Hydra Discussion Thread

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Hydra Discussion Thread

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56 am

Post by Silverclaw »

So after
Barely Survivor
ended, I'd like to have a discussion on hydras in the space of LSGs.

My personal opinion: Good to have, by no means mandatory. I'll go into why later probably, but I want the thread to be up.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 am

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 3, Skelda wrote:I've never played with a hydra, but I'm curious to know if we think hydraing is an advantage or a disadvantage for the players in the game? It kind of seems like it's an advantage having someone you know you can trust to talk things over with and not getting as burnt out, but I could see there being some drawbacks as well. But most hydras do tend to have a more dominant hydra head, which can be a nice way for people with busy lives to still get to play, but I would also like to see more hydras which are truly equal partnerships.
If you want that, you should probably talk to MURDERCAT & June, because they were roughly equal partners.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (isolation #2) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:58 am

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 21, xRECKONERx wrote:Hydras are bad, do not allow them in Survivor, use twists like pairs/partners if you want to coach newbies on the game
Pair/partners and hydras are very different for one particular reason:

You don't have to play with your pair if you don't want to. As the person who did pair twists in Mass Effect, then did them
again
in Eon with the "YOU CAN AUTOMATICALLY WIN" clause, it was fairly common for people to jettison their partner without a second thought and not even try to fight for them. And this was making sure that once we hit the merge everyone was paired via constant reshuffling of unpartnered players

I honestly feel like forced pairs are a total failure because people don't want to be randomly tied to someone for the length of a game (reminder that people expect this to be a solo game!). Whereas with a hydra you know what you're getting into and agreed to do it.

Does this mean that hydras should be an every-game thing? Hell no, it's just simply not doable and is unfair to those that want to play but dislike hydras - as the person who fought to have them in this game, I wouldn't want that.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (isolation #3) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 22, Haschel Cedricson wrote:All of these games were either Advanced or Complex on the rating scale. In terms of which games should have them I would say that they should probably never be in a Vanilla game and used extremely sparingly in a Standard. If it IS a standard game then they should be limited in number and also expressly flagged out as such to the players.
Quick note to this - personal opinion here, but unless the hydras are a part of the mechanics of the game, it should be made aware
regardless of the game type.
I'd even take this a step further, and
force hydras to sign or otherwise make it VERY AWARE WHICH HEAD IS CURRENTLY ACTIVE.
I didn't force this in Barely Survivor, each hydra came to that decision on their own and I think it's very important for clarity reasons.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (isolation #4) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:17 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 27, D3f3nd3r wrote:
In post 25, Silverclaw wrote:
In post 22, Haschel Cedricson wrote:All of these games were either Advanced or Complex on the rating scale. In terms of which games should have them I would say that they should probably never be in a Vanilla game and used extremely sparingly in a Standard. If it IS a standard game then they should be limited in number and also expressly flagged out as such to the players.
Quick note to this - personal opinion here, but unless the hydras are a part of the mechanics of the game, it should be made aware
force hydras to sign or otherwise make it VERY AWARE WHICH HEAD IS CURRENTLY ACTIVE.
I didn't force this in Barely Survivor, each hydra came to that decision on their own and I think it's very important for clarity reasons.
I mean I do also feel like there should've been different accounts for each of the two heads of the hydras.
Then you just create a groupchat with both of them and congratulations it's basically the same thing? Feels pointless and clogging.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (isolation #5) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:32 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 31, D3f3nd3r wrote:
In post 30, Silverclaw wrote:
In post 27, D3f3nd3r wrote:
In post 25, Silverclaw wrote:
I mean I do also feel like there should've been different accounts for each of the two heads of the hydras.
Then you just create a groupchat with both of them and congratulations it's basically the same thing? Feels pointless and clogging.
And what happens when you have different non-strategy-related conversations with both heads? Feels confusing and clogging.
That's on the hydras for making conversations difficult, which will just get them voted out faster if they can't stay on one topic.

This however could seriously have repercussions when a player decides to only talk to one hydra and not the other, or does a total stupid and forgets that the two accounts are one hydra [With how often you see people failing basic tasks like PM'ing the right player, this will happen a lot].
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (isolation #6) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:34 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

FTR, the real problem point for hydras isn't the PM'ing thing, its the burnout thing, because hydras allow one player to take a break from the game for a day to recharge, which is a potential problem moreso than people not liking what is basically groupchats.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (isolation #7) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:33 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

Small correction to that. The veteran hydra came first, but the hydra that was two new players made it into the merge without issue and could have made it a decent distance in if they didn't both spontaneously agree to make a weird move during the ranger vote, and the hydra that was a new player and a veteran was quite well-liked but was just slow in acquiring allies. All three hydras did totally fine, and the mixed hydra doing the worst was an oddity because it was pablito and a real-life friend of his.

I'd be totally fine to add an inclination that veterans cannot hydra with other veterans because I think that's the real problem clause here that may be problematic [in addition to the burnout thing, which I do think should be addressed above and beyond everything else]. I don't think a veteran/newbie or double newbie hydra could cause nearly as many issues.
Last edited by Silverclaw on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (isolation #8) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:39 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 62, D3f3nd3r wrote:
In post 60, Silverclaw wrote:Small correction to that. The veteran hydra came first, but the hydra that was two new players made it into the merge without issue and could have made it a decent distance in if they didn't both spontaneously agree to make a weird move during the ranger vote, and the hydra that was a new player and a veteran was quite well-liked but was just slow in acquiring allies. All three hydras did totally fine, and the mixed hydra doing the worst was an oddity because it was pablito and a real-life friend of his.

I'd be totally fine to add an inclination that veterans cannot hydra with other veterans because I think that's the real problem clause here that may be problematic [in addition to the burnout thing, which I do think should be addressed above and beyond everything else]. I don't think a veteran/newbie or double newbie hydra could cause nearly as many issues.
I do also want to see what happens to the newbie heads of those two hydras next time (if) they play! And I'm curious how they'd have done alone in a game. Hard to really analyze without the comparison, considering we get a very wild range of newbies from me not PMing anybody my first game to people like Maclow/Snakes going and winning their first time out.
I got to play with June during the marathon survivor if it helps, and she's actually really good on her own too. This was a situation where literally no one in the game but me would have possibly known who she was, and June was a total standout player. I'm confident in her ability.

I can't speak for MURDERCAT as a solo player, but I get the feeling he'd do totally fine on his own because neither head was really dragging the other down. They played off their strengths and weaknesses really well.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (isolation #9) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 am

Post by Silverclaw »

+1 for the Twist Discussion Thread! I'd love to talk more about Redemption and why I did what I did with it here.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (isolation #10) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

I could see it being an every so often thing, but putting it on a schedule is probably a bad idea given the number of games that run a year normally.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (isolation #11) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:52 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

Why are we talking about ID'ing players as if this is a thing that should be weighing into how people play? Because it really shouldn't be.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (isolation #12) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:44 pm