OC mafia?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
yoloswag123
yoloswag123
Goon
yoloswag123
Goon
Goon

OC mafia?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Post by yoloswag123 »

Hmm browsing on this site for a long time I have noticed a lack of absence of OC mafia. What i'm asking is that is it even allowed here and has it ever been played here? What are your guys thoughts on OC?

For those who don't know OC means outside contact(i.e you can talk to anyone outside thread)
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 0, yoloswag123 wrote:Hmm browsing on this site for a long time I have noticed a lack of absence of OC mafia. What i'm asking is that is it even allowed here and has it ever been played here? What are your guys thoughts on OC?

For those who don't know OC means outside contact(i.e you can talk to anyone outside thread)

It's been run. Not many times, there are no rules baring it from the theme queues though.
Taking a break from the site.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Post by eyestott »

When I can, Im considering running a game where the actual game thread is only for votes, and all communication is done in 1 on 1 QTs made for each combination of players. I dont know how that would work, though.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2, eyestott wrote:When I can, Im considering running a game where the actual game thread is only for votes, and all communication is done in 1 on 1 QTs made for each combination of players. I dont know how that would work, though.

that sounds miserable
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Post by zoraster »

CALIFORNIAAAAAAAAAAA
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Post by eyestott »

In post 3, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 2, eyestott wrote:When I can, Im considering running a game where the actual game thread is only for votes, and all communication is done in 1 on 1 QTs made for each combination of players. I dont know how that would work, though.

that sounds miserable

Maybe. Its experimental. It could suck, or it could be great. Dont know unless we try.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I have experience with this if you need help. And Zor ran Anything Goes.
Don't @ me.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Post by saulres »

"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
istott
istott
Goon
istott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Post by istott »

In post 7, saulres wrote:

Oh, ok. Cool then. Was it difficult to moderate?
"istott should be known as the guy who modded a marathon game with no scum and randomised night actions"
-Mathdino
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60156
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Post by saulres »

Not hard to moderate, just a bit difficult to set up.

The problem is that when lurkers lurk, those QTs were awfully dead, making it harder for players to enjoy the game I think. Lurkers hurt regular games, but they really hurt those games. If my memory's correct.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:01 am

Post by eyestott »

In post 9, saulres wrote:Not hard to moderate, just a bit difficult to set up.

The problem is that when lurkers lurk, those QTs were awfully dead, making it harder for players to enjoy the game I think. Lurkers hurt regular games, but they really hurt those games. If my memory's correct.

What if you enforce a requirement for posting in each QT at least semi-regularly?
I also had an idea of a game where each player has one QT they can create. They can add whoever they want into the QT, but no scum QT is provided.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:34 am

Post by zoraster »

the idea of using a QT or private topic (we have our own private topic system on MS that's better than QTs) for every conversation is a very bad idea. Conversations will be lost, but it also means a game of 13 players will have something like 78 private conversations involved.

I think the issue you'll face if you just say "no posting in thread, just votes" and allow other communications is that it depends entirely on how motivated your players are and remain. It requires a large degree of initiative from the vast majority of your players, and I worry that it's unlikely you'll achieve that.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:37 am

Post by eyestott »

I think you misunderstand. I'd never do that kind of thing with more than 7 players. With 13 players, I may do the 1 qt per person thing.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:52 am

Post by Espeonage »

Let me tell you about how they play the game that is not really mafia on Smogon.

The idea is that all voting happens in thread. Discussion can happen in thread but it's rare. The general process is that a little bit of public banter happens in thread and everything else happens usually in chat rooms or via PMs. Any outside communication is allowed, they allow you to quote your PM and take screenshots and everything. As they played more and more of these games a meta started to evolve. Most of the time day one is spent finding someone to lead the town. That is someone that collects all the role PMs of the players in the game and then basically forces players to follow what town sets out lest they be lynched. And the lynching process is weird as well. Almost all voting happens in the last couple hours of the day phase, this is after generally week long day phases. The game has more politics and less scumhunting. Because it eventually develops in to a smalltown variant, the game works more like a puzzle and the scumhunting is in working out if the town leader is actually town or if scum is calling everything. Usually power shifts happen and the charismatic players get at each others throats. Can get boring for the people that aren't game enough to try and take control but still fun if you really stick your neck out. I was never a big fan of their style, but they have a very loyal community of players and it's one of the few places I've seen completely OC games work and they've been playing it for about 8ish years.

Then there is stuff like Anything Goes which is actually really similar although it allows more rule bending.

I've already talked to you via PM and we pointed out that the game you wanted to run was very scum sided so I don't think the 1v1 setup will work, but there is definitely a heap of scope for OC games on mafiascum, I would actually be interested to see if a game made in the same style to smogon would develop in the same way that they do over there or if it would play out normally with bloc voting and then massclaiming to determine the endgame.
Don't @ me.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:06 am

Post by eyestott »

I just realised that this variation could be pretty good for chat mafia.
eyestott
eyestott
Mafia Scum
eyestott
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:08 am

Post by eyestott »

@espeonage: that actually sounds pretty cool. I'm all for modding unique, interesting, (esperimental) setups, so I may mod this kind once I can, and have modded the other games I have in mind.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:59 pm

Post by tn5421 »

egopost