Shorter games?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
YamiChan
YamiChan
Goon
YamiChan
Goon
Goon

Shorter games?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Post by YamiChan »

Does anyone on this site run or want to see some shorter games? On my old forum, a typical round of Mafia lasted about a week. Day Phases only lasted about a day, with whoever had the most votes being lynched. Night Phases were much shorter-about an hour. One thing I can't get used to on this site, is how much each game drags on. It's shocking that phases can last up to three weeks. This is extreme, and it messes up the flow to me. So, I want to see if anyone runs or wants to see some shorter games. I can't be the only one here who doesn't like all the wasted time of the normal games. I'd love to be able to run a round of my Mafia here to see how it goes.@_@
You don't stand a ghost of a chance.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Post by Haylen »

The last 3 speed games were run by Incognito, Myself and Patrick in that order. Day's were 3 days long, nights were 1 day (2 if it was weekend) for mine and Incogs, I think. Patricks was more battery powered. They don't happen often because there's little demand for them. We also have marathon games which last about 2 hrs total but that thread isn't always open because it put pressure on the server.

Town doesn't HAVE to use the whole time they're given. And we generally need that time to analyse in depth.
Last edited by Haylen on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Post by Empking »

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p3165599

You will never find a game run on here with hour long nights. If a mod wanted to do that they'd go one millimetre further and make it Instant Night.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Post by Vi »

If phases last up to three weeks, you're either playing Newbie games or under bad mods. I think some cool people agreed that 10-day Days were best overall.

With that said, watch for the Marathon Day thread to open. Occasionally swift speed games will run, but you won't see games where mods force the deadline to be less than a week long very often at all.

Alternatively, find other players who like short games. Two of my games ended after seven game Days in about three weeks.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 pm

Post by Haylen »

Also 1 hr days don't suit our style of play.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
YamiChan
YamiChan
Goon
YamiChan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Post by YamiChan »

I'm not sure why you gave me that link. It doesn't really seem involved with this topic.O_o

I've just heard that phases can last that long. Either way, the deadlines are just so extreme.

I'm not looking for speed games, but some kind of balance. Day Phases are NOT an hour long, but a day long. Night Phases are much shorter because of the limited activity during that phase.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Post by Empking »

YamiChan wrote:I'm not sure why you gave me that link. It doesn't really seem involved with this topic.O_o

Its the closes Mafiascum will ever come to your speed games.

Yami: What is the point of your board having Nights at all?
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Post by Faraday »

Setael is running a speed game soon, I'm pretty sure.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
YamiChan
YamiChan
Goon
YamiChan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post by YamiChan »

Well, you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of different things on my forum in comparison to yours. Generally, the only action that can be done at Night is the Mafia kill the Godfather sends in. Some actions for the next day can be sent in earlier, and some members of the Mafia can choose to use their powers at night if they want. The Mafia communicating via PM is not restricted to night only. They are allowed to talk whenever they want. So, there's no need for Night Phases to last that long.

I don't really want a speed game. Like I said, I want a balance. Why doesn't someone try this out? I mean, there's the normal games, and then a section for the speed games that are hardly ever run. Why doesn't someone try running a faster game? We need more experimenting. I won't be able to run my game for a long time probably, since mith has still not gotten back to me.
kiwieagle
kiwieagle
Mafia Scum
kiwieagle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Post by kiwieagle »

YamiChan wrote:Well, you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of different things on my forum in comparison to yours. Generally, the only action that can be done at Night is the Mafia kill the Godfather sends in. Some actions for the next day can be sent in earlier, and some members of the Mafia can choose to use their powers at night if they want. The Mafia communicating via PM is not restricted to night only. They are allowed to talk whenever they want. So, there's no need for Night Phases to last that long.

I don't really want a speed game. Like I said, I want a balance. Why doesn't someone try this out? I mean, there's the normal games, and then a section for the speed games that are hardly ever run. Why doesn't someone try running a faster game? We need more experimenting. I won't be able to run my game for a long time probably, since mith has still not gotten back to me.

....or you can wait 3 months and make one yourself? (probably more though)
Not never dead.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Post by Haylen »

Nights used to be 1 week long and Day's 2 months. I think the site has moved on from that now, thank goodness. But 2 weeks is pretty standard because of our style of play, if you read any game on site you'll see that compared to other places the level of most of our players is really high and there's a reason for that. People don't do it because they want to generate outstanding play from their players to make it as enjoyable as possible, and randomly lynching people cause there's not enough time to talk wont get any good wins or loses.

It'll be roughly 5/6 months before Yami can run a game at the rate of what I can remember the queues doing.

YamiChan
YamiChan
Goon
YamiChan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Post by YamiChan »

Yes, but I want to PLAY one.O_o Not just run one.

And people keep talking about level of play. I can assure you, on my old forum, the level of play was VERY high. Shorter phases adds to it, and unlike here, all people can talk privately, which allows them form alliances, plot, etc. There's more than enough time to make a good enough lynch, with private talk, you can exchange info.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Vi wrote:If phases last up to three weeks, you're either playing Newbie games or under bad mods.

Vi, I think that anywhere from a two week to a three week deadline is still pretty much standard in most normal and theme games here. It's not really fair to say that that's "bad mods", either; a lot of very good mods use deadlines three weeks long. Looking at the 10 most recently completed large theme games, automatic deadline listed in the mods rules is:

10 days
3 weeks
3 weeks
18 days with more then 7 people alive, 10 days after there are less then 7 people alive
2 weeks
2 weeks
4 weeks for early days, 3 weeks for later days
None listed in mod's rules
10 days
3 weeks

That being said, there are occasionally speed games, of one type or another, but our definition of "speed game" is generally anything where each day lasts a week or less.

Yami, if you want to see the kind of thing that we consider to be speed games around here, here is a good example by one of our more skilled mods:

https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17464 18 player game, 96 hour deadlines, town has to reach a majority in that time or there is a no lynch.

As a general piece of advice, I would recommend steering clear of speed games until you have a better idea of the conventions and common metas of this site. This isn't an insult to you or to your skill level, so please don't take it as one, it's just a fact that every site has different ways of playing, different conventions, different traps for new players to fall into, and in a speed game, there's no time to explain that to a player; minor missteps will get you lynched before you even know what's going on.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
AlmasterGM
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
AlmasterGM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Post by AlmasterGM »

What is this other site that you come from? I'd be interested in reading some of the games from it.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Post by Empking »

animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Can I ask you to please not create a thread every so often telling us that we're wrong? It's getting annoying.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
YamiChan
YamiChan
Goon
YamiChan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Post by YamiChan »

I left the site due to corruption in the staff. I first left three years ago, due to a user called HeavyDDR. He was finally banned, so I decided to give the site a second chance. But not much had changed. One thing that is a turn off on any forum, is when the mods favor certain users and let them get away with anything. I really do hope someone will consider running a version of Mafia more like on that site, though. I think it would be an interesting experience.

ani, how many times do you have to be told to stop? You have posted in EVERY thread I've made, trying to twist my words into an attack on this site. Stop it. I'm sick of people like you forcing me to lock my threads with your constant harassment. We're having a conversation here.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I'm not harassing you.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

YamiChan
YamiChan
Goon
YamiChan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Post by YamiChan »

STOP.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

If you can tell me HOW I'm harassing you. Give me an example.

YamiChan
YamiChan
Goon
YamiChan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by YamiChan »

What you are doing right now. I have asked you several times to stop. In other threads, even mods have asked you to stop. Just stop. We are having a nice discussion here, and I don't want it destroyed because you want a laugh.
Morthas
Morthas
Goon
Morthas
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Post by Morthas »

YamiChan wrote:all people can talk privately, which allows them form alliances, plot, etc.

A game with private talk sounds intriguing to me, no idea if it has been done but if someone decides to experiment with it i would definitely want to join in.
Capitalism, ho
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Post by CSL »

You still haven't told him how he was harassing you...I think?

You won't find games with Day phases being less than 2 weeks (14 days) as the deadline in my games.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
YamiChan
YamiChan
Goon
YamiChan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Post by YamiChan »

He knows how, and he has been asked to stop doing this by many people.

Glad to have your support, Morthas.^^ It makes for more depth. You can lie about your role, form alliances and make great plots. It's a great feeling to pull something amazing that no one ever expected.XD
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

YamiChan wrote:even mods have asked you to stop

Nope. Hasn't happened.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”