Bastard games - does anyone actually like them?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Dont rebalance games on the fly. Not a hard concept. If you made a shit setup, you made a shit setup. Swallow the pill and take a swig.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Post by ZZZX »

In post 25, Majiffy wrote:Dont rebalance games on the fly. Not a hard concept. If you made a shit setup, you made a shit setup. Swallow the pill and take a swig.

Is this talking about my setup? o.o
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:19 am

Post by Muffin »

I like bastard games every now and then because people go into them with a different attitude.

I find sometimes people get SUUUUPER invested in the outcome of the game and things get nasty. I myself have been guilty of this and it's something I am trying to stop doing.

Bastard games tend to have a more collegial, light-hearted atmosphere that makes a nice break from srs bsns large themes or whatever.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:39 am

Post by PokerFace »

I like bastard mafia games a lot

What you played was a bastard mod game

There's a difference. One is fun for all, heavily swingy but somewhat balanced. The other is something I'd never run or play
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:48 am

Post by quadz08 »

that is a vocabulary distinction I have never seen made before?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:57 am

Post by Vampirate »

In post 28, PokerFace wrote:I like bastard mafia games a lot

What you played was a bastard mod game

There's a difference. One is fun for all, heavily swingy but somewhat balanced. The other is something I'd never run or play

Thing is when it comes to bastard games the line is subjective. But i'll repeat myself, the bastardization has to fit in with the theme of the game.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
ArcAngel9
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
ArcAngel9
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:59 am

Post by ArcAngel9 »

My understand about bastard games is having roles that are not normal and have some extreme effects. Bastard doesn't mean improper games.. the right term is imbalanced game. Your example doesn't make any sense, It is not a mafia. No mod would ever one to run a game like that and feel good about it. I wont even care to sign up such games. Like others said.. Bastard games are fun becuz of the geeky roles not because it is unplayable.

No body wants to play a game that is unplayable.
I
n
a
t
i
m
e
o
f
a
n
c
i
e
n
t
g
o
d
s
w
a
r
l
o
r
d
s
a
n
d
k
i
n
g
s
a
l
a
n
d
i
n
t
u
r
m
o
i
l
c
r
i
e
d
o
u
t
f
o
r
a
h
e
r
o
S
h
e
w
a
s
X
e
n
a
a
m
i
g
h
t
y
p
r
i
n
c
e
s
s
f
o
r
g
e
d
i
n
t
h
e
h
e
a
t
o
f
b
a
t
t
l
e
T
h
e
p
o
w
e
r
t
h
e
p
a
s
s
i
o
n
t
h
e
d
a
n
g
e
r
H
e
r
c
o
u
r
a
g
e
w
i
l
l
c
h
a
n
g
e
t
h
e
w
o
r
l
d
-
Xena Warrior Princess, Coming Soon!!
Cthulhu Dreaming
Cthulhu Dreaming
Goon
Cthulhu Dreaming
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:42 am

Post by Cthulhu Dreaming »

In post 31, ArcAngel9 wrote:My understand about bastard games is having roles that are not normal and have some extreme effects. Bastard doesn't mean improper games.. the right term is imbalanced game. Your example doesn't make any sense, It is not a mafia. No mod would ever one to run a game like that and feel good about it. I wont even care to sign up such games. Like others said.. Bastard games are fun becuz of the geeky roles not because it is unplayable.

No body wants to play a game that is unplayable.

Total agreement with everything here. I would never have signed up for that particular game had I known what was in store - nor am I the least bit interested in playing a game that the particular mod has anything to do with.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 21, Vi wrote:Giving the scum information about the setup is always delicate business, though - although most scum won't use the information properly anyway, being risk-averse and etc.

Giving players incremental information about the setup is good design in certain cases. Same with giving it to townies.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Also, ITT people bashing bastard games who are okay with things like Godfather, Ninja, etc.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Post by BROseidon »

A really important thing is expected outcomes. If a player expects X, they should generally get X when it comes to information, this includes:

1) Their role PM being honest
2) The mod being honest about given information (i.e., a cop inno is, in fact, confirmed town)
3) Actions resolving the way the mod says they would (and the mod being willing to answer all hypothetical resolution questions, regardless of the role's presence in the game)

A big thing with #2 is that if you want to include something like a GF, you can tell the cop that a GF exists in the game so that they KNOW their innocents have a certain % of being false. Because you know what really sucks? When town loses a game because a cop investigated a GF; it's not fun for anyone involved.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Post by BROseidon »

(Also, things that strongly defy expectations like scum getting a daykill are kind of borderline)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:23 am

Post by Vi »

In post 33, BROseidon wrote:
In post 21, Vi wrote:Giving the scum information about the setup is always delicate business, though - although most scum won't use the information properly anyway, being risk-averse and etc.
Giving players incremental information about the setup is good design in certain cases. Same with giving it to townies.
I don't disagree, but I'm saying that it's easy to do poorly. But, isn't all game design that way? The difference is that ba*d games are the type where the moderator intentionally goes into unknown or risky design territory.

(Also, things that strongly defy expectations like scum getting a daykill are kind of borderline)
I disagree. One of the core rules of my games and others from when these sorts of games were commonplace is that
confirmed role != confirmed alignment

The problem with scum daykills is that you have to balance a setup around them. Do that poorly, and the Town won't have a chance; when that comes out in postgame your game will get torn apart. However, it's worth it to subvert the meta that
dayvigs are always pro-Town
(because that's true so often that nobody questions it).

1) Their role PM being honest
2) The mod being honest about given information (i.e., a cop inno is, in fact, confirmed town)
3) Actions resolving the way the mod says they would (and the mod being willing to answer all hypothetical resolution questions, regardless of the role's presence in the game)
These are actually in diminishing order of what I would consider important as a player.

Mod notes on Role PMs (e.g.
Mod note: Role does not actually do anything.
) are a lot funnier to the moderator than they are to a player, and if there's any reason to disbelieve the role I would be polite enough to use fuzzy language in the Role PM - though I do that a lot anyway.

The expectation that the moderator is always telling
the truth
is not a good one because Godfathers (or if you have a classy mod, Tailors) and (much less common outside more wacky Themes) Redirectors exist and they have for a long time, so there's really not much of an excuse for at least considering it. SIDEBAR 1: If you're concerned about this as a mod, it may be interesting to tell a player that no roles exist that can falsify a Cop's results. SIDEBAR 2: Ninja is a dumb role because Tracker was originally a Cop Lite, i.e. the idea was that the role was weaker than Cop on its own and Godfathers/Millers were not necessary to weaken it further. Ditto Gunsmith but for different reasons (you don't see "Paranoid Gunsmith").

Action resolution is something that should generally be self-explanatory for a role in isolation, but usually gets muddied when someone
else
claims a seemingly implausible role. In that case, the moderator is under no obligation to answer these things directly beyond "how do you think this role works? it works like you say" until the role's existence and its effects are confirmed.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:47 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Bastard games work best when the bastardness is in the setup, not in the moderation style.

I liked Worst Role Mafia (the one I played in, IIRC the first), despite unquestionably being bastard. It was entirely possible to scumhunt, you could have a pretty good idea of how most of your actions would affect the game, and there weren't that many instances of people getting screwed over by things they couldn't possibly have known about (at one point, my faction was hurt by an unlucky result on a random role, but we managed to win anyway).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 37, Vi wrote:However, it's worth it to subvert the meta that dayvigs are always pro-Town (because that's true so often that nobody questions it).

This is honestly fine. Vig effectively being "IC at the cost of a player" is an interesting role.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:55 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 37, Vi wrote:The expectation that the moderator is always telling the truth is not a good one because Godfathers (or if you have a classy mod, Tailors) and (much less common outside more wacky Themes) Redirectors exist and they have for a long time, so there's really not much of an excuse for at least considering it. SIDEBAR 1: If you're concerned about this as a mod, it may be interesting to tell a player that no roles exist that can falsify a Cop's results. SIDEBAR 2: Ninja is a dumb role because Tracker was originally a Cop Lite, i.e. the idea was that the role was weaker than Cop on its own and Godfathers/Millers were not necessary to weaken it further. Ditto Gunsmith but for different reasons (you don't see "Paranoid Gunsmith").

You missed the part where I said that Godfathers should be considered bastard (and the only reason they aren't is because of site norms, not because of game design principles). Godfather is a really shitty role; using it is honestly shitty-ass modding.

The redirector thing is solved by returning investigative results as "X is blank" or "X went Y" so that redirects are "caught" by the investigator. Yeah, this gimps redirector a bit, but it gimps it in a good way that prevents the role from being unfun to deal with in edge cases.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:55 pm

Post by BROseidon »

A cop hitting a godfather or being redirected off scum to get an inno without realizing it is always a bad result, imo.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:52 am

Post by Vi »

I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree. In a vacuum, results should be accurate. However, for the Cop and no other role, the assumption can be made that your results are not always accurate because of the existence of relatively common roles that specifically falsify Cop results. I'd also add that one weakness of most Mafia games is that it's not known at the beginning of the game which elements are in the game (e.g. whether there is a chance that there is a Godfather). Thus, if it concerns you so much, a solution that satisfies all parties would be for the moderator to specify that there may be roles that can falsify results in the game.

...but most people would assume that anyway.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:25 am

Post by BROseidon »

If there were a godfather and cop in any game that I'm in, the cop would be told that a godfather exists at the start. Not doing that is objectively bad game design.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:44 am

Post by quadz08 »

I think it is subjectively bad game design, actually, but I don't think you're making a bad point
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:56 am

Post by BROseidon »

I mean, everything in game design is subjective in as much as fun is subjective.

That said, nobody has ever said "I feel really great about that time I won because the cop investigated me and I was a godfather. That was the pinnacle of a fun game."
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:53 am

Post by FakeGod »

but then andrew94 vigged a cop inno who flips godfather

I bet he felt like the god of scumhunting in that moment
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Tere
Tere
Mafia Scum
Tere
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:41 pm

Post by Tere »

I think it depends if you are working in a site meta where godfather is common. I've done that, but I get the impression it's less common in MS. So down to individual preferences.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 45, BROseidon wrote:I mean, everything in game design is subjective in as much as fun is subjective.

That said, nobody has ever said "I feel really great about that time I won because the cop investigated me and I was a godfather. That was the pinnacle of a fun game."

you're someone who gets a lot of enjoyment out of figuring out a game and deducing everything that is happening

I, on the other hand, enjoy manipulating my surroundings and getting the result I want. I never consider information to be confirmed until the player flips. godfathers are always possible in explicitly not-normal games.

Godfather is just a hard counter to a cop, the same way a doctor is a hard counter to mafia or a bulletproof is a hard counter to a vig.

I think you find GF to be bad design because it introduces a facet of the game you don't like, not because it's objectively bad design.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

A rolestopper for cops is more akin to a doctor, and an ascetic is more analogous to a bulletproof

Even a strongman isn't quite like a godfather, since it'd be immediately clear to a doctor their protection was tampered with

An unannounced godfather is just a shitty role

Return to “Mafia Discussion”