Self-Voting: Why, barring setup, you should never do it

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #80 (isolation #0) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:01 am

Post by kuribo »

when people stop reading me as town for self-voting, i'll stop doing it
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #83 (isolation #1) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:23 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 82, Thor665 wrote:So do both of you do it as both alignments?

dunno bout him, but I do

As town: when someone pisses me off sufficiently that one of us has to die in order for the game to move forward, I call for my own lynch and self-vote
As scum: When someone calls me scum sufficiently that one of us has to die in order for me to win the game, I call for my own lynch and self-vote

It works in the first situation because people see suicidal anger as town.
It works in the second situation because people have seen me exhibit suicidal anger as town.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #85 (isolation #2) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:36 am

Post by kuribo »

You can't really say that only bad players self vote: although I don't consider myself a "good" player, I've found self voting works for me (and it's a good thing I'm retired because it will never work again after this)

If it works and isn't blatant cheating, then it's hardly a bad play. If it annoys you, the solution is to get people to stop reading folks as town for doing it.

And it's not necessarily playing against your wincon: if someones presence in a game is toxic to the wincon, you have every right to lynch them and remove that poison from the game. Even if that poison is a town read. Even if that poison is you.

The right lynch is the lynch that benefits town most by removing distractions, by being on obvious scum, any number of reasons. I've long advocated that sometimes you'll need to lynch someone you think is town. And sometimes you are the problem and should probably die.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #87 (isolation #3) » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Post by kuribo »

Yes, sometimes. I said as much in that very post. Hence the justification in self voting if you believe your death would help further your wincon.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #89 (isolation #4) » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:19 am

Post by kuribo »

I suppose I should point out that I've only been mislynched twice in 7 years on this site, so maybe that advice doesn't apply to everyone else.

What does apply is that self-voting still furthers my wincon 99% of the time by convincing people I'm town.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #95 (isolation #5) » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:54 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 90, quadz08 wrote:kuribo is kind of a weird special case here because I think he would legitimately consider his own playstyle toxic and worth policy lynching in some situations

Yah that's kinda one of the reasons I retired

It's toxic to the game state, to the other players' enjoyment, and to myself. It's very draining. It lessens the site as a community, myself as a player, and all of us as human beings.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #97 (isolation #6) » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:07 am

Post by kuribo »

I should also mention that I wouldn't actually ever leave my vote on myself long enough to get lynched as any alignment

There's a difference between lynching yourself and pushing wagon on yourself

They want me strung so bad, they'll have to finish the job themselves

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #118 (isolation #7) » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:42 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 116, Blair wrote:I would posit that the reason this ever "works" for scum (along with a whole host of other 100% anti-town behaviors) is because it tends to be read as "too obviously anti-town to actually be scum."

wrong, it works because scum is generally seen as being in control of the situation, while emotional and suicidal outbursts are seen as frustrated town. this doesn't just apply to self-voting, it's part of a larger number of actions that people consider to be the result of irrational emotional response

this is why we have "scum flail" behavior and "town flail" behavior---- both sides flail but the way they do it and the motivation behind both is different

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #119 (isolation #8) » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:43 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 117, TierShift wrote:
In post 115, Thor665 wrote:Well, so you agree it's often bad - which means my view is often right - so we're really just disagreeing on a very specific set of instances then, yes? Is it mostly the "Day will bog down so self vote to speed it up" thing? Because I think you could speed up your own lynch without a self vote, personally. If it's something else then could you clarify?

Thor, I believe no one is arguing that you should self-vote barring a very specific set of instances. People are just arguing that at very specific times, self-voting can be a good thing.

I think it fails to point out that there's a HUGE difference both toward intent and result between the two actions of "self-voting" and "self-lynching"

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #154 (isolation #9) » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:53 am

Post by kuribo »

I'd still counter that "good players don't rage self-vote" is a fallacy when it's demonstrable that it works on a consistent basis.

Say what you want about "people shouldn't townread folks for that," but if they do and it works, then why wouldn't you?

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #225 (isolation #10) » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 201, Thor665 wrote:
In post 197, Bicephalous Bob wrote:
In post 167, Psyche wrote:you gotta play to win, not to make a point, right?

Just out of curiosity.

When a player says 'I don't care anymore, lynch me!' and self votes.
There are two possibilities.

1. They are scum working an angle - optimal pro town move is to lynch them.
2. They are twon who already has some suspicion on them, has no way to justify or defend it, and would prefer drama to scumhunting - optimal pro town move is to lynch them.

What am I missing here?
Like, say I claim Miller and after a mass claim there are no claimed Cops. Regardless of my alignment I'm a pro-town lynch.
Just because town does something that makes killing them pro-town does not preclude it from being pro-town and it does make the goal to avoid town making pro-scum moves because *that* is playing to win.

you act as if only scum can FAKE suicidal frustration

town can, too

Return to “Mafia Discussion”