Firstly, new roles!
- To make it clearer which roles can be used for which alignment/s, the list of explicitly Normal roles has been split into Town/Mafia/Serial Killer
- The following roles and modifiers have now been included as explicitly Normal: Voyeur, Follower, Motion Detector, Commuter, Vanilla Cop, Rolestopper, Universal Backup, Friendly Neighbor, Ninja, Enabler, Ascetic
- The following roles and modifiers have been removed from the explicitly Normal list: Hider, Doublevoter, Compulsive (Note this does not mean they are explicitly not-Normal)
- The following roles and modifiers have been added to the explicitly non-Normal list: Vanillaizer, Beloved Princess, Arsonist, Governor, Delayed
- Many other explicitly Normal roles have been formally standardised, including Traitor
- All Normal roles now have a "Normal Guidelines" subheading on their wiki page
And some other things!
- All kill flavor must be the same, and should avoid giving any extra information. For most Normal games, kill flavor is along the lines of "died during the night", "was found dead this morning", or even simply just "died".
- Unless stated otherwise in their rules, games should use Natural Action Resolution.
- Previously, mods were allowed to resolve missed night actions randomly if it was publicly stated beforehand; this, along with any other form of randomness in action resolution, is no longer allowed.
- Changes to the day/night cycle (eg
Nightless orNight-Start) are allowed, as long as it is announced beforehand.
These changes will only affect new mods signing up from today. It does not affect any current games. This does not affect games already in review, nor if you can prove you were already designing your setup before this announcement.
Update 5 July 2015
Some more (minor) changes have been made to the guidelines. Again, this only affects any games that have not begun design.
- Any new roles (i.e., not on the wiki) should flip with their full role pm (redactions permitted)
- Rolecops investigating a new role (i.e., one not of the wiki) should receive the full role pm (minus alignment, redactions permitted) as their result
- Neapolitan is considered a Normal role
- Millers can only be Town-aligned
Update 9 November 2015
For any games entering review from this point forward, Vigilantes can only be town-aligned.
Update 5 February 2016
Two changes! These apply to any setup not already passed review.
- All games must have a continous day/night cycle (e.g., no Nightless or Double Day).
- Night Specific is a whitelisted modifier.
Update 1 April 2016
Godfather has been moved to the blacklist. This will be effective for any setups which have not yet been sent to me for review. (i.e., this does not affect any moderators or games currently in the queue)
Update 7 May 2016
- Althought it has always been unofficially part of the guidelines, "Mafia must specify which member is performing the factional kill each night. Mods may choose whether or not to allow Mafia power roles to perform their action as well as their factional kill on the same night or not, and should list this choice in their rules" has now been added to the wiki page.
- Balance is now explicitly part of being Normal, and so "normalcy-only reviews" will no longer be offered. This does not affect any games which have already passed review.