When you are incredibly easy to read...

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:08 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 24, TheIrishPope wrote:be like me
Define "being like you."
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:12 am

Post by FakeGod »

In post 25, Zachrulez wrote:
Define "being like you."
Become a celebrated scumhunter like TIP.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 23, Zachrulez wrote:What I mean to say is that it would require a lot more effort and energy than my actual town game does, because I'm not playing town, I'm pretending to. It means I have to identify all my town indicators and emulate them. There's a lot more to that than just being town.
That's what you need, though. Dropping your Town game to match your scum game is NOT the answer.
Retired as of October 2014.
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 am

Post by Burning_Earth »

In post 27, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 23, Zachrulez wrote:What I mean to say is that it would require a lot more effort and energy than my actual town game does, because I'm not playing town, I'm pretending to. It means I have to identify all my town indicators and emulate them. There's a lot more to that than just being town.
That's what you need, though. Dropping your Town game to match your scum game is NOT the answer.
You will jus be scum read as town.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Which is what happened much earlier in my career on MS. Incidentally, it was possible for me to play scum then too...
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Post by Oversoul »

I honestly don't see the big problem here since the end result is the same? Either way it makes Zach's alignment more inscrutable and this difficult to play against?

If this is on general principle of "everyone should try their hardest"/spirit of the game well... Maybe you have a point
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Well being transparent as town does have it's benefits when I draw town. It's just the other 25% or so of the time that I don't...
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Post by Oversoul »

Well that wouldn't be true would it? Theoretically, you would be "transparent town" as scum, meaning your transparency would no longer make it beneficial for your town game. Am I approaching this from the wrong way?
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

Is the word really transparency when the truth is you're just bad at lying and everyone knows it?
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 33, Shadoweh wrote:Is the word really transparency when the truth is you're just bad at lying and everyone knows it?
giggle giggle teehee
To be clear: quack
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Post by N »

In post 6, Tierce wrote:Don't you dare nerf your Town game. That's the lazy way out, and playing against your wincon is against site rules at that.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
TheIrishPope
TheIrishPope
Jack of All Trades
TheIrishPope
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Post by TheIrishPope »

I have never ever played against my win condition.
What I'm saying is to never filter your thoughts as either alignment. The main goal is not to be hard to read; it's to be read as Town when Town and read as Town when scum. By changing thought processes depending on your alignment you mess up the balance or whatever. "Be like me" means say anything and everything you want at the time.
just the tIP
"TiP has a silky, foreign voice"
- Varsoon
Come play Skype Mafia with us!
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 36, TheIrishPope wrote:it's to be read as Town when Town
This should not be your main goal as town
TheIrishPope
TheIrishPope
Jack of All Trades
TheIrishPope
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Post by TheIrishPope »

Weeeeeeeeeell
If you aren't read as town by others how will you convince them your opinion is the right one?
just the tIP
- Varsoon
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Post by Metal Sonic »

damn me i was doing it the wrong way the whole time
oopsies! haha!

I've updated my wiki! Check it out!
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 31, Zachrulez wrote:Well being transparent as town does have it's benefits when I draw town. It's just the other 25% or so of the time that I don't...
there's no value in being transparent as town. you just end up being nightkilled earlier and not making it deep in games where you have more control over the fate of the town.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:01 am

Post by mykonian »

I've probably said this before, but I believe playing like this is wrong. You don't want to play like you are town. Beyond the effort bit and knowing your meta perfectly, when you play as town you play to find scum. If that gets you nightkilled or lynched, you aren't that disappointed, as long as you found scum. As scum, you want to avoid being lynched. It's literally your only job. Don't try to match your town meta (you'll never manage anyway), try to be the town they want you to be. You want to be better than when you are town. You want to play like that super town that never gets lynched.

The focus shouldn't be inwards (what would I do when I'm town), but outwards (what do the players in this game want to see from me). That might be easier, but it's at least a lot more fun.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:24 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 36, TheIrishPope wrote:The main goal is not to be hard to read
But my playstyle says it is. I don't know why people have trouble, but they always seem to do so. I therefore assume it's how I should play as me being understandable doesn't happen anyway.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
TheIrishPope
TheIrishPope
Jack of All Trades
TheIrishPope
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:35 am

Post by TheIrishPope »

In post 40, Hoopla wrote:
In post 31, Zachrulez wrote:Well being transparent as town does have it's benefits when I draw town. It's just the other 25% or so of the time that I don't...
there's no value in being transparent as town. you just end up being nightkilled earlier and not making it deep in games where you have more control over the fate of the town.
Happy birthday
In post 42, Cheery Dog wrote:
In post 36, TheIrishPope wrote:The main goal is not to be hard to read
But my playstyle says it is. I don't know why people have trouble, but they always seem to do so. I therefore assume it's how I should play as me being understandable doesn't happen anyway.
Post more and enunciate your ideas better, and tie in and follow up other people's opinions to gain trust and such like
just the tIP
- Varsoon
Lost Butterfly
Lost Butterfly
Mafia Scum
Lost Butterfly
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 am

Post by Lost Butterfly »

In post 32, Oversoul wrote:Well that wouldn't be true would it? Theoretically, you would be "transparent town" as scum, meaning your transparency would no longer make it beneficial for your town game. Am I approaching this from the wrong way?
Nah, you'll still get read as town most of the time/early game at least. Even if your scum game is good, people will assume they can read you most of the time.
Mafiascum Fantasy Camp 2 - Day 7 ongoing
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:53 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 41, mykonian wrote:
I've probably said this before, but I believe playing like this is wrong. You don't want to play like you are town. Beyond the effort bit and knowing your meta perfectly, when you play as town you play to find scum. If that gets you nightkilled or lynched, you aren't that disappointed, as long as you found scum. As scum, you want to avoid being lynched. It's literally your only job. Don't try to match your town meta (you'll never manage anyway), try to be the town they want you to be. You want to be better than when you are town. You want to play like that super town that never gets lynched.

The focus shouldn't be inwards (what would I do when I'm town), but outwards (what do the players in this game want to see from me). That might be easier, but it's at least a lot more fun.
Generally my goal as scum is to hurt the town while looking town doing it. The might struggle is the whole looking town part. I basically have too many people that are so familiar playing with me I almost literally can't get away with anything that deviates from my town game.

It's probably necessary for me to play with alts, but I just don't want to actually do that... argh.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 am

Post by GreyICE »

To be fair, I'd rather have a player who can't scumhunt and is good at signalling town than a player who can't scumhunt and no one on earth can tell their alignment.

But players who just post unfiltered stream of consciousness and can't scumhunt don't look town when they do that. The stream of consciousness is worthless as either alignment, and they know it.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Josh_B
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Josh_B
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:36 am

Post by Josh_B »

I read your post and I translated it using google boasting recognizer. It came out like this.

I'm so awesome at mafia but no one believes me that I can single handedly win as both town and scum. My confidence level is through the roof and people keep lynching me for it. Why are people lynching me when I'm so awesome?

Answer from Ask: Stop being so sure of yourself. It's a sign that you already know who is town and who is on your team which is something that Mafia can do.

If you're town, encourage others to figure out the scum and sheep them. If your scum, encourage others to figure out the scum and sheep them. Everyone knows that sheeping works both ways.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:30 am

Post by Oversoul »

Still not sure how not playing as town as you normally would is playing against your win condition. It isn't like you aren't playing towards it all, just not as much, which happens to every single player at some point through out the game (I.e lurking, not motivated).
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 48, Oversoul wrote:Still not sure how not playing as town as you normally would is playing against your win condition. It isn't like you aren't playing towards it all, just not as much, which happens to every single player at some point through out the game (I.e lurking, not motivated).
I think it's because some people take "play as I would as town" to mean do
exactly
as you would. Like, if you see a buddy do something scummy that no one else has picked up on, it's unnecessary to jump on them and derail a mislynch, even if you would have pointed it out if you were actually town.

Also people discourage this to discourage the not looking at Role PM thing (which I think actually is against the rules), but I don't think that's really a problem?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”