War in Heaven III (CONSIGNED TO THE VOID)

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

War in Heaven III (CONSIGNED TO THE VOID)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Reviewers: SpyreX, Nikanor

• Pessum Ire
  • DonJosh, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Twenty-Ninth Æon.
  • animorpherv1, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Twenty-Ninth Æon.
  • Drench, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Thirty-Fourth Æon.
  • DTMaster, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Thirty-Fourth Æon.
  • gandalf5166, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Thirty-Seventh Æon.
  • Otolia, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Thirty-Seventh Æon.
  • Lunitawolf, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Thirty-Eighth Æon.
  • ConSpiracy, Neutral Survivor
    (and Thirtieth-Æon reinforcement)
    abandoned the War during the Thirty-Eighth Æon.
  • zoraster, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Thirty-Eighth Æon.
  • sorgster, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Fortieth Æon.
  • Velazanth, Neutral Survivor
    , abandoned the War during the Forty-Second Æon.
  1. Sensatorum

2. Andrius (Thirty-Seventh-Æon reinforcement)
  3. Fate (Thirty-Ninth-Æon reinforcement)
  4. Firestarter
  5. Lady Lambdadelta (Thirty-Seventh-Æon reinforcement)
  6. Magua
    (Thirtieth-Æon reinforcement)

7. Maxous
  8. Nobody Special
  9. PeregrineV
  10. scooby
  11. Seraphim
  12. Slandaar
  13. springlullaby
  14. StefanB
    (Thirty-Ninth-Æon reinforcement)

15. The Fonz
    (Thirty-Eighth-Æon reinforcement)

16. Zajnet

• In Memoriarum
  • kdowns,
    Loyal Cherub
    , was struck down during the Twenty-Eighth Æon.
  • Albert B. Rampage,
    Loyal Arel
    , was struck down during the Thirtieth Æon.
  • Kublai Khan,
    Loyal Ophan
    , was killed by rage during the Thirty-First Æon.
  • kanyeknows best,
    Loyal Arel
    , was killed during the Thirty-Second Æon.
  • inHimshallibe,
    Loyal Ophan
    , was killed by rage during the Thirty-Third Æon.
  • kunkstar7,
    Loyal Cherub
    , was struck down during the Thirty-Fourth Æon.
  • Amrun,
    Fallen Cherub
    , was cast out during the Thirty-Fifth Æon.
  • Papa Zito,
    Loyal Seraph
    , was struck down during the Thirty-Sixth Æon.
  • AGar,
    Loyal Cherub
    , was destroyed during the Thirty-Seventh Æon.
  • Tenchi,
    Loyal Archangel
    was murdered during the Thirty-Eighth Æon.
  • Nuwen,
    Loyal Archangel
    was cast out during the Thirty-Ninth Æon.
  • Battousai,
    Fallen Ophan
    , was cast out during the Fortieth Æon.
  • WeyounsLastClone,
    Loyal Cherub
    , was thrown out during the Forty-First Æon.
  • Zdenek,
    Loyal Seraph
    , was struck down during the Forty-Second Æon.

The Twenty-Eighth to Forty-Third Æon have been declared a bad job of work. An HTML-based archive will be available soon, and a similar game may be done again eventually. Thank you ALL for playing, regardless. -Mod
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

This is a Semi-Open setup, with Split Roles/Motives. What follows are some example role PMs of loyal (Town) angels:

Loyal Seraph
Role:
You are one of the
Loyal Seraphim
, the strongest class of angel in Heaven.

Win Condition:
You stand on the side of God and against all threats to Heaven's peace. You win if all such infidels are cast out, and at least one Loyal Angel survives.

Powers:
  • You begin the game with 13 HP.
  • You may either Hurt or Heal players in thread, as can all other roles. The tags
    HURT:
    and
    HEAL:
    may be used in place of
    VOTE:
    for this game, or you can just bold them as usual. Hurting or Healing may only be done every 24 hours.
  • You may also use
    HURT WITH A BLADE:
    or simply mentioned your flaming sword/blade when you attack, and get 2 damage instead of just one. Using this action will cause you to recharge after 36 hours instead of the usual 24.

Loyal Arel
Role:
You are one of the
Loyal Erelim
, one of the stronger classes of angels in Heaven.

Win Condition:
You stand on the side of God and against all threats to Heaven's peace. You win if all such infidels are cast out, and at least one Loyal Angel survives.

Powers:
  • You begin the game with 13 HP.
  • You may either Hurt or Heal players in thread, as can all other roles. The tags
    HURT:
    and
    HEAL:
    may be used in place of
    VOTE:
    for this game, or you can just bold them as usual.

Loyal Cherub
Role:
You are a
Loyal Cherubim
, one of the angels of Heaven.

Win Condition:

Powers:
  • You begin the game with 10 HP.
    HURT:
    and
    HEAL:
    may be used in place of
    VOTE:

Loyal Ophan
Role:
You are a
Loyal Ophanim
, one of the all-seeing angels of Heaven.

Win Condition:

Powers:
  • You begin the game with 7 HP.
    HURT:
    and
    HEAL:
    may be used in place of
    VOTE:
  • You may use your multitude of eyes to
    observe
    another player carefully, looking for secret actions. PM me their name and I will start the observation 12 hours after your last Hurt/Heal (immediately, if possible). If you observe something interesting, I will tell you as soon as possible, but you must rest your eyes for 12 hours before observing again. Hurting or Healing will stop your observations immediately; you may also stop observing with another PM, if you're just tired of not having seen anything interesting.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:46 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Rules
  1. Ethical:

2. Do not discuss the game
    by any means
    outside of this thread unless your role PM explicitly says that you may.
  3. Don't quote any PMs/private communication directly in thread. Likewise, once you are cast out,
    stop talking
    ; you can say your piece once the game is over. I will set up a Green Room for dead players
  4. Don't edit/delete your posts, even if you have the privileges to do so. It violates the integrity of the game and can screw up the game thread. I will take care of duplicate posts or formatting errors upon request.
  5. Treat this game as a commitment, to me and your fellow players. If you're going to be gone more than 72 hours on a non-weekend, let us know.
    Doing so without warning will move to the Insensate column
    , where you do not count towards your Win Condition. There are no replacements, but the other angels may still Hurt you even if you are Insensate.
  6. Lying is a sin
    ; pretending to break a rule
    (quoting a fake role PM, for example)
    will result in the same punishment as actually breaking that rule. If you have to think about whether or not you're breaking the rules when you're about to do something,
    ask
    !
  7. Robust cryptography and steganography are not allowed in my games.
  8. I reserve the command/color-combination for my own use; any other colored text is fine for you to use.
  9. Remember, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be interactive. Do your part.

1. Mechanical:

2. The Mod is still God (literally, in this case). There are some unusual features in this game; most are public, but not all. Feel free to PM me or ask in thread if something is confusing; I reserve the right to ignore the question or give misleading answers if it would compromise the game.
  3. There are no 'lynches' or 'voting' in this game for thematic reasons. Instead, you may either HURT: player or HEAL: player, once every 24 hours, to move them closer/further from being 'cast out' of the game. These actions must be in bold, and must use exactly that verb (there are also tags now, HURT: /HEAL: /HURT WITH A BLADE: ). Feel free to describe your attack or defence in more detail, though!
    Cool points if you can use a dead language...

4. I will not provide damage tallies more often than every 12 hours, but will try to provide them every 16-24 hours if changes in health have occurred.
  5. Once someone reaches 0 HP, they will be cast out of Heaven (no Healing will help at that point) as soon as I return to the thread to pass Judgment; after that, they may no longer interact with the game thread or players in any way not specified by their role PM. Regardless of how quickly I return to the thread, actions will be processed sequentially, so you may Heal/Hurt others during Twilight, for example.
  6. Healing may not take someone more than 1 point above their original total HP. You may not Heal (or Hurt) yourself.
  7. Damage levels are preserved even after someone is cast out! A sample tally will look like:
    Your Lord Mod wrote:
    First Damage Tally of the First Æon:

Michael has taken 3 damage.
    Gabriel has taken 2 damage.
    Azrael and Belial have both taken 1 damage each.

Metatron, Lucifer, and Vassago are all undamaged.

8. This is a Nightless game, and should need no deadlines. If you anger your God through excessive sloth, I will very...
    upset
    (this includes someone deliberately standing aside from the conflict). I reserve the right to decide what to do about sloth at the time, not that I fear it will happen in this game...
  9. Any questions about player damage tallies (like vote counts), overall game mechanics, or prods/replacements for players, mention it in thread. You may preface them with
    God:
    or
    Mod:
    to catch my eye, if that helps.

Spoiler: FAQ
FAQ
Why didn't you count my vote?
This game uses the Hurt/Heal mechanic, not voting like a regular Mafia game. Each player has a certain amount of Hit Points, and may Hurt players they find scummy/Heal players they find helpful once every 24 hours. If you reach 0 HP, you're dead. You can be raised exactly 1 HP above your 'maximum' HP, to avoid wasting simultaneous shots.

As of WIH3, you can use

Code: Select all

[hurt]Player[/hurt]
and

[heal]Player[/heal]
instead of just bolding them, if you like. This makes it easier to see what is going on in a fast-paced game.

My role says it has a sword that does extra damage. How does that work with the new HURT: tag?
Two ways: You can either tag the 'blade' or 'sword' keyword on after the HURT: tag, or use the

[hurt2]Player[/hurt2]
tag which will clearly show that it is a double shot. Note that doubleshots take 36 hours to recharge, not 24.

I noticed not all of the roles in WiH2 were spelled out in the pregame posts. Are there secret roles in WiH3?
Mod works in mysterious ways. In other words, "maybe".

How does Rage work in WiH3?
If you get a role with access to Rage Points, all will become clear. But from the perspective of someone who will be hit by it, it will look largely the same: sudden damage you don't know the exact source of.

Can I use my <secret ability redacted> and still Hurt someone in the same 24 hour period?
Your role PM will spell this out, but in general, no. Special abilities will usually delay your ability to Hurt/Heal.

I'm going to be gone over the weekend; can I presubmit two Hurts for Saturday and Sunday on ScummerX?
No; you must be present and post in thread to use Hurt/Heal.

I'm going to be gone over the weekend; can I presubmit by secret ability for Sunday afternoon on ScummerX, after my recharge timer expires?
Your role PM should be clear about this, but in general, yes (within a reasonable time frame).

Can I ask for an immediate Vote Count to confirm my ability/lack of ability?
I will do one Damage Count every 12 hours if the game is moving fast, every 24 hours otherwise.

Do replacements still lose HP when they enter the game?
NO replacements in WiH3!
Instead, there will be 30 initial players and 'reinforcements' at pre-determined points in the game. Without voting, having fewer active players doesn't stop the game from progressing. Anyone who stops posting for 72 hours will be Insensate; able to be targeted as usual, but not counted against the game's active player count. After a long enough timespan of inactivity (probably weeks, but depends on the game pace), I will purge those players from the game and convert them to posthumous Neutral Survivors. If you warn me you'll be inactive for an extended period, I will keep that in mind, but it doesn't stop the other players from Hurting or Raging you to death.

WHAT? No replacements? I hate this game... let me out! Wait... can I Hurt myself?
Nope, you can neither Hurt nor Heal yourself.

If a person is cast out of Heaven, is their win condition revealed?

Correct.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

There is no need for confirmations...

The Twenty-Eighth Æon has begun!
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In the immortal words of Arthur... "Not in the face!"
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Wow. It's been a while since I've played this.

Um.

What I remember.

We're not willy-nilly hurting people, first off.
Second, we should have a couple of people on standby who can heal people who get damaged by the scumz.
Third, scum accrue points to damage people over time, so it's important we make decisions quickly.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Post by Seraphim »

This one just won't be the same without ROFLcopter.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 5, Seraphim wrote:Third, scum accrue points to damage people over time, so it's important we make decisions quickly.

Should we give ourselves a self-imposed 7 day deadline?

(or whatever?)

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Something like that. I really don't know how fast scum accrue points(it's been different each time) or how quickly they're going to spend them or if that's even how it's going to work but...

We should act rationally and with haste.

7 days is fine by me.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Post by Otolia »

Good night and good luck guys.
kanyeknowsbest
kanyeknowsbest
mafi ascum
kanyeknowsbest
mafi ascum
mafi ascum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Post by kanyeknowsbest »

i only briefly glanced at the post game of wih2 and skimmed wih1, but i definitely agree with the idea of keeping hurting orderly and keeping everyone who we do not have a consensus on at full health. no longer than a 7 day deadline is good.
add me on snapchat and vine and twitter and instagram : ]
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Post by Drench »

Deadlines are alright, but I think we should definitely make sure we prioritize discussion above meeting it.* there's a chance dem scum could be the dastardly non-point-scoring type after all

also i hope you guys like puns, because i got a few, and they're pretty heavenly to behold

*and just to clarify by deadlines we mean the-period-of-time-we-have-to-decide-who-to-collectively-hurt-to-death, right?
join your union
Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Post by Slandaar »

I don't really see how we are going to get anywhere unless we hurt some people, what is there to talk about?

HURT: Otolia

There you go, you may discuss my attack on the guy being all friendly wishing us good luck.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Hello.

HEAL: Seraphim

An auspicious beginning, if I do say so myself.

On another note, I agree with Drench. Solid, rational discussion should take priority above meeting an arbitrary (and self-imposed, I might add) deadline.

If we're taking opinions, I think that 7 days
might
be a bit too quick; I reserve the right to change that opinion after seeing activity over the next 24 hours or so. My primary concern is that we set a deadline; activity is not what it should be, then
certain players
insist we hold to that deadline even though we may have accomplished little, if anything.

P-Edit: Slandaar, I agree with you that Otolia's first post was less than stellar. I think his initial post should have had a bit more than that.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:31 am

Post by Zdenek »

I looked briefly at WiH1, and it looked to me like town was crippled by the attempt to organize and hurt/heal in an orderly fashion. Personally, I think it's an okay idea in principle, but let's not go overboard trying to get people in line with the plan. Getting 30 people to come to an agreement on that will be impossible, and it won't take nearly that many to kill someone over a couple of days. I also don't think that there's much of a benefit to a moratorium on hurting people between deadlines, it will make it harder to tell where people's greatest suspicions are, and we might end up stupidly policy killing someone because of it.

Plus, let's not do this:
Kanye wrote:
keeping everyone who we do not have a consensus on at full health.

It would be nice to be able to tell who's healing who and why, and not have them be able to just write it off as something they are doing because of a policy.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

I don't think we can avoid human nature. People are going to hurt/heal according to their whims and those actions will help tell us about them so we shouldn't restrict them.

But beyond the seven day deadline, I think we can agree to not hurt anyone past 7HP (the weakest town role pm) without having absolute just cause.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:47 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 15, Kublai Khan wrote:I don't think we can avoid human nature. People are going to hurt/heal according to their whims and those actions will help tell us about them so we shouldn't restrict them.

But beyond the seven day deadline, I think we can agree to not hurt anyone past 7HP (the weakest town role pm) without having absolute just cause.

I don't know. I think this just gives people a pass to do what they want for LOL reasons, and that's not helpful.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:52 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 16, zoraster wrote:I don't know. I think this just gives people a pass to do what they want for LOL reasons, and that's not helpful.

Have you played with Albert B. Rampage before? :roll:

It's not about giving people a pass. It's making a rough plan around what's already likely to happen. Some amount of hurting/healing will happen regardless of how strictly we promise to deal with our well-laid plans. I say we let it happen and scum-hunt from it.

Of course, I think the main reason everyone should avoid hurting/healing unnecessarily is because everyone should be playing like they have the Loyal Orphan Role PM.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:27 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

In post 13, Nobody Special wrote:Hello.

HEAL: Seraphim

An auspicious beginning, if I do say so myself.

On another note, I agree with Drench. Solid, rational discussion should take priority above meeting an arbitrary (and self-imposed, I might add) deadline.

If we're taking opinions, I think that 7 days
might
be a bit too quick; I reserve the right to change that opinion after seeing activity over the next 24 hours or so. My primary concern is that we set a deadline; activity is not what it should be, then
certain players
insist we hold to that deadline even though we may have accomplished little, if anything.

P-Edit: Slandaar, I agree with you that Otolia's first post was less than stellar. I think his initial post should have had a bit more than that.

Suspicious Activity 1
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

And good morning.

Just a note about NS, agreeing to a deadline but not quite agreeing to a deadline. We'll have to see the length of time in-between apparent rage actions before anything else can be deduced.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

:

Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 am

Post by Otolia »

Come on guys, I know I have a reputation for having disastrous D1, but that was just a intro post. I hoped Edward R. Murrow's sentence was good enough for you. I am studying for my exams right now and I have little time to play. I'll be back on Friday with more content. Until then, it will be fluffy fluff. Please don't kill me ><'
Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:06 am

Post by Slandaar »

I think his concerns are pro town and checking activity before taking a solid stance makes sense to me.

re deadlines etc; I dont like all these self imposed rules, you do realise all this mutual consent stuff is just normal mafia? like, we can just be democratic and make 'votes' then after a deadline we have all voted on we take our shots till the person with most votes is dead. But why would you want to do that? takes half the fun out IMO.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:10 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 19, inHimshallibe wrote:And good morning.

Just a note about NS, agreeing to a deadline but not quite agreeing to a deadline.
We'll have to see the length of time in-between apparent rage actions before anything else can be deduced.

What do you mean?
Lunitawolf
Lunitawolf
Goon
Lunitawolf
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:18 am

Post by Lunitawolf »

A 7 day deadline may be too long. I think one of the other war games had only 3 days between rage points accumulating. I also think it will be impossible to herd 30 people into agreement.
But, I think if we're able some sort of polling should take place every few days, even if not tied to hurting per se, to let us get a better overview of who people think are the scummiest and get people's opinions on the record
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:18 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

In post 22, zoraster wrote:
In post 19, inHimshallibe wrote:And good morning.

Just a note about NS, agreeing to a deadline but not quite agreeing to a deadline.
We'll have to see the length of time in-between apparent rage actions before anything else can be deduced.

What do you mean?

My assumption is that we'll be able to tell when scum are using actions. If we see them using actions in a span of days > 7 at a time, NS' comment becomes more interesting.
Show

:

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”