[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #5402 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Not sure if anyone has done anything like this before, but:

Banning Draft Mafia?

Concept:
The game starts in Night 0 and a pool of PRs is available. A randomly selected team captain from both teams takes turns banning/drafting from the pool. The thread should be open at this time for everyone to weigh in on the process as it happens (and recommend things to the town captain).

Setup:

10 Town (9 VT, 1 Captain)

3 Scum (2 Goons, 1 Captain)

The captain would also be an Innocent Child and could publicly mod-confirm himself as Team captain at any point in the game. The draft would result in 2 town PRs and 2 scum PRs getting picked as follows.

Public part of draft (all of these bans/picks would be posted publicly in thread N0 for everyone to comment on as they happen)
1. Scum ban 1
2. Town ban 2
3. Scum ban 1 and pick 1
4. Town pick 1

5. Town pick 1 more (privately)
6. Scum pick 1 more (privately, may be a duplicate from #5 since I want the last PRs picked to be secret - or possibly for balance only have 1 scum PR pick?)

PR Pool (10 total) (TENTATIVE):

Roleblocker
JailKeeper
Rolecop
Tracker
Watcher
Vigilante
/
Strongman

Doctor
/
Ninja

DoubleVoter (private, does not reflect in vote count)
JoaT {1x Track / 1x Watch / 1x
Vig
/
Strongman
}
JoaT {1x RoleBlock / 1x
Doc
/
Ninja
/ 1x BP}

End Result:

Innocent Child / 2 PRs / 7 VTs VS 1 goon / 2 PRs (Is this balanced? Would 1 mafia PR be more balanced? Or possibly let the town choose from a modifier for the public mafia PR during the private phase?

Questions:

1. Would this be interesting?
2. Would this be balanced?
3. Is this considered normal as far as open setups go?
4. What could make this better?

EDIT (Random Thoughts!):

1. The team captains would PM me their choices so they could remain hidden in the thread.
2. Scum team can divide their PRs as they choose. The 2 town PRs would be randomly distributed to the pool of 9 VTs.
Last edited by AngryPidgeon on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #5404 (isolation #1) » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Ya, trying to balance the game is the tricky part :P

I think the rolecop would get banned every time as its kinda op for either side.

I'd hope to a certain degree it could balance itself out with the banning/picking system although to keep it interesting the PRs would have to be relatively balanced in the pool. Not sure if 1 or 2 or 2(with 1 gimped) is the right number of mafia PRs for that.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #5408 (isolation #2) » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 5406, UberNinja wrote:What special power does the Mafia Captain have?

Why is the Captain randomly selected?

Valid point. I thought about this and in hindsight there doesn't need to be one. The scum team can just decide that all in the QT. In fact its a little confusing from the rolecop perspective to even have one on the scum side.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #5409 (isolation #3) » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 5407, Leafsnail wrote:but there might be some no-brainers in there which would undermine the setup. Like the town really needs to ban the Double Voter. The rolecop is also nearly strictly superior to watcher/tracker for the mafia as far as I can tell. Maybe it'd work if it told you whether someone had a role or not.

I like this too. The pool should be more or less independently balanced. I think like 1x Double voter (decide if you want to use it the night before) or your idea for the RC (just gets back PR or no) is more balanced.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #5411 (isolation #4) » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Hm. It might be possible to tweak that to more Town/Scum sides of one pick. Like Watcher/1xDV could be combined. That would perhaps need one less ban on each side to do that. Or a 9p game with 1 less role on each side.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #5413 (isolation #5) » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

GO BACK TO BEING V/LA!

<3

True. Given the nature of the setup, I think it would simply take a lot of play testing to balance the individual roles against each other. But I think it would theoretically be balanced for a single game (just possibly some roles would always be banned or 100% avoided). To make a long term hash of the game 'balanced', stats on the roles picked most frequently would be needed.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #7237 (isolation #6) » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

Happy Birthday Jingle ^^

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”