Smalltown: role selection before or after alignments?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Smalltown: role selection before or after alignments?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Post by Quilford »

I'm running a Smalltown game in which roles are chosen by players in draft order... I'm just wondering, should the draft and role selection occur before or after alignments are assigned? I can see arguments for and against doing it either way, but I could be missing something big which makes it a particularly good or bad idea to do it a certain way. Thoughts? What would be preferable for you, as a player?
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Post by Majiffy »

If you're drafting, it should be pre-alignment. Otherwise the setup and player choices can become very predictable and breakable IMO.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:59 pm

Post by N »

When I ran a smalltown, I randomised the alignments before the draft, but didn't actually give them out until after, which is pretty much what Majiffy is suggesting except with extra proof of randomness.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:50 am

Post by Empking »

In post 1, Majiffy wrote:If you're drafting, it should be pre-alignment. Otherwise the setup and player choices can become very predictable and breakable IMO.

How so?
To my mind, the picking of roles should obviously be after alignment. It allows, that way, for the skipping of generic RVS.
Although, obviously, scum shouldn't be able to coordinate their draft picks.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:54 am

Post by Majiffy »

Because roles that have no scum utility such as an alignment cop or a doctor without a vig role would be obvious town. And if they aren't dead by LYLO, obvious scum WIFOM.

Best to draft roles before alignment is known by the players to ensure that the game isn't broken by poor setup mechanics.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:00 am

Post by Empking »

In post 4, Majiffy wrote:Because roles that have no scum utility such as an alignment cop or a doctor without a vig role would be obvious town. And if they aren't dead by LYLO, obvious scum WIFOM.

Mafia is a zero- sum game; without a Serial Killer what the town gains from picking that Doctor (rather than a different role) is exactly the same as Mafia get by denying the town that Doctor.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 4, Majiffy wrote:Because roles that have no scum utility such as an alignment cop or a doctor without a vig role would be obvious town. And if they aren't dead by LYLO, obvious scum WIFOM.

How... scum takes those and they are out of town hands. How many roles would you want to take as scum before essentially "cop/doctor is guaranteed not to exist" as your role

I would say make it like all of the open games that have drafts. Alignment first, because at that point it massively changes what optimal play is. Either way you need to balance it for drafting before or after, as it should be somewhat different.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:56 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Alignments then draft

Cause yknow it actually means something for the draft instead of just picking a role you like
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:06 am

Post by PokerFace »

before everything, ask the players to vote on 'alignment then role' or 'role then alignment' then give out what got more votes

This way if majority of players want to know what they are before they draft then cool and if majority want role and then alignment, also cool

I personally want role than alignment. As I don't think the drafting and picking is fair way to give roles or fair way to avoid RVS given both sides can really want anything

I'll always try to grab vig and then I get 2 kills as scum or 1 kill as town. Scum with 2 kills can get rid of 2 town power roles all on night 1. Town with vig skill means I can kill scum and I don't have to rely on the lynch or worry about the vig being scum since I will already know if they are scum since i am them
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:33 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 8, PokerFace wrote:before everything, ask the players to vote on 'alignment then role' or 'role then alignment' then give out what got more votes

This way if majority of players want to know what they are before they draft then cool and if majority want role and then alignment, also cool

don't do this - you need to decide beforehand, because when the roles are given out affects how you want to balance your game
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Post by Quilford »

I definitely designed with alignment then role in mind, it was only when I looked at The Fonz's Smalltown game I was in a while back that I saw that it had been done the other way, so I was unsure if I was missing some persuasive argument for doing it one way or the other.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”