How many games at once can you typically handle?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Post by Ankamius »

In post 71, Firebringer wrote:Arguments for capping games of players at 3 is just bad.
Its a arbitrary number.

If you subsequently replace out/inactive in games, you will be limited to games anyways.

I don't understand how it's an arbitrary number.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 75, Ankamius wrote:

I don't understand how it's an arbitrary number.

I will explain then.

Arbitrary in the sense it was picked out of peoples own personal experience than anything fact based. I will grant there seems to be a majority in this thread who agree they can handle only as much as three games. That still lacks a consensus though, at most thats 6-8 players out of this site?

In order to make it not arbitrary you need to collect information from players on how many they actually could play in before they felt it becoming overwhelming. Then you need to give reasons why this cap is better for site than no cap (which you have done somewhat, but I disagree with the points).

If there's an enforced game limit at all, it should be 3. It wouldn't severely restrict games from taking off while still allowing people to be in enough games that it's very unlikely for all of them to go into night at the same time.

You have facts to support anything you say here?
Define 'severly restrict games from taking off' Take my games, I am currently in about 12 games right now. If you put in a cap of 3 games suddenly there needs to be at least three new players filling all the games I would be force replaced out. That is just for ME. Not for others who play more games, which in likelyhood isn't that many players.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Post by Ankamius »

I chose three for basically those two reasons and nothing else. If you limit the cap to one, then you're out of games to play while that one is in night phase. When you have a cap of two, then it's significantly less likely, but still will show up a decent amount (assuming two week days and three day nights with every day going to deadline, that's still slightly less than half the total time a game is in night phase if there's no overlap.) and is worth considering. Once you start getting beyond two, it starts being a statistical anomaly that it shows up.

As for the maximum cap, the two main things I can think of that would make a high cap unreasonable is a) the amount of replacements that would be needed if a certain player was force replaced in every game for whatever reason or gets overloaded and starts flaking out of a lot of games and b) the amount it effects the queue. I can't see any more than five or so having a drastic effect on the site for the second reason (I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people don't go beyond five very often, or very far beyond when they do, but I have no facts to back it up, so YMMV etc.), so it's more an issue of how much effort it would take to recover from people siteflaking out of nowhere or getting banned, etc. while at their cap.

So three was basically a shot at the dark and I don't care enough to refine it beyond that since I don't inherently support capping over not capping (which I thought I had posted before but apparently I dreamed that), but around 3-5 would be my opinion for optimal.
TriforceP
TriforceP
Goon
TriforceP
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Post by TriforceP »

I tend to do four. Two faster-paced games on here, and two more laid back games on my homesite.
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Post by Junpei »

In post 20, Porochaz wrote:Anyone who says anything more than 5 doesn't realise what a dick they are being. Honestly, and that number is probably too high.

yup

whenever i noticed people were in 5+ games they were always lurkers (like oversoul) who didn't do anything useful (I recall multiple games where oversoul was so useless that we lynched him as a proxy lynch because we couldn't decide and he was so absent, ended up being mafia)

and then you have people like psyche who I remember at one point in time was really good but then I remember a later game where he was almost completely useless lmao probably started playing too many games.

i always kept to 2-3 and then eventually went to 1 or 0.
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:07 am

Post by T S O »

fuck oversoul in general
also psyche
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:26 am

Post by farside22 »

I am am about 3-5 games at this time. When I first was playing I had 12 to 14 games going on, don't ask how because I can't remember how I did it.
I have a place I post in private about the game state of each game so I can keep track of what I was thinking of each game and 5 seems to be the max before I feel myself getting overwhelmed.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:30 am

Post by farside22 »

In post 79, Junpei wrote:
In post 20, Porochaz wrote:Anyone who says anything more than 5 doesn't realise what a dick they are being. Honestly, and that number is probably too high.

yup

whenever i noticed people were in 5+ games they were always lurkers (like oversoul) who didn't do anything useful (I recall multiple games where oversoul was so useless that we lynched him as a proxy lynch because we couldn't decide and he was so absent, ended up being mafia)

and then you have people like psyche who I remember at one point in time was really good but then I remember a later game where he was almost completely useless lmao probably started playing too many games.

i always kept to 2-3 and then eventually went to 1 or 0.

Funny enough I don't lurk no matter how many games I have played at once.
Also a cap is dumb.
I do think some players should not play too much and I know a few that do next to nothing who play one game.
There is no perfect solution to game play.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:28 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

In post 67, Ankamius wrote:If there's an enforced game limit at all, it should be 3. It wouldn't severely restrict games from taking off while still allowing people to be in enough games that it's very unlikely for all of them to go into night at the same time.

The biggest problem with a 1-game-at-a-time limit is that people would probably just eventually get fed up and leave the mafia portion of the site if they were forced to just sit there as a VT for three days waiting. I know I would, anyway.

Talk for yourself mate. I try to keep it at max 4-5 these days, but nearly every time one of my games goes to night all other go to night at the same time. I hate having to wait 3 days just so I can post in one game.
Windows hasn't detected any keyboard. Press Enter.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Post by tn5421 »

Given 10-16 hours a day free of any responsibility, I could take 7 games at once and do decent, but I would hate myself. I don't think I'll ever join more than 3 games at once again, less than that if its a large game.
WIP
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

Right now I'm sitting at 3 games. That seems pretty easy because most of the time I have plenty of time to just check it.

I'm guessing my max would be 4-5, but then again, I'm not too active the first day (which may or may not put me on the chopping block), but after the first day, it becomes a bit difficult for me to handle a lot.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Post by Ythan »

Ideally none.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 86, Ythan wrote:Ideally none.

This jokes been done already. Many times in fact.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:59 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

3 is optimal. I've gotten up to 5 and that was too much.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”