A dilemma I have thought myself into

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 17, Antihero wrote:i'll take that action

there's definitely a difference in early/late game strength for some people. i haven't actually measured it, but i'm pretty sure my late game reads are significantly better than my early ones.

in both of the team mafia games I played/followed, I had fucking god tier early reads (actually perfect in both games -.-) and they got less accurate as the game went on, either due to getting distracted with other players or reevaluating only to incorrectly read scum as town later on. other times, it's the exact opposite - my reads start off no more accurate than average, but get better as the game continues. I haven't figured out which happens more often.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:24 am

Post by Ranmaru »

I love the rvs. If you think rvs shouldn't exist, you should still have an 'early game' to start it off anyway. I mean, you are going to have to:

1. Make accusations/state who you suspect
2. Question/heckle
3. Remain active/engaged

---

I think that is what you need regardless if you think rvs should be a thing or not. It'll start off the game and cause reactions and it'll help scum find targets to mislynch, and it'll help town to possibly spot the scum's intent to find targets to mislynch. This is from experience playing in an offsite mafia site that doesn't use rvs at all.

---

I mean it all links back to the main purpose of town/scum (lynch scum/mislynch town), and the only way to start that is with the three points above, or just randomly lynching like Yosarian says. Better than starting with "Hmm, well, we gotta find scum... let's lynch this guy, just because..." or rather, it'd be less awkward. Although I wonder if any mafia game has started like that?

---

Important question
: What if the rvs/early game had none of those? What if town was lurky, there were no good reactions, and not many accusations, or at least solid ones? Would you say the game is doomed for town, or can it be saved? Is it too late to find reactions from scum, since they may have gotten comfortable? Or will it eventually get into a 'good state' where you can find reactions once something crazier happens in mid-game?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I've seen a "useless day 1" before now (offsite). The game isn't unwinnable for town, but it is a lot harder. The ways the game normally gets started on day 2, if it didn't on day 1, are by either discussing the night 1 nightkill, or else power role results from night 1.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Yukari
Yukari
Goon
Yukari
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:03 am

Post by Yukari »

Far as rvs goes, we like this treatise.

Also as far as ending rvs goes, may not be the best method by a long shot (though it seems we can get away with it due to our meta)but we have effectively ended rvs before via the despised Slayer's gambit.
We self vote and act like a scummy scum, then shortly afterwards a wagon will tend to form on us which gives ppl stuff to analyze/discuss. Far as catching scum goes, meh.. but seems to do a good job of ending the rvs anyways. Still, not for every1 lol.

*braces for hate comments*
@_@
Stare into meta for too long and meta may stare back into you.
Wubba lubba dub dub!
We are now Retired.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:57 am

Post by Espeonage »

Were the bus in rvs stats ever properly calculated. I remember someone having preliminary stats that supported a strong trend for scum to bus in rvs, but I'm not sure if that ever got followed up on.
Don't @ me.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:11 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

I remember a thread showing stats that scum almost never do it.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:20 am

Post by Psyche »

ill add that to the list...