[OLD] Open Setup Discussion and Nominations

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3275 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

Mafiaplayer wrote:The next time the thread he swum to turns to day, he will be in that game with the role he chose.
He can change his role?!?!?
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Mafiaplayer
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3276 (ISO) » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Mafiaplayer »

(Oops, sorry. I meant with his role).
Anyone who would actually play mafia sucsk
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3277 (ISO) » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:59 am

Post by Max »

Seol wrote:
Max wrote:If the game is not over in two weeks both boats are destroyed and the Mod Wins
You're only saying that to make us blow each other up. You and your wacky social experiments - the Batman will stop you!
I am actually considering running this as a large theme, do you want to back-up?
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #3278 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:13 pm

Post by Adel »

Mr. and Ms. Smith
Mr. Smith (SK) (nk-immune)
Mrs. Smith (SK) (nk-immune)
1 Watcher
x townies

Daystart

x = number of townies necessary to balance setup. x = 6?

Mr. and Mrs. Smith are SKs, with the win condition "you win if you are the last player alive". If one ever targets the other, they get a qt thread to use for the rest of the period of night, and each following period of night, and their win conditions are changed to read "you win if either you or your spouse outlives the entire town"
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3279 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:53 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

so if the watcher ever sees a Smith target another it's game over.

Interesting mechanic.

nominate with 6 vanilla, though 7 may be more balanced
Mafiaplayer
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3280 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Mafiaplayer »

How about the following-
8 townies
1 cult leader
1 cult leader
If 1 cult leader recruits the other, than everyone who is culted loses and all the people who are still townies win.
If either of the cult leaders is lynched, then the other cult wins with the town.
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3281 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Post by Fiasco »

In setups with alignment change, always specify whether players should play to their current or their expected final win condition.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
Mafiaplayer
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Mafiaplayer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3282 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 pm

Post by Mafiaplayer »

In this game you should play for expected final.
Really, it's a war between cults and the townies are just caught up in the middle. Like Godzilla vs. King Kong.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #3283 (ISO) » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Post by Hoopla »

shaft.ed wrote:

Interesting mechanic.

The best SK strategy would be to try and find the other to improve your win %, but even then they will only ever target each other once, if ever - for the watcher to catch this sequence, the chances seem pretty low.

7 vanillas seems more balanced, with two kills per night. The SK's would never waste a kill to try and fool the town into thinking they're together when they aren't, so throwing in a pro-town protection role (instead of a 7th vanilla - I'm thinking a Weak Doc) would be a good way to balance it, as town now get deprived of knowing if they're playing against a team.

Either way I'd play this set-up.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #3284 (ISO) » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Post by Adel »

Fiasco wrote:In setups with alignment change, always specify whether players should play to their current or their expected final win condition.
???

expected final, always.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #3285 (ISO) » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Adel wrote:
Fiasco wrote:In setups with alignment change, always specify whether players should play to their current or their expected final win condition.
???

expected final, always.
Nah, they should play to whichever one they feel like. If they feel like playing the odds, let them.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #3286 (ISO) » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Hoopla wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:

Interesting mechanic.

The best SK strategy would be to try and find the other to improve your win %, but even then they will only ever target each other once, if ever - for the watcher to catch this sequence, the chances seem pretty low.

7 vanillas seems more balanced, with two kills per night. The SK's would never waste a kill to try and fool the town into thinking they're together when they aren't, so throwing in a pro-town protection role (instead of a 7th vanilla - I'm thinking a Weak Doc) would be a good way to balance it, as town now get deprived of knowing if they're playing against a team.

Either way I'd play this set-up.
Not a big fan of weak doc's up against single player scum since they can end a SK's game with a single "protection." Would prefer something like a bodyguard or tough townie (survives one NK attempt). Actually a townie that survives a single NK attempt would add some "have they joined forces" WIFOM to the mix.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3287 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:25 am

Post by iamausername »

Lord Gurgi wrote:
Adel wrote:
???

expected final, always.
Nah, they should play to whichever one they feel like. If they feel like playing the odds, let them.
That'd be expected final, with the expectation that their win condition won't change, no?
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #3288 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:07 am

Post by Lord Gurgi »

iamausername wrote:
Lord Gurgi wrote:
Adel wrote:
???

expected final, always.
That'd be expected final, with the expectation that their win condition won't change, no?
It's whatever they feel like, based upon the players, their own skill, their notoriety, and their ego.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #3289 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Post by Korts »

Bang Bang Boom Mafia

2 Mafia; group abilities: kill, roleblock, protect; may use two of three group abilities on any given night

2 Bombs (killer dies if they are NK'd; this is a passive ability and cannot be blocked)
2 Vengeful Townies (get a vengeful kill if they are lynched)
2 Vigilantes
3 Vanilla Townies

Night start
Last edited by Korts on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumchat never die
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #3290 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Post by Adel »

new definition for "swingy": similar to "Bang Bang Boom Mafia"
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #3291 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by Simenon »

Predestination Mafia

3 Mafia Goons
2 Ordered JOATs
7 Townies

Every night Ordered JOATs choose one player to investigate, one player to kill, one player to protect, and one player to roleblock. At the beginning of the game, the moderator randomly sets a list for the JOAT's night action (night one investigate night two kill etc.). On any given night, only the action on the list will go through; the rest will be blocked.
Last edited by Simenon on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #3292 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Post by Korts »

While in the shower, I had a more thorough think about Bang Bang Boom.

Both the Mafia Doctor and the RB can perform only one of the kill and their night actions while both are alive; if one of them dies, the other can perform both actions. Basically they have the choice of protecting vs. blocking while both of them are alive.

I also think maybe the Doctor should be able to self-protect in this setup.
scumchat never die
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #3293 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Post by Adel »

could you make the RB and Doc protect team abilities, and the scum team can only commit two actions per night (choice of NK, RB, or Doc) regardless of who is still alive? That would make it a little less swingy, and with the doc self protect, make the scum team a little bit more resilient. I think it would make for an interesting game where the scum team may choose NOT to commit nks on some nights.
chenhsi
chenhsi
Goon
chenhsi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3294 (ISO) » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Post by chenhsi »

Simenon wrote:
Predestination Mafia

3 Mafia Goons
2 Ordered JOATs
7 Townies

Every night Ordered JOATs choose one player to investigate, one player to kill, one player to protect, and one player to roleblock. At the beginning of the game, the moderator randomly sets a list for the JOAT's night action (night one investigate night two kill etc.). On any given night, only the action on the list will go through; the rest will be blocked.
If the JOAT roleblocked or protected, will he/she be told which action they did?
I lost the game.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #3295 (ISO) » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:36 am

Post by Korts »

Adel wrote:could you make the RB and Doc protect team abilities, and the scum team can only commit two actions per night (choice of NK, RB, or Doc) regardless of who is still alive? That would make it a little less swingy, and with the doc self protect, make the scum team a little bit more resilient. I think it would make for an interesting game where the scum team may choose NOT to commit nks on some nights.
This is a good idea, and consistent with the whole concept of the setup. Editing the setup.
scumchat never die
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #3296 (ISO) » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Post by Adel »

Korts wrote:
Bang Bang Boom Mafia

2 Mafia; group abilities: kill, roleblock, protect; may use two of three group abilities on any given night

1 Bomb (killer dies if they are NK'd; this is a passive ability and cannot be blocked)
2 Vengeful Townies (get a vengeful kill during the next night if they are lynched, this kill can be protected by the doctor, but can not be blocked)
2 Vigilantes
4 Vanilla Townies

Night start
Edited to what I think makes it balanced.

I want to allow the mafia to be able to protect any player against the vengeful kill. That would allow the scum to play WIFOM games with the directed vengeful kill.

I am a little worried about a day 1 massclaim + directed vengeful and vig kills breaking the setup.

what do you think?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #3297 (ISO) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 am

Post by Korts »

You have a point with the vengeful kill; but protecting themselves against a directed vengeful kill would defeat the whole purpose of the vengeful townies, since giving the scum protection against their kill takes the edge of town gained by the "double lynch". The vengeful townie is a double-edged role anyway, and can help scum just as much as hurt them.

Day 1 massclaim doesn't break the setup, IMO. One scum can fakeclaim bomb, while the other claims vengeful; the vigs likely wouldn't target claimed bombs, and taking out a vengeful townie also hurts town by taking a vengeful kill away, so they wouldn't target vengeful townies either, or else very reluctantly. Massclaim only helps scum very likely; it outs the powers that be, while, with the above tactic, gives vigs a 2/3 possibility of hitting town PRs. Even if both vigs shoot claimed vengeful townies, the fake bomb will definitely survive and the vigs will risk four town deaths in a night not counting a mafia NK if they both decide to shoot that night.

Short answer: no, I don't think massclaim ruins the game; it makes for a much more puzzle-like game, but scum still will have a fair chance.
scumchat never die
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3298 (ISO) » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Adel wrote:Mr. and Ms. Smith
Mr. Smith (SK) (nk-immune)
Mrs. Smith (SK) (nk-immune)
1 Watcher
x townies

Daystart

x = number of townies necessary to balance setup. x = 6?

Mr. and Mrs. Smith are SKs, with the win condition "you win if you are the last player alive". If one ever targets the other, they get a qt thread to use for the rest of the period of night, and each following period of night, and their win conditions are changed to read "you win if either you or your spouse outlives the entire town"
nominate, this is really school, i like the lack of confusing mechanics. Did i just say really school? Man, i am excited about going to college. >_> Really cool is what i meant.

I thought x had to be >= 7, but i'm a newb
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
BlakAdder
BlakAdder
Goon
BlakAdder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3299 (ISO) » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:47 am

Post by BlakAdder »

Second Mr. And Mrs. Smith
Game Record (W-L-T)