Private Topics Discussion (Now with Mish Mash)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:23 am

Post by zoraster »

That's why in the past I've used RGAM, which involves posting the time of the draw, then in the recording showing the time and date website. Then doing the draw. Sure, I could edit it together, but it increases the cost of manipulation a lot and might result in being caught.

I don't trust you. I don't trust any mod. I don't think all mods who don't show their system manipulate at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like a third to half do so.

I doubt there are many mods who manipulate games hugely. I think it's likely that they randomly generate and then look at it and either (a) think this is a crappy draw and redo the randomness or (b) swap a couple of players around to make for what they think is a more fun experience. I think mods do this in the hopes of providing players with a better game, so it's not like I think mods are doing this maliciously. But I think it goes on.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 am

Post by Zachrulez »

That hurts man. :(

If mods are unhappy with their draws, the easiest way to solve that problem if you're using the random generator shell is to just reroll it. You can do that after you get the draw with a simple press of the button. If there's any manipulation going on, I suspect that would be what's happening. I doubt the prevalence of that is as high as you believe though.

I've personally been tempted at times, but have never done so myself.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 am

Post by zoraster »

Rerolling is absolutely manipulation of results.

My general thought is that if I've been tempted to manipulate results (I have), and if there's a ZERO percent chance of being caught, at least some fairly sizable portion of the population will choose to manipulate. My desire to provide a completely unbiased game will not be shared by all those who share my temptation to manipulate.

Truth be told, the systems I put in place are there to help remove that temptation so that I don't have to wrangle with it every time I do a new game.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 77, zoraster wrote:Rerolling is absolutely manipulation of results.

My general thought is that if I've been tempted to manipulate results (I have), and if there's a ZERO percent chance of being caught, at least some fairly sizable portion of the population will choose to manipulate. My desire to provide a completely unbiased game will not be shared by all those who share my temptation to manipulate.

Truth be told, the systems I put in place are there to help remove that temptation so that I don't have to wrangle with it every time I do a new game.
Mostly I've just trained myself not to be invested in the outcome of the game. (I'm talking in terms of how it unfolds. I am invested in a smooth well run game.) It removes a lot of the temptation to manipulate.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:45 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 77, zoraster wrote:Rerolling is absolutely manipulation of results.

I'm not as pessimistic as zora here, but I know he's right.

I... I close my eyes and hit refresh an arbitrary and frivolous amount of times. Then I stop, open my eyes, and that's it; that's the draw. Then I say, "Locked in. No fear. No regrets. The first day of the rest of your life. #YOLO Game on. God bless America. We built this city on rock and roll." Then I drop the mic and everyone applauds as I exit the stage.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:07 am

Post by Zachrulez »

I'm sure in my earlier modding days, I might have found it worthwhile to create a system to remove temptation to manipulate the draw. I've gained enough experience and separated myself from the investment of wanting a draw that "results in an interesting game" to the point where I'm much less tempted to manipulate the draw now.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:10 am

Post by zoraster »

like a bad answer answer to an even worse interview question, it's just that I care too much; work too hard.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:13 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 75, zoraster wrote:I doubt there are many mods who manipulate games hugely. I think it's likely that they randomly generate and then look at it and either (a) think this is a crappy draw and redo the randomness or (b) swap a couple of players around to make for what they think is a more fun experience. I think mods do this in the hopes of providing players with a better game, so it's not like I think mods are doing this maliciously. But I think it goes on.
Counterpoint: It's not interesting when the New York Yankees play the Cedar Rapids Kernels. That's not a game.

Will I manipulate the draw to give a favorite player a favorite role? No. But there have been situations where the game benefits from a different randomization seed. As a Dungeon Master for RPGs, I can tell you that the dice hate you, and the players both.
Retired as of October 2014.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 am

Post by RichardGHP »

I do the randomization way before sign ups even take place. Removes pretty much all temptation to tinker with the assignment. If you get a list which is not strictly desirable (e.g. the entire scum team taking up one single section), you will obviously want to reroll that. On that basis, I am not entirely opposed to zoraster's example a). But I think that altering the distribution any more specifically than that is just not good modding practice. Having said that, it absolutely should not be incumbent on the mod to prove that the distribution is random.
penguin_alien
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:12 am

Post by penguin_alien »

In terms of using the dice tags, it seems to come with a decent chance of having to perform supplementary rolls some significant part of the time. Just looking at a Micro or Newbie set-up with nine slots, rolling a d100 for each player (it would seem that that's as high as it goes) only gives nine distinct numbers 69% of the time (back of the envelope number). One could roll for the player slot to get each role individually while readjusting the list after each roll, but that generates a whole lot of posts, never mind doing that for some of the larger games. The advantage of that would be the ability to see how time stamps elapse between mod topic posts, but it's still not proof against someone aborting and deleting partway through.

In terms of randomizing for any given game, it seems to me in my limited experience that one never knows how people are going to work in the actual situation, either as a scum team or as a complete player group. Trying to outguess the competence players will bring to the table in a specific situation seems like a good way to miss out on some surprising synergies.
Siveure DtTrikyp
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Siveure DtTrikyp
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:53 am

Post by Siveure DtTrikyp »

If I were modding (which I don't, lol), I'd do dice tags for each individual role other than the biggest group of roles (usually VTs). When someone gets a role, just take their name out. So, for a 2/7 setup with no PRs, do 1d9 for the first mafia then 1d8 for the second.

The amount of times I mixed up roll and role typing this in. Yuck.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:01 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 83, RichardGHP wrote:I do the randomization way before sign ups even take place. Removes pretty much all temptation to tinker with the assignment. If you get a list which is not strictly desirable (e.g. the entire scum team taking up one single section), you will obviously want to reroll that. On that basis, I am not entirely opposed to zoraster's example a). But I think that altering the distribution any more specifically than that is just not good modding practice. Having said that, it absolutely should not be incumbent on the mod to prove that the distribution is random.
what do you mean a single section?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 84, penguin_alien wrote:In terms of using the dice tags, it seems to come with a decent chance of having to perform supplementary rolls some significant part of the time. Just looking at a Micro or Newbie set-up with nine slots, rolling a d100 for each player (it would seem that that's as high as it goes) only gives nine distinct numbers 69% of the time (back of the envelope number). One could roll for the player slot to get each role individually while readjusting the list after each roll, but that generates a whole lot of posts, never mind doing that for some of the larger games. The advantage of that would be the ability to see how time stamps elapse between mod topic posts, but it's still not proof against someone aborting and deleting partway through.

In terms of randomizing for any given game, it seems to me in my limited experience that one never knows how people are going to work in the actual situation, either as a scum team or as a complete player group. Trying to outguess the competence players will bring to the table in a specific situation seems like a good way to miss out on some surprising synergies.
You're reversing it. What you do is you make a list:

1. Cop
2. Doc
3. Tracker
4. Mafia Goon
5. Mafia Roleblocker
6. Mafia Godfather
7. Mafia Goon
8-17. VT

Then you roll for each player. Higher number is 1, lowest number is 17.

When I've done this in the past for various things I'll do two rolls at once: 1d100 and 1d50 or something. The second roll is only used to break ties.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:04 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 82, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 75, zoraster wrote:I doubt there are many mods who manipulate games hugely. I think it's likely that they randomly generate and then look at it and either (a) think this is a crappy draw and redo the randomness or (b) swap a couple of players around to make for what they think is a more fun experience. I think mods do this in the hopes of providing players with a better game, so it's not like I think mods are doing this maliciously. But I think it goes on.
Counterpoint: It's not interesting when the New York Yankees play the Cedar Rapids Kernels. That's not a game.

Will I manipulate the draw to give a favorite player a favorite role? No. But there have been situations where the game benefits from a different randomization seed. As a Dungeon Master for RPGs, I can tell you that the dice hate you, and the players both.
As if we can really guess the outcome that well, but I'd rather have mods let the Cedar Rapids Kernels play the Yankees than have mods manipulate results to give what they think is a more even game. If I know you feel this way, I will 100% think to try to guess what you'd do as a mod, particularly if two poor scum players have flipped scum already.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Post by Kdub »

In post 83, RichardGHP wrote:I do the randomization way before sign ups even take place.
This is pretty much the only way to do it. Generate a random sequence, reorder all the roles in your game by that sequence, then post it in a place where your backup mod sees it. Then as players sign up, place them in sequential order down the list. There is no way to manipulate that unless the backup mod is in on it as well.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Post by Haylen »

I really like the green. <.< Well this answers my question as to whether there was a point of that forum. I like it.

(Disclaimer: I have only read the OP and skimmed half of the first page).

Just to clarify:
We can only see topics we create.
We can add other people to topics we create.
If we add somebody to a topic we have created, they will see it in their forum.
Nobody else can see the thread unless we have added them to the topic.
People added to the thread do not have the power to add other people.

How will this work at the end of games when people ask for QT links? Do we just add everybody to the thread?
Could this put a strain on the server, hosting private topics here? I seem to remember there being server space issues in the past.
What happens to the thread? Does it eventually get deleted? (I ask because I have kept every private topic I've personally every seen in my played games and my modded games.)
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

In post 86, zoraster wrote:
In post 83, RichardGHP wrote:I do the randomization way before sign ups even take place. Removes pretty much all temptation to tinker with the assignment. If you get a list which is not strictly desirable (e.g. the entire scum team taking up one single section), you will obviously want to reroll that. On that basis, I am not entirely opposed to zoraster's example a). But I think that altering the distribution any more specifically than that is just not good modding practice. Having said that, it absolutely should not be incumbent on the mod to prove that the distribution is random.
I mean, if the scum team is taking up three spots on the list right next to each other, for example. Or any such situations where the distribution isn't considered to "look" particularly random.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 91, RichardGHP wrote:
I mean, if the scum team is taking up three spots on the list right next to each other, for example. Or any such situations where the distribution isn't considered to "look" particularly random.
Of course now that you've posted this, if I were one of your players I'd totally use this to clear somebody if two scum flipped on either side of them.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

In post 92, Cabd wrote:
In post 91, RichardGHP wrote:
Of course now that you've posted this, if I were one of your players I'd totally use this to clear somebody if two scum flipped on either side of them.
Do so at your peril. It's not like I can't make exceptions to my own rules.
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Post by JacobSavage »

In post 90, Haylen wrote:How will this work at the end of games when people ask for QT links? Do we just add everybody to the thread?
You can set the privacy settings to "public" so everyone can view it.
"
I don't have an opinion, everything is great.
"

I have a GTKAS!
| Slightly V/LA at the moment
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:15 am

Post by chamber »

In post 90, Haylen wrote:We can only see topics we create.
For you, hopefully. at the moment all admins can see all PTs, and when I'm not in games I'll likely also periodically be in that group to make sure everything's working right and not being abused.
In post 90, Haylen wrote:We can add other people to topics we create.
Yes.
In post 90, Haylen wrote:If we add somebody to a topic we have created, they will see it in their forum.
Yes.
In post 90, Haylen wrote:Nobody else can see the thread unless we have added them to the topic.
With the few previously stated exceptions.
In post 90, Haylen wrote:People added to the thread do not have the power to add other people.
Unless they have editing powers in the forum. (me, admins).
Taking a break from the site.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:49 am

Post by Cabd »

Chamber, how hard would it be to modify this to allow setting up main game threads with an approved poster list?
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 am

Post by chamber »

In post 96, Cabd wrote:Chamber, how hard would it be to modify this to allow setting up main game threads with an approved poster list?
Not hard but I also have no plans to do so atm.
Taking a break from the site.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 90, Haylen wrote:How will this work at the end of games when people ask for QT links? Do we just add everybody to the thread?
There's a make public option in the threads.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:04 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 96, Cabd wrote:Chamber, how hard would it be to modify this to allow setting up main game threads with an approved poster list?
This actually may be good so that mods can exercise more control over hydras. Often times hydra players inadvertently post in incorrect accounts, especially players that juggle several different accounts.

So if only the hydra account can post in the thread, it eliminates the issue of wrong accounts posting.

Also, the obvious, it could prevent any trolling from players coming into game and trying to spoil it or something. I've actually never seen this happen before, but I'm sure it's not unprecedented. I could see it being especially useful in newbie games when someone is lynched in a controversial way and they show the potential to out their partners in some emotional outburst.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”