Newbie 1694 (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1375 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:32 am

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

I remember you saying my catch up posts didn't feel genuine but I never knew what that actually meant.
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1376 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:40 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

I think I said this, but it felt like you started with a read and went from there. I'm not sure if you actually did that, but you at least had the information about everyone's alignment which would have been enough to give off that vibe. Like, you didn't comment as if you were town reading the game for the first time. Things like ignoring ghostwheel and Replace's posts. Like, a town member would not have ignored them because that's the only info they had. And it's not just that you read them and didn't comment, there were things town would have found important that you didn't think about or mention. There were a few things like that that stood out to me.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1377 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:43 am

Post by chilledtea »

I think it's unfortunately pretty common for town replacements to ignore dead people's posts unless they are scum, in which case they look for associatives.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1378 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:44 am

Hmm, I'm not sure if that comes down to our own perception of what is and isn't important.

When I read the game, I had no idea of the current game-state (otherwise I would not have ended up with a scum read on Almost of all people). I try to likit what I know so that my catch up looks as genuine and real as possible.

Even as town, I would not have analysed what RI and Ghost said becauae they were dead and could not respond to anything.
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1379 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:44 am

Likit :)

Should be limit*
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1380 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:47 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

Sure, but there were a lot of small things like that that added together. I can't really put a finger on it. It just didn't feel like you were trying to figure things out. And it wasn't just confirmation bias because I was looking hard at shadow too.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1381 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:49 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

And I didn't feel that way about replace in's post at all so I really do think I was feeling something legitimate.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1382 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:14 am

Post by chilledtea »

On day 2, you told me to make a case on you when there was shadow vs BBT going on in the background. I refused it, saying that it might take away attention from what is happening. I think you will understand what I meant. If I had proceeded with making a case on you at that point, I would be diverting attention on a town member while at least one of my scumspect could have gone scottfree. Sometimes, if heat is on someone you don't want it to be diverted to someone else, especially if the heat is on your scumspect.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1383 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:25 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

Yeah I just wanted to force you to rethink your read.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1384 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:28 am

Post by chilledtea »

Which I did. Later on. I was messing with everyone when I said you would be the next on the line if shadow is mafia. Like I said to ghost, I was trying to get a NK on myself and sometimes mafia try to take you out if you threaten anyone like that. They may feel they have a chance at creating wifom amongst the town. X threatened Y and got killed so Y is mafia. Except it is bs of course.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1385 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:29 am

Post by chilledtea »

So, what I am saying is don't worry if someone is scumreading you, and don't ask him to make a case on you unless he is actually persuing your lynch.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1386 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:31 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

Right well I know that now haha

Fair enough.
Shadow Dancer
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Shadow Dancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1387 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:34 am

Post by Shadow Dancer »

In post 1359, chilledtea wrote:If you were to disregard the result this game was fun and also taught some valuable lessons to the town.
Operation successful then. This is what newbie games are for
In post 1360, chilledtea wrote:Shadow, I would like to know why we don't ever no lynch on day 1. If day 1 almost always results in town lynches, isn't it better no lynch? You get ample information with night kills as well.
In post 1361, chilledtea wrote:Also, I am not saying that we should always no lynch on day 1. But if the town is finding it difficult to get a lynch target consensus, it often the case that they compromise on a lynch. A no lynch is never though of.

Scum lynches on D1 happen. And even if they are not more likely than mere statistical probability (or random lynches, if you prefer) it is still a kill with at least a finite probability to hit scum which is town controlled and which you do not want to give up.
Just think about what happens if you imply this logic to every game day:
- It is statistically more likely to lynch town than scum.
- Therefore it is better for town to no-lynch (?!)
- Scum then night kills, which has 100% chance to hit town.
Result: All kills during the game hit town, scum is never caught.
You could make the argument that you are also protecting town PRs and giving them more time to gather game-breaking information.
But more time does not necessarily help them if they have less info to work with and a bigger bulk of living players to scan through.
And town should never rely solely on PRs to break the game for them. In the worst case you are actually a decent town player and you leave all responsibility to the moron with the vig shot. You don't want that.
Or what if the cop gets killed? Then you have nothing to work with.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1388 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:50 am

Post by chilledtea »

That analysis feels a bit stringent, like as if all games are the same. I think no lynches are not as bad as they are made out to be. I think that it is possible we end up reaching the mylo/lylo stages way too quickly because of the hunger to lynch and the overall town intelligence is very important to be considered before going for that approach. In situations where town is very good, a no lynch is not idle. But in some situations we can see it work.

Has it been ever tried on day 1 and experimented?
Mr Glidder
Mr Glidder
Goon
Mr Glidder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1389 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:10 am

Post by Mr Glidder »

We have stats about this. Small sample size, but town wins almost three times more often if it lynches a townie D1 compared to no-lynching D1 (that's how the math works right?). And lynching scum D1 means town wins like 85% of the time. So yeah. no-lynch D1 = a bad time

mafiaturtle claiming PR early on made things easy for me, because I knew he had to be the bulletproof, whereas everyone else had to wildly guess. I feel like I ended up overdoing the "don't be too town" thing though.
Good as gold. (i.e. totally useless until hammered into shape)
I'm an alt. Of who is the secret.
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1390 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:18 am

Post by MURDERCAT »

You didn't get mislynched or night killed so I think you played it well.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1391 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Post by Mina »

Goodbye.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”