is terrible for town :)
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 am

In post 21, Bellaphant wrote:Also, no lynch is terrible for town :)

I need to learn to be succinct. That's what I was trying to say, but you got it across in 7 words, while I needed 300. :)
force
you to be right...
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:31 am

Post by Lowell »

@ mod

When I signed up for this, I hadn't played in several years. Since then a few games have started so I feel like I'm back in the swing of things again. If there's an actual newbie that needs a spot, they can have mine.

To be clear, I am happy to play this out. But yeah, I feel a little guilty taking a newbie slot that I don't need after all, so please feel free to replace me if there's someone eagerly waiting.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:25 am

Post by fferyllt »

Searching for a replacement for Lowell, Blurry and choclatethunder_.

EDIT: kosc replaces Blurry and Calvary replaces choclatethunder_

Idic

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”