Live Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Live Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 am

Post by Benmage »

Hello all. Looks like everything is bustling as usual.

I'm looking to do a live game of Mafia 10-15 people. It's been awhile, so if anyone has some ideas that make it a little simpler on the mod, feel free to post it here or PM me. (FYI Games this weekend)

-One of my biggest issues is night actions!
--If the setup is only semi-open (a list of potential normalish roles) whats a good way to recieve said actions without giving away said role or having massive night delays.

I've only done live a handful of times, as I'm most likely King of the Nerds of my friends... I mean the coolest dur :cool: .. So in the past I've had 10 or less people usually stand in a circle only ever with cop/doc/mafia and ask those roles to open eyes and point out who they want to use their actions on with everyone else obviously eyes closed.

ANYWHOSE... great for any feedback otherwise stay cool all :P :wink:
"ITT Benmage is making Shakespeare look cool. I need to bring you to my high school." -Vi
"If i must blantantly follow somone a player cannot do better than blindly following benmage" - tubby216
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Post by FakeGod »

AITP
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Like, over google plus or what
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 4:18 am

Post by Benmage »

Live as in, in person.. Everyone in the same room, like a mini mafia party... No technology, old school nerdom.
"ITT Benmage is making Shakespeare look cool. I need to bring you to my high school." -Vi
"If i must blantantly follow somone a player cannot do better than blindly following benmage" - tubby216
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 4:49 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

ooh boy

this is awkward
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 4:58 am

Post by saulres »

I've never played F2F, but it seems to me that you'd get the group-actions (scumkill etc.) by doing the close eyes - open eyes - point - close eyes routine.

For the individual actions, give each player, including the VTs and Goons, a set of cards with the same number on them -- so Player 1 gets cards with "1", Player 2 gets cards with "2", etc. At night, have
everyone
write a name on their card secretly and then give the cards to you. You take a minute or two in private to cross-reference those who have actions with what the actions do and then tell everyone the results.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 5:02 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

in the commune, we've found that nightless setups are easier to run, although they're fairly constrictive in terms of setup wackiness.

you could use a whiteboard or "Guilty" and "Innocent" cards for investigative things. that definitely simplifies confusion over cop results.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Shea did something with a pad of paper that worked pretty well. You'd have to ask him the specifics, though.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Friends and Enemies is undoubtedly the best F2F setup imo.

Texting night action probably would speed things up for closed/semi open.

But most semi open we just have the role wake up even if it doesn't exist.
Suzune
Suzune
Mafia Scum
Suzune
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Suzune »

I have played live mafia before over skype. We played without cameras because of the size restriction of Skype and because of general player shyness. We found that it worked out pretty well, games moved quickly and we could easily play one an hour. Skype gave us the change to use the discussion part for the mafia and for submitting night actions. This kept us from having to hang up and recall. The game ran day phases at about twenty minutes and night phases with anywhere from two to ten minutes. Once all actions were submitted then the day would begin. Mafia had day talk ability so they could be discussing separately during the main game. The biggest trick is bandwidth though, the larger the call the more weight.

In personal opinion, the game runs better with less power roles. In fact, playing all vanilla works just fine.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 6, Untrod Tripod wrote:in the commune, we've found that nightless setups are easier to run, although they're fairly constrictive in terms of setup wackiness.

you could use a whiteboard or "Guilty" and "Innocent" cards for investigative things. that definitely simplifies confusion over cop results.

As someone who lives here, fuck nightless setups.
green shirt thursdays
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 4:44 pm

Post by Katsuki »

In post 8, BBmolla wrote:Friends and Enemies is undoubtedly the best F2F setup imo.

SO MUCH THIS

Though I've only ever played this with scummers before. With non-scummers, our roles tend to include witches, docs (angels), vengefuls, cupids, KING (vote for king each day, king has double vote for said day), and I can't remember what else. Obv play with werewolves so much more fun than boring mafia.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 8, BBmolla wrote:But most semi open we just have the role wake up even if it doesn't exist.

Do this the first night, after that you can just wake the PRs up by tapping on their head. Use a stick if the floor is squeaky.
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2015 2:13 am

Post by Soft-spoken »

most methods include unfair tells imo. the "open your eyes and point" thing can give non-visual location ques very easily. no matter how discrete the player is, someone with good hearing and spatial intelligence can pinpoint them.

i like to use small pieces of thick paper. pass them out to everyone during night phase. everyone writes their name on top, and their target below... in such a way where their hand covers what they are writing. VT's write "vanilla" instead of their target.

mafia faction kills are decided on who has the majority of votes, and you can randomize the member that makes the kill between someone that voted in the majority. if no majority is reached, pick a piece of paper at random to decide the mafia who is making the kill and the target.

if you do it this way, there is no unfair tells unless people are careless with their piece of paper.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2015 7:50 am

Post by Benmage »

Appreciate it all, feel free to keep dropping ideas..

The texting one seems interesting.. technology :eek:

I've done the xyz powerroles even if not ingame.

I agree that I wasn't crazy about the pointing thing.

-The paper idea sounds decent. I'm going to think on this... thanks again all
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 13, Soft-spoken wrote:most methods include unfair tells imo. the "open your eyes and point" thing can give non-visual location ques very easily. no matter how discrete the player is, someone with good hearing and spatial intelligence can pinpoint them.

This honestly isn't a problem if people aren't dumb as hell. But then again at mafia meets and my game nights the night is full of trolling which covers up a lot noises.

Blast music if needed. It stops sound tells. Not allowing mafia to discuss kills is super bleh.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Paper idea takes fucking forever. Just saying.
Soft-spoken
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Soft-spoken
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Post by Soft-spoken »

thats a good idea. why didnt i think of music lol
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun May 24, 2015 6:53 am

Post by callforjudgement »

You want to favour day actions over night actions in live Mafia games, they're much easier to mod. (Some amount of night actions will be necessary, though, especially the scum kill. You could play a Nightless, but that deprives the scum of any ability to communicate; frantic hand signals overNight are something of a hallmalk of in-person games.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”