Players Requesting Removal Pre-Game

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

It's arrogant to think you are what the game needs. Unless you have a near perfect scumhunting record, you are not what the game needs. Just accept your role and play it as optimally as possible.

Lying as town is the most asshole thing you can do.
Art is cool.
Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:15 am

Post by Sajin »

In post 124, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
In post 123, Sajin wrote:
In post 105, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:That's not learning. "Don't lie as town" is something you learn in newbie games.

I have lied about a cop guilty before because town needed some leadership. It completely turned that game around in favor of the town and even got the daykilling mafia member to daykill the serialkiller. Its not always wrong...just usually.

"Well it worked this one time, so it's okay to do it."
^fallacy. Don't promote this behavior.

If you saw that game you would understand. I am not saying because it worked one time it is a good practice either.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:15 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 106, Vampirate wrote:
In post 105, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:That's not learning. "Don't lie as town" is something you learn in newbie games.

Sometimes lying as town is the right thing to do....5% of the time. Yeah it has to be under certain circumstances and the player better know what he/she is doing.

One of the funniest sequences ever:

1) Gif fake claims miller as IC
2) AA9 uses her 1-shot cop on Gif
3) AA9 claims the cop inno at the start of day 2.
4) Gif reveals IC status because everyone was going "wtf this makes no sense"
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:18 am

Post by kuribo »

I've lied about having a guilty on someone. At least twice. (Okay both slots were mastin hydras) They were town and scum won the game because of it.

Of course the difference here is that I was scum because THERE IS NO GOOD FUCKING REASON FOR TOWN TO FAKE GUILTIES

everyone who says that gambits sometimes work is right--- but that doesn't justify it. If you randomly shoot a stranger in the head, sure they MIGHT have been a child molester. But more likely, you just murdered an innocent person and now you're going to prison.

If you have to fake a guilty as town YOU ARE PLAYING BADLY. Find another way to push the lynch you want. Faking a guilty as town shows a lack of imagination as well as teamwork. DONT FUCKING DO IT. NOT TODAY NOT TOMORROW NOT NEVER. It is an OBJECTIVELY STUPID THING TO DO.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:19 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 127, BROseidon wrote:

Sometimes lying as town is the right thing to do....5% of the time. Yeah it has to be under certain circumstances and the player better know what he/she is doing.

I love AA9 to death, but copping a claimed miller is incredibly pointless.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:24 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 128, kuribo wrote:I've lied about having a guilty on someone. At least twice. (Okay both slots were mastin hydras) They were town and scum won the game because of it.

Of course the difference here is that I was scum because THERE IS NO GOOD FUCKING REASON FOR TOWN TO FAKE GUILTIES

everyone who says that gambits sometimes work is right--- but that doesn't justify it. If you randomly shoot a stranger in the head, sure they MIGHT have been a child molester. But more likely, you just murdered an innocent person and now you're going to prison.

If you have to fake a guilty as town YOU ARE PLAYING BADLY. Find another way to push the lynch you want. Faking a guilty as town shows a lack of imagination as well as teamwork. DONT FUCKING DO IT. NOT TODAY NOT TOMORROW NOT NEVER. It is an OBJECTIVELY STUPID THING TO DO.

But people want to be crazy and gambit-ey like you!

Except they don't understand that you are able to gambit and pull crazy shit as town because you know what the fuck you are doing and what the correct standard play is.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:24 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 129, kuribo wrote:

I love AA9 to death, but copping a claimed miller is incredibly pointless.

No T no shade, but both times I've seen AA9 as cop she's picked very bad targets...
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

In post 128, kuribo wrote:I've lied about having a guilty on someone. At least twice. (Okay both slots were mastin hydras) They were town and scum won the game because of it.

I admitted I played badly, I don't know why it needs to be analyzed to death.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Dude, you just made a thread asking about why people WOTC you.

Your gameplay is going to be analyzed as a result.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Post by fferyllt »

oh god that game.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

i was trying to get her to investigate me that game
beefycheese
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Post by ika »

In post 117, Wisdom wrote:arguably you'll get more annoying after titus "teaches" you

^this so much

the player base is going down hill faster and faster with this
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 125, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:Lying as town for hell of it is the most asshole thing you can do.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 132, MonkeyMan576 wrote:

I meant you as in the universal you.

If you took my words to mean they were directed at you personally, then they still apply.

GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

I mean I lie about my claim quite a lot (miller as IC, macho as bomb, cop as tracker, PGO as doctor, 1-shot cop 1-shot jailkeep conditional innocent child JoaT as as mafia roleblocker etc) but I only do so if those fakeclaim helps me further my win condition. In my book it's fine for me for people to pull something weird as long as it contributes to the win condition AND the risk doesn't overshadow reward.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:38 pm

Post by kuribo »

But that's not the same as faking a guilty on someone

One of my favorite fake claims as town was when I saw Fate claim VT during mass claim and then flip doctor. That was a pro-town fake claim.
I've also seen him fake tracker guilties on town players. That's an example of the other kind.

BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:21 am

Post by BROseidon »

Pretty sure faking VT as doctor is just standard...
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:09 am

Post by pieguyn »

I'm probably one of the few people who thinks faking a guilty is valid, *only if* you're competent enough to

1. be correct about it within all reasonable certainty - AKA, as everyone else is saying, you have to be a competent player who knows what the standard play is. 100% of the time, people who fake guilties just bc lol are too incompetent to know when to be able to fake a guilty; it should only be done if you're competent enough to know when you're analyzing a situation objectively and someone really just does have as good a chance of flipping scum as you think
2. be able to identify when you won't be able to get someone lynched via normal means.

I've seen a game (NY167 - this is my assessment of it, YMMV) where a town player faked a guilty and it wound up completely fucking the scum team (who otherwise were in a really good position with a majority of players being lost in The Mist) in the ass bc they all tripped over themselves trying to get out of it and then it snowballed from there. I've also seen a game (Pokemon) where someone faked a guilty and it fucked the whole game. what I'm saying is kind of self-fulfilling in that it amounts to "it's only acceptable if you're right" - but there are some situations where it can be beneficial, if the person who is doing it actually knows how to make that kind of judgement

this is all my opinion and I'm aware I have a very very liberal view of it. /shrug
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:17 am

Post by Kagami »

In post 142, pieguyn wrote:I'm probably one of the few people who thinks faking a guilty is valid, *only if* you're competent enough to

1. be correct about it within all reasonable certainty - AKA, as everyone else is saying, you have to be a competent player who knows what the standard play is. 100% of the time, people who fake guilties just bc lol are too incompetent to know when to be able to fake a guilty; it should only be done if you're competent enough to know when you're analyzing a situation objectively and someone really just does have as good a chance of flipping scum as you think
2. be able to identify when you won't be able to get someone lynched via normal means.

Everyone who thinks faking a guilty is a reasonable thing to do believes they are competent enough for 1 and 2. They're often wrong, based on pretty much every game I've read that's included a faked guilty.

If you're talking about a fake guilty that you then retract before a lynch occurs, there are reasonable arguments for that. If you do though, then you're going to out the real investigator pretty much 100% of the time.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:22 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 142, pieguyn wrote:I'm probably one of the few people who thinks faking a guilty is valid, *only if* you're competent enough to

if you think faking a guilty is valid, you have automatically disqualified yourself from being capable of determining 1 and 2 with reasonable accuracy
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:30 am

Post by pieguyn »

In post 143, Kagami wrote:Everyone who thinks faking a guilty is a reasonable thing to do believes they are competent enough for 1 and 2. They're often wrong, based on pretty much every game I've read that's included a faked guilty.

yeah, exactly

I 100% agree the majority of people who would fake a guilty are by nature too incompetent to know when it would be a valid play as I'm defining it here. I'm not trying to say that it should be a commonplace thing or anything like that.

I'm merely saying that there exist scenarios where it is actually valid, even though they are very rare. to put it in perspective, I think I've seen exactly 2 players, ever, who have faked a guilty in a way I'd consider valid (NY167 was one of them). that is 2 occasions out of probably 1000+ games. that is how much of a ridiculously niche scenario I'm referring to here

I've never faked a guilty, btw (and have only ever considered it once - as it turns out, it would have been on scum, and I was >95% sure said player was scum - but I didn't bc it would have been an extremely poor idea and even if it wasn't I don't even consider that a high enough confidence level). after Pokemon, I likely won't even consider it in the future, either.
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:31 am

Post by Metal Sonic »

In post 144, quadz08 wrote:

if you think faking a guilty is valid, you have automatically disqualified yourself from being capable of determining 1 and 2 with reasonable accuracy

once you fake enough guilties, you'll be able to determine which reactions are from scum and which are from town / :cop:

this is a joke guys.
oopsies! haha!

I've updated my wiki! Check it out!
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:36 am

Post by pieguyn »

there was a game a long time ago where, as far as I've heard (I haven't read it, someone correct me if I'm wrong) Cabd faked a cop inno on ffery bc ffery is just that easy to read and she was being run up anyway for nonsense reasons

that is an example of what I would consider a valid faked result. it only happened because the person doing it was competent enough to be able to be entirely objective about it

all I'm saying here is that there are people who are capable of doing it in certain situations. I'm not saying it shouldn't be extremely rare (as in, almost never happen), but flat-out ruling it out 100% of the time is incorrect.
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:36 am

Post by Metal Sonic »

In post 138, kuribo wrote:
In post 132, MonkeyMan576 wrote:

I meant you as in the universal you.

If you took my words to mean they were directed at you personally, then they still apply.

lol'd hard at this, though.

actually my piece of advice: ALWAYS be responsible and ACKNOWLEDGE when you fuck up. it's that simple.

mafiascum is black and white. flips are binary. you're either right or wrong. if you're right, that's great, keep up the good work. but if you're wrong, apologise, try not to make that mistake again, and learn from it.

everyone makes mistakes. but nobody likes a responsibility dodger. i particularly hate responsibility dodgers -- those who fuck games up and pretend nothing happened/it was someone else's fault.

don't be one. and i think that is fundamental.
oopsies! haha!

Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:39 am

Post by Metal Sonic »

In post 147, pieguyn wrote:there was a game a long time ago where, as far as I've heard (I haven't read it, someone correct me if I'm wrong) Cabd faked a cop inno on ffery bc ffery is just that easy to read and she was being run up anyway for nonsense reasons

that is an example of what I would consider a valid faked result. it only happened because the person doing it was competent enough to be able to be entirely objective about it

all I'm saying here is that there are people who are capable of doing it in certain situations. I'm not saying it shouldn't be extremely rare (as in, almost never happen), but flat-out ruling it out 100% of the time is incorrect.

eh.

there are always exceptions to the rule.

though flips are black and white, the process of the game itself can take infinite variations. the game is grey.

the rule is: "don't fake guilties".

99% of people will have this rule apply to them.

1% of people, or even 0.001% are able to break this rule, and even make it an advantage. i consider myself one of them. but yeah

your statement applies for every guideline on earth or human society.

in short, i think the status quo is OK.
oopsies! haha!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”