Why do mods do this?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Why do mods do this?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue May 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I don't understand why in a closed setup a mod would publicly out that the game is singleball or that there are no third parties. Could someone explain why this is a fairly common practice these days?

(protip:it shouldn't)
Last edited by Nero Cain on Thu May 24, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Tue May 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

designing a game not to be MB or SKless has nothing to do with mods taking away a scumteams strength and telling them that there's no SK or no 2nd team.

I'd also consider "rolemadness" more of a cancer than MB or a SK game.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (isolation #2) » Tue May 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

A wincon
SHOULDN'T
say anything about the setup. I mean, you can fairly easily tell if a game is MB or singleball based on the # of players. SK is another matter.

True, a scum teams power to fake SK gambit or push paranoia that "this guy is SK!" doesn't offer much equity but its a tool they could use and a mod telling them that "hey there's no third party!" takes that all away. It also confirms that a vig is a vig. Mods are meant to be impartial yet giving town setup information seems to be the opposite of that.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (isolation #3) » Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

If all your going to do is deflect just stop posting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's slightly alarming to me that this is a common practice these days and I wanted to say something. No one really seems interested in this and you're obviously going to defend it here but I think it's a silly practice and I don't really think it should be a thing.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (isolation #4) » Tue May 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I mean, If the mod wants to throw up an innocent child vigilante then fine I guess but if that's the case it should still work like an IC me thinks.

@Alisae
-I can have opinions without being super active mod wise. I have modded 2 newbies and just got done modding a mini normal with Espenoge. Expect a theme in a bit, I'm just really lazy though and that's why I hadn't really gotten around to it.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (isolation #5) » Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

sure y not? If the mods agenda is that s/he wants
THAT
role to be mod confirmed town then make them an IC. Yes, someone shooting and the mod confirming that there are no third party roles effectively makes him an IC but why is there such a need to give setup information out? Why is there a need to do something slightly different? What about a JOAT with a killing action? Doesn't it confirm other killing roles like a CPR doc or a PGO or any new made up killing combination? And wouldn't that make mods possible role list shrink?

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (isolation #6) » Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 14, zMuffinMan wrote:You say you don't like role madness; would you like it if you signed up for a setup you weren't aware was role madness?
No. Role madness is just swingy and unbalanced (IMO) I'll play them b/c mafia is mafia. I just don't consider them as highly as a normal or a balanced theme. (balance is subjective blah blah blah)
In post 14, zMuffinMan wrote:I think a lesser reason is that town not knowing what they should be looking for means they're just playing blind guessing games.
????

That's kinda the whole point. Its towns job to figure out what they are dealing with.

In post 14, zMuffinMan wrote:I can't think of a good reason why scum need or deserve to have that advantage either.
So why take that advantage away? Like I get that there has been some movent towards making towns win % better (at least in normals) and taking away that slight advantage from scum could help with that and if that's the evolution that you guys want on this site then fine I guess.

I can kinda get where xyzzy is coming from but that's pretty situational. I get (but reject) the "its letting players know what they are dealing with in a game." and it's maybe better for long-term health but I'm just a dinosaur and slow to adapt. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (isolation #7) » Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

great jb gif

Return to “Mafia Discussion”