Starting at night or with day?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

As a general rule, should a game start at night or with day?

Day
46%
Night
22%
There should be no presumption either way
32%

Total votes: 68

mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #34 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:01 am

Post by mikehart »

I am not a fan of day starts at all when I run games. I always start a game at N1. This allows the uninformed majority to actually get SOME information to begin discussions. That and since I generally run themed/weird games it allows the players to at least begin to speculate upon the set-up and I thoroughly enjoy watching the little minions be wrong. :twisted:
V/LA every weekend for awhile.

I officially owe Maruchan.
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #36 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:04 am

Post by mikehart »

Seol wrote:
mikehart wrote:I am not a fan of day starts at all when I run games. I always start a game at N1. This allows the uninformed majority to actually get SOME information to begin discussions. That and since I generally run themed/weird games it allows the players to at least begin to speculate upon the set-up and I thoroughly enjoy watching the little minions be wrong. :twisted:
Why do you need information? The whole point about being town is you're
un
informed. A town that can't function on the day discussions alone is setting themselves up to lose.
because I for one absolutely refuse to believe that the game can be won just by the way people post. not everyone acts the same way as scum and town. I for one, even while scum still try to catch scum. but thats me and my opinion.

mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #39 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 am

Post by mikehart »

Seol wrote:
mikehart wrote:
Seol wrote:
mikehart wrote:I am not a fan of day starts at all when I run games. I always start a game at N1. This allows the uninformed majority to actually get SOME information to begin discussions. That and since I generally run themed/weird games it allows the players to at least begin to speculate upon the set-up and I thoroughly enjoy watching the little minions be wrong. :twisted:
Why do you need information? The whole point about being town is you're
un
informed. A town that can't function on the day discussions alone is setting themselves up to lose.
because I for one absolutely refuse to believe that the game can be won just by the way people post. not everyone acts the same way as scum and town. I for one, even while scum still try to catch scum. but thats me and my opinion.
So you think Mountainous games are effectively completely random and/or meaningless?

How do you catch scum when you don't have a role?

If you're justifying night 1s on the information gained, what information coming out day 1 is more useful to the town than the damage done by having a power role revealed? Cop results don't affect day 1 play 95% of the time. Speculating on the meaning of the nightkills is almost universally recognised as a scum tell and hence doesn't lead to much discussion.
i should clarify. i don't think skill can be the sole factor in a win. for instance in a mountainous game luck would have an equal part of the outcome as skill. as for how i catch scum i do use posting analysis to an extent but because i realize how different people are on a base level i don't rely so heavily upon it. for instance I know that my bandwagon jumping may seem scummy to many but often im not scum. its just the way i am. i tend to take games as precisely that. a game. i have fun with the arguments my jumping creates.

and again as for the information gained with a night 1, to me speculating game structure is not a scum tell. there are no universal scum tells. i tend to analyze every game structure im in to see if i can figure it out even when im not scum and i will post my thoughts. and also my arguments were based mostly on themed/weird mechanics games

mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #40 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:59 am

Post by mikehart »

Primate wrote:Also, if you're disregarding the way people behave because of the reasons you say, then how do the cops/other information roles know who to target?

Dethy's ok, but if all mafia was like that, it really wouldn't be any fun.
gut feelings, randomness, and a small amount of post analysis. as an information role any choice you make will yield meaningful information. a confirmed innocent is almost but not quite as useful as a nailed scum

Return to “Mafia Discussion”