Mod Effort?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #26 (isolation #0) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:27 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

I like flavor in games, certanly, especally in theme games. Even a basic mafia game should have some flavor, but in theme games it's absolutly key.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:53 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Thestatusquo wrote:This thread has touched on something that I think IS important to note. The ammount of flavour/mod effort, should NEVER change the functionality of the role.
Well...I don't know about the flavor never changing the functionality of the role. I mean, a lot of great theme games involve some unique roles where the role abilities directly follow from the flavor of the role. When you can make a role that has great flavor directly tied into a great role, it's awesome. For example, in viewtopic.php?t=2436&start=0, Astuto-Umore, everyone was in either the town of Astuto or the town of Umore, except for Lordo, the bridge troll that was a SK-like role, that could see whenever anyone in one town crossed the bridge to target anyone in the other town, and could kill and eat any one of those bridge crossing people. When a role combines flavor and functionality like that, it really captures the imagination and adds to the fun of the game.

The role funtionality is the most important thing, though. Every role should be a fun role to play that intereacts in logical and predictable ways with other roles, no matter how complex or theme based the game is.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #41 (isolation #2) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

NabakovNabakov wrote:I don't see what all the fuss about having to mimic writing styles while claiming is about. Posting role PM's isn't allowed anyway.
Yeah, but paraphrasing flavor is generally allowed. You've got to make sure that the scum have enough info to invent convincly paraphrased flavor; either detailed fake claims, or a detailed claim in the mod rule post, or both. Sometimes it's not entierly necessary, like it's not that hard to invent detailed flavor if you know you're playing, say, Star Wars mafia and know Luke Skywalker is a safe claim, but you don't want a scum to get lynched because he didn't know the mod sent all of the townies long, funny, heavily flavored role PM's.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #47 (isolation #3) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

NabakovNabakov wrote:Word counting townie PM's?

Damn
[/u] if that ain't tricky. That goes above and beyond standard exploitation of flavor-based loopholes.
If anyone said how many words were in their townie PM, I'd modkill them on the spot.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #55 (isolation #4) » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:22 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Um, it's not a de-rail, MOS, people are still talking about if roles should have extensive flavor to them or not.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”