[SETUP] Undertale Semi-Open

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #105 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:45 am

Post by Hectic »

In post 102, popsofctown wrote:If three town are spared and the daykill hit town, then day 4 (9-3-3-1):(3) so scum control the game thread 3:2, and day 4 is before the spared players get returned to the game. So that's why I put in the Purgatory trick that continues to ensure town controls the decision. (it is possible to let scum control the decision and let the spared players return and vengelynch them for doing that in a scummy way, but that's kind of Wild).
This actually seems really interesting. I would love to see scum theater a lynch onto town. Or one onto scum if someone was revealed as scum the prior day.

My one personal gripe is that I feel a lot of players would go for the white flag genocide route which seems relatively boring compared to the SPARE route, but might be more optimal EV-wise for town (question mark).

Maybe after New Home is reached for the genocide route:
  • If one or two mafia were lynched, the players must play a genocide version of Baton Pass amongst the last 5 players. Aka, 1 person is voted to be handed a rusty knife. That person is dead and flipped, and they pass the knife onto someone else to kill them who then passes the knife to someone else and so on, until everyone has been killed. Mafia wins if one of them is the last person standing with the rusty knife. Otherwise, town wins.
    -
  • If no mafia were lynched, mafia wins OR alternatively: the above scenario is played out with town winning if all town when given the rusty knife pick
    town
    over mafia when the option is presented. Aka, if a town is voted to be given the rusty knife which is the most likely scenario, they pick the town over the other 3 mafia for the win. If mafia is voted to be given the rusty knife, and they pick town, that town needs to pick the remaining town of the other 3 players to win.
I kinda just like the genocide flavour; I expect to be roasted balance-wise.
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #127 (isolation #1) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:26 am

Post by Hectic »

Looks fun flavour/mechwise. I'm struggling to understand why you ever go for 1-3 spares. I suppose you may switch into it from a 4 spare plan if the town is suddenly convinced they spared mafia earlier. You never intend to go for it from the start, right?
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #128 (isolation #2) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:39 am

Post by Hectic »

looks amazing and the most fun, but I don't understand the neutral route.
As I understand it currently:

Town's wincon is replaced with this point system, and mafia win by making 4 points impossible to achieve. Day fights and nightkills continue, but town can delay mafia gaining parity by resummoning players from the spare PT. If all 3 of the mafia are a mixture of amalgam/birds, then town autolose. Seems difficult for town to get 4 points unless I'm missing something.
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #130 (isolation #3) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Post by Hectic »

Ah, I get it now. Yeah, I didn't realise any spared players would return to thread on a neutral route. So, you go for 1 spare/3 fight if you don't get a goon or Chara, and aren't confident about getting one on day 4, so decide to go for a spare instead. The spare route looks the most fun to me still, but the genocide route with the option to transition into neutral on day 4 seems pretty strong with the investigations. I'm assuming you've added the day 5 clause to stop town from triple sparing and then fighting in 7p FiLo after the investigations without any risk. I like it.

For the Menagerie setup, the smalltown roles sound like fun, but neutral as you said is very undesirable. There's less versatility and you kinda lock yourself into a path based on what you do on day 1. If town's misfought thrice in a row, and they're pessimistic about their chances on day 4, then sparing to avoid scum getting parity with the genocide ability is an option I guess.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”