Fake Claims

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:42 am

Post by Ankamius »

The possibility of it being a fakeclaim.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:38 am

Post by ika »

who said they had to be cannon with everthing is my big quesiton i would make a setup and just randomize everyone on who is otnw and who is scum
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:45 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 51, ika wrote:who said they had to be cannon with everthing is my big quesiton i would make a setup and just randomize everyone on who is otnw and who is scum

For the sake of a theme game, stuff being canon makes sense.

Like, if I played a Harry Potter themed game, and drew Town Voldemort, that's breaking Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a start.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:48 am

Post by Ankamius »

You have to find a balance between reasonable game balance and adherence to the original material. It's not always possible or reasonable to do that, Davsto.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:46 am

Post by saulres »

In post 52, Davsto wrote:Like, if I played a Harry Potter themed game, and drew Town Voldemort, that's breaking Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a start.

You are Voldemort. Recently you've come into possession of a previously-unheard of Trelawney prediction that you're worried will come true. It says if you work with certain Death Eaters, you will fall to the accursed Potter boy. Using an advanced Time-Turner you created, you have traveled back to now, and using a polyjuice potion, disguised yourself as one of the unnamed Hogwarts students that no one knows. You must help the Hogwarts team find those Death Eaters, who are also disguised, and kill them so that you never will work with them, and more importantly, retroactively you never will have. For this reason you are aligned with the town.

ANY character, any alignment.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:55 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 54, saulres wrote:
In post 52, Davsto wrote:Like, if I played a Harry Potter themed game, and drew Town Voldemort, that's breaking Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a start.

You are Voldemort. Recently you've come into possession of a previously-unheard of Trelawney prediction that you're worried will come true. It says if you work with certain Death Eaters, you will fall to the accursed Potter boy. Using an advanced Time-Turner you created, you have traveled back to now, and using a polyjuice potion, disguised yourself as one of the unnamed Hogwarts students that no one knows. You must help the Hogwarts team find those Death Eaters, who are also disguised, and kill them so that you never will work with them, and more importantly, retroactively you never will have. For this reason you are aligned with the town.

ANY character, any alignment.

Alternately, you could make a reverse mafia where the "Town" is actually Voldemort and his Death Eaters trying to weed out the "Mafia" of Harry, Ron, and Hermione.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:02 am

Post by saulres »

Yes, but I didn't think that's what he was looking for.

The key thing to remember is that "town" is not the same as "good guys" any more than "scum" automatically means "bad guys". "Town" is a bunch of people working together to stop "scum" who is trying to eliminate them all, as a group. The mod just has to come up with a reason for the disparate members of that town to share that common goal for the duration of the game.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:05 am

Post by Ether »

Honestly, the vast majority of existing stories just don't make any sense as mafia flavor, period. Most stories don't have that kind of subterfuge. Heroes are heroes, villains are villains, it's pretty clear who's what. Even when it isn't clear, that's usually
because
people have goals that are more complicated than just "you win when everyone on the other side is dead."

And that's okay.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
St Constantine the Hermit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:51 am

Post by St Constantine the Hermit »

It might also depend on the specific theme.
If you are doing something like "Batman Mafia," everyone is going to know who the heroes and villians are.

I for one have always wanted to host a Soviet themed game. There would be connections between town and mafia flavor, but it would not be so apparent that a lack of fakeclaims would put to much pressure on the mafia team.
Show
Aye, let old constantine spin ye a tale...

Book of Constantine (Protestant) 214: 112 - God hates you
Book of Constantine (Catholic) 214:112 - God doesn't like you
Book of Constantine (Orthodox) 214:112 - God tolerates you
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:53 am

Post by St Constantine the Hermit »

Agreeing with some other folks. I never hosted a themed game with black and white morality as the basis for town/mafia flavors.
Show
Aye, let old constantine spin ye a tale...

Book of Constantine (Protestant) 214: 112 - God hates you
Book of Constantine (Catholic) 214:112 - God doesn't like you
Book of Constantine (Orthodox) 214:112 - God tolerates you

Return to “Mafia Discussion”