How to respond to presure when you're scum read

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (isolation #0) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 27, mastina wrote:Strategically know how much to post and when to post: avoid overly long walls, and spamposting for pages. These are things that don't take much time to implant in others. Just by not being annoying, you're already in the top 25% of the playerlist as far as heart goes. (Because 75% of players are annoying.)
This is very true. I think the three big things that will make you immediately a better and much harder to lynch player are: Be likable, be logical, be active. If someone makes sense, is fun to be around, and is able to stay reasonably active they are a pain to get mislynched (or correctly lynched as scum).

For getting out of a jam, knowing who you are playing against is a big one. Some players respond well to showing emotion (faking being genuine is easier than most people think - note screaming at people isn't the right emotion to show), while other people will respond to you setting up a counter wagon and showing why you aren't the best lynch as opposed to why you are town. Know your audience and play to them.
Ranmaru wrote:Also change your avatar to something cute.
Always have to wonder about that. I know the only ones I negatively react to are ones that show movement, those I tend to downgrade a bit out the gate.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (isolation #1) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 42, Ankamius wrote:As someone who is nearly impossible to lynch as town by play, I'd have to say a big reason for it is that even if I'm completely disinterested in the game and haven't done much of anything, I respond to pressure by stepping up and challenging anyone who reacts to my wagon in a way I don't think is town and then brute forcing them to address it. Oftentimes I don't even acknowledge the fact that I'm being wagoned outside of this.
Know your audience again. This will get the more methodical/logic bot players to gravitate to your lynch, but it might deflect the hyperactive/impulsive player.
mastina wrote:
In post 29, LlamaFluff wrote:I think the three big things that will make you immediately a better and much harder to lynch player are: Be likable, be logical, be active.
Caveat: be
strategically
active. Posting too much will prevent you from giving the presentation you want. In short, it interferes with both the likable and logical aspects if taken too far. A general guideline would be posting once or twice a day on average, with a few posts each time. Less than that can be acceptable, but brings you dangerously close to lurker territory (not to mention prod range); more than that, and...your message just gets lost.
Posting 20 times a day isn't being active really beyond the technical definition. If you are posting more than ten times a day you probably are having most of the game ignore what you are saying because its all noise. Two or three content filled posts a game is plenty. More than that and you are shooting yourself in the foot unless the entire game is able to keep that pace up.
Co-host of The USL Show
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (isolation #2) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 50, Accountant wrote:I said it's a good way to get townread, not a good reason to townread someone
Greatly varies depending who you play against. Especially if its light content posts I read the players who post 20 times a day as anti-town VI at best and am not as willing to believe anything they say because the cant organize anything or at least make the effort to be pro-town in their thought process

Again its the game bot player vs hyperactive player. What is viewed as a good thing to one is something that will get you lynched by the other
Co-host of The USL Show
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (isolation #3) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 89, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In post 86, Infinity 324 wrote:I agree with the second part, but I think alignment does have some impact on activity.
You can continue to think whatever you want.

Unless you want to show a broad statistical analysis of posts per game Day played by players showing a statistically signficant higher occurance rate of players posting more as Town than as scum. Then your thoughts might move into something that is actually meaningful.
This. Players will tend to post about what they normally do regardless of alignment with a few specific players as exceptions, I remember Nikanor from a long time ago would lurk post D1 as scum enough for it to be a tell, but for the most part if a player posts 3-5 times a day as town, they will post 3-5 times a day as scum. Unless you can prove there is correlation for the average (not newbie) player, I don't buy activity as being a tell at all.

Now in some
very specific
situations scum may be more prone to holding off posting because it suits them more to have another player say something first, but I don't for a second believe that "lurking" is a tell unless you can prove its done intentionally for an advantage.
Co-host of The USL Show

Return to “Mafia Discussion”