Cases are anti-town?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:57 am

Post by The Fonz »

In post 120, quadz08 wrote:Maybe I'm jumping too far back in history then. When I read old games from like 05-07/08, nothing ever goes longer than 20-30 pages.

Here is every Large Theme I played in 07-08.

Your assertion is untrue. Worst role ideas was the only one under 80 pages, and that pretty much defined 'bastard mod game that was more about the lulz than the actual play.'

Basically, ITT we learn that Chamber is an extremist, but the tendency he represents is not without its merits. People on this site need to use the phrase 'I see what you're saying, but I don't believe you' more often.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 am

Post by quadz08 »

Faaaair nuff!

I agree with your conclusion 100%.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:49 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 117, saulres wrote:I don't actually agree with this. Either there's something I still need to learn, or it's just not true. If you don't tell me why you vote, how is getting someone lynched going to help me know your alignment?

If I lynch all the scum and the game ends I'm probably town?

If I mislynch lots of town and the game ends I'm probably scum or town?

I can't explain to you how to read people, I know it's possible to read people who don't post long cases though so it's definitely true?

I mean obviously if you do nothing but 'vote, unvote' all game it's really difficult - but that's something that doesn't happen. People go in to slightly more detail than that most of the time.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:05 am

Post by The Fonz »

Actually, I tend to think the actual arguments people use are a red herring - people tend to use the same kind of rhetoric as either alignment.

It's who you vote for and when that's the single most useful source of information when scumhunting.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 128, The Fonz wrote:Actually, I tend to think the actual arguments people use are a red herring - people tend to use the same kind of rhetoric as either alignment.

It's who you vote for and when that's the single most useful source of information when scumhunting.

Who you vote for and when is the single most useful piece of information, but why is helpful as well.

Yes, people tend to use the same general types of arguments as either alignment, but they don't do so in the same way under the same circumstances. The way I think of it is that there is generally some divergence between scum play and "what that person would have done as town"; they're usually similar, but not quite the same. In key situations, the divergence becomes much bigger.

Cases are useful because there is a difference between the kind of cases you make as town looking for scum, and the kind of cases you make as scum when you're either trying to look town, flying under the radar, or trying to push mislynches. Different motives means you'll tend to go after different things in different ways; the general types of cases will be similar, but not the details.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 124, chamber wrote:
In post 121, zoraster wrote:that's potentially a sign that wall posts were worse. If you're typing up 2,000 word essays with Point-by-point analysis, you don't have time to post a ton of smaller posts that add pages to a game.

The past couple of years the tendency has been toward LOTS of smaller posts.

In 05 there were more of a mix of smaller posts and bigger posts, then around late 07-09 the wall posts hit their max, and they have been on the fall ever since. Of course in 05-6 games were -really- short compared to now too, in terms of total posts and total words.

anyone that doesn't think players used to wall, doesn't remember Ythill

hell, even I walled from time to time

The thing I've noticed most different is that games tend to be faster paced. I mean, back a few years ago, minis sometimes took three or four months
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
RXK
RXK
Goon
RXK
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:52 pm

Post by RXK »

when all else fails:
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Post by UberNinja »

Not gonna lie, I find myself doing that from time to time.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:26 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 132, UberNinja wrote:Not gonna lie, I find myself doing that from time to time.

In conjunction with your recent other thread is it any wonder people are considering you a Day 1 policy lynch?
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:30 am

Post by UberNinja »

Guess not.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”