Really Good Plays that amazed you

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:35 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 49, Katsuki wrote:LOL that was a good game (mastin got lynched).

Death Note Mafia

We also NK'ed our traitor which was a p. good play that amazed us.

No, that was the first time. He's thinking of Graveyard Shift

nah mastin, you battling me would end with me faking a guilty on you and getting you lynched while you're VLA if i was scum :-P

Though technically, it was Fakegod that claimed the guilty on mastin

I retracted the claim and the lynch happened after we claimed lyncher on her
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:36 am

Post by FakeGod »

damn straight
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:38 am

Post by mastin2 »

There's more than those two games.
kuribo has lead lynches against me, when he was scum, a large number of times.

Even when I was an alt, he did it! Of course, he had no way of knowing it was me, but I did, was frustrated, and yet amused, when it happened.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Post by kuribo »

mastin let's in for a game together so i can fake a guilty on you like old times sake lol
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:01 am

Post by Espeonage »

I'd sheep it to see if kuribo starts spreading mist in the fallout.
Don't @ me.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Spoiler: It's not like I came into this thread hoping anyone was talking about me or anything, baka
In post 20, Elbirn wrote:I'm trying to remember the specifics, but I played a game where scum-varsoon faked a guilty on a cop at day start and got him quick lynched. Fortunately for town twilight was long enough that the cop (shinobi) could get online and out his results. It was day 3, he had an innocent and a guilty on scum klingon celt.

So day 4 starts and varsoon claims miller out of nowhere, and klingon counter claims him. We are confuse. It'd seem the logical chain of events would be for klingon to claim miller, and then for varsoon to counter. They do it backwards and then nothing makes sense any more. Town is baffled, we lynch klingon, and scum varsoon goes on to get away with fake claiming a guilty and then claiming miller for no reason and wins the game.

I don't know if it was good scum play or if town was just bad, but I was impressed, both by what team scum did and by varsoons ability to talk himself out of that one. They also figured out I was the doctor pretty much immediately after a failed nk on the cops-innocent, so bonus points for that.

In post 34, Titus wrote:Varsoon's scumgame
Sonic's gambits
Mastina's reads in any game I am not in.

Thanks Ank. :)

Ahem, anyway, I didn't know people actually thought I was any good at this game. I think I've made some absolutely ludicrous plays, both as scum and as town, but they don't always pay off grandly. I guess I'm kinda humbled people say, "Oh man, that Varsoon guy!" when they're thinking of good plays. Maybe I'm just good at talking myself out of holes and thinking about the angles other people would normally consider.

The game Elbirn is talking about is Classic Rock Mafia. We found out who the cop was, but devised that miller-counterclaiming-miller-claimed-cop strategy as a way to lynch the cop and potentially ride off the coattails of a town-read over a 'failed' gambit. I suppose my ego is full of stuff like that in scum games and town games alike, so if you want to see that sort of stuff just search my topics. I'm always thinking of what the most entertaining plays are, because I think the game should be fun. It should be won, of course, but it players make games fun.

Here are two plays that have really wow'd me over the years:
Pathfinder Mafia: So, we were doing pretty fine for ourselves as scum here. I decided to commit to an awkward hyper-bussing strategy that had a good deal of town fooled and we were projected to swoosh this game into a victory. Andrius then replaces in and does this whole 'RALLY THE TROOPS' schtick, sees right through me despite stringing me along with it, and then proceeds to turbo-lynch the scum team one after another after another. I'm not saying town wouldn't have won without him, but the way he came into the game and just drove that game to town victory was really compelling. I played one of the most hardcore games of scum theater with Jaqen in this one, and while it managed to get him through a few more days, it just wasn't enough to trump town's power and the headway they got from Andrius' crusade.

I can't find the game, but I'm sure someone might remember it. I hope I remember the facts right. Regardless, Nachomamma8 and an ally of his (both scum) weren't even under much pressure, but Nacho decides to bus his partner hard. A fake hammer happens on Nacho, who fake-claims, then turns the tides. The other player gets demolished. Nacho then rides this towncred to victory. It was a great scum-play, and excellently handled scum-theater, just wish I could find the game and give a better account of it.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Post by T S O »

Oh yeah, Varsoon in fucking Calvin and Hobbes Mafia. Horrible times.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:26 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

On a side note, people focus a lot on big, flashy plays (both in terms of threads like this, and in terms of winning scummies) but usually you only have to make a play like that when something has already gone really, really wrong.

The best town play, where several townies figure out who the scum are together and calmly work together to lynch them, and the best scum play, where the town is just chasing it's tails for day after day and never even comes close to finding any scum, never get noticed in threads like this, because it's subtle and quiet, it just wins games. So don't necessarily take things you see in this thread and use them as an example of the "right" way to play.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:04 am

Post by mastin2 »

(Unsurprisingly.)
(I can't get the image to work, but quote this post to see it.)
My academy.
Agnigi
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:58 am

Post by Varsoon »

Oh boy, how I look back upon Calvin and Hobbes and chuckle. That game.

Yosarian2 is right, though. The best plays from each alignment are the ones that simply win the game without contest. Sadly, a lot of the time, this just means realizing the other team is playing poorly and capitalizing on it, letting them tear themselves apart.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 57, Yosarian2 wrote:On a side note, people focus a lot on big, flashy plays (both in terms of threads like this, and in terms of winning scummies) but usually you only have to make a play like that when something has already gone really, really wrong.

The best town play, where several townies figure out who the scum are together and calmly work together to lynch them, and the best scum play, where the town is just chasing it's tails for day after day and never even comes close to finding any scum, never get noticed in threads like this, because it's subtle and quiet, it just wins games. So don't necessarily take things you see in this thread and use them as an example of the "right" way to play.

shh don't tell people my secrets
Gale Wing Srock
Gale Wing Srock
Mafia Scum
Gale Wing Srock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Post by Gale Wing Srock »

In post 57, Yosarian2 wrote:On a side note, people focus a lot on big, flashy plays (both in terms of threads like this, and in terms of winning scummies) but usually you only have to make a play like that when something has already gone really, really wrong.

Actually that is also what I am talking about. You see, plays don't have to be extra ordinary to amaze you. Sometimes ordinary standard plays amaze you for how simple and yet perfectly effective they were. You are more than welcome to share them too.

And thanks a lot for sharing those amazing plays guys. I haven't been able to get to all of them yet, but I will read through them for sure. Its really cool to see that so many amazing plays were made by awesome players, probably we can discuss a few plays to revel at their geniuses.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:40 am

Post by Katsuki »

I agree with this, especially pertaining to scumsweeps, but usually those games end up in town blaming each other for bad play as oppose to recognizing that even in post-game, the scum had them so successfully manipulated that they still could not see HOW the scum managed to exploit their faults to turn the town on one another. The lack of recognition is quite unfortunate really, but it is a trophy in itself as to how successful your play as a team truly was.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:43 am

Post by Katsuki »

In post 17, FakeGod wrote:Solo scum play by Katsuki from Through the Looking-Glass

He was nominated and won the Don Corleone scummy for 2014.

Still think this is the game to read for examples of both exceptional town play by DeasVail and scum play. Going up against DV is easily one of the most challenging experiences I've ever had as scum.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:44 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 62, Katsuki wrote:

I agree with this, especially pertaining to scumsweeps, but usually those games end up in town blaming each other for bad play as oppose to recognizing that even in post-game, the scum had them so successfully manipulated that they still could not see HOW the scum managed to exploit their faults to turn the town on one another. The lack of recognition is quite unfortunate really, but it is a trophy in itself as to how successful your play as a team truly was.

I actually prefer it this way, that way no one suspects you of excess deviousness >_>
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:47 am

Post by Ellibereth »

Strategic lurking is a thing of great beauty.
FLASH OF GREEN
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 am

Post by Katsuki »

LURK2VICTORY is a lost art, sadly.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
- GreyICE

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:52 am

Post by Ellibereth »

I lurk for 2 years and so much has changed. :(
FLASH OF GREEN
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:25 am

Post by FakeGod »

yah you grew a beard
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Post by Magister Ludi »

There was some game way back with a whole lineup of good people; Yos2, MrBuddyLee, I hydraed with Thor, CrashTextDummy, real good game. Large normal.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 69, Magister Ludi wrote:There was some game way back with a whole lineup of good people; Yos2, MrBuddyLee, I hydraed with Thor, CrashTextDummy, real good game. Large normal.
That would be The Death of Reaper Charlie.

(Oh, god I was so terrible. :oops:)

Some of the best townplay around (save mine :facepalm:), some of the best scumplay around, really solid game overall.
My academy.
Agnigi
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Post by Plum »

/Invitational 11: Pick Your Poison 5 saw some excellent plays from both teams, including a brilliant play by Hoopla that effectively negated the Mafia team's one Janitor shot. Scum managed to use a Day 3 where three of their four members were heavily suspected to draw a Tracker counterclaim to DGB (a Goon), after I (Roleblocker, in hydra with my sister) had been pushed to L-1 and claimed VT, leaving me with enough Towncred to pull through the rest of the game. Fate, the last Vig, also effectively concealed that he was the second Vig very very late in the game, keeping him alive, increasing confusion among the Mafia, and revealing himself at a point (though he didn't know this for certain) when Mafia effectively couldn't even try to counterclaim him; however, he still may have revealed himself too soon. An interesting and effective strategy in a semi-open game. Interesting choices by the scumteam to give the Town two Vigs and two Trackers plus a no-kill gambit Night 1 and some luck gave interesting results as well. Worth a read, in my admittedly biased opinion.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”