Quick Chat about FFA and close to FFA.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Quick Chat about FFA and close to FFA.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Post by Espeonage »

So Free For All games are more commonly being played on other sites and being labelled as mafia despite not properly being mafia.

The main question I'm asking is, at what point is a game unrunnable as a mafia game?

If I have a 16 player game with four factions of three that know each other and a town of four players that don't know each other. Provided the game were to maintain some semblence of balance would that be runnable? It's not true FFA as there is a town, and the town is larger than any other faction in the game, but also does not make up half the playerlist.

Would that be mafia?

Does town need to make up more than 50% of the players in the game?
I'm sure that 3/3/3/8 is balanceable, swingy as hell but balanceable. However it also features a town that is less than half the playerlist.
Don't @ me.
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Post by ZZZX »

Q 3/3/3/8 can be do-able if you do not give all factions nks etc. And is a type of mafia. But as faction s incress it becomes another kind of game of faction v faction madness with 5nks per night (like a theme in po online I played called knights. 4 factions and in the first night half the pl dies. That is not mafia IMO.
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Check out my Oz Mafia. I've done some other setups with larger-numbers-of-factions as well.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 0, Espeonage wrote:If I have a 16 player game with four factions of three that know each other and a town of four players that don't know each other.
Provided the game were to maintain some semblence of balance
would that be runnable?

see.......that's the catch

i don't really think that's feasible. and a town of 4 with 12 scum is really.... goofy.

i think you're a lot better off running this as a mish mash.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I'm not sure the "uninformed majority" aspect means total majority or just plurality.
green shirt thursdays
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:26 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

isn't that game called spy hunt standing down, or something?
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:28 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Personally I think it's probably mafia up to the point where it's no longer beneficial to look town, wherein it becomes something similar but not reeeally a mafia game. exceptions if it happens near the very end of the game and stuff like that.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 4, xRECKONERx wrote:I'm not sure the "uninformed majority" aspect means total majority or just plurality.

I think plurality is fine as long as town still has a chance to win. As long as each side has a balanced chance at winning its doable. Plus if you want to be technical, Scum group A does not know scum group B so everyone is part of and uninformed majority to some degree. And as long as you have at least 1 informed minority vs an uninformed majority, I think you are good
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:54 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

3v3v3 nightless

everyone is a 1-shot desperado
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 4, xRECKONERx wrote:I'm not sure the "uninformed majority" aspect means total majority or just plurality.
Games with Town as a plurality are IME very bad games for Town.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Post by Espeonage »

What about a game where the games starts like a mafia game but the final idea is either for town to win quickly or to be recruited to the winning side.

So like two or three cult recruiters with restrictions for the sake of balance. Where if town doesn't get one early then they will be wanting to be recruited to whoever is winning.

It starts mafia, but the endgame is very likely to be not.
Don't @ me.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:14 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

That's the case with any game that includes a cult.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:13 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 10, Espeonage wrote:What about a game where the games starts like a mafia game but the final idea is either for town to win quickly or to be recruited to the winning side.

So like two or three cult recruiters with restrictions for the sake of balance. Where if town doesn't get one early then they will be wanting to be recruited to whoever is winning.

It starts mafia, but the endgame is very likely to be not.

The problem is that town can play to win as a pending cult recruit. There is little incentive to 'win quickly' when they can hope to join the cult, screw over whoever they want from winning, and win later on for much less investment.

All the recruiter has to do is hide/survive, unless there are mechanics in place to 'pass on' the recruitment ability in which case town is in even more trouble.

I like the occasional cult game, especially when it is well-done and the 'leftover townies' are not summarily brought into the cult for a win. That defeats the whole point of 'play-to-win'.

But I digress. I think that, if done well, a plurality town faction could work, but those are generally quirky games to begin with (the original Choose Your Side had a plurality town).
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”