Mafia Mod rating system

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Neo
Neo
Goat
Neo
Goat
Goat

Mafia Mod rating system

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:37 pm

Post by Neo »

I've modded few games here or anywhere else, and have made some pretty stupid mistakes, among these, lynching the wrong person :oops: Of course, there are always little things that I don't know about.

What I think would help is if we could set up a mod rating system. Having yourself be rated would of course, be optional, but I think it'd help one to see how their games and modding decisions have held up in the past, and changes they should make. It just seems that there isn't enough information being offered up at the end of games.

What do you think?
"Bah. I knew sleeping with DP would turn out to be a bad idea..." --quercitron, Old West Mafia.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:11 am

Post by mith »

Something on-site, by email, what?
Neo
Neo
Goat
Neo
Goat
Goat

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:31 pm

Post by Neo »

I'm still workin on a general, basic outline, so if anybody else has ideas, pitch them in here.

I have several where I know what I want, but the problem lies in making it a coherent thought for others:P
"Bah. I knew sleeping with DP would turn out to be a bad idea..." --quercitron, Old West Mafia.
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:40 pm

Post by Antrax »

The main problem with this is that it's hard to find an objective criteria to judge mods by. Players have different ideas about such concepts as "fun", "balance" and "fairness", so the moderator would be hard-pressed trying to please them all. What exactly are you going to ask the players?
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Samadhi
Samadhi
Townie
Samadhi
Townie
Townie
Location: What is A place where something is or could be located, Alex

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:54 pm

Post by Samadhi »

How about:
Did you have fun?
Was the game balanced?
Was the game fair? :wink:
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:31 am

Post by Antrax »

And that wasn't at all covered in my post. Thanks Samadhi! :D
Antrax
"No matter it's right and wrong. It's not your turn to criticise me!" - Shing Kwun, "The Evil Cult"
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:55 am

Post by Macros »

i was trying to do somethgin similar for the GL, based on players e-mail someone, and then hy was going to build us soetihng to make the whole thing easier to update and stuff like that. it never really got much further than me and ant talking on aim about it :)
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:01 pm

Post by Corsato »

It's impossible to get an objective opinion if you ask someone for his/her opinion. They will always tell you from their point of view.

Maybe we should have a sort jury thate exists of a few experienced mods. You can still have players comment on the game, but I guess if you let a few experience mods review these comments, you get a more objective outcome.

There are of course general things that can be reviewed, such as availability. Did the mod respond to questions asked, did he respond to emails, did he keep the game moving etc.
The more subjective question as "Did you have fun" seems really important though, because people play mafia to have fun (at least I do).

Conclusion: I believe that a rating system could be very useful for newbie modders (such as me :)).
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:54 am

Post by Macros »

i like the idea of the "jury", but stick an experienced player or two inthere as well. eg, Ant is a very experienced player, but i dont thinks hes modded any yet (althoghu i know he has several on the way between here and the GL.
but this raises the problem of, do the appointed jurors, skim read the thread, go by comments players submit, or what?
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:01 am

Post by Antrax »

I'm currently modding my fourth game.
Antrax
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:43 am

Post by Macros »

oh, dont keep tabs on mafiascum modding, i was refering to GL, sorry(unless you've modded gamesa there and im just plain blind)
Antrax
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
Antrax
mith owns mafiascum.net
mith owns mafiascum.net

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:49 pm

Post by Antrax »

I've modded two games on the GL. (Mafia 16 and Realtime mafia). Here I've modded Mini Game 6 and am modding Focused Mafia. I'm on the waiting list for Twin Peaks mafia, and promised to co-mod with jesternl and Dark.
Antrax
Samadhi
Samadhi
Townie
Samadhi
Townie
Townie
Location: What is A place where something is or could be located, Alex

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:16 pm

Post by Samadhi »

Well, the critique of a game shouldn't be done by just anyone. I would say that the people who played should fill out a "scorecard." Anyone who was in the game the whole time (or most of, judgement call perhaps by the "panel") could fill out a "scorecard." But the players IMO shouldn't get all the say.
Beyond the players I think it should be very limited, but I do think there should be a "panel" of sorts who would also fill out a "scorecard." DP, mith, IS, Antrax, some few others who are generally recognized as preeminent in the field of mafia. Others could be added to the "panel" by some method or another.
Your mod score would come from:
50% Participants
50% "Panel"
3% Perspiration (ok j/K)

The "scorecard" could be a 1-10 (or whatever) on several different subjects.
  • Action
  • Balance
  • Continuity
  • Discretion
  • Enjoyment

Or whatever preferably adding up to a nice round figure like 20, 50 or 100.

And if a "panel" member is also a player then they only get to fill out one "scorecard" and choose which group it goes in.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”