Roleblocker (the title)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Roleblocker (the title)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:35 am

Post by Cavane »

Now, having only played Mafia in vanilla and never online, I was unfamiliar with this role before I arrived here yesterday. However, it seems to me to be rather a poor choice of name for the role. Here's my reasoning:

1: Most every other role has a name related to what that role's power is, Doctor saves people, Cop investigates, etc. The name is not an exact description of what they do in-game. They aren't called 'Killblocker' and 'Scumfinder'.

2: The wiki page says the role may exist either pro-town or pro-mafia. This suggests two different roles, really. Though the power itself is the same, the playstyle and strategy would differ vastly between the two. For example, Mafia and Vigilante have the same conceptual power, killing people at night, but I think everyone would agree they are totally different roles.

All that said, I personally think the Roleblocker ought to be fleshed out a bit, given its own name, and possible separated into two roles. Perhaps a Mafia Roleblocker could be called Racketeer, using scare tactics to keep certain townies from doing their jobs. A pro-town Roleblocker could be Nosy Neighbor, Night Watchman, etc. Somebody whose extra alertness keeps the Mafia at bay that night.

Note: I'm not really trying to change anything here. I'm a newbie, and I know it, and I'm far more interested in the discussion than in starting a revoloution. So, any thoughts?
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:25 am

Post by Cavane »

As I said, (or tried to) I'm not expectant that anything will change, it's obviously too established. Merely wanted to see what more seasoned players thoughts were on the issue. So, discuss amongst yourselves...

Anyway, I still think pro-town, pro-mafia roles should be seperate, if nothing else to create a bit of distinction. On the other hand, with alignment being unsure, it makes pro-mafia name-claims a bit easier.
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:11 pm

Post by Cavane »

That snideness on your part wasn't neccessary. If I'd just called the thread 'Roleblocker' the assumption would be that I was asking about the role itself. All you accomplished was making your post difficult to read. At any rate, drugging seems like a good 'method'. I'm not sure what you'd call that role, though.
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (isolation #3) » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:31 am

Post by Cavane »

Fritzler wrote:the snideness was neither snide nor not neccessary [sic]. It was classy and justified. Do you mean drugging is a good method for raping or roleblocker (the title) flavor?
I (personal pronoun) meant (intended) roleblocker (the title) flavor (not taste).
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (isolation #4) » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:18 am

Post by Cavane »

I did, indeed, make it lame, and am quite satisfied, thank you.

Back to the subject, I think the Barmaid was pretty well-concieved, Stoofer. Good job there.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”