The Road to Rome

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I have not been an IC but I have (not so) silently judged many an IC while an SE. So take my post with a grain of salt.

I feel my main peeve with ICs is when they try to push their own playstyle on to newbies, especially if it isn't universally seen well. So for example readlists, FoS, Meta (Especially bad in newbies when there is distracting meta discussions with IC and SE slots), asking for walls. All of those I consider to be harmful to town for various reasons or in various situations and not explaining the 'when to use certain things' or warning that some people don't like these approaches is poor form on the part of the IC.

I feel like your list is good through.

If I'm honest I think that another IC should be added to Newbie games in one of two roles. A) As a foil to bad teaching in a 'double marking' type scenario (I tend to try to do this when I SE). Or B) Do what I have seen on other sites for games (Playdip does this for example) where you have a consulting experienced player who is not in the game that acts as a focus to players. Just from a conceptual standpoint. Or even if they gave an explaination of concepts and provided links to the wiki.

The wiki could use some work as most of the theory stuff is outdated, but there are still some gems in there, which are hard for Newbies to find on their own. Like there's a big difference between a mastin guide and an umbrage guide, but a newbie isn't going to know that.
Don't @ me.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 am

Post by Espeonage »

In post 10, Ectomancer wrote:
In post 8, Ellibereth wrote:I mean I think the target user of the site is people who generally prefer longer deadlines so if that's the the factor thats making people leave then it's probably fine.
I was reading my rules from my wiki for when I modded a couple of games and my position on deadlines was not to have them. I only bring them out to use as a stick on a lazy non-posting town. Otherwise let the game run without an arbitrary restriction such as the number of seconds ticked past on a clock. To me, there are phases to the game that occur naturally and as players we all come to a consensus on when we path along from one and into the next. Days gone by or number of pages filled will never measure those phases as accurately as a good mod with their pulse on the game.

That is my philosophy on deadlines as a mechanic in general. I would much prefer to see them applied as above rather than ever as any sort of default already in place.
This really shows your join date. But I do agree. I don't think it is a good idea for Newbie games though.
Don't @ me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”