Indicative of Alignment?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Indicative of Alignment?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:06 am

Post by Wake1 »

We hear this frequently, and few if any people have it pinned down. By this I mean what exactly is alignment-indicative.

Maybe we can start—together—trying to do just that?

1)
Effort is not indicative of alignment (True, yet it feels—at least on a subconscious level—that you gut Townread for putting in a lot of effort).

2)
Truth-telling? Personally as Scum I try to be honest on everything, besides the bit about being Scum.

That's a couple things. What else can we list? What exactly should we be focusing on when it comes to alignment? It just feels like no one really has a collective opinion on this, so we end up seeing tons of different players having different ideas and opinions on it.
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:13 am

Post by Quilford »

Something is alignment-indicative if it plausibly relates to how much a player knows or doesn't know about the alignments of others.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:13 am

Post by Titus »

Wake, noble ideal, impossible in reality. It's all player specific.

For instance some put in more effort as one alignment or the other. Others don't.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:30 am

Post by SilverWolf »

It's game dependent, role dependent, player dependent. I used to think town never lies. I have been proven wrong on that a few times now. The problem is, boxing yourself into any set rule of how scum or town will behave is doomed to failure.

Maybe my best way of looking at it, is to try to see if someone is being genuine or not which is hard to fake for the whole game and is easy to do if you are town.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:59 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 3, SilverWolf wrote:It's game dependent, role dependent, player dependent. I used to think town never lies. I have been proven wrong on that a few times now. The problem is, boxing yourself into any set rule of how scum or town will behave is doomed to failure.

People who lie as town as generally terrible players, especially during a normal game where a PR can die without impairing the survival of town too much.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:40 am

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 4, Otolia wrote:
In post 3, SilverWolf wrote:It's game dependent, role dependent, player dependent. I used to think town never lies. I have been proven wrong on that a few times now. The problem is, boxing yourself into any set rule of how scum or town will behave is doomed to failure.

People who lie as town as generally terrible players, especially during a normal game where a PR can die without impairing the survival of town too much.

I never lie as town but I don't gambit either. I've seen town gambit and fakeclaim as a BP for example to draw the NK. It's super risky if there is an actually role in the game they are claiming which is why I don't like it if town lies.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 2, Titus wrote:Wake, noble ideal, impossible in reality. It's all player specific.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Tere
Tere
Mafia Scum
Tere
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Post by Tere »

In post 6, Majiffy wrote:
In post 2, Titus wrote:Wake, noble ideal, impossible in reality. It's all player specific.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 3, SilverWolf wrote:try to see if someone is being genuine or not

Scum can be genuine too, especially when you catch them with wrong reason.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 5, SilverWolf wrote:
In post 4, Otolia wrote:

I never lie as town but I don't gambit either. I've seen town gambit and fakeclaim as a BP for example to draw the NK. It's super risky if there is an actually role in the game they are claiming which is why I don't like it if town lies.

Each player judges it for themselves. I showed you an ideal BP gambit a few months ago off-site. I've also added a BP to a cop claim. BP is a favorite gambit of mine because it has low risk to town and high risk to scum. Certain conditions must be met, but the idea behind gambiting is to have it be a low risk gambit. How bad will town be hurt by said gambit?
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 am

Post by MattP »

Yeah, I was a hider once and claimed cop because it allowed me to claim my targets beforehand and attract the NK from scum. I'm sure that could have ended poorly, but it didn't.
SlappyKrust
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 8, GuyInFreezer wrote:
In post 3, SilverWolf wrote:try to see if someone is being genuine or not

Scum can be genuine too, especially when you catch them with wrong reason.

Good point!! It's happened to me before.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 9, Titus wrote:
In post 5, SilverWolf wrote:
In post 4, Otolia wrote:

Each player judges it for themselves. I showed you an ideal BP gambit a few months ago off-site. I've also added a BP to a cop claim. BP is a favorite gambit of mine because it has low risk to town and high risk to scum. Certain conditions must be met, but the idea behind gambiting is to have it be a low risk gambit. How bad will town be hurt by said gambit?

Yeah, I remember that one. I just finished a game where House gambited as 1-shot BP by ccing a cop claim from ika who was fakeclaiming like he does as town. He was trying to draw the NK but what if ika would of been the real cop?

That's why I don't like gambits as town. As scum, who cares? Gambit, lie, have fun. As town, I just don't like it. An exception might be if I was doc in certain newbie set-ups and I had to claim. Then I could say doc OR BP and it would work for some of those set-ups without outing the other PR and would WIFOM scum into not knowing if they should shoot you or not.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 12, SilverWolf wrote:Yeah, I remember that one. I just finished a game where House gambited as 1-shot BP by ccing a cop claim from ika who was fakeclaiming like he does as town. He was trying to draw the NK but what if ika would of been the real cop?

Based on experience, I have a suggested maxim: "if two people claim the same powerful pro-town role, it's more likely that neither of them has it than both of them have it". (I've seen this both with both players as town, and with both players as scum.)

EDIT: Err, in one case one of them was actually a Mafia Cop, but that role is sufficiently close to Mafia Goon that it doesn't really count.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 10, MattP wrote:Yeah, I was a hider once and claimed cop because it allowed me to claim my targets beforehand and attract the NK from scum. I'm sure that could have ended poorly, but it didn't.

I was a hider once and lied about who I was going to target and mafia NKd that person. Could have ended poorly but it didn't :S

You were in that game actually.
fdas
fdas
Watcher
fdas
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Post by fdas »

Something is indicative of alignment iff someone is more likely to preform the action when playing as one alignment when compared to playing as another alignment. A scumtell is something that someone is more likely to do if they were scum than if they were town.
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:50 pm

Post by sthar8 »

In post 1, Quilford wrote:Something is alignment-indicative if it plausibly relates to how much a player knows or doesn't know about the alignments of others.

/thread

In post 5, SilverWolf wrote: I've seen town gambit and fakeclaim as a BP for example to draw the NK.

Does not work.

In post 9, Titus wrote:BP is a favorite gambit of mine because it has low risk to town and high risk to scum.

If only BP weren't a scumclaim 70% of the time and a useless claim 25% of the time.

In post 12, SilverWolf wrote:I just finished a game where House gambited as 1-shot BP by ccing a cop claim from ika who was fakeclaiming like he does as town

:? That would be two players playing atrociously.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat May 02, 2015 7:06 am

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 16, sthar8 wrote:

In post 12, SilverWolf wrote:I just finished a game where House gambited as 1-shot BP by ccing a cop claim from ika who was fakeclaiming like he does as town

:? That would be two players playing atrociously.

Yeah, Luckily town still won that one despite that. But it was a huge distraction. I'm kind of getting sick of fakeclaiming and lying town. I've seen it a lot lately and it kind of sucks, IMO.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”