Claiming when you're about to get lynched.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Claiming when you're about to get lynched.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Post by Aronis »

Why do people wait to claim until they are at L-1 and everyone not on the wagon has threatened to hammer?

I thought you were supposed to claim as soon as you got to L-1. The delay doesn't really help town, it just gives scum more time to get things together for their fakeclaims anyways.
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:53 pm

Post by Magua »

Because of the propensity for lynch wagons to get to L-1 and then dissolve.

(Claiming is in general pretty bad for you, regardless of alignment. So everyone's incentivized to put off claiming as long as possible.)
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:14 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 0, Aronis wrote:Why do people wait to claim until they are at L-1 and everyone not on the wagon has threatened to hammer?

I thought you were supposed to claim as soon as you got to L-1. The delay doesn't really help town, it just gives scum more time to get things together for their fakeclaims anyways.

Sometimes to mix it up I like to claim for no reason during day 1.
Scum typically need to fabricate reasons for scumreads...

Selkie
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

Yes but you are a terrible person
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Post by Shadowmod »

More specifically:
If you are a PR, you do not want to out that info, more specifically you so not want it out to scum, and if there was something that you'd really wanted to be out right now, youd have claimed that bit already.
If you are a VT, you do not want that to be known publicly, and therefor by scum as well, because as it gives town nothing useful at all but helps scum to PoE power role hunt.

Thus you only ever want to claim when the alternative is worse, i.e. you are gonna get lynched otherwise, being at L-1 and with hammer intent stated by some one not voting yet. Even then, as some roles it may be better to tell people to bugger off or do what they cannot let be and not claim your (true) role or at least not all aspects of it (as an example, I remember having a scum-selective suicide bomber aspect to my role in one game, for examle. I would not have specified that part under any circumstances. I simply told people they would not need to know during mass claim and went on successfully sniping the final scum i the game).
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress:
Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693
Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:25 pm

Post by Vi »

FWIW if you play it right you can use claims prior to L-1 as social judo to make yourself look megaTown. This is a large improvement over the standard purpose of claims (i.e. "we're going to lynch you anyway buuuut maybe if you're too valuable to lynch, etc.").
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:20 am

Post by quadz08 »

'social judo'

Vi is a pro using people's text-momentum against them
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:25 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Claim Miller Rolecop
Nobody will suspect a thing.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:04 am

Post by Aronis »

In post 4, Shadowmod wrote:More specifically:
If you are a PR, you do not want to out that info, more specifically you so not want it out to scum, and if there was something that you'd really wanted to be out right now, youd have claimed that bit already.
If you are a VT, you do not want that to be known publicly, and therefor by scum as well, because as it gives town nothing useful at all but helps scum to PoE power role hunt.

Thus you only ever want to claim when the alternative is worse, i.e. you are gonna get lynched otherwise, being at L-1 and with hammer intent stated by some one not voting yet. Even then, as some roles it may be better to tell people to bugger off or do what they cannot let be and not claim your (true) role or at least not all aspects of it (as an example, I remember having a scum-selective suicide bomber aspect to my role in one game, for examle. I would not have specified that part under any circumstances. I simply told people they would not need to know during mass claim and went on successfully sniping the final scum i the game).

If you're at L-1 and wait until a hammer has been threatened to claim, the odds of me believing anything you say drops drastically. If I'm a town PR, I want to claim as soon as I get to L-1 to avoid any possible quickhammers by someone. Where as if I'm scum, I really don't want to have to claim a PR I don't have, so I'm more likely to wait until the last second.
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:06 am

Post by Aronis »

In post 5, Vi wrote:FWIW if you play it right you can use claims prior to L-1 as social judo to make yourself look megaTown. This is a large improvement over the standard purpose of claims (i.e. "we're going to lynch you anyway buuuut maybe if you're too valuable to lynch, etc.").

I've done this on occasion, but it really just depends on the role. I only like doing it with weaker town PRs normally. Because it ticks me off when VTs try it and if I'm the cop or something, I generally don't want to out myself that quick.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:40 am

Post by Shadowmod »

People rely on role claims to dertermine alignment way too much. Like when it is day 3, town has mislynched twice and some one suggests "uh, let's just mass claim or something". And most of the time it doesn't even work. What you should really do is not let it come so far that all standing between you and a lynch is a good "townie" claim.
The only thing you can really gain from claims is tactical play, p.e. not lynch the claimed cop unless it is LyLo, or force some one's hand if their claim is confirmable in some way.
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

If a player is at lynch -1 with a lynch pending, that really shouldn't be the time for players to suddenly decide that the person claiming vanilla is town, that really shouldn't stop the lynch, and then of course the more you play the game of how awesome you are at reading claims, inevitably you end up outting power roles anyway which is like the exact opposite of what you want to be doing.

Ideally in games I would NEVER claim until my role had information that made claiming worthwhile, but in game it's kind of a judgment call. My thought is that if you're vanilla you probably don't even want to bother claiming because it's better from a power role fishing perspective if they just lynch you. (Regardless of this I have claimed as vanilla because the site meta REALLY wants you to when you're under pressure.) As a power role, it's really a judgment call. If the momentum for your wagon is inevitable then you probably want to claim as far before lynch -1 as you can because the more you put off a claim the more likely town is to lynch you anyway.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:19 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 10, Shadowmod wrote:People rely on role claims to dertermine alignment way too much. Like when it is day 3, town has mislynched twice and some one suggests "uh, let's just mass claim or something". And most of the time it doesn't even work. What you should really do is not let it come so far that all standing between you and a lynch is a good "townie" claim.

There's nothing wrong with massclaiming and trying to work out if the power roles claimed make sense with what you've seen.

People worry too much about outing power roles, I think. If you think the VT being wagoned is town you should be trying to dismantle the wagon, not going for the "worst case scenario he's just a vt", lynch.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Beck
Beck
Jack of All Trades
Beck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:12 am

Post by Beck »

In post 1, Magua wrote:Because of the propensity for lynch wagons to get to L-1 and then dissolve.

Well I suggest we nip that in the bud
Beck =/= The band
Beck = a football player

"Without rules there is Chaos" C. Kramer
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Post by reinoe »

In post 12, Faraday wrote:
In post 10, Shadowmod wrote:People rely on role claims to dertermine alignment way too much. Like when it is day 3, town has mislynched twice and some one suggests "uh, let's just mass claim or something". And most of the time it doesn't even work. What you should really do is not let it come so far that all standing between you and a lynch is a good "townie" claim.

There's nothing wrong with massclaiming and trying to work out if the power roles claimed make sense with what you've seen.

People worry too much about outing power roles, I think. If you think the VT being wagoned is town you should be trying to dismantle the wagon, not going for the "worst case scenario he's just a vt", lynch.

THIS!!!!! If I think someone is town, I'm not going to wait until they get to L-1 to defend them. Wagon analysis should start before L-1. Even if you think the person is scum. Sometimes I will think a person is scum but the wagon on them just makes my skin crawl.

Selkie
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:06 am

Post by Vi »

In post 12, Faraday wrote:People worry too much about outing power roles, I think. If you think the VT being wagoned is town you should be trying to dismantle the wagon, not going for the "worst case scenario he's just a vt", lynch.
This this this this. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

No seriously. If outing a role (which
might
be a power role and
might
be the kill choice) is worse for Town than mislynching (removing two people from Town's numbers, increasing scum advantage) then that suggests that the Town is screwed without the power role, which means they were probably going to lose anyway outside Follow The Cop setups.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:19 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 15, Vi wrote:
In post 12, Faraday wrote:People worry too much about outing power roles, I think. If you think the VT being wagoned is town you should be trying to dismantle the wagon, not going for the "worst case scenario he's just a vt", lynch.

might
be a power role and
might
be the kill choice) is worse for Town than mislynching (removing two people from Town's numbers, increasing scum advantage) then that suggests that the Town is screwed without the power role, which means they were probably going to lose anyway outside Follow The Cop setups.

I'm suggesting that if the town was willing to lynch a vt before a claim, the claim itself generally shouldn't stop the lynch. It does surprisingly often. The reason tends to be because people think the claim "sounds town" as if scum doesn't have the ability to make a claim sound town.

I'm not suggesting that if it becomes obvious a player is town you shouldn't accept the consequences of the player now being outted. I am suggesting that if it's so obvious a player is town, they probably shouldn't have been run up to a claim in the first place. I do think towns have a tendency to run up players just to get a claim and it's not particularly good play.

As a player I get annoyed when you have a quarter to a third of the town outed on day 1.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:00 am

Post by Vi »

In post 16, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 15, Vi wrote:

might
be a power role and
might
I'm suggesting that if the town was willing to lynch a vt before a claim, the claim itself generally shouldn't stop the lynch. It does surprisingly often. The reason tends to be because people think the claim "sounds town" as if scum doesn't have the ability to make a claim sound town.

I'm not suggesting that if it becomes obvious a player is town you shouldn't accept the consequences of the player now being outted. I am suggesting that if it's so obvious a player is town, they probably shouldn't have been run up to a claim in the first place. I do think towns have a tendency to run up players just to get a claim and it's not particularly good play.

As a player I get annoyed when you have a quarter to a third of the town outed on day 1.
I have seen Towns run people up for lolclaims, but I don't expect it much from this site. But, the meta has probably changed since I was last active... Nonetheless, the point that I don't think is getting through is that players may not seem Townish
until
they claim, at which time things change.

As a player I almost prefer when a quarter to a third of the (Mini-size) Town is outed on Day 1, provided that they didn't claim frivolously and I think they're all very likely to be Town.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:53 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 16, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 15, Vi wrote:

might
be a power role and
might

I mean the whole point of mafia is trying to distinguish town things from fake town things, people doing this from how someone claims their role isn't any more outlandish than lots of other stuff people use *shrug*
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 5, Vi wrote:FWIW if you play it right you can use claims prior to L-1 as social judo to make yourself look megaTown.

Not sure what you mean by this, could you elaborate and/or give a quick hypothetical example?
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Post by Shadowmod »

In post 18, Faraday wrote:I mean the whole point of mafia is trying to distinguish town things from fake town things, people doing this from how someone claims their role isn't any more outlandish than lots of other stuff people use *shrug*

That's true, but claiming is just one little among many, many things and should not get more focus than it deserves. Some people seem to think a mass full claim is a magical device that will break the game wide open for town, whereas in reality it can just as well turn things from bad to worse for a town that's already in bad shape.

Giving lynchees the chance to claim, bring forth a final defense or share some last words before the hammer is good practice of play, though.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:16 am

Post by Vi »

In post 19, Muffin wrote:
In post 5, Vi wrote:FWIW if you play it right you can use claims prior to L-1 as social judo to make yourself look megaTown.
Not sure what you mean by this, could you elaborate and/or give a quick hypothetical example?
It's like claiming any other role. Yours happens to be vanilla, but if you make it very clear that you've been playing with that in mind, then etc. (Of course this can be faked, but many sensible scum will be keeping the option open to claim a power role and won't go for that approach.)

Two kinda-themey games I can think of that may be relevant to this thread (and show that I'm oooooold, and that I kinda miss some people, like circa-2010 Vi :( ):
Of Rogues and Curses - no fewer than three V.Townie claims Day 1. All of them were Town. Scum got lynched Day 1. Town lost but not really due to the claims (more like a brilliant gambit on a flavor technicality).

Pie E7 Mark II - It's frigging Pie E7 and a V.Townie autoclaimed at L-1 on Page 5. I proceed to break the setup anyway
with the help of the claim
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:00 am

Post by Muffin »

In post 21, Vi wrote:It's like claiming any other role. Yours happens to be vanilla, but if you make it very clear that you've been playing with that in mind, then etc. (Of course this can be faked, but many sensible scum will be keeping the option open to claim a power role and won't go for that approach.)

Oh I see what you're getting at. Makes sense.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:52 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Never claim.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
reinoe
reinoe
Mafia Scum
reinoe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:07 am

Post by reinoe »

In post 22, Muffin wrote:
In post 21, Vi wrote:It's like claiming any other role. Yours happens to be vanilla, but if you make it very clear that you've been playing with that in mind, then etc. (Of course this can be faked, but many sensible scum will be keeping the option open to claim a power role and won't go for that approach.)

Oh I see what you're getting at. Makes sense.

That means sometimes you gotta breadcrumb vanilla townie.

Selkie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”