Large game Win Condition HELP PLEASE!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

Making people keep playing after they lost? What is this, a Nikanor game?
To be clear: quack
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Post by N »

playing mafia is losing imo
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

Sort of a little surprised that some people aren't familiar with the type of casual mafia game played on other (non-mafia) forums. Quick day/night phases, GM "hints", etc. have been pretty common.

That's most of the reason why we recommend our newbie games to get people used to our style of mafia games. If you don't want your awesome play to be ruined by a shitty mod hint, then come play at mafiascum.net.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:50 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 27, Kublai Khan wrote:Sort of a little surprised that some people aren't familiar with the type of casual mafia game played on other (non-mafia) forums. Quick day/night phases, GM "hints", etc. have been pretty common.

That's most of the reason why we recommend our newbie games to get people used to our style of mafia games. If you don't want your awesome play to be ruined by a shitty mod hint, then come play at mafiascum.net.

I don't think a single scummer commented on the quick day/night phase. Everyone knows other sites play quicker. And so far as I know, "mod hints" are not so common. Or at least we very rarely hear about it here. So the "surprise" about mod hints is entirely unrelated to quick deadlines.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 4, mark640 wrote:So you think 7 mafia vs 9 townies (in a game which started out as 7 mafia vs 35 townies), resulting in townies winning is fair?

Yes.

Do you know how hard that would be in a realistic scenario for town to lynch correctly every single day

If I knew math I'd calculate the actual odds
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 25, SleepyKrew wrote:Making people keep playing after they lost? What is this, a Nikanor game?

lmao
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:03 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 0, mark640 wrote:Now I don't think a game with this sort of win condition is very fair/balanced for mafia, if mafia can still lose (due to the hints) after playing so well to kill so many civilians.
Small games that goal is fine. Bigger games, it isn't fine IMO.

I believe it would be better if the mafia goal was something like:
Reduce the number of citizens down to 5, while also having at least 1 mafia member survive

if you think it is so unfair or unbalanced, wouldn't the proper solution be to reduce the initial numbers (or change the balance in some other way) rather than change the win con? unless you're going for some reverse white flag thing

EDIT: it seems like you're having issues personally wrapping your head around balance and fairness. there are easy ways to think about this. saulres's is one such example of why your thought process is flawed. another would be, for example, a team in a football (soccer) match being up 2-0 until, say, 80 minutes in then having three consecutive goals scored against them in the last minutes of play. would the losing team still deserve to win for playing better for a majority of the game?

mafia, like most other games, is about who wins the whole thing, not who plays "better" for X amount of time (and that's assuming mafia were even playing a huge part in town lynches, which isn't always the case...)
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
mark640
mark640
Watcher
mark640
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:36 pm

Post by mark640 »

A lot of comments here, seem to think I'm referring to a typical Mafia game.
As opposed to one with GM hints. I'd suggest you all read over this post:
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p6987510

In post 29, BBmolla wrote:
In post 4, mark640 wrote:So you think 7 mafia vs 9 townies (in a game which started out as 7 mafia vs 35 townies), resulting in townies winning is fair?

Yes.

Do you know how hard that would be in a realistic scenario for town to lynch correctly every single day

If I knew math I'd calculate the actual odds

^Comments like that tell me that parts of my original post has been missed (GM hints). Hence, it may be better to actually read all of my posts for further clarification. My original post wasn't clarified very well because at the time of posting, I was somewhat referring to an ongoing game and therefore I couldn't give explicit examples of GM hints.
So I apologise for that.
I've edited my original post, just to show more emphasis on parts which I believe were missed and edited a link into the original post leading to a post I did on this thread, giving examples of what I mean by GM hints.
I don't think it's necessary now for me to answer anybody. As the admin Zoraster has answered my queries adequately.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”