Cases are anti-town?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:39 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 18, Umbrage wrote:I find players that go out of their way to make a huge detailed case are often scum.

I find that you are attributing a play-style choice to alignment which is terribad.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:49 am

Post by borkjerfkin »

In post 21, Bricktoes wrote:I read a Thor newbie game where he beat out a player who, rightly, had caugght him as scum basically by dismissing his walls with one liners.

Was this person me? If not, this happened to me.
beefycheese
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 am

Post by PJ. »

I disagree with Yosarian2.

I find fonz' reasoning to prett pretty solid. Like mentioned in the OP, I wanted to hear it from the man himself but it was 2am and I couldn't get to the beach today to bug him about it endlessly.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:29 am

Post by gorckat »

I agree with Fonz here.

If I were to take the time to elaborate every single point in my agreement, that wouldn't increase signal and would be a pain in the ass to read.
Jaws
Jaws
Goon
Jaws
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:34 am

Post by Jaws »

I use cases as a scumhunting tool, not to actually prove someone is guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Scum can easily brush off one-liner statements, but bring up a giant point-by-point case and they'll start freaking out trying to defend every little action.
Umbrage
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Umbrage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:07 am

Post by Umbrage »

In post 20, Timeater wrote:
dear god please stop posting

You cant even comprehend what I mean. Autism in action. All we need now is for Junpei to weigh in.

Oh I understand you. Which is why I want you to stop posting, everywhere.
I'll explain it to you. You have to get someone else to understand it for you.
Bricktoes
Bricktoes
Mafia Scum
Bricktoes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:33 am

Post by Bricktoes »

In post 26, borkjerfkin wrote:
In post 21, Bricktoes wrote:I read a Thor newbie game where he beat out a player who, rightly, had caugght him as scum basically by dismissing his walls with one liners.

Was this person me? If not, this happened to me.

I thought it was Guy Named Riggs, but I'm sure if it worked once Thor used it again.
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:01 am

Post by Timeater »

GNR owns.

Oh I understand you. Which is why I want you to stop posting, everywhere.

>Umbad telling someone to stop posting
watch for the eggshells
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:06 am

Post by Junpei »

In post 3, The Fonz wrote:I'll often vote without any stated reason, in the hope it will cause people to look at my target and figure out for themselves why I suspect them.

This is scummy because it entices town to find something wrong. Just like pointing at a huge post and going "does anyone see what I see is wrong with this?" is scummy.

MoI is right - calling a playstyle scummy is silly, it's all situational.
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE
UncertainKitten
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
UncertainKitten
Maid In Japan
Maid In Japan

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:33 am

Post by UncertainKitten »

See, I mostly subscribe to this, because the reactions to your caseless vote also tend to be valuable. I do, however, find it works better when you give people a "nibble", one point to work off of and let them figure out the rest. Even better if they don't expound it in some wall, but just vote with you. That panics scum far more than a point by point wall they can easily find the cracks in.

But I haven't played mafia for like a year so what do I know :shrug:

EDIT: Oh, also, the confirmation bias thing is a big point. The more you're defending your vote and case, the more vested as a person you are in it and it becomes that much harder to admit you're wrong when you are.
"Never have I seen anybody glorify their own lynch."
-StrangerCoug

Internet Mafia
is probably never going to happen. You all probably knew that.
Timeater
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Timeater
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:35 am

Post by Timeater »

I sort of agree with the Junpei's post actually, its expecting too much of people. Timing is everything. If you post below someone who just posted a pretty scummy post and you only respond with a vote, people will be likely to sheep. That being said for that specific situation I'm talking about its probably best if you haven't had any interactions with said votee.

I think MS deals with "cases" in a similar fashion EM deals with using "fos" (note I am originally an MS player, but I do love EM). When someone foses someone in EM, its a kind of a big deal and there is a sort of pageantry and ritual to it. It seems like a lot of MS players feel there needs to be an "official case" done by someone to get anyone lynched. Its extremely hard to properly
be a mob, to have that mob mentality
, when everything is so slowed down compared to normal forms of mafia.

IMO a big part of being decent at mafiascum is being subservise/subtle enough to manipulate this flaw in the long-form version of the game.
watch for the eggshells
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Post by The Fonz »

In post 14, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In post 9, The Fonz wrote:For me, gut-based or unexplained votes always draw more heat relative to ones which are neatly explained, even when the underlying motives aren't any less valid. I feel they are unfairly presented as scummy when they're not.

Here's the thing ... I understand your point but we have two votes.

One with attached reasoning.
One without.

The first can be analyzed for such things as scum intent and how said reasoning melds with other posts by the player.

The second cannot.

Well, the first can be analyzed for scum intent. You ask yourself rather than the player why they made that vote. And has been said already in thread, how good or consistent the logic appears to be seems to me much more a function of the player making the argument than the alignment making the argument. Generally, if a player is making arguments at all in the early days of a game, I'm not that interested in attacking them, I prefer to attack those who show little interest in going on the offensive at all. Later on, I'll rely more on looking at wagon dynamics and the timing of votes and things like that.

While we seem to be on opposite sides of the spectrum as to thinking explanation is a Pro-Town action it is easier for scum to hide their pushes under the second kind of vote and say "I thought it was obvious, draw your own conclusions". Town can do it also but that only enables scum to do the same.

Well, I don't think explaining yourself is antitown. I certainly think players should usually explain their thought process if asked to. I also think both of you and I could do with being more concise in general. I just don't assume that because a player votes with one line of justification or none at all, it follows that he doesn't have any reasons. I also became excessively aware a few years ago that when I built cases of the kind you tend to deploy now, which at the time I did a lot, people would just sheep me without thinking about anything at all for themselves.

I've seen players like Chamber and Jack come under undue pressure because their posts were short far too often. Some of the best scumhunters I've seen were short post types. X-Com Terror From The Deep Mafia was one of the best examples I can think of. Chamber, playing under an alt, voted for a scum immediately after that scum had made a scummy as fuck post. And it immediately caused all the (fairly inexperienced) townies to scream 'OMG Chamber doesn't have reasons for his vote! Scum!' and he was lynched D1. Whereas to me, when I replaced in, it was excessively obvious why he'd voted the way he did when he did.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Seriously; voting on gut is fine if that's the best you can do, but if you actually have a reason for thinking person X is scum, it's usually best to say it. You can lead with a vote and explain later to get better reactions if you want, but if you have reasons, you should share them at some point. You might convince other people, or there might be some huge hole in your logic that someone else can point out.

Just remember that half the reason of making a case on someone is the chance that you might be wrong, and if you are, you want someone to explain to you why you are wrong. It's not a debating club; if you "win the debate" but lynch a town it doesn't help you.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Post by Junpei »

Re: Reaction tests: If you don't know what you're looking for, then you're looking for trouble.

Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 38, Junpei wrote:Re: Reaction tests: If you don't know what you're looking for, then you're looking for trouble.

It's worthwhile poking at someone you are suspicious of to see how they react and how other people react.

I should be clear, though, that when some people say "reactions tests" they mean "I'm going to do something stupid, scummy, and anti-town and see how people react", and that's a terrible idea. Never do something actually anti-town in order to get a reaction, or the reaction will be "all the townies quicklynching you"
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

It depends on the nature of the case. If it is a logical case then it is helpful. Sometimes, cases just try to nitpick every single thing someone does, which might not be helpful.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 36, The Fonz wrote:Well, I don't think explaining yourself is antitown. I certainly think players should usually explain their thought process if asked to. I also think both of you and I could do with being more concise in general. I just don't assume that because a player votes with one line of justification or none at all, it follows that he doesn't have any reasons. I also became excessively aware a few years ago that when I built cases of the kind you tend to deploy now, which at the time I did a lot, people would just sheep me without thinking about anything at all for themselves.

My problem is the farther extreme of the Vote without explanation game ... after someone asks "Why did you vote PlayerX" and the voter says something to the effect of "Gut" or "Read the thread". Both of those are useless responses that don't to anything to help the proceedings. At the end of the day people who just vote, never give any explanations and flaunt not bothering to do so are always going to fall into my "Ignore and vote if a wagon forms" pool. It's a me issue but it's where I am at.

In the end I'd say every read is gut. Something about the post you see says "This isn't right" and you look closer. Heck, look at LMP's recent Buffy the Vampire Slayer game (although for some reason I can't find it at all. And I know it was not Tiger eaten. Did something happen to part of the completed game in Mini Theme?). The first post iStark made hit my gut like a Ton of bricks. He got lynched in like 5 pages and was scum.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Giitah
Giitah
Goon
Giitah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Post by Giitah »

So, is it better to vote w/o anything (but of course have reason), vote w/ a concise explanation, vote w/ some explanation and some left for others to find, or to make a point-by-point case and vote? It appears we've had responses from every single faction here. Admittedly, though, the only one with a pro for a point-by-point case is Jaws in post #29, but other than that we've had lots of different responses. Should we tighten the parameters of the question and rethink or is there any consensus?

I think that in terms of garnering votes, a concise explanation fairs much better than a lengthy point-by-point analysis. Additionally, point-by-point analysis tends to lead to you strengthening your conviction of your suspicion without regard to whether or not your suspicion is correct. Based on these I think I'd try to shift my game to the former rather than the latter, but it seems some people are even for voting w/o an explanation, which I can only say is... difficult. Refer to MoI's post above, I think he summarized my feelings on the matter pretty well.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 41, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In the end I'd say every read is gut.

That's really not true.

I can't tell you how many times that I had a town gut read on someone for most of the game, but I voted them anyway, because logic dictated that they had to be scum. Usually logic trumps gut.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Post by Vi »

Or put it like this.

Scumone makes a scummy post.
I vote them without explanation.

Your options are:
*agree and vote
*disagree and don't vote
*ask for a reason

If you ask for a reason, you're not necessarily likely to get a full case, but a reason or two perhaps (assuming the answer isn't "because they're scum"). From there, you can choose either to vote or not to vote.

If after that reason is given you still want to argue it out instead of making a decision, you might be nitpicking a bit much and/or trying to defend them without making a decision, neither of which is a good thing.

As a bonus, votes without explanation can throw everyone else off-balance. If it happens to your scumpartner and you don't really know WHY they're getting voted, that places all of you in an awkward position.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Post by crypto »

In post 43, Yosarian2 wrote:Usually logic trumps gut.
this statement is delightfully retarded on so many levels
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Post by Junpei »

@Vi:

Actually you're leaving out things such as voting you, or asking you why you didn't provide a reason.

Furthermore, asking for a reason and then arguing on your reasoning could be because of many things. Maybe you really have poor logic or your explanation incriminates yourself somehow. Both of which are good reasons to ask for more reasoning.

As for scumpartner being voted, I'd do this: Ask why you're voting for them.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 45, crypto wrote:

naw. I've seen plenty of "logical" cases be wrong.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 45, crypto wrote:

Ok, I should clarify that. Usually for people who are not bloody idiots, logic trumps gut.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Logic is great when you can get it. I've found that you rarely get a chance to employ it though.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”