People who play your scum meta as town

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

People who play your scum meta as town

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:30 am

Post by Plotinus »

How do you read people who do all those little things that you do as scum, except they do it as town? I’m not talking about someone who is playing objectively scummily but someone who has a collection of little playstyle traits that just happen to coincide with things you tend to do as scum. Maybe it’s little protown things that you only bother to do when you need towncred, or just certain phrases you’ve noticed you’re more likely to use as scum. But you’ve seen this player do all these things in games where they’ve flipped town.

How do you look past all the things that if you were doing them you’d be hoping nobody can read you well enough to know why you’re doing them and read the other player correctly, especially when all these things are probably null tells for them?

(this is about someone in specific but I’m not in any games with them and I don’t want to go into details about what specifically they tend to do.)
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:44 am

Post by Vi »

A mature player will be aware of how certain actions make them look and perform them to suit their purposes regardless of alignment. Now that you know they know what they're doing, it's up to you what to do with that information.

Of course, the idea that they approach the game differently from you is open as well. In that case, you should try finding another way to read them, since your first attempts haven't worked.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Post by zakk »

I don't look past them. I lynch them.
permanently retired

see here for more info
Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Sajin »

You note the case both for and against and judge accordingly. If you always lynch a certain action (or always pardon it) it will leave holes in your analytical game.

I still remember an older player here who was commonly known for misstating his night actions as well as not following day play well (not mentioning any names). It was very frustrating trying to figure out this person's alignment based on these things while in other player's situations I would auto lynch for these things.

However, I did learn to read the player by other tells, in particular his attitude towards the lynch and could read him in a day or two.

There is no set of rules in stone about what scum does. In fact, once these rules are written down, they become invalid by way of scum actively avoiding these tells. Not every player on site is going to be able to fit within your personal perceptions about what scum is or what scum does. If they did....wouldn't every game be ended with perfect lynch records? Clearly that does not happen.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 am

Post by Wisdom »

If you
know
they do these things as town, you ignore it and read them off other things.

If you don't, you lynch them and you find out whether they do it as town.
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:17 am

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 4, Wisdom wrote:If you don't, you lynch them and you find out whether they do it as town.

Or you could, y'know, ask them if they've ever done it as town. Regardless, lynching them is still a valid option if you want to preserve your precious tells.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:23 am

Post by Wisdom »

I don't care for selfmeta. If I've seen them doing it as town, only then I'll ignore it
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:28 am

Post by Brian Skies »

I don't really consider it self meta since you'd be the one asking them. I also don't ask people if they've done things before, but I've seen other people do it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 5, Brian Skies wrote:Or you could, y'know, ask them if they've ever done it as town.

What? In the middle of a game? The answer is going to "yes" regardless.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Post by Vampirate »

In post 8, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 5, Brian Skies wrote:Or you could, y'know, ask them if they've ever done it as town.

I thought this through and while you are correct, then next logical step is 'prove it'?

If you're lying what are you going to say? That's classified information? I don't want to go through the trouble of going through the records?

If you say yes and can't or won't back it up it makes you look like scum.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:28 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 1, Vi wrote:A mature player will be aware of how certain actions make them look and perform them to suit their purposes regardless of alignment. Now that you know they know what they're doing, it's up to you what to do with that information.

Of course, the idea that they approach the game differently from you is open as well. In that case, you should try finding another way to read them, since your first attempts haven't worked.

This is generally true. I'm one of the few that doesn't. Hence why I'm perceived as more of an asshole as town than scum. I just don't take lynching town lightly.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 9, Vampirate wrote:
In post 8, Kublai Khan wrote:

I thought this through and while you are correct, then next logical step is 'prove it'?

If you're lying what are you going to say? That's classified information? I don't want to go through the trouble of going through the records?

If you say yes and can't or won't back it up it makes you look like scum.

Meh. Asking a player for self-meta isn't going to work. I flat-out refuse to do any legwork for anyone trying to meta me. They can go comb through my games if they want. Most meta is weighted far too heavily.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:19 am

Post by Vampirate »

In post 6, Wisdom wrote:I don't care for selfmeta. If I've seen them doing it as town, only then I'll ignore it

True i've always held the belief that all meta does is prove that the person 'might' be doing it as town.

Meta to me is a null tell unless there's something glaring pointing to scum meta I guess.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:37 am

Post by Muffin »

In post 12, Vampirate wrote:all meta does is prove that the person 'might' be doing it as town.

+1
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”