TempBan for Players Who Sign Up and Refuse To Play

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Post by saulres »

I've been told there was a misreference and I should delete this.
Last edited by saulres on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:59 pm

Post by Metal Sonic »

oh yeah gaiden

I forgot about him... As usual
oopsies! haha!

I've updated my wiki! Check it out!
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Kagami »

In post 76, Metal Sonic wrote:oh yeah gaiden

Gaiden is one of the not-so-many players whose name in the playerlist makes me more likely to /in.
SXTLHGaiden
SXTLHGaiden
Mafia Scum
SXTLHGaiden
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Post by SXTLHGaiden »

I honestly don't see how I haven't been WotC'd out of a game yet.
You're not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. S*Gaiden will not make long cases, write stunning insights, or sugar coat his words. He is not the man for multi-paragraph eloquence. He is, however, being honest to a fault, and it comes across in his writing.
- GreyICE
it can help the game for people to be aware that L-1 is L-Gaiden
- popsofctown
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Post by Kagami »

In post 78, SXTLHGaiden wrote:I honestly don't see how I haven't been WotC'd out of a game yet.

Maybe crowds are wiser than you might think~
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Post by Oversoul »

In post 78, SXTLHGaiden wrote:I honestly don't see how I haven't been WotC'd out of a game yet.

Do you even like to play mafia?
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Post by ika »

In post 80, Oversoul wrote:

Do you even like to play mafia?

I think he enjoys the hammer aspect
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:39 pm

Post by Metal Sonic »

In post 77, Kagami wrote:
In post 76, Metal Sonic wrote:oh yeah gaiden

Gaiden is one of the not-so-many players whose name in the playerlist makes me more likely to /in.

I love gaiden too

Adorable as he is

I also don't have the heart to WOTC ika... yet

But these are some players whom fit the bill of ETL's scenario yet are not the ones this is directed against
oopsies! haha!

Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:44 am

Post by Muffin »

Edit, never mind, I'm just gonna WOTC you every chance I get from here on out.
Last edited by Muffin on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Post by Wake1 »

If someone is doing that, then take note of it and spread the word. That sort of behavior is destructive to games and cheapens the experience for everyone. It should be dealt with with WotM and WotC.
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Post by Metal Sonic »

In post 83, Muffin wrote:Edit, never mind, I'm just gonna WOTC you every chance I get from here on out.

who was this referring to?
oopsies! haha!

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:34 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

A lot of people have very different ideas about what constitutes Mafia play.

I've played IRL with people who will basically active lurk and socialize until voting time and are still among the most accurate scumhunters I know.

Point being, working towards wincon isn't easily defined and I for one will admit to constantly fluffposting even in my most invested games.

Maybe there are players who simply don't care about the game, but there's infrastructure in place to deal with them without passing any global rules that will ruin play experience for legitimate players.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:51 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

We give out temp bans for mafia players who out their partners or play against wincon (see most recent ban). This is strictly to players of the mafia alignment, because it doesn't apply to town players. Yet, it's unreasonable to discuss temp-banning town players who refuse to actually play to wincon in this manner?

:?
Art is cool.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:45 am

Post by Wisdom »

The point is you can't prove they're playing against wincon. They might be posting nothing but still read and vote accurately.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:45 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

I'm not talking about people who read and vote. I'm talking about people who blatantly and admittedly do not. I've said this like 5 times now.
Art is cool.
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:24 am

Post by Metal Sonic »

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there are town players that *don't* read and *don't* vote, even if they self-profess to "not give a fuck about the game". It's just that quality is really low
oopsies! haha!

pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:49 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 86, RadiantCowbells wrote:A lot of people have very different ideas about what constitutes Mafia play.

I've played IRL with people who will basically active lurk and socialize until voting time and are still among the most accurate scumhunters I know.

Point being, working towards wincon isn't easily defined and I for one will admit to constantly fluffposting even in my most invested games.

Maybe there are players who simply don't care about the game, but there's infrastructure in place to deal with them without passing any global rules that will ruin play experience for legitimate players.

f2f is very different in the amount and quality of time you spend on a game. in f2f games are pretty short (even tho some might take an hour or 2) in comparison to forum games which can take months. after a big chunk of spare time is spent, there is nothing more frusating than when some1 replaces in and derp votes w/o bothering to read any part of the game or pay attention to the tl;dr version that they asked for and votes (or doesn't vote at all) recklessly while saying "I don't care LULZ" cos this has happened in games that I have been in.
whew!
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Post by Wisdom »

It is frustrating sure, but you can't ask for bans on people because you don't like how they're playing. Just avoid playing with them.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:24 pm

Post by saulres »

In post 91, pirate mollie wrote:nothing more frusating than when some1 replaces in and derp votes w/o bothering to read any part of the game or pay attention to the tl;dr version that they asked for and votes (or doesn't vote at all) recklessly while saying "I don't care LULZ"

In post 92, Wisdom wrote:It is frustrating sure, but you can't ask for bans on people because you don't like how they're playing. Just avoid playing with them.

How do you avoid playing with someone who replaces in? Replace out and give up all the work you've done while making the job harder for the mod?

I did in one game ask for all the player's blacklists before the game started to prevent that sort of thing. The response wasn't great so I didn't repeat but maybe I should.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Post by Kagami »

My opinion is that this problem is rare enough that a special solution isn't really necessary.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by Wisdom »

yeah I don't think there are that many town players who don't read and don't vote - for the rare instances that do exist, blacklist/wotc them and move on.

I understand the problem of them replacing in, but there's nothing you can do about that except hope your mod cares about their playerlist and doesn't let such players get into their games.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Post by Ether »

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but...

The whole point of this thread is to try to
make
that a bannable offense, so saying "this is how it is, there's nothing else you can do" isn't a very good argument.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Post by Kagami »

Except that the action that is proposed to be banned is a valid strategy both for scum and potentially for strong town PRs.

The play described is certainly suboptimal in most cases, but that alone doesn't make it any more ban-worthy than, say, faking guilties as town or self-hammering as scum. Furthermore, immediate enforcement is likely alignment indicative.

If the skittles find this kind of behavior sufficiently prevalent and repugnant, I would think the best solution is to have a "problem scummer" forum in which mods can posit specific people as flakes/trolls/whatever together with links to the offensive behavior. Other mods could use the forum to more effectively WotM the problem players.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Last time I saw WotC can still happen mid-game for a force-replacement.

But yeah even then as people said even though someone go "lol sorry I'm not really playing this" it could be because that person wanted to lurk and not attract attention because he has a godlike PR or something.
Even if he was just loitering around you don't really know and can't really know the motivation of it until post-game. EVEN then it just could've been a result of the bad play such as "I wanted to pretend to be a PR so I can eat NK or something", or even an apathy gained from the first few pages of the game he happened to stumbled when one woke up.

We can't really ban someone for playing specific way because the Mafia game in general is a variable game that doesn't have a specific play for each alignment/role/etc.

Also as others said, the only way the such play can be taken action is by body of work to prove that this certain player has continuously played this way regardless of alignment and playing against win con.

(Also, "Not playing to the win con" vs "Playing against win con" etc etc)
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:41 pm

Post by Sajin »

I think there is a difference between active lurking and not engaging the game.

I do think a player not engaging the game should be replaced as it is simply not fun for the other players in the game. Good games thrive off engagement (well maybe scum like non engaging games).

The problem with this is how a moderator judges non engagement as they have to be willing to treat a scum player and a town player the same way in this situation. I would probably warn the player by PM (probably count it as a prod) and replace them if nothing changed as a moderator. Not every moderator would have some kind of policy like this though.

As a player in this game I would try to coax engagement out of the player. If the player still refused to engage the game, I would lynch the player as a calculated risk. Either they are scum and going to get away with it if not lynched or they are town and they are a bigger threat end game than someone who has followed the game and participated throughout the game and I think the correct play would be to lynch them. Optimally you coax them into engaging through questions and get them in the game so everyone can get into the game.

I don't think wisdom of the crowds mid game should have any input. The moderator should be the only one making any decisions about replacing anyone. As a player in game you must play the hand you are dealt whether it is pocket rockets or a 7 and a 2.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”