playing on mafiascum after playing with 72hr days

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
choof
choof
Mafia Scum
choof
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

playing on mafiascum after playing with 72hr days

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:39 am

Post by choof »

so, I'm sure that the people I've played with on mafiascum have gone crazy because of my antics (aka bad play in regards to how mafia is played on mafiascum), and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. the two sites I currently play mafia on use 72 hour day phases, 24 hour night phases, so everything is very fast paced: craziness is encouraged because it's easier to exploit someone's emotions when they're being attacked with non-stop posts and/or plays that don't fit into a supposed win-con. it's easier to slip up when you're trying to keep up with someone attacking you in a short game than a long game.

but there's an apparent disconnect between my general playstyle and mafiascum's collective playstyle. am I missing something? if you could sum up mafiascum's approach to mafia in a few sentences, how would you do so?

and to those that have played with me, or are going to inevitably read my meta due to this thread, godspeed
ignore all posts pre '21

this is not a glitch
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 am

Post by Magua »

Mafiascum's style is slower. In comparison to some sites, much slower. This isn't a good or bad thing, just a difference.

Mafiascum's setup style is
usually
slanted towards allowing more lynches with less information, or: emphasize Day play more than Night play.

There are, of course, exceptions on both sides of these generalizations.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:22 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 1, Magua wrote:Mafiascum's style is slower. In comparison to some sites, much slower. This isn't a good or bad thing, just a difference.

^

As a general rule, focus more on analytical gameplay / casebuilding than quick reactions on MS. You'll have more success.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Fairly confident this is game related btw
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
choof
choof
Mafia Scum
choof
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Post by choof »

it's not related to any games in particular but it is related to my gameplay because I feel like I'm really fuckin bad at mafia in the form it's presented on this site
ignore all posts pre '21

this is not a glitch
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

In post 0, choof wrote:so, I'm sure that the people I've played with on mafiascum have gone crazy because of my antics (aka bad play in regards to how mafia is played on mafiascum), and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. the two sites I currently play mafia on use 72 hour day phases, 24 hour night phases, so everything is very fast paced: craziness is encouraged because it's easier to exploit someone's emotions when they're being attacked with non-stop posts and/or plays that don't fit into a supposed win-con. it's easier to slip up when you're trying to keep up with someone attacking you in a short game than a long game.

but there's an apparent disconnect between my general playstyle and mafiascum's collective playstyle. am I missing something? if you could sum up mafiascum's approach to mafia in a few sentences, how would you do so?

and to those that have played with me, or are going to inevitably read my meta due to this thread, godspeed

Mafiascum is has a slower pace to it... more like a slow burn. It makes the games more intellectual.

The best thing you can do is keep playing; you'll get accustomed if you keep at it. Just be open to changing if you need to
2023 W/L | 1-0
Tere
Tere
Mafia Scum
Tere
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:20 am

Post by Tere »

I've come from a site which often operates with a 24/12 set up, and I agree the play is MUCH slower here. I think the hammer system rather than lynch up till deadline makes for a more thoughtful game with less shenanigans too. I hate last minute shenannies in timed games though, so that's my prejudice talking.

I think just see it for what it is, and don't go for the emotional pushes and the like, or certainly not the ones that need instantaneous reactions to work. It's much easier for people to step away and take a breather here versus a timed game, and so that style is IMO less effective anyway.

Personally I find it quite refreshing! :)
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:05 am

Post by Titus »

In post 4, choof wrote:it's not related to any games in particular but it is related to my gameplay because I feel like I'm really fuckin bad at mafia in the form it's presented on this site

I have the same issue. Deductions are required very fast on those sites. If you do not say what you think, you lose it.

Yet here the slowest more deliberate people tend to be better.

I tend to rapid think early on or under pressure because its more natural to me. Doubly so if I feel I am in a conversation or get what is going on. Later in the game, you have to slow down. There's not as many players so not as much that needs analysis right then.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:06 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 6, Tere wrote:I hate last minute shenannies in timed games though

I think they're entertaining. :twisted:

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 0, choof wrote:but there's an apparent disconnect between my general playstyle and mafiascum's collective playstyle. am I missing something? if you could sum up mafiascum's approach to mafia in a few sentences, how would you do so?

Your quick approach isn't likely to work here because in a given game I might check the thread once every two days or so.

Any zany antics you have planned aren't going to work if I have time to consider all the possibilities with my scumpals.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:33 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

The most annoying thing about the shorter day phases I play off-site is that if you get caught viewing the thread and not posting for any length of time, you get called out for "lurking".
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Post by Psyche »

i wish there were a tradition of midlength games here to complement the long ones and the marathons
i'm sure that the demand is there!
choof
choof
Mafia Scum
choof
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Post by choof »

thanks for the replies, I'm going to try and fix my play style to reflect a more analytic approach
ignore all posts pre '21

this is not a glitch
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:58 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 11, Psyche wrote:i wish there were a tradition of midlength games here to complement the long ones and the marathons
i'm sure that the demand is there!

Run one in the micro queue? If my schedule is light I'd play it.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Yeah micros are relatively quick and I've seen plenty with 7 day dayphases.

||
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:56 am

Post by Psyche »

oh yeah!
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

what sites did you play on, choof?
Art is cool.
Zymf
Zymf
Goon
Zymf
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Post by Zymf »

In post 6, Tere wrote:I've come from a site which often operates with a 24/12 set up
Yea, me to. Though mostly 24/24.

I don't particularly prefer long days more than short days or vice versa. It's not like you don't have enough time to post what's needed, but you'll have to be observant about the time and not stay afk for more than a day. On the other side, it makes for a much more "action-packed" experience.

When I hosted my first game on myanimelist.com, I didn't even know forum mafia was even a thing, so I thought I had come up with something unique xD (I had only played mafia IRL)
choof
choof
Mafia Scum
choof
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:45 am

Post by choof »

In post 16, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:what sites did you play on, choof?

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz ... y.php?f=47

also playing my first game on a second site, 48/24 day/night phases
ignore all posts pre '21

this is not a glitch
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 0, choof wrote:so, I'm sure that the people I've played with on mafiascum have gone crazy because of my antics (aka bad play in regards to how mafia is played on mafiascum), and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. the two sites I currently play mafia on use 72 hour day phases, 24 hour night phases, so everything is very fast paced: craziness is encouraged because it's easier to exploit someone's emotions when they're being attacked with non-stop posts and/or plays that don't fit into a supposed win-con. it's easier to slip up when you're trying to keep up with someone attacking you in a short game than a long game.

the original site I played on had 12 hour days and 12 hour nights so i can relate.

ma has taught me a lot of things like when I came here I was sooooooooo against claiming outright as town but then I met kuribo and nasty rash. I used to hate gambits but now I am a bit more forgiving if I can discern the motivations behind them.

remain open to learning from others and you will do fine. hth
whew!
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:36 am

Post by tn5421 »

In post 18, choof wrote:
In post 16, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:what sites did you play on, choof?

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz ... y.php?f=47

also playing my first game on a second site, 48/24 day/night phases

holy shit, flashflashrevolution has a mafia subforum?

I used to play this a long time ago (just checked, my ffr rating is still above 50k EDIT: 68k out of 1.9m)
Last edited by tn5421 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIP
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:39 am

Post by ZZZX »

In post 4, choof wrote:it's not related to any games in particular but it is related to my gameplay because I feel like I'm really fuckin bad at mafia in the form it's presented on this site

used to play at 10 minutes days for 3 years. ull get used to it :P
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
Suzune
Suzune
Mafia Scum
Suzune
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:37 am

Post by Suzune »

I think you just gradually get used to it. Where I used to play we had twenty four hour phases for day and night. So it has been quite a jump having two week phases. However, slowly I am beginning to see the beauty in it and the quick games I used to play are now not detailed enough. I worried that there would be nothing to talk about but there is always something. I think it makes you more involved in the game as well, since you are dedicating so much time to the game, you become more invested in the results.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”