The Newbie Queue Setup

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:31 am

Post by Micc »

I think moving Day 1 to have a 7 day deadline might be beneficial. Newbies have a hard time manufacturing discussion without a flip or night actions so Day 1 tends to drag along. It might be better for engagement to jump into the “action” earlier.

I think addressing queue time is important, but I would not support downsizing the playerlist. Mechanical solves are already common, and I think they just become more common once more town power is added to compensate for the smaller playerlist.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:40 am

Post by Micc »

Is the question of how to bring new players to this site part of the scope of this thread?
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (isolation #2) » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:30 am

Post by Micc »

In post 8, PenguinPower wrote:Sure. Ultimately, this is about attraction and retention. I’m fine to hear all ideas, though the focus is on the setup.
I don't have any ideas, but if other people do I think its good they share them. I don't watch game fill rates as closely as I used to, but the drop off is concerning.
Not Known 15 wrote:Semi-open setups are only a very small part of the games played here. The majority is closed. The rest is mostly open.
Many of the tactics used in newbie games don't work in closed games, we are not giving them an accurate picture of the site. This can't be good for long-term player retention.
I don't think this is a problem that needs solving. It's actually good that newbies have open information about the setup because it helps focus their discussion and scum hunting on days 2 and 3. They would really struggle for direction without it. That's bad for retention in the sense that it's not fun for newbies to play town games and whiff on all their scum reads. Whereas if they maneuver to a mechanical solve and feel that success of finding scum, that's something that I think brings people back.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”