Open Queue is dying Help

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #40 (isolation #0) » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:50 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 35, TemporalLich wrote:We need an Open Setup Committee to review setups for the approved setup rotation. The approved setups seem kinda stale tbh. Themier setups should be encouraged to be put in the Open Queue, and some themier setups need to be approved open setups.

Since there are some very boring open setups (and it pretty much is playing Mafia on easy mode), listmods need to pull opens faster than normal if they don't reach a threshold.

The Open Setup Committee should also encourage new moderators to run easy to run but interesting setups.

As for getting players into the Open queue, we need new setups and themier setups to be approved open setups.

And we need more semi-opens.
Tbone is aware of and actively encouraging people to address the need for new open setups.

Mods who have experience are allowed to put any open they want into the open queue, regardless of whether it’s balanced or favorably reviewed. (Please don’t clog queues with shitty setups people don’t want to play)

The two issues with the queue as I see it are linked: one is that the mod queue is ridiculously long, meaning to an experienced mod it’s just faster to go through the theme or micro queues. The other is that getting enough plays of a setup to decided it’s sound for the open rotation takes a lot of time, which is largely why we had the last two marathon weekends.

Personally I think a good answer to the queue length is to encourage newbie mods to look to the prepared normals as a real option. Skipping the tired setups we have in the open queue should make the queue faster. We could also force a 1 experienced one non experienced split in the open queue, but I think that’s likely to slow things down. As far as getting new setups improved, if anyone knows of setups that have been run several times or should be to add to the rotation: speak up. I’ve been meaning to collect the setup data on the marathons for a while, but I think that both marked for death and 8-ball are promising enough that they should be added to the rotation.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #41 (isolation #1) » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 38, MaryJoLisa wrote:What's wrong with themeier Opens? Currently, themed games must be restricted to one or two queues (can't remember if it's coney island and theme park or just theme park), and those games seem to never contain open or semi-open setups.
Nothing, really.

The sole criteria that makes an open an open is that all possible role PMs are public knowledge. Similarly to Newbies and Normals, you can have a themed open very easily. You just have to make all of the flavor elements public, such as in VCs.

As far as why we don't have hidden flavor opens: Flavor gaming is a real balance concern that is already hard to deal with in a lot of well designed theme games.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #49 (isolation #2) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 46, Something_Smart wrote:My final idea is related to that. We want mods to be running setups that players want to play in, so maybe there should be more player involvement in what setups get run. Could be as extreme as an open game where the players vote for what setup to play after the game fills, or it could just be a monthly poll of what setups players want to play, to be posted for anyone considering modding an open.
Long, long ago, in the before times when I was first learning to mod I crowdsourced my setup options for my first Open game to the sitecat.

I suggest doing this, because honestly what setup you run doesn't matter unless you're super hyped for that setup. If you're super hyped for that setup, hunt down people and bribe/blackmail them into playing your game.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #65 (isolation #3) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:37 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 62, chennisden wrote:tbh the solution is just to host some sort of big open event

sort of like team mafia
Events do nothing for the queues.
In post 63, FakeGod wrote:If you guys really want the Open Queue to work, you guys should just have players sign up for setups, and once the setup is full, assign the game to a mod.
This actually seems like a viable option, tbh.

Have a list of open games that are approved, and then when one fills drop it into the next mod's hands.

New/Experimental setups could take signups on a case by case basis or else run in micro/theme queues.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #69 (isolation #4) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 67, FakeGod wrote:Actually, I'm of the opinion that Open Queue should be removed.

I can run any of the Open Setup games in any of the other queue when I want, so...

Can someone tell me what purpose this queue serves on this site?
Funnel for new mods and people who like bad games. :shifty:
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #72 (isolation #5) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Post by Jingle »

Speaking of which, I think we should change the rules so that a new mod can run any mini/micro game so long as a mod in good standing (eligible to run larges, hasn't modflaked ever) signs off on their setup and agrees to co/backup in order to ensure the game is run to completion.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”