Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #700 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:01 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Mafiascum - now hosting one month ultimate werewolf
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #701 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:47 am

Post by Soft-spoken »

epicmafia is having the same problem, so its not the forum format that is the issue.

im sorry to say this godawful truth, but town of salem is absorbing much of the webs incoming mafia interest. it has steam compatibility and is easily understood by 5 year olds. exposure + simplicity + fun = profit

its a fad that will die out, but how is the mafia community going to harness that destructive energy when it does?
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #702 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Post by Vampirate »

What do people think of Skype mafia games?
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #703 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Post by Soft-spoken »

EM played alot of skype mafia games when the site went down for a while. they are fun, but moderating anything other than the simplest of mechanics can be challenging... there were only a couple people willing to mod.

honestly, if you want to attract people who desire a more fast paced environment, you already have a forum for that and opening it more often is the simple solution.
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #704 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Post by Soft-spoken »

i have been thinking about a few ways of culturally contaminating both sites.

1. make a mafiascum lobby on epicmafia and link games of c14/sbts/matrix6 from these forums

2. promote mafiascum marathon days on epicmafia forums/lobby walls.

honestly both sites seem kinda inbred in their ways of approaching the game and it would do worlds of good to encourage a meeting of minds.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #705 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Post by Vampirate »

You have to clear the idea with Mith first.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #706 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Epicmafia still has shit mechanics on various roles.

Hooker not blocking Watcher and shit like that.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Reubus Swagrid
Reubus Swagrid
Goon
Reubus Swagrid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #707 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:34 pm

Post by Reubus Swagrid »

I think holding mafia games in other online communities (where mafia isn't as prominent) and post game mention that MS exists and if they enjoyed their game they could go there would be a good idea if you can be bothered. I know I came to this site looking for an online werewolf forum after I had played a game elsewhere and now I'm a somewhat active scummer. We could try to make mafia more known among the internet but other than the prior mention I don't see any other free methods of advertising the site.

That's just my 2 cents
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #708 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Post by Ankamius »

The problem with that is that it's kind of rude to do so.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #709 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:53 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Play mafia on other forums. casually mention MS occasionally. Or even that you play elsewhere without dropping names. In one of my first games at MS a player casually mentioned he played on another site without even a forum name drop. I was impressed with his play in that game, so I followed it up and eventually played a few games on the other site. And then was invited to play at a 3rd site. If MS didn't keep me more than busy enough I'd play on both of those sites more often.

I think if I were traveling from a site with fewer ongoing games to a site with tons of them, osmosis would prevail.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #710 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

I think responding to (even somewhat) solicited feedback about online mafia with this site is socially acceptable.
beefycheese
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #711 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 709, fferyllt wrote:osmosis would prevail

RIP #sixprizes #osu!mafia
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #712 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:04 pm

Post by Soft-spoken »

In post 706, BBmolla wrote:Epicmafia still has shit mechanics on various roles.

Hooker not blocking Watcher and shit like that.
which format did you play first? it makes perfect sense to someone native to the site. the order of actions are redirect>roleblock>investigate/save>convert>kill

anything that does not visit cannot be tracked/watched, redirected, or role-blocked. watchers and a few other roles have ninja-like mechanics and thus cannot be role-blocked. its different, not shit. everything makes sense if you understand the framework.
Last edited by Soft-spoken on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #713 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Post by Soft-spoken »

the community, however, is generally shit... hence me thinking about making an isolated environment on the site for scummers.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #714 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Post by tn5421 »

I went and made such a lobby. Now we just need to see if anyone will use it.
WIP
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #715 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

SoftSpoken introduced me to epicmafia. Even though I was skeptic at first, I now think his plan has a better chance of succeeding than chatmafia. The user interface is very easy to use. The role list is limited, but I think most people won't mind the simplicity in a live mafia setting. Some good setups I have seen/was able to recreate are SCIENCE, C-14, Masons and Mafia, and Mountainous Nightless, with and without a mafia vengekill.
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #716 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:30 am

Post by Soft-spoken »

honestly, i think you would have the better format if you could package it into a more intuitive UI. i want to see something like chatmafia succeed... but making every action in game clickable is important for ease of use.

is mountainous nightless the one we use ninja/granny or goon/virgin for on EM? we should add those to the lobby stickies.

also if we can make a custom role for a mafia that shares a meeting but cant kill so we can have other mechanics (like vengeful towny) in a nightless.

i would rather discuss this in another thread but mine got deleted because of the links to the lobby without permission. maybe if we can get approval from mith we could have an easy way to play live games together.

either way dont stop working on chatmafia... its potential for setup creation is much better. EM's custom role creator is limited.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #717 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:43 am

Post by Persivul »

How about letting people host private games here? If you do that I haven't seen it.

I played a mafia game on another non-mafia forum and two people there mentioned this site, so I came over. If that site could host games here (which would be nice due to the special features you guys have, like ISO), some of those players might join in other games as well.

Also people's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. I like longer phases, but not this long. I would suggest 5-day day phases and 1-day night phases (maybe 2 if there's tons of roles).
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #718 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 am

Post by Oversoul »

In post 708, Ankamius wrote:The problem with that is that it's kind of rude to do so.

Agree with this. If you did that at MTGS, you would probably be laughed out of the place.

This is weird. Are we trying to sell mafia to other online communities...?
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #719 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:54 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 717, Persivul wrote:Also people's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. I like longer phases, but not this long. I would suggest 5-day day phases and 1-day night phases (maybe 2 if there's tons of roles).

This shouldn't and won't happen.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #720 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:59 am

Post by Plotinus »

i’ve played 72 hour day phases and it was really scumsided. we spent each day bumbling around in confusion and didn’t ever come to any clear conclusion and then oh shit deadline scramble oh they were town oh well.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Tere
Tere
Mafia Scum
Tere
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #721 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Post by Tere »

I think the current format allows for shorter games if there's appetite for it - I ended up playing in one recently that basically ended up as 48 hour / 48 hour and there's a few others with a shorter cycle, e.g. The 7 day Days post Day 1 I am playing in atm.
Mostly V/LA at weekends. GTKAS - Tere
I am also really too busy to play mafia to the quality level I prefer. I should spectate. If you see me in more than one game tell me off! Also invite me to cool games to spectate. I will bring cupcakes! <3
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #722 (ISO) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 am

Post by Oversoul »

Wasn't around for original discussion but putting 2 cents in

I think it is threefold. MS.net is no longer the defacto mafia place to be. MS.net is having slower games as a result of ballooning page and post counts. And hydras. When people play games together it sucks the available community dry of actual players meaning more players in one game less players available for a second game.

Case in point?

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f

7 potential hydra already. That's insanity.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #723 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Have long deadlines and short deadlines as a compromise. Also, whenever people play social games irl, they don't always default to mafia, they usually default to card games first. Usually to get mafia going off is to have a few mafia enthusiasts who really enjoy mafia and get others hooked. I'll tell ya, I joined a fraternity and I got these rushes VERY hooked on irl mafia. Mafia is really fun, it's just an untapped vessel with much potential, that people don't know about until they get their feet wet.

Plus, you have to consider the scum meets ms has as well. I think that's the most important. If we had some in NY or something I'd try my hardest to make it out. Even a local mafia scene would be awesome and you could advertise that way easily.

Again I think IRL mafia is a really good way to get people hooked. I only played mafia because the original theme I played was a Mario theme, I was only half interested until I started playing. Boy was I hooked.

Finally put up that logo that Lullaby put up in the early pages, at least. That logo seems cool.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #724 (ISO) » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:28 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

The difference of EM Sandbox/Town of Salem/every mafia app ever between mafiascum/EM comp is that the former are more of "fun" oriented and the latter is more of "competition" oriented.
There will always be more casual players than "professional" players when it comes to gaming of any sort and simpler fun oriented games will be more likely to gain an attraction of the casual players.

I personally believe that's why EM is so attractive for someone who wants to try out mafia games. Sandbox is there for fun oriented games and comp is there for competition oriented games, with training lobby as a "tutorial" games.

Looking at our structures, we do have a newbie games for a tutorial games.
Now the rest of the queue. Can they be separated as fun oriented or competition oriented?

I guess Normals/Opens should go into competition oriented games and Micro/Themes should go into fun oriented games.
But in reality, that's not true in this site. Every games in this site can be easily turn into overly-competitive games which a casual players hates and fears.

I think this is where we should focus our attention on: How can we make our games more fun-oriented? Or at least, how can we provide players a fun-oriented games that doesn't go full overly-competitive games with a flip of a switch?

(Oh btw, "Annual Mafia Competition for Fun" isn't it. It makes everything worse.)
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae

Return to “Mafia Discussion”